Petition to the club to appoint Shawry as our next coach

Remove this Banner Ad

The swarming pressure isn't new but I personally think our physicality at the moment is well above what say Richmond were delivering in 2017-18. They swarmed but there was nowhere near the brutality to it. Long way to go though.

Oh they are all over us at the moment. Once against Richmond was an outlier. Four weeks of it (if anything we've been harder week by week to beat) and running GWS to the line (who then struggled massively the week after) and demolishing Collingwood is getting noticed. What's interesting is that while noting the bye, we don't appear to be struggling to back up week by week at the moment - ie. it appears this style is hurting them more than us, for now.

There's no immediate rush to sign Shaw IMO, but I'd be pretty pissed off if the club had already decided to go with say Longmire without letting most of the season play out. End of the day, Shaw has them play out the majority of the year in this fashion I think we'd be idiots to let him go for just about anyone that looks gettable.
It’s no mosquito fleet running around it’s extreme pressure with wrecking balls.
A thing of beauty.

My concern with brutality is the fine line between ‘ouch’ and “Hi, I am Mr Christensen”
Happy to wear the odd week or two.

We will need to get used to losing the free kick count though. The bald headed flogs won't like this style of play. Ever.

It’s no mosquito fleet running around it’s extreme pressure with wrecking balls.
A thing of beauty.

Yep. Your teammates aren't going to thank you if you give them the hospital handball with Jed bearing down only for Turner or JZ to smash you into the turf. The beauty of this approach is that it pressures team unity and tries to fracture the structure that lets teams compete. Collingwood broke down completely on Saturday and I think GWS were kept in it by umpiring as much as anything. Other teams will notice by now though and either attempt to match our physicality or avoid it...

We just have to have the depth to cover the odd suspension and we have to trust the team to do their best to keep it within the rules as much as physically possible
Whoever comes in has to apply the physical pressure as well.

This is a club thing not a team thing.

Hit to hurt or don't play.

Yep. Your teammates aren't going to thank you if you give them the hospital handball with Jed bearing down only for Turner or JZ to smash you into the turf. The beauty of this approach is that it pressures team unity and tries to fracture the structure that lets teams compete. Collingwood broke down completely on Saturday and I think GWS were kept in it by umpiring as much as anything. Other teams will notice by now though and either attempt to match our physicality or avoid it...
Keep playing the same and we’ll inflict psychological trauma on the afl, just like the 90s. I’m pretty sure Buckley had seen that style of play before. After Saturday night, I’ve heard his wife started turning on the night light again.

ptsd_brain1.png

Last edited:
Sure, there's a fine line but the reality is that we've seen a guy like Durdin go for what was effectively a nothing incident - the modern game is that players will get suspended at times for playing what most of us consider football. We just have to have the depth to cover the odd suspension and we have to trust the team to do their best to keep it within the rules as much as physically possible.

Well I wasnt especially thinking about a Durdin....will you be so calm if its 2 weeks for Jed-JZ-B10?

Well I wasnt especially thinking about a Durdin....will you be so calm if its 2 weeks for Jed-JZ-B10?

Probably not, that's not the point I'm making though. The point is that players can easily get suspensions nowadays for being a bit unlucky - better off going hard and confidently about it. I wasn't saying I didn't care because it was Durdin - more that it could be anyone at anytime. They don't need to be stupid about it, but I tend to think the benefits are bigger than the negatives with this approach. I'm happy for them to taper it slightly when we have wins locked away and 40 points up at the end of a prelim...

It actually shapes this week as an interesting game.

Form says we should win this.

Current style says we should win

'Home' ground advantage says we should win

Will we be as up for it as we have been?

Every game tells us something different now and St Kilda is as valuable as anyone for the reasons above. It's a unique situation having a caretaker who has eyes on the permanent gig because of this real time on the job data the club can gather.

Traditionally we hit these sorts of games as favourites and either capitulate or look largely disinterested before a big kick in the arse to get going for a short burst.

With the Shaw brand of play coupled with a subtle selection shift like making an entrenched leader have to come back via the VFL, will players be more accountable for a full game?

Saints might lack polish but at their recent best (2017) they're quite willing to play the physical pressure game too. Shall be very interesting to watch how we go as the in-form team entering a contest.

Every game tells us something different now and St Kilda is as valuable as anyone for the reasons above. It's a unique situation having a caretaker who has eyes on the permanent gig because of this real time on the job data the club can gather.

Traditionally we hit these sorts of games as favourites and either capitulate or look largely disinterested before a big kick in the arse to get going for a short burst.

With the Shaw brand of play coupled with a subtle selection shift like making an entrenched leader have to come back via the VFL, will players be more accountable for a full game?

Saints might lack polish but at their recent best (2017) they're quite willing to play the physical pressure game too. Shall be very interesting to watch how we go as the in-form team entering a contest.

I'm not only rapt at how we are playing I am genuinely interested in what Shaw does and how he approaches things. And its unreal that i'm not the only one either. Its like a breath of fresh air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever comes in has to apply the physical pressure as well.

This is a club thing not a team thing.

Hit to hurt or don't play.

And what really impressed me on Saturday was if anything the boys were going harder at the ball the further the game went. At no stage did they take the foot off the gas.

I rarely get close to where the players race is so maybe this is how they are after every win, but on Saturday sitting on the opposite side to our usual seats, as they came off there seemed to be an air of excitement right throughout the players. Sammy Durdin, who probably played his best game for the club, was like the cat who had just got the cream.

