Strategy Petrie, Waite, Brown, Black, Wood, Daw - Let's sort it out

Who starts Round 1? (Choose as many as you think should play)

• Petrie

Votes: 93 95.9%
  • Waite

Votes: 92 94.8%
  • Black

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Brown

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Daw

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Wood

Votes: 82 84.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
For me:
Petrie and Waite are locks
Wood (if he plays, I'm not sure I'd start him round 1 but he needs games this season) more on a wing than a forward
Daw to start the year in the twos (though there's been some impressive improvement
Coin flip between Brown(provides ruck chop-out) and Black (gives another dimension to our forward line.

With you on Petrie and Waite.
Woods ability to rotate onto the wing should see him get early games. Up to him to keep his spot.
Agree on Daw.
For me Black had to play and play well against Richmond to get a go round 1. I don't think he was rested, therefore I can't see him playing round 1. Maybe some time in the VFL will allow him to gain some confidence.
That leaves Brown. I think he will play, not sure if his NAB form warrants it, and a forward line that big concerns me from a defensive perspective. Then there is Thomas, Turner and Higgens to fit in.
Could Mason wood play the sub? All I know is I'm glad I'm not on the selection panel.

Petrie and Waite locked in.

Love the look of Wood in 2015. Dunno if we'd throw him into the cauldron for round one in place of Black but I'm not totally aware of where Black's at fitness wise either.

I think Brown will play, albeit looking a tad underdone.

We certainly have a few options, that's for sure.

Petrie + Waite Locks (Although I expect Waite at least to get rested several times in the year)

Brown can chop out Goldie (would love goldie to have 5% less gametime, Unleash him fit and firing in finals), is decent at grown level for a giant, and generally seems a pretty switched on bloke. Also less concerned about him losing confidence, he's had a better pre season than last year, and CAN perform in the big games.

Wood > Black at the moment. So Wood for me. Truth be told we could prbobably play both of them in the same team with the three above, if they were both in good form. Both athletic, both good runners, both good at ground level. Just because they're tall, doesn't mean they're 'talls'.

Black at the moment needs to find form and confidence. He can do that in the magoos. Wood needs to be rewarded for his improvement, and given a real go.

Daw looked to have improved, and I'm more than happy for him to keep playing in the VFL until he's in good enough consistent form to demand AFL, now that I have the belief he CAN improve.

So yeah. Waite, Drew, Brown, Wood for me. Wood to mostly play as a winger.

If we're locking Drew and Waite.......I would then go Wood. Brown, Daw and Black to the maggoos. Black has to pull a digit out and Brown slips in uncontested if it means we can exploit the opposition defencive set up. Tarrant is a lock for me as well.

Can Wood be our sub?? If a mid goes down he can offer something, if a forward goes down the same.

I have a thing in my head, stats may prove me wrong that it takes about 3 or 4 rounds for the big forwards to find touch and play their best footy.

This is why I want us to be mobile and have the extra run:

Waite, Petrie, Wood and Black all play. Sorry Big Ben, you miss out.

The hardest selection week I can ever remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Wood be our sub?? If a mid goes down he can offer something, if a forward goes down the same.
Interesting idea and something I hadn't considered. First reaction was I cant see why not although I doubt he is worse than our 21st player atm.

On topic the consensus seems to be Petrie, Waite and Wood with some also including Brown. Seems fair. I would think though that match committee would go with 4 talls to try and overwhelm Adelaides defence as they look shaky after Talia.

Petrie, Brown, Waite and Wood, in that order, but they all play.

Majak to continue his improvement in the VFL, knowing he has a spot if Petrie or Waite need a rest.

Aaron Black plays when he is fit, which is not in round 1, but not at the expense of the above four. He's a "tall forward' (whatever that means) but can play up the ground if need be and in fact I think would do well on a wing.

HF: Wood, Petrie, Harvey
FF: Thomas, Waite, Brown

Wood has taken Black's spot at the minute. I've got all the faith in the world that Black will get his 2013 form back but he has to take and earn Wood's spot.

Yep, I'm going to agree with the Petrie, Waite, Brown and Wood calls. Petrie and Waite are locks, Wood is mobile enough to move to a wing/act as a crumber if need be and Brown can chop out in the ruck (even if it is only for a few minutes).

Waite, Petrie and Brown.

Black doesn't deserve a spot on current form and Wood has shown more this preseason anyway.

Petrie and Waite are locks. And beyond that.....buggered if I know TBH.

Couldn't understand why Black was left out yesterday. Does that mean he is a lock or does that mean he is behind Brown and Wood? Buggered if I know.

After arguing that Brown doesn't look ready in NAB 1 & 2, he looked good yesterday, and did the backup ruck work, rather than Dish. Does that mean he is likely to get the gig for round 1? Buggered if I know.

Wood has looked most impressive playing as a mobile marking forward moreso than as a wing. Has he done enough to earn the spot as 3rd tall ahead of the more established guys, Black & Brown? Buggered if I know.

And is Daw now being viewed primarily as a ruckman or still being developed as a forward/ruck? Buggered if I know.

So in summary, I expect our round 1 forward setup to be Petrie-Waite-Wood......no, wait, Petrie-Waite-Brown.....or perhaps, Petrie-Waite-Black....or could it be Petrie-Waite-Brown-Wood....bugger it, I have NFI.

Daw and Black miss out. Daw a bit unlucky but Black really needs to play in VFL and get some touch. Does does not deserve a game.

Brown can give Goldstein relief and plays. I rate him.

Wood is an emerging star and must play.

Petrie and Waite the locks. (Drew please sort yourself out on goalkicking please!!)

I have long been in favor of Wood as sub. With his big tank and marking ability he could do a lot of damage in the second half, especially with some of the intensity having gone. I think this is his achilles heel at the moment...although he has improved his tackling, he is still a little half-hearted in attacking the contest. Would be very happy to have Wood as sub for round 1.

I have long been in favor of Wood as sub. With his big tank and marking ability he could do a lot of damage in the second half, especially with some of the intensity having gone. I think this is his achilles heel at the moment...although he has improved his tackling, he is still a little half-hearted in attacking the contest. Would be very happy to have Wood as sub for round 1.

I think Wood gets at least a few full games and be backed in. I think having as sub can be difficult to get game tempo, and he has too much talent to play there IMHO B2B.

Back