Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

The bengals game the obvious low point. I thought Pederson had lost the team at that point, but on the plus side he managed to bring them back.

:rolleyes: I can't believe you're still clinging to that. He didn't "bring them back" - he never lost them!

Ok, well... End of the season. We know the obvious big time upgrade needs at WR, and CB, as well as adding young talent to the O-line.

True - but surely an even bigger priority after the last few games is getting Lane Johnson a personal minder. I knew he was very good - but I had no idea that he was among the biggest, if not the biggest piece on our offence until we lost him and then he came back. It's terrible that he had to get a 10-game ban to really demonstrate what a ******* A+ lineman he is, but I don't reckon there would be anyone who doubts that now.

In terms of adding talent to the O-line, I hope we're thinking guards. I think Babre and Vatai aren't terrible stop gaps at tackle, but we're still missing genuine beasts inside.

Realistically we are probably at least another year away from fixing all the holes in this team. Only so much cap space and draft picks. What would everyone say our biggest need is? And where should we address it, the draft or FA?

I'd really like us to take Dalvin Cook in the draft.

I don't think a RB is our top priority. I know the Cowboys showed how you could build an offence around an A-grade RB, but I think those players are few and far between.

I would love to think Mike Williams would still be available to us (assuming he nominates for the draft). I've seen him slip in a couple of mocks, which is weird to me, because he's clearly the best receiver, and possibly the only genuine A-Grade receiver in this years draft.

I think we've seen just enough - but only just - to give Agholar and DGB another season, but we absolutely don't want them being our 2nd and 3rd receivers next season. And even the return of Desean Jackson wouldn't change WR being our biggest need. I'm never usually a fan of "back to the future" signings.

Other than that, CB and guard are our biggest needs, with RB probably 4th behind those.

:rolleyes: I can't believe you're still clinging to that. He didn't "bring them back" - he never lost them!

The Bengals performance speaks for itself, as compelling as your eye rolling is.

True - but surely an even bigger priority after the last few games is getting Lane Johnson a personal minder. I knew he was very good - but I had no idea that he was among the biggest, if not the biggest piece on our offence until we lost him and then he came back. It's terrible that he had to get a 10-game ban to really demonstrate what a ******* A+ lineman he is, but I don't reckon there would be anyone who doubts that now.

In terms of adding talent to the O-line, I hope we're thinking guards. I think Babre and Vatai aren't terrible stop gaps at tackle, but we're still missing genuine beasts inside.

If it were possible I'd also be drafting a replacement C. Kelce will start there next year, but at some point we need to groom a replacement and I'd prefer it to be someone larger. I'm quite high on Seumaulo. He might be the next centre, but at the same time I'd be comfortable with him at left guard.

We need to draft our right tackle of the future. If we get another year out of Peters it will be his last.

So its pick 14 in the end. Minimal trade down in effect.

Actually we could slip to #15. As the Vikes finished tied with the Colts on both head to head and strength of schedule, the issue of who gets #14 is going to be decided by a toin coss between the Vikes and the Colts.

Our first round pick will be whichever one (14 or 15) the Vikes get from that toincoss.

For those that don't remember, we got the Vikes first rounder via the Bradford trade.

I think we have so many needs that there are almost no positions we could say we are really "set" at (except QB and maybe D line).

Much depends on the outcome of some of the free agency discussions, especially as we have so little cap space to spare. One site has us as currently being only $520,000 under the cap for next year, just with existing contracts!!

While it would be nice to think we could get a DJax or someone similar at WR in free agency, it will require fairly creative trading away of some of the big contracts, or a restructuring of some.

Connor Barwin and Ryan Matthews are two of the more obvious targets to be moved on to free up cap space - but whatever we get from them going probably won't be enough to keep Bennie Logan, let alone go after a star WR.

Much of the draft needs analysis will depend on how you think the free agency situation will play out. And I am stuffed if I can see us having the same success at moving contracts that we had last off season.

Its really hard to put any weight into today's win, it had the feel of a preseason game. Alot of backups playing alot of snaps for both teams. I guess the most encouraging takeaway was Hicks' performance. I would hate to get rid of Barwin, vinny curry on the other hand can go. For all the talk of Roseman making great moves over last offseason, giving Curry a "please stay" contract appears to be a bad move. For all the talk of the 4-3 playing into his strengths, he played more snaps last year and had a better season statistically.

With a few really obvious holes at Oline, WR, RB and CB, I hope we take a talented tackle with one of our first 3 picks. Hopefully he can play at guard initially and move to tackle when Peters retires and Lane moves over. I understand that we really have limited talent at RB and HB, but protecting Wentz on a consistent basis and improving the running game would help. McNabb had Runyan, Herremans and Thomas when that team was a perennial contender. I am guessing over the next few years we will take risks on talented players that have made some questionable decisions in the past. We saw it when we took on Smallwood, and Reid has done the same with Desean, Vick, Marcus Peters and Tyreke Hill. Given this team has a talent deficit, I think Pedersen will be willing to make a few character exceptions if players have exceptional talent.

Hopefully in Free Agency we can pick up a competent nickel corner, so Jenkins can stay at safety on all 3 downs. I hope we do not utilise much resources (Financial/draft pick) on picking up a HB. If you look around the league there are so many players who were picked after the 3rd round who are producing for good teams.

I believe they see us having our two tackles already. Lane to LT. Big V at RT.

Just about if they see Seumalo as C or LG for the future too. Brooks locked into RG.

Only chance I see Peters staying it a large contract restructure. Same with Barwin. Both of them combined cuts will save 16-17m

Mathews is a 4m saving. Definitely cut

Kelce is 3.8m. If they like Seumalo then would be a cut candidate.

I know were light at CB but McKelvin is a 3.2m saving too.

Its really hard to put any weight into today's win, it had the feel of a preseason game. Alot of backups playing alot of snaps for both teams. I guess the most encouraging takeaway was Hicks' performance. I would hate to get rid of Barwin, vinny curry on the other hand can go. For all the talk of Roseman making great moves over last offseason, giving Curry a "please stay" contract appears to be a bad move. For all the talk of the 4-3 playing into his strengths, he played more snaps last year and had a better season statistically.

One of the more concerning aspects was Curry's play, and also one of the biggest reasons why our d line didnt dominate everything as expected. Cox and Graham had good years (though Cox had a big dry patch), but they cant fire every play. We need more depth there.

If my memory's correct Curry suffered a knee injury in the preseason. It's possible he carried that throughout the year and that hurt his explosiveness and push. I'm hoping thats the case. He'll be here next year, and it would go along way towards us making the playoffs if he could record a 10 sack season.

I'm a fan of this mock..

1. CB Teez Tabor- The Eagles badly need help at cornerback, and Tabor has the potential to be a shutdown corner. If we draft him, we will be able lock down the great wide receivers in our division such as Odell and Dez for years to come.

2. WR Dede Westbrook- Assuming Corey Davis does not fall to us in the second round, we should take Dede Westbrook. He is lighting quick and will be able to create plenty of separation, something that our wr group has not been able to do all year.

3. CB Gareon Conley or CB Cameron Sutton- I would take whichever one falls to us. They are both second round talents, but due to the crazy depth at CB this year, they may fall in the draft. I would prefer Gareon Conley as he is an absolute beast. Just watch the Clemson-Ohio state game, he has great awareness and instincts.

