Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Clyde wishes to thank you all for your birthday greetings. He had a great day, errrr he has a great day everyday. :thumbsu:

On a side note, if you recall my concern regarding the dog at the back breaking into my yard. The goss on maggie is the dog's "parents" have split, errr dad was "playing away :thumbsdown:and got SPRUNG"..tssk tsssk. and got his marching orders. That probably explains why I haven't heard hide nor hair of the dog as he probably went as well. My life is so tame.

I've been invited to share my story on this board by a North supporter.

I moved up to North Queensland from Victoria at the start of the year. I like it up here except for one thing. Cane toads. They are everywhere and I hate them. I have two terriers who unfortunately are finding them a bit of a novelty and like to chase them.

Last night I took them out for a walk about 7 o'clock. We walked along this wall that had a few geckos on it. My girl, Bella, jumped at and caught what I thought was just a gecko.

IMG_0704-1.jpg

Bella

About five minutes later she dropped to her belly and wouldn't walk any further. Since we've been up here she's been doing that a fair bit when she thinks it's too hot to walk. So I said "Come on" and dragged her by the lead a bit. When I dragged her I noticed her back legs weren't moving. She then started shaking. I realised straight away that it must have been a cane toad. I picked her up and ran home. When I put her down at home she lay on her back and started convulsing.

My nephew called the vet and we rushed over there straight away. In the car she was quite still but when the vet put her on the table she started convulsing madly and I thought she was going to die. I couldn't stand to see my girl in this condition and had to go outside. When I went back inside she had calmed down and the vet had put her on a valium drip. I asked the vet if she was going to be ok. He said he didn't know but that if she didn't die during the night she would be ok. The vet said he would call me if she deteriorated.

We went home and I bawled my eyes out. Jack knew that there was something seriously wrong. Usually he's energetic and happy. But he was just laying on the floor looking sad. They haven't been seperated since I got them four years ago as puppies so I didn't how he would cope if Bella died.

IMG_0706-1.jpg

Jack

About two hours later the vet called. I had my heart in my mouth when he called because I thought he said he would only call if she died. However he said that she was awake and looking around which was a promising sign but said that she still wasn't out of the woods. I tossed and turned all last night.

I turned up at the vet's about 8:30 this morning, full of dread. Even though the vet had said it was looking promising I was expecting the worst. When the vet told me she was ok the relief was so overwhelming I burst into tears again. My family aren't really animal lovers. Even though they like my dogs and were very supportive last night (my sister drove around to give me a cuddle while I was bawling my eyes out) I think they think I'm a bit crazy for being so attached to my dogs but they're my babies and I love them to death.

The vet said to let her rest for the day and pick her up after work. I picked her up at 2 o'clock. Jack was so happy to see her he tried to hump her, even though both are desexed. She's still a bit sedated and sleepy and has mostly been sleeping on my lap all afternoon. But I'm so relieved she's ok. I know I'll have to lose her one day but I wasn't ready to last night.

We understand the attachment you have for your dogs, they are like family :)

Hopefully Bella has a good memory and that next time she sees a cane toad, she'll stick clear.

Thanks Dan.

The vet said that once dogs have been poisoned by a cane toad they usually learn their lesson and stay clear. Hopefully Jack took a lesson from it as well and stays away.

Hiya Noddy,

Thanks for posting.

I guess you've read through the rest of this thread, so you'll know the ups and downs that others here have also shared.

It's one of the great dilemas of having pets isn't it? We all know that they will die sometime, but we are never really ready for it when the time comes. Having said that, I'm glad it wasn't Bella's time and that she is ok now.

The bloody awful feeling of not being able to help when your pet is in pain is made doubly bad because you are the one that is supposed to provide the comfort and relief.

It just sucks to see them sick or in pain.

Cheers Shinboner Baz.

Bella has the cutest habit. She'll hop on the bed or couch and look like she's about to dig. She'll look at me until I say, "Don't you dig". When I say that she'll starting growling and digging. She doesn't use her claws so the furniture doesn't get ruined. I found a video on YouTube of a dog doing it.

[YOUTUBE]z-ywS3wEiKI[/YOUTUBE]

They definately are a big part of the family and I am hoping to get another Dog , spoken to a few people and some have said they haven't got another Dog and others have said it took them a few yrs. I have only spoken to one person who got another Dog within a month or two.
Worst thing about a Dog is they don't live long enough , would also get Pet insurance next time as well as you stated Gabbie the fees are not cheap.

Yeah I think I'll have to get pet insurance too, especially with the cane toads up here. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap(relatively) the vet was the other night. I was expecting the bill to be at least a grand but they only charged me $300.

Cheers Shinboner Baz.

Bella has the cutest habit. She'll hop on the bed or couch and look like she's about to dig. She'll look at me until I say, "Don't you dig". When I say that she'll starting growling and digging. She doesn't use her claws so the furniture doesn't get ruined. I found a video on YouTube of a dog doing it.

[YOUTUBE]z-ywS3wEiKI[/YOUTUBE]

My Jack does the same thing on our couch, but only we have to tell him to stop straight away because he'll tear up the couch if we let him lol.

I've been invited to share my story on this board by a North supporter.

I moved up to North Queensland from Victoria at the start of the year. I like it up here except for one thing. Cane toads. They are everywhere and I hate them. I have two terriers who unfortunately are finding them a bit of a novelty and like to chase them.

Last night I took them out for a walk about 7 o'clock. We walked along this wall that had a few geckos on it. My girl, Bella, jumped at and caught what I thought was just a gecko.

