Strategy Petrie, Waite, Brown, Black, Wood, Daw - Let's sort it out

Who starts Round 1? (Choose as many as you think should play)

• Petrie

Votes: 93 95.9%
  • Waite

Votes: 92 94.8%
  • Black

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Brown

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Daw

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Wood

Votes: 82 84.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie,Waite,Wood and i can't leave Brown out because he really had a Crack yesterday he was running everywhere..

Petrie, Waite and Wood.

Would rather Wood play around half forward than on a wing which is likely what would need to happen if we were to play Brown up forward, otherwise we would be too top heavy. Harvey and Higgins as the smaller half forwards, Wood as a hit up marking target, Thomas to do as he does and Waite and Petrie as the two keys.

Playing all four means we drop a dedicated runner which is not ideal, especially if we want to continue to rotate our key mids at about 75-80% game time.

I think Wood gets at least a few full games and be backed in. I think having as sub can be difficult to get game tempo, and he has too much talent to play there IMHO B2B.
Fair call.

It is just a the quandary as to who misses out. Yesterday, Brown reminded us as to why he is such a valuable player - he is a smart footballer who brings others into the game and seems to straighten up our forward line a bit, which is amazing for such a young player. At the same time, I wouldn't have a problem with Wood being given time to establish himself in the seniors, as his talent is already there, but his potential is also huge. Even the commentators were salivating about him yesterday, when they pulled up his attributes chart, or whatever they call it, suggesting "North might have found one here".

Wood / Petrie / Higgins
Turner / Waite / Thomas

Love Black, was my favourite 2013 player but he needs to get his confidence back before he can be considered a lock again.

Petrie + Waite Locks (Although I expect Waite at least to get rested several times in the year)

Brown can chop out Goldie (would love goldie to have 5% less gametime, Unleash him fit and firing in finals), is decent at grown level for a giant, and generally seems a pretty switched on bloke. Also less concerned about him losing confidence, he's had a better pre season than last year, and CAN perform in the big games.

Wood > Black at the moment. So Wood for me. Truth be told we could prbobably play both of them in the same team with the three above, if they were both in good form. Both athletic, both good runners, both good at ground level. Just because they're tall, doesn't mean they're 'talls'.

Black at the moment needs to find form and confidence. He can do that in the magoos. Wood needs to be rewarded for his improvement, and given a real go.

Daw looked to have improved, and I'm more than happy for him to keep playing in the VFL until he's in good enough consistent form to demand AFL, now that I have the belief he CAN improve.

So yeah. Waite, Drew, Brown, Wood for me. Wood to mostly play as a winger.
This, and for those reasons.

Not sure where the Brown is underdone stuff comes from. Last week he looked a bit rusty and needed to blow out the cobwebs, but he seemed okay against the Tiges. He's such a natural and, as for the perception that four talls make us too top heavy, he and Wood aren't your lumbering types. How often is Brown linking up on the wing, or picking up from his feet, or making searching leads? Wood, as we know, is an endurance athlete.

Daw still needs to maintain the development trajectory and Black needs game time and to rediscover his mojo a bit. It wouldn't be the worse thing for him to have to fight his way back and I sincerely hope he does.

Fair call.

It is just a the quandary as to who misses out. Yesterday, Brown reminded us as to why he is such a valuable player - he is a smart footballer who brings others into the game and seems to straighten up our forward line a bit, which is amazing for such a young player. At the same time, I wouldn't have a problem with Wood being given time to establish himself in the seniors, as his talent is already there, but his potential is also huge. Even the commentators were salivating about him yesterday, when they pulled up his attributes chart, or whatever they call it, suggesting "North might have found one here".

Yeah it's no surprise as even in his draft videos he looked to have plenty of talent - i'm surprised he went so late actually, his highlights looked better than Garners yet went later (not saying Garner is a bad pick, I like him also)

It is a difficult decision I agree, but off Togers game it has confirmed to me that Drew, Waite, Brown and Wood is a very good combo and all deserve a spot.

I understand if others leave out Brown or pick Maj or Black though, it's not easy!

This, and for those reasons.

Not sure where the Brown is underdone stuff comes from. Last week he looked a bit rusty and needed to blow out the cobwebs, but he seemed okay against the Tiges. He's such a natural and, as for the perception that four talls make us too top heavy, he and Wood aren't your lumbering types. How often is Brown linking up on the wing, or picking up from his feet, or making searching leads? Wood, as we know, is an endurance athlete.

