Petition to sack Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Attempted board spill?
Hopefully.

JB's legacy continues with Buckley and co I reckon.

Co-location was the preferred model I believe to achieve stability and sacking the coach does not enhance that, but the opposite.

Unless he quits, which he won't, Scott won't be going anywhere until his contract is up.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I see what you mean, and I wouldn't take pleasure in a vindictive, personal way either, but I would take pleasure in the fact that the club will have been brave, willing to take a risk, and content to not just be mediocre. I'd be excited about the freshness that a new guy at the helm would bring. Truthfully, no matter how it happens, I would be pleased he's gone, and honestly I wouldn't be sympathetic, knowing that he's had his time, done well out of us financially, and he'll have a plum media gig available to him.

Agree with most of that and I'm very, very far from a spruiker for him.

However I hope all parties can do this without too much bloodletting. He's been a good man but imo it's over.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Agree with most of that and I'm very, very far from a spruiker for him.

However I hope all parties can do this without too much bloodletting. He's been a good man but imo it's over.
Yeah, I agree. I hope it can happen respectfully, acknowledging his decade of contribution to the club, but also with the realisation that we need someone else to take us forward.

If I'm completely honest with myself, rather than what I hope will happen, I expect that barring some miraculous upswing in form and another top 4 finish this year or next, he'll see out his contract to the end of 2020, and the club and him will frame it as a mutual parting of ways. I'd honestly like to see it happen this year, but I really don't think we will.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah, I agree. I hope it can happen respectfully, acknowledging his decade of contribution to the club, but also with the realisation that we need someone else to take us forward.

If I'm completely honest with myself, rather than what I hope will happen, I expect that barring some miraculous upswing in form and another top 4 finish this year or next, he'll see out his contract to the end of 2020, and the club and him will frame it as a mutual parting of ways. I'd honestly like to see it happen this year, but I really don't think we will.

Concur completely. Amicable parting of the ways, caretaker appointed to properly expose and assess the list. Panel formed to comprehensively find the right coach to take the club to its next premiership. Well all of that in a perfect world.

But it ain't a perfect world...

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brad is doing the same as he did when we're were competitive.

It's not like he wants to lose games of football.

However this issue as I see it is this:
Brad has a game plan/style that he completely believes will win football. It is reliant upon players playing the role he set them. We have cycled through players to find this. However this places limitations on what players can do.

It's why our players look confused had the time.

If you contrast to the noises being made out of West Coast, Simmo creates a situation where a players natural skill and talent is the most important thing. Don't take creative on baller and shove him into a pocket because of some misguided attempt to shoehorn him into the side. Don't take a defensive mid and turn him into a defensive HBF come HFF come HBF.
Sure Simmos team all have roles to play, and each player will sacrifice parts of their game for others. In our team it seem players are asked to sacrifice their games to the game plan and to guarding grass. It's gotta be demoralizing. I mean imagine walking off after losing feeling you may have been able to give more. I'm sure players feel like that.

This ties into why we like senior players so much. They know the role, they may not be as good at football, but they are better at the plan.

Coaching to me seems to be part science part art. Brad is full science, always has been. It's why he hangs on stats.

The players have loved him. He's been a decent media face for the club (some pressers notwithstanding). However it's time. The administration made a mistake in re-signing him ahead of time.
Spot on OF. Great point about the senior players.

And some of the rules changes have been brought in to shift the balance away from the coaches (666, runners) and Brad, despite being on the rules committee, is being exposed more than most. The game has passed his style and he isn't going to re-invent himself, so he really needs to walk.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Going to jump in now against the grain (including my own musings) while the Adelaide game and beyond is still an unwritten future.

I really would not take any pleasure from Brad being sacked. For all the malarkey we throw around here at some level I'm fond of him and haven't heard a bad word about him from those who know him better than most of us.

However I don't think he should be our coach anymore (derr). Hope he steps aside sooner than later just like his predecessor did so that he can walk back through our doors one day and be loved and respected for his role in the club's history and future.