And what really impressed me on Saturday was if anything the boys were going harder at the ball the further the game went. At no stage did they take the foot off the gas.

I rarely get close to where the players race is so maybe this is how they are after every win, but on Saturday sitting on the opposite side to our usual seats, as they came off there seemed to be an air of excitement right throughout the players. Sammy Durdin, who probably played his best game for the club, was like the cat who had just got the cream.

For me the biggest question now is sustainability of effort.

The last 6 weeks of footy needs to just become how we play.

The excitement can help sustain it.

I would like to finish the remaining games as far from the Freo or Good Friday games as possible.

We do that and I think Shaw puts himself in a position where he can't not be given the job.

Some very positive signs for Shaw but still don’t see the need to rush into signing him.

His back to basics idea, pressure/motivation, and shuffling player positions have all been winners.

On the other end: GWS saw an advantage and opened the ground on us after half time, Shaw showed some inexperience when failing to respond. Understandable as he is also learning.

Let’s wait and see what else he can do.

Took me a while to get to this thread as I'm not big on fan petititions. Should have realised as it's Horace that there's no petition as such - he would only know how to do one involving lots of sheets of paper and signatures in pen, and that's hard to get up and running.

Pretty sure the club has the mesage that the members and everyone else absolutely love what Shaw is doing, and as I said in the other thread, they must have started with a high opinion to give him the caretaker job after onbly a few monmths at the club.

I think it's sweet and respectful how everyone is drilled to say North is just continuing Scott's work, nothing much changed, just a bit simplified and higher energy with a fresh voice, but clearly much more has changed than that - selection, relationships with all the players, and even more who plays where, for how long, and how much responsibility and freedom they are given in games.

I'd be sorry if they locked themselves into getting Horse before seeing how this interim arrangement would work, because it would be ideal to give it another 3-4 weeks and see if Shaw has done enough by then. Love that we have a couple of strong candidates and Shaw will be a much better known quantity than your average assistant.

As a Manchester United supporter, my only fear is that we might be experiencing the “Solskjaer effect”. When he first took over the job as caretaker, he oversaw a 10/11 game winning streak. All the players who had been flat suddenly started to perform. Case in point, Paul Pogba. However, once they lost a couple, everything went back to like when Jose was in charge. Unfortunately, they’ve already signed up Solskjaer. I, actually, don’t think he’s up to it. I hope I’m wrong. Regardless, Shaw is a different person and we should judge him on his merits. I just wouldn’t rush into it, that’s all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Took me a while to get to this thread as I'm not big on fan petititions. Should have realised as it's Horace that there's no petition as such - he would only know how to do one involving lots of sheets of paper and signatures in pen, and that's hard to get up and running.

Pretty sure the club has the mesage that the members and everyone else absolutely love what Shaw is doing, and as I said in the other thread, they must have started with a high opinion to give him the caretaker job after onbly a few monmths at the club.

I think it's sweet and respectful how everyone is drilled to say North is just continuing Scott's work, nothing much changed, just a bit simplified and higher energy with a fresh voice, but clearly much more has changed than that - selection, relationships with all the players, and even more who plays where, for how long, and how much responsibility and freedom they are given in games.

I'd be sorry if they locked themselves into getting Horse before seeing how this interim arrangement would work, because it would be ideal to give it another 3-4 weeks and see if Shaw has done enough by then. Love that we have a couple of strong candidates and Shaw will be a much better known quantity than your average assistant.

Insert BraveheartHoldHold.jpg

As a Manchester United supporter, my only fear is that we might be experiencing the “Solskjaer effect”. When he first took over the job as caretaker, he oversaw a 10/11 game winning streak. All the players who had been flat suddenly started to perform. Case in point, Paul Pogba. However, once they lost a couple, everything went back to like when Jose was in charge. Unfortunately, they’ve already signed up Solskjaer. I, actually, don’t think he’s up to it. I hope I’m wrong. Regardless, Shaw is a different person and we should judge him on his merits. I just wouldn’t rush into it, that’s all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Simply cross the Pennines old chap, and see what a wonderful job one of your old boys is doing in South Yorkshire :)

Everyone should find a pic of Shaw and put it as their profile lol

I know people from the AFL and our footy club reads this forum

Let’s make a Shaw movement on BigFooty

There are some similarities here with the Sydney/Roos situation years ago. A deal with Wallace was seemingly done, but th players forced the club’s hand.
Anyone remember the players gathered around Roos on the ground after a win and chanting “Roosey!, Roosey!”? The club had little choice other than to appoint him.

I’d like to see something similar from our lads for Shawry.

P.s. side question: how did it come to pass that Pagan was offered a renewal with a 30% pay cut? Was it just our financial situation or was there more at play?

P.s. side question: how did it come to pass that Pagan was offered a renewal with a 30% pay cut? Was it just our financial situation or was there more at play?

We had atrocious off-field management at the time. They lowballed Pagan then came up with a patched up deal where he could make up the shortfall to reach his previous wage by doing various other media and promotion commitments. So not only would still be a senior coach, he now had to do extra jobs just to achieve parity.

This is a 2 premiership coach who took a side that hadn't see finals for the previous 8 years into the next 8 finals series. Then after a year out got them back in the finals after losing his best player at the start of the season.

I didn't like the way Pagan communicated his exit but looking back it was a hellishly insulting offer from us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back