Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed this thread , we had to put our Dog of 11 and a half years asleep the other week. Was a very sad day indeed you don't realise how much apart of the family they are. The vet came to our house and when he asked us what to do it was very difficult . I had to leave my wife stayed with him . He did go off in style though in the front seat of the Vets BMW. He will continue to be a North member Forever he has already been one for 5 years. Not sure if we will get a Dog for a while though.

Condolences also from me Ashley, I know it's going to be hard when ours eventually go, especially Archie who was our first dog as a family and both my wife's and my first dog since we were kids. We had to put our 12 year old cat to sleep about 9 years ago and that was tough too.

A big AAAWWWW from me Dan.

That's one thing I miss about my two, not knowing what they were like as puppies but I have an idea that Clyde was the bouncy cheery type who got into more mischief and Bonnie the Miss Too Cool for School.

We have a similar story with Marvin, but at least we saw him as a puppy although he belonged to another family member, Archie on the other hand has been camera fodder since the day he came home. Here's another couple of him as a puppy.

4771014740_dc303622d6_z.jpg

4771016588_09895292d9_z.jpg

They definately are a big part of the family and I am hoping to get another Dog , spoken to a few people and some have said they haven't got another Dog and others have said it took them a few yrs. I have only spoken to one person who got another Dog within a month or two.
Worst thing about a Dog is they don't live long enough , would also get Pet insurance next time as well as you stated Gabbie the fees are not cheap.

They definately are a big part of the family and I am hoping to get another Dog , spoken to a few people and some have said they haven't got another Dog and others have said it took them a few yrs. I have only spoken to one person who got another Dog within a month or two.
Worst thing about a Dog is they don't live long enough , would also get Pet insurance next time as well as you stated Gabbie the fees are not cheap.

Maybe a dog or two from the Lost Dogs Home or whatever you have in your town/city as they come snipped, needles etc for a fee and you will be doing them a favour. I think if you have a big enough yard two woofers is good as they have a mate to play with when you are out. Take your time deciding when you are prepared to look into getting a new dog, you'll know when it's the right time.

Remember the puppy scene in Will and Grace when Grace bought Will a Lab - "you had me at hello". :thumbsu:

Yes to pet insurance though I looked into it for mine but as they are getting on, don't tell them that, it wasn't worth it as I wouldn't be refunded much if at all for any ops.

Condolences also from me Ashley, I know it's going to be hard when ours eventually go, especially Archie who was our first dog as a family and both my wife's and my first dog since we were kids. We had to put our 12 year old cat to sleep about 9 years ago and that was tough too.

We have a similar story with Marvin, but at least we saw him as a puppy although he belonged to another family member, Archie on the other hand has been camera fodder since the day he came home. Here's another couple of him as a puppy.

4771014740_dc303622d6_z.jpg

4771016588_09895292d9_z.jpg

Archie the Manipulator.:thumbsu:

Yeah two Dogs would be good as they can keep each other company when you are out. If you insure your Dogs as pups does that benefit you when they get older as far as what refunds you receive?

Can't help you on the insurance there but be best to shop around and investigate. Some charge around $50 a year per pet.

Having a pup insured would pay off as pup's need a series of shots (?) like little kids.

Ok thanks, will definately be getting it for our next Dog.

Just read my post on this, apols as I hope it made sense but I was in a "flap" due to plumbing issues at home, phone ringing, was all happening.

Yes good idea especially if buying a puppy or 2. A local here on maggie has two woofers and was glad he had insurance as one of them needed an operation which cost over $400 and it was all due to a grass seed getting in the dog's ear. :eek: Don't know what your local vet charges but my two have their annual shot for a grand total of $195.00 for the two of them. I've also spent $950.00 on an operation they needed 18 months ago - both had a minor lump on their trunks..Oi

I could take them to town on the ferry but the logistics of muzzling two active if older dogs over there is just too hard to think about.

2-3 months ago, Jack being a naughty boy....

How clever is Jack.:thumbsu: Wish I could teach my two to wipe their own backsides and clear up their "mess". :thumbsu:

I see packet of dry dog food in background Dan, what sort is that?? I feed mine Dry Lite and Mature, or chicken necks or some green vegie rice/pasta thing I whip up.

Saw this link on my FB page. Might help those of us who live near bush.
http://www.snakerepellent.com.au/

A bit pricey but may pay to search around for better deal. I use online for my orders of Frontline and Sentinal and other pet stuff, way cheaper than pet shops etc.

How clever is Jack.:thumbsu: Wish I could teach my two to wipe their own backsides and clear up their "mess". :thumbsu:

I see packet of dry dog food in background Dan, what sort is that?? I feed mine Dry Lite and Mature, or chicken necks or some green vegie rice/pasta thing I whip up.