I think and always have that sacking Coaches mid season is distasteful

But then when I see all those protestors today in Melbourne CBD who am I to say

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course we won't.

We are probably paying him way more than what he is worth and given current salary cap restraints these days, it means we are pretty much locked in to a contract or at least that's my perception. Happy to be proved wrong here.

I honestly don't think anything will happen until close to the end of 2020 but that won't stop me from beating the drum and banging doors down every week until it hopefully and rightfully eventuates.

I want my club back!

Simple. don't auto renew your membership.

When the club rings you to ask you why you haven't joined as a 2020 member.

Tell them you refuse to pay Brad Scott's salary for another year.

It worked with Essendon and Matthew Knights....

Supporters stopped going to the games...

And the club was forced to act....

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Matthew Knights yes that’s right and then they replaced him with, ummm, oh yeh...

Yes it was, he's getting quite prickly with the media, most likely because he is feeling immense pressure either from the standards he's set himself or from the club (not to mention those on Big footy!)

I wonder that, its obvious he isn't happy with what is happening, but then ...

FFS He's in a leadership role at the club. He has to wear the consequences of what happens when it goes pear shaped, and being shitty at the people questioning you and then avoiding the questions or giving unacceptable answers is ... well its unacceptable. Then you have players (leaders no less) making media comments about games not being "must win games". Every game is a must win game by definition and especially so for us at this point in the season. They are following his example/leadership and have a mindset that isn't focused on their job - winning the flag.

I haven't listened to his press conferences since early last year (when we were winning) and I decided he just spoke s**t at them cos he didn't want to give the media anything. That's fair enough they give us nothing too but when it degrades to stuff like what he has said this year it sends a terrible message to supporters but also to potential players, future recruits, the rest of the league, our opposition and anyone else who cares to listen.

I get he is trying to find positives but at this point - 0 and 3 - there are * all of them.

Just sit back and ask yourselves, no really I mean it, really look deep inside your souls and ask yourself ..........

Do I really think the club will sack the coach.

I think you will find you wont like the reply.

I don't care if they keep the coach.

There are 3 occasions in the last 12 years when clubs have had coaches that are struggling and looking at the sack. In every case an independent review has turned those clubs around and they've kept their coach. In 2 cases the clubs won flags almost immediately and in the one they were unlucky to lose and we're all glad they did. (Altho watching Denis present Buckley with a premiership could have been good for the awkwardness it brought.)

We need to fix the problems and doing that isn't as simple (or as satisfying most likrly) as calling to sack the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I don't care if they keep the coach.

There are 3 occasions in the last 12 years when clubs have had coaches that are struggling and looking at the sack. In every case an independent review has turned those clubs around and they've kept their coach. In 2 cases the clubs won flags almost immediately and in the one they were unlucky to lose and we're all glad they did. (Altho watching Denis present Buckley with a premiership could have been good for the awkwardness it brought.)

We need to fix the problems and doing that isn't as simple (or as satisfying most likrly) as calling to sack the coach.

The board probably mirror the football department.

Rather than the more complicated task of managing players out of the seniors during seasons they opted to blindside them with delistings late in the year.

By the same token I'd guess the board would rather sack the coach than go through the longer more uncomfortable process of putting him 'on notice' and doing a full review.

The board probably mirror the football department.

Rather than the more complicated task of managing players out of the seniors during seasons they opted to blindside them with delistings late in the year.

By the same token I'd guess the board would rather sack the coach than go through the longer more uncomfortable process of putting him 'on notice' and doing a full review.

Then at some point they'll need the same treatment I guess.

CarnTheKANGAS

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I just did this, I wrote and sent an email to Ben Buckley, Carl Dilena and the membership department...

Hi,

Please stop sending me emails regarding North Melbourne membership or attendance offers.

I will not join a membership (over 30 year of being affiliated with NMFC (also speaking on behalf of my father & mother) until Brad Scott and the other coaches are removed. He has had more than his share of time in the top job, however the time has now come where he is having a detrimental and demoralising effect on the club. He and by extension the board by not acting are playing directly into AFL HQ hands by jeopardising the ongoing wellbeing of our great club. This is being done remarkably through increasing our irrelevance through disenchanting and disenfranchising our passionate member / supporter base, into a group who is ceasing to care.