Daw still needs to maintain the development trajectory and Black needs game time and to rediscover his mojo a bit. It wouldn't be the worse thing for him to have to fight his way back and I sincerely hope he does.
You make a good case Kimbo, but it has been pretty clear from the first NAB games that all of Petrie, Brown, and Black were well short of their best, with their lack of match practice, with Waite looking a class above. The Tigers match shows how important getting the three games into Dish and Brown have been. After yesterday, I would be more than comfortable seeing Big Bad Ben's name on the team list for round 1.

The great thing is that all of Waite, Black, Brown, and Wood have more strings to their bow than just the mark and kick game which our triple towers of Petrie-Hansen-Tarrant was based on.

You make a good case Kimbo, but it has been pretty clear from the first NAB games that all of Petrie, Brown, and Black were well short of their best, with their lack of match practice, with Waite looking a class above. The Tigers match shows how important getting the three games into Dish and Brown have been. After yesterday, I would be more than comfortable seeing Big Bad Ben's name on the team list for round 1.
It's where they finish at the end of three games, isn't it?

It's where they finish at the end of three games, isn't it?
Indeedy-doo. Both Petrie, despite the kicking, and Brown looked ready to go after yesterday's effort. It just reminds how much of a better side we looked last year with Brown (and Turner for that matter) in the team. Petrie's form improvement coincided with Brown's emergence. Ben is such a smart, team-oriented player and we got a nice reminder of that yesterday.

Last edited:
Petrie, Waite and Wood.

Would rather Wood play around half forward than on a wing which is likely what would need to happen if we were to play Brown up forward, otherwise we would be too top heavy. Harvey and Higgins as the smaller half forwards, Wood as a hit up marking target, Thomas to do as he does and Waite and Petrie as the two keys.

Playing all four means we drop a dedicated runner which is not ideal, especially if we want to continue to rotate our key mids at about 75-80% game time.

I like this setup also, with Harvey, Higgins, Thomas and Wood it's an extremely mobile quick forward line with Petrie and Waite as genuine tall marking threats if we need to go long.

Couldn't give a s**t what people think, that forward line will be considered in the best 3 in the league by the end of the year.

Thomas and Higgins will kick 40+, if Petrie and Waite can both get close to that also, we'll be in a GF imo.

I like this setup also, with Harvey, Higgins, Thomas and Wood it's an extremely mobile quick forward line with Petrie and Waite as genuine tall marking threats if we need to go long.

Couldn't give a s**t what people think, that forward line will be considered in the best 3 in the league by the end of the year.

Thomas and Higgins will kick 40+, if Petrie and Waite can both get close to that also, we'll be in a GF imo.
Two of the top 11 contested marks in the league, one of the premier small forwards, an agile and powerful hit up marking target and two highly skilled and seriously damaging roaming half forwards. Throw in Turner, occasionally rotate throughWells, Cunnignton and Ziebell and that is quite a dynamic mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who wants Wood on the wing who is dropped? Harvey, NDS, Higgins, Wells, or Gibson? I do love our depth at the moment.

I do not believe Petrie, Waite and Brown can play in the same team. Brown missing out would be unbelievably harsh which is why I'm still puzzled by Waite's recruitment.

I'd like to see Petrie, Waite and Wood for Rnd 1. I think there is room for Black as well but he needs to earn it.

I think you've answered your own mystery. If Scott and the match selection committee didn't think Petrie, Waite, and Brown could play together, then picking up Waite would be 'puzzling'. So perhaps this constitutes evidence that they will try to play a reconstituted triple towers. I think it is worth a try. The more class we have in the midfield, the better we can kick to advantage, and the more difficult it will be to prevent tall timber from marking. It may be a structure that we only try to use under the roof at home, but that's plenty of games anyway...

Higgins Petrie Wood
Thomas Waite Brown

don't mind it either

Edit: our mids would have to be on their game because the ball could come out pretty quick with such a stacked forward line. Don't think we can go really tall forward and back, just seems like a lot of work for the mids.

Wood has earned his spot in the pre-season. Black hasn't. Daw is a mile off which is a shame. The others are locks.

I honestly wouldn't say a mile back.

In the event of a Goldstein injury (god forbid), what do we do? Bring in Currie? Play Maj and Brown as 50-50 ruckmen?

Back