Saw this link on my FB page. Might help those of us who live near bush.
http://www.snakerepellent.com.au/

A bit pricey but may pay to search around for better deal. I use online for my orders of Frontline and Sentinal and other pet stuff, way cheaper than pet shops etc.

It's puppy dog food from the US. The previous owners of Jack are professional dog breeders and they suggested that food was best for Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a random pic I took last night.....

20111119220411.jpg

Tucker all gone I see or just waiting?

So, Dan who cleans the floors at your place??? Lovely polished wood but I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy with doggy claws making scratch marks everywhere. My two get fed outside, well most the time except for the corner crusts of my toast each day and glad I've got tiles as they can't do much damage on them, tho still a pain to keep dust and dog hair free.

On a side note, it's schoolies here on Maggie and blow me down the people who organise festivities have set up a marquee and portable fencing at the park WHERE I WALK MY DOGS, there is plenty of space for them still BUT not happy to see empty UDL and other brand cans onlong the verge of the road this morning. Trying to distract Clyde from chasing after a wallaby who was lurking around a clump trees was fun as well.

Tucker all gone I see or just waiting?

So, Dan who cleans the floors at your place??? Lovely polished wood but I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy with doggy claws making scratch marks everywhere. My two get fed outside, well most the time except for the corner crusts of my toast each day and glad I've got tiles as they can't do much damage on them, tho still a pain to keep dust and dog hair free.

On a side note, it's schoolies here on Maggie and blow me down the people who organise festivities have set up a marquee and portable fencing at the park WHERE I WALK MY DOGS, there is plenty of space for them still BUT not happy to see empty UDL and other brand cans onlong the verge of the road this morning. Trying to distract Clyde from chasing after a wallaby who was lurking around a clump trees was fun as well.

Nah just the water bowl :)

The claws however were an issue when was a rambunctious little pup running all over the place. These days though his claws are not all that sharp given that we take him for walks most days. The walks on the concrete/pavement make his claws blunt.

Few weeks ago....

downloadfile6.jpg

Who's a clever boy!!:)

My neighbours over the back fence have a Staffy (Pokey) who I now call Steve McQueen - the great escape after his digging under fence to come visit mine. He had a surprise visitor in his dog house the other day, a yellow belly black snake :eek: Didn't trouble him at all but I believe snake gonski via the owner. I hope.

Mine don't have their own kennels, They have THE HOUSE. tho I have an undercover area the length of the back of my house where their frame beds are for those times I'm out.

Big steamy ones here early this morning, it was 27 deg and 80 percent humidity at 7 a.m. and I wouldn't be surprised if it was that at 5.50 a.m. when I headed out for walkies..they were puffing big time, along with me.

Jack sleeps on the couch. The family are against having him sleep in the kennel outside, fair enough. He spends more time on top of it like its some sort of alter/throne :p than he does in it.

The couch is a no go zone for my two as there would be no room for ME. :D

I bought them each these fouton cushion things that are supposed to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter. I have the foutons on top of low height mattress thingys just to make it more comfy for them.

The couch is a no go zone for my two as there would be no room for ME. :D

I bought them each these fouton cushion things that are supposed to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter. I have the foutons on top of low height mattress thingys just to make it more comfy for them.

These?

dining-chair-pad-seat-cushion-rapee-futon-cotton-indoor-outdoor-au-australia-wa-sa-tas-vic-nsw-act-qld-nt-retail-online.jpeg

They look alright, might get Jack one for Christmas.

These?

dining-chair-pad-seat-cushion-rapee-futon-cotton-indoor-outdoor-au-australia-wa-sa-tas-vic-nsw-act-qld-nt-retail-online.jpeg

They look alright, might get Jack one for Christmas.

No not those tho they look good. I bought my dog beds from Pets Plus online. The first ones I bought, see below, was pricey but had good values BUT Bonnie has this thing with foam rubber. She hates anything with foam rubber in it and will chew and tear it apart. I bought these because they're supposed to memorise dog's shape and mine being older I thought good for them. Ha famous last words.

dogmemory.jpg

Sooooo, after Bonnie destroyed most of her bed and had done damage to Clyde's I threw the pricey ones in the bin and they now kick back on these futon beds with a car type mattress for dogs underneath for extra comfort. You can wash the cover and the mattress in the washing machine as well.

dogfuton.jpg

I also buy their worm/heart stuff from Aussie Pets direct which isn't too bad a site but not much stock in the bedding and accessories.

Those beds come in different sizes which is great when you have larger dogs.

Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back