Family & Relationships Petty Dealbreakers

Remove this Banner Ad

catch me at the ruby room friday nights and see for yourself. follow the blinding light of the thick gold chain around my neck.
Haven't been to the ruby room in years. Guess I'm showing my age ;)

Eve/Ruby Room same s**t.

Paramount 2002 or GTFO.

ahh some fun and yucky memories at the paramount

when you started travelling around a bit and saw more of the world, did you start feeling sorry for yourself as an 18 year old for the poverty selection of night venues you had at your disposal when you reached clubbing age?

Ha I think I pulled at Paramount during Uni games in 2004, having earlier that day shot fish in a barrel.

No my memory has failed, it was actually The Deen. Is that worse?

when you started travelling around a bit and saw more of the world, did you start feeling sorry for yourself as an 18 year old for the poverty selection of night venues you had at your disposal when you reached clubbing age?
Try coming of age in Adelaide in the early 90s, there were some real dumps I can remember. The only good thing compared to today is you could smoke inside, not that that's a deal breaker for me anymore.

LOL, yup.

I didn't club much at 18 let alone at any other age. Not my thing and got over the novelty quick smart. Plenty of Perth late nights out (ie home by 1 or 2) visiting dumps like Mustang Bar, The Deen, The Shed etc. because that was what 18/19 year olds did. I'd shudder to think how many dollars I've spent in CBV over the years, too.

Overseas is literally a different world, though. I wouldn't think to go out at midnight in Perth, why would I? Where would I go? Went out at midnight once in Helsinki spur of the moment then stumbled in the next morning 20 minutes before needing to leave and catch a ferry. Have been out on a weeknight for the sake of it in Germany and ended up in a club the size of Metro City absolutely pumping. Street drinking, stocking up on booze to drink on a two hour train ride between to go and party in another city then sleeping on the early morning train back, beach bars, bars in castles, New Orleans ridiculous open container laws... fun times. Shadiest club I've ever been in was in St Petersburg. Had definite murder vibes about it.

Going to shitty pubs and clubs is part of growing up.

LOL, yup.

I didn't club much at 18 let alone at any other age. Not my thing and got over the novelty quick smart. Plenty of Perth late nights out (ie home by 1 or 2) visiting dumps like Mustang Bar, The Deen, The Shed etc. because that was what 18/19 year olds did. I'd shudder to think how many dollars I've spent in CBV over the years, too.

Overseas is literally a different world, though. I wouldn't think to go out at midnight in Perth, why would I? Where would I go? Went out at midnight once in Helsinki spur of the moment then stumbled in the next morning 20 minutes before needing to leave and catch a ferry. Have been out on a weeknight for the sake of it in Germany and ended up in a club the size of Metro City absolutely pumping. Street drinking, stocking up on booze to drink on a two hour train ride between to go and party in another city then sleeping on the early morning train back, beach bars, bars in castles, New Orleans ridiculous open container laws... fun times. Shadiest club I've ever been in was in St Petersburg. Had definite murder vibes about it.

Going to shitty pubs and clubs is part of growing up.

Yeah. I can't help but burn with jealousy and people that grow up in those big lovely European cities and casually enjoy such things that you mentioned that are such a novelty to Australians. bastards. i want to drink a cappuccino at midnight ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try coming of age in Adelaide in the early 90s, there were some real dumps I can remember. The only good thing compared to today is you could smoke inside, not that that's a deal breaker for me anymore.
Had the Black Rose switched over by then Gough ? For me it was Bojangles and Norfolk Arms were the usual go. Didn't bother going into Jules as that was the wog pub

It's just half plus seven for the younger. So for the older you do dinner algebra and it becomes (32 - 7)*2 = 50. Bit old but much more reasonable.
So I end up with 20.5 and 40
I'd feel weird with anyone under 24 or older than 36 though
(And in practice/based on my dating history , I have mostly been with guys close to my age ie ~1-3 years older)

So I end up with 20.5 and 40
I'd feel weird with anyone under 24 or older than 36 though
(And in practice/based on my dating history , I have mostly been with guys close to my age ie ~1-3 years older)

The girls that date men 20+ years older tend to have daddy issues of some sort.

French Quarter is all kinds of awesome.

Certainly is.

NOLA still as a high crime rate but the place feels so accepting. Black, white, gay, straight - whatever. I went into a gay bar with a lesbian girl I met there, then into some spots where we were the only white faces and it was just business as usual.

Some of the places I went to in Nashville I wouldn't dream of going into with a short haired with wearing a t-shirt and Doc Martens.

Certainly is.

NOLA still as a high crime rate but the place feels so accepting. Black, white, gay, straight - whatever. I went into a gay bar with a lesbian girl I met there, then into some spots where we were the only white faces and it was just business as usual.

Some of the places I went to in Nashville I wouldn't dream of going into with a short haired with wearing a t-shirt and Doc Martens.
You want to try rocking up at a god forsaken dorp in the Northern Transvaal sporting long blond hair tied back in ponytail. Only place I've ever been where the whole western style the bar falls completely silent when you walk in rang true.
I spent the whole time in New Orleans seeing music, I had the most amazing ten days of life.

Yeah. I can't help but burn with jealousy and people that grow up in those big lovely European cities and casually enjoy such things that you mentioned that are such a novelty to Australians. bastards. i want to drink a cappuccino at midnight ffs.

Perth needs cafe bars. Benny's in Freo kind of is on a larger scale, but it's not a common thing and needs to be.

If you have a cafe, then you pretty much have everything you need for a bar. Just put on some music and pour wine instead of coffee, and you've effectively got a 2nd business on the same premises.

Europe has a lot going for it and it's easy to think the grass is greener, but most kids there probably dream of growing up somewhere where Summer lasts 3 months not a couple of weeks, you have a pool in your backyard, can just go to a white sand beach whenever you want and it won't be full of hairy middle aged men in smugglers etc.

You want to try rocking up at a god forsaken dorp in the Northern Transvaal sporting long blond hair tied back in ponytail. Only place I've ever been where the whole western style the bar falls completely silent when you walk in rang true.
I spent the whole time in New Orleans seeing music, I had the most amazing ten days of life.

A Billy Birmingham NTTAWWTter ponytail!

Music in NOLA is out of control. I stopped at the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets and there was a group of black dudes playing brass instruments. Would've been at least half a dozen and I swear a couple more turned up with instruments and joined in. Hung around for a good 10-15 minutes just watching them play it was that good.

Then popped into some bar which was practically empty (was still early ish) and had a girl singing to an audience of no one. She belted out one of the harder Michael Jackson songs and hit every single note perfectly. Ridiculously talented and probably earning nothing for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back