It's getting desperate.

Shame on you NMFC. Do something.

I was a little surprised and disappointed by the quality of the response provided by the customer service team:

Hi

Thanks four email today.

I have removed you from our mailing list.

Last edited:

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think B scott has done admirable job since he has taken over as head coach. What has he not achieved a premiership. Well only 2 coaches in the history of the NMFC have achieved that so he is not alone there. I cannot think of any major things that have gone wrong for him as coach on or off field I realize most people are impatient and want success all the time don't we all. We have been around for 150 years I don't think B Scott being coach will jeopardise us not being around for the next 150 years
We have been in a lot worse situations than we are now and here we are still.
It more than likely is time for a change probably do the club and the players the world of good fresh faces new ideas I just think a bit of respect for a guy who has put his heart and soul into the NMFC would not go astray.

I just did this, I wrote and sent an email to Ben Buckley, Carl Dilena and the membership department...

Hi,

Please stop sending me emails regarding North Melbourne membership or attendance offers.

I will not join a membership (over 30 year of being affiliated with NMFC (also speaking on behalf of my father & mother) until Brad Scott and the other coaches are removed. He has had more than his share of time in the top job, however the time has now come where he is having a detrimental and demoralising effect on the club. He and by extension the board by not acting are playing directly into AFL HQ hands by jeopardising the ongoing wellbeing of our great club. This is being done remarkably through increasing our irrelevance through disenchanting and disenfranchising our passionate member / supporter base, into a group who is ceasing to care.

It's getting desperate.

Shame on you NMFC. Do something.

I was a little surprised and disappointed by the quality of the response provided by the customer service team:

Hi

Thanks four email today.

What did you expect? They did what you asked them to do.

CarnTheKANGAS

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What did you expect? They did what you asked them to do.

I'd expect a simple 2 second review of what was written before hitting send.

I'd also expect a level of professionalism to be exhibited especially considering the reply was to a "lost" customer.

"
Hi

Thanks four email today.

"

The whole joint needs a broom swept through it.

I think B scott has done admirable job since he has taken over as head coach. What has he not achieved a premiership. Well only 2 coaches in the history of the NMFC have achieved that so he is not alone there. I cannot think of any major things that have gone wrong for him as coach on or off field I realize most people are impatient and want success all the time don't we all. We have been around for 150 years I don't think B Scott being coach will jeopardise us not being around for the next 150 years
We have been in a lot worse situations than we are now and here we are still.
It more than likely is time for a change probably do the club and the players the world of good fresh faces new ideas I just think a bit of respect for a guy who has put his heart and soul into the NMFC would not go astray.
Respectfully, I disagree on the bold.

9 years is an eon for an AFL coach. 9 years and no Grand Final appearance, resulting in stagnant on-field performance and supporter exasperation, in no way whatsoever equals impatience.

The best part of a decade is surely long enough to make a reasonable assessment & call for a shakeup without being labelled impatient?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Hi

Thanks four email today.

Regardless of what they thought about your mail that is an appalling response.

Basically handling a customer complaint by saying "ok, bye".

Did they bother to put a name to the response?

CarnTheKANGAS

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Regardless of what they thought about your mail that is an appalling response.

Basically handling a customer complaint by saying "ok, bye".

Did they bother to put a name to the response?

Yes they did, though I don't wish to throw anyone under the bus on an internet forum - I can detail the role of the responder is that from "Consumer Sales & Service Officer".

I have forwarded the email response to Ben Buckley and Carl Dilena

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yes they did, though I don't wish to throw anyone under the bus on an internet forum - I can detail the role of the responder is that from "Consumer Sales & Service Officer".

I have forwarded the email response to Ben Buckley and Carl Dilena

Yeh I don't think the Customer Service Manager at the club would think that was a great way to handle critical correspondence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back