raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canterbury Cincinnati
Still working on it and enjoying it. It took me a while but I think I have found my gap in the literature so feel like I can direct my research now rather than just reading up on a number of different topics. I do get your point RichLeMonde and have found what you said about supervision to be especially true. But I'm doing this purely for personal reasons rather than any career-oriented goals so it doesn't particularly perturb me.

RichLeMonde

All Australian
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Still working on it and enjoying it. It took me a while but I think I have found my gap in the literature so feel like I can direct my research now rather than just reading up on a number of different topics. I do get your point RichLeMonde and have found what you said about supervision to be especially true. But I'm doing this purely for personal reasons rather than any career-oriented goals so it doesn't particularly perturb me.
That's great to hear. I think doing it for personal reasons rather than career ones really helps ameliorate the disappointment with supervision, departments, the tertiary sector, whatever. If you're only doing it for its own reward, then anything you get is a bonus.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Anybody here finished or working on a PhD? I have just started mine. My thesis is in the area of Russian Literature. Looking forward to it but it's a bit daunting at the same time.

Any tips or advice?
I have nothing of merit to add since my highest level of education is undergrad, but here's my favourite song by one of my favourite bands you might like

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canterbury Cincinnati
Not that it probably means a whole lot but I got an HD for the Research Methodologies course I did this semester. I have enrolled in the Confirmation of Candidature unit next semester which is basically my probation ticked off. Still really enjoying it, though the direction I have been heading has changed a bit. Now looking at the representation of nation in Russian camp narratives.

tangolikelama

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nice stuff OP. I just finished my Honours thesis (15k words) and received a first class. I genuinely loved the process (I was lucky with my supervisor) and would love to pursue further research but with the state/future of academia I'm not sure if it would be wise to pursue a PhD.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canterbury Cincinnati
I just finished Master and Margarita, loved it. Are there any papers you can recommend that discuss it's themes, etc?

Great book. A couple of papers I would recommend:

Val Bolen - Theme and Coherence in Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita
Richard Pope - Ambiguity and meaning in The Master and Margarita: The role of Afranius.
L Rzhevsky - Pilate’s Sin: Cryptography in Bulgakov’s Novel, The Master and Margarita

Remove this Banner Ad