IMG_0704-1.jpg

Bella

About five minutes later she dropped to her belly and wouldn't walk any further. Since we've been up here she's been doing that a fair bit when she thinks it's too hot to walk. So I said "Come on" and dragged her by the lead a bit. When I dragged her I noticed her back legs weren't moving. She then started shaking. I realised straight away that it must have been a cane toad. I picked her up and ran home. When I put her down at home she lay on her back and started convulsing.

My nephew called the vet and we rushed over there straight away. In the car she was quite still but when the vet put her on the table she started convulsing madly and I thought she was going to die. I couldn't stand to see my girl in this condition and had to go outside. When I went back inside she had calmed down and the vet had put her on a valium drip. I asked the vet if she was going to be ok. He said he didn't know but that if she didn't die during the night she would be ok. The vet said he would call me if she deteriorated.

We went home and I bawled my eyes out. Jack knew that there was something seriously wrong. Usually he's energetic and happy. But he was just laying on the floor looking sad. They haven't been seperated since I got them four years ago as puppies so I didn't how he would cope if Bella died.

IMG_0706-1.jpg

Jack

About two hours later the vet called. I had my heart in my mouth when he called because I thought he said he would only call if she died. However he said that she was awake and looking around which was a promising sign but said that she still wasn't out of the woods. I tossed and turned all last night.

I turned up at the vet's about 8:30 this morning, full of dread. Even though the vet had said it was looking promising I was expecting the worst. When the vet told me she was ok the relief was so overwhelming I burst into tears again. My family aren't really animal lovers. Even though they like my dogs and were very supportive last night (my sister drove around to give me a cuddle while I was bawling my eyes out) I think they think I'm a bit crazy for being so attached to my dogs but they're my babies and I love them to death.

The vet said to let her rest for the day and pick her up after work. I picked her up at 2 o'clock. Jack was so happy to see her he tried to hump her, even though both are desexed. She's still a bit sedated and sleepy and has mostly been sleeping on my lap all afternoon. But I'm so relieved she's ok. I know I'll have to lose her one day but I wasn't ready to last night.

I feel for you and your issue with cane toads. Going by your pics your woofers are small and the toxin on a toad can kill a small dog.

My late Bonnie was the hunter in our house and only once she got her gob around a live toad. Managed to get her to drop it, she vomited up her breakky and I forced water down her throat. She was lucky she was a bigger dog and was only a little sick. No vet visit required. Locals have told me in future if she had one in her mouth after getting it out to put the hose in the side of her mouth to get as much water down her as possible.

After the initial toad episode she didn't go near them again. Though Clyde the guts thinks nothing of trying to snack on a dead well flattened one on the roadside, not my idea of a fun walk getting one out of his gob.

A tip for getting rid of toads, DETTOL 50/50 or 60/40 measure with water in one of those spray bottles you can buy for $2 or so in any supermarket. Aim, spray and watch those suckers hop away. The tree huggers say it's cruel but it's not their pet who's life is in danger. Or a nine iron helps. With the mega rain they come out at night so keeping woofers inside does help.

Welcome to the Tropics!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear, I think I've made a rod for my own back.:eek:

Last night a mega thunder and lightning storm. Clyde not a fan of thunder and letting off barks so I let him jump up on the bed for comfort, a first!!! as when Bonnie was there he would snuggle up to her for comfort. Well, he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. Might have to hit that one on the head as he hogs half the bed!!!!

Thanks Dan.

The vet said that once dogs have been poisoned by a cane toad they usually learn their lesson and stay clear. Hopefully Jack took a lesson from it as well and stays away.

Glad to hear Bella pulled through. Hope she's learnt her lesson. At mine it was the female who was the hunter.

Don't worry about the blubbering, I ran into someone I knew y'day and when she asked "how's things" was almost a blubbering fool in the middle of the shopping mall when I told her my Bonnie had gone to heaven a couple of weeks ago.

It's easier to break up with a boyfriend and than lose ones pet. At least with break ups you get to the anger stage and want to plan their down fall, you know, voodoo dolls and pins.

Yeah I think I'll have to get pet insurance too, especially with the cane toads up here. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap(relatively) the vet was the other night. I was expecting the bill to be at least a grand but they only charged me $300.

Hey Noddy, I'm glad Bella pulled through:thumbsu:. The symptoms sound a bit like snake bite.

A friend of mine recently paid $3000+ to the vet and the surgeon. His dog needed knee operation for an ACL. He said he'd never heard of such a thing for dogs and the vet said it's a very common injury in dogs.:confused:

My friend checked out pet insurance and he reckons they've got some sort of qualifying period for ACLs.

Oh dear, I think I've made a rod for my own back.:eek:

Last night a mega thunder and lightning storm. Clyde not a fan of thunder and letting off barks so I let him jump up on the bed for comfort, a first!!! as when Bonnie was there he would snuggle up to her for comfort. Well, he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. Might have to hit that one on the head as he hogs half the bed!!!!

Jack goes under my bed :p

[YOUTUBE]8ojFwNBSIf0[/YOUTUBE]

This is my boy :)

That's a nice video Chad :) What breed is Hank?

Jack goes under my bed :p

Poor Jack. Last night Clyde slept on his OWN bed. It's been big wet ones here since the night before last, persistantly raining as I type but managed to get a walk in this morning. Clyde not a happy camper with all the rain, can't go and roll around on the grass!!

That's a nice video Chad :) :thumbsu:What breed is Hank?

Good obedient dog there Chad. Don't think the Lab was too impressed, looked like a youngster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back