PhD

Remove this Banner Ad

He is very uncommunicative. He rarely replies to any of my emails. If he does he is very vague. A couple of weeks ago I sent him my confirmation of candidature proposal. He read a draft that I had sent him several months ago. He sent it back and said it needed more work. Well duh! I then sent him the latest copy again. This time he said it was ready for submitting. But he has had to be walked through the whole Confirmation of Candidature process. He has supervised students before so why he isn't familiar with this process I don't know. Last week I sent him some forms I had filled out that needed to be filled out by him as well. Yesterday I get an email from him saying that he needs these forms to submit my confirmation of candidature proposal. I sent him a reply saying, "Yes, those would be the ones I sent you last week". He is seriously doing my head in. And this is just the start of my candidature....
Pretty sloppy supervising. Even if he's teaching, handling other students and doing administrative work, he has to be more organised. That's why Professors are paid the big bucks! And also why I have no intention of becoming one myself. Good luck anyway :)

For me it's purely the challenge. It's something I've always wanted to do. It's not really a stepping stone for anything at the moment, I have a good career,lthough that's not to say I won't look at possibilities when I finish. Russian literature has always been something I've been extremely interested in so I really don't see it as a chore. That's not to say I'm expecting it to be easy or undemanding by any means. I loved university and study. I could have done it the rest of my life. Sitting in class and listening to professors of Literature talking about Dickens, Woolf, Joyce, the Brontes. Loved every minute.
How did you go? All finished?

I finished last year. Big into Bakhtin which you would probably appreciate!

I'm working fulltime (teaching) while working on mine. I'd love to have more time to spend on it. Maybe in a couple of years I'll drop back to working part time so I can complete it. Good luck with the job hunting. Hope you get something soon.
Just saw this one. You probably haven't finished yet. To finish mine I had to take a year and a half of unpaid leave and move in with my in laws 😂😂😂. I was doing the full time thing as well and I never would have finished without the full 1.5 years of focus.

How did you go? All finished?

I finished last year. Big into Bakhtin which you would probably appreciate!

Still working on it. About a quarter of the way through. I have til 2026 to finish it. I feel like I'm on the right track though. I know where I'm going. It's just a matter of getting there.

I'm using Bakhtin a lot in my thesis, especially his theory of carnival.

An update. Just finished my 3rd chapter of a proposed 6 chapters. Pretty happy with how I'm tracking. My supervisor has been a lot more involved. I wonder whether he waits to see how invested we are in finishing it before he becomes too involved. Probably has a lot of students who commence then realise they're not really that committed. I read somewhere that less than 50% of enrolled PhD students actually finish. Anticipating finishing by the end of next year which is a couple of years before it's due so I'm happy.

An update. Just finished my 3rd chapter of a proposed 6 chapters. Pretty happy with how I'm tracking. My supervisor has been a lot more involved. I wonder whether he waits to see how invested we are in finishing it before he becomes too involved. Probably has a lot of students who commence then realise they're not really that committed. I read somewhere that less than 50% of enrolled PhD students actually finish. Anticipating finishing by the end of next year which is a couple of years before it's due so I'm happy.

That's brilliant mate, well done. Always thought I might end up doing further studies, but after a few years out of it and reading this thread I realised I don't want that at all lol

That's brilliant mate, well done. Always thought I might end up doing further studies, but after a few years out of it and reading this thread I realised I don't want that at all lol
Lol I did a grad cert part time while working full time. That was hard enough! Enjoyed it though.

Would love to do a Masters bit time and dineros just not available.

They say PhD is a way is life, you are either all in or not in at all.

Keep it up, raskolnikov

Finished mine 3 years ago.

Generally enjoyed the experience especially as the subject aligned with my everyday work.

Was lucky with having 2 excellent supervisors, one who knew the subject well and one who was good at getting me through the process.

Has definitely helped work wise, the Dr in front of your name is basically shorthand for expertise.

Finished mine 3 years ago.

Generally enjoyed the experience especially as the subject aligned with my everyday work.

Was lucky with having 2 excellent supervisors, one who knew the subject well and one who was good at getting me through the process.

Has definitely helped work wise, the Dr in front of your name is basically shorthand for expertise.
Plus, we get to use the special Doctor handshake…

People who have completed a PhD. Did you include a lit review as part of your thesis? Not sure whether I'm meant to or not.

People who have completed a PhD. Did you include a lit review as part of your thesis? Not sure whether I'm meant to or not.
Yes, that goes in the first chapter. Your PhD work is meant to be unique and never done before, but it's always inspired to an extent by someone else's previous work.

I did one in my introduction chapter for my history PhD. Covering an eighty year period, I had to break up the lit review into the major schools of thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone read Jill Biden's dissertation? I would expect more from my grade 8 English students.

Has anyone read Jill Biden's dissertation? I would expect more from my grade 8 English students.
Skimmed. Pretty typical for most education dissertations that I’ve read. They don’t tend to flow the same way as most humanities dissertations.

If you've not been told that you have to include a lit review, then you probably don't. I know it's often a requirement, but not always. When it is, I would have thought you'd be ask to produce the lit review relatively early in your candidature.

If you've not been told that you have to include a lit review, then you probably don't. I know it's often a requirement, but not always. When it is, I would have thought you'd be ask to produce the lit review relatively early in your candidature.
I completed a lit review as part of the coursework I did before I was confirmed but my thesis has changed substantially since then. My supervisor is on study leave at the moment so I'll have to wait til he gets back to ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back