Petition - Remove the score review system

I would like the AFL to remove the score review system

• Yes

Votes: 79 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 90 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It literally happened in last nights game, a Crows goal got called back from the centre square to be redone as a behind. Please clue up

It literally happened last night in the Swans v North game. McVeigh got a touch, goal awarded. Taking too long with the review, carry on.

Please don't be so introspective. There are 8 other games per week besides Adelaide games.

For people advocating a set amount of challenges per side, this, for me, would really open up the potential to corrupt goal umpires.

Review everything or review nothing.

The system just needs to make a few adjustments.

All goals are reviewed before the next centre bounce, so why are the umpires asking for a review for a goal when its going to be reviewed anyway.

Umpires can review the points.

Another idea, not sure able but to have senses in the ball showing any touches on kicks.

It literally happened last night in the Swans v North game. McVeigh got a touch, goal awarded. Taking too long with the review, carry on.

Please don't be so introspective. There are 8 other games per week besides Adelaide games.

Im not the one making league-wide statements you are.

I think it's time for the system to go. It's one thing to get it wrong in real time, it's another to get it wrong after viewing minutes of replays at every possible angle!

What's the big deal, so we "might" see another Stephen Silvagni moment???

2 unsuccessful challenges per side per game, if the challenge is inconclusive it doesn't get counted as a challenge, same as successful challenges, any player can call for a review within 10 seconds.

2 unsuccessful challenges per side per game, if the challenge is inconclusive it doesn't get counted as a challenge, same as successful challenges, any player can call for a review within 10 seconds.

It would end up being used tactically.

Your opponents have a run on, call for a review (timeout). Blighty would love it, he was calling for time outs years ago for when a side had the momentum against them.

I enjoy all the Geelong fans liking this comment.... I guess they do understand perspective... but only when the boot is on the other foot, still yet to see conclusive proof that Thomas' shoulder connected with Scott Duckwoods head.

You just haven't seen the proper angle then.

In the thread, Lindsay Thomas Reported For High Hit on Scott Selwood, the 11th post in has vision from about 5 angles. At least 3 of them clearly show head contact.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ported-for-high-hit-on-scott-selwood.1191539/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given a siren sounding during play means by definition there is a break in play immediately after, why can't that be reviewed to see if the ball was kicked before or after the siren sounded?

We review everything else around goals, yet an umpire's shitty hearing is shown to be wrong, the evidence is quite clear to overturn it, yet we stick with the original shitty call.

Makes zero sense.

Wish they would just reverse the obvious ones instead of guessing.

Whole point of the system was to pick up the obvious misses, with clear evidence. They overcompensated today because they missed a vital one in the Syd v Nth game last night.

Poster, have another look at the 2011 GF and then get back to us.
I was referring to a shot at goal by Tom Hawkins (IIRC) which clearly hit the post, but was awarded a goal. Given the closeness of the scores, an incident in which goal review would have been very handy. Not a criticism of Geelong. What happened in 2011?

I enjoy all the Geelong fans liking this comment.... I guess they do understand perspective... but only when the boot is on the other foot, still yet to see conclusive proof that Thomas' shoulder connected with Scott Duckwoods head.
Same with Selwood’s hand to Guerra’s ear but he copped 4 weeks for it

I was referring to a shot at goal by Tom Hawkins (IIRC) which clearly hit the post, but was awarded a goal. Given the closeness of the scores, an incident in which goal review would have been very handy. Not a criticism of Geelong. What happened in 2011?
Wellingham hit the post in the third quarter but was paid a goal to put the Pies into the lead
6:55 of this clip

Given a siren sounding during play means by definition there is a break in play immediately after, why can't that be reviewed to see if the ball was kicked before or after the siren sounded?

We review everything else around goals, yet an umpire's shitty hearing is shown to be wrong, the evidence is quite clear to overturn it, yet we stick with the original shitty call.

Makes zero sense.

Hear me out for a minute.
How about we scrap goal umpires and score reviews and just have it so if the ball is kicked thru for a goal doesn’t matter if it’s touchhed or hits the post. Eliminates a whole heap of bullshit and whinging and brings it in line with every other sport on the planet. Umps can still wave the flags and feel relevant but would improve the spectacle immensely I believe. Thoughts?

i hate the system, it ruins the spectacle of the game. It was intended to prevent howlers like hawkins 'goal' that went at a right angle off the post. it wasnt meant to be trying to use 30 fps sd cameras to spot half a fingernail glancing the ball from 35m.

Keep the system in but only use it for:
-hit the post
-touched on the line
-ground ball scramble in the goal square ONLY\

any 'touched' balls outside of that can remain in the realm of acceptable human error. I guarantee you there would be a lot of marks not paid if that same scrutiny was given, and a lot of 'handballs' (particularly over the shoulder tosses) that would be illegal.

Hear me out for a minute.
How about we scrap goal umpires and score reviews and just have it so if the ball is kicked thru for a goal doesn’t matter if it’s touchhed or hits the post. Eliminates a whole heap of bullshit and whinging and brings it in line with every other sport on the planet. Umps can still wave the flags and feel relevant but would improve the spectacle immensely I believe. Thoughts?
No. I love our game, changing the way we score goals to be in line with other sports would be terrible. Let’s just leave our game alone and stop looking for new ways to “improve” it.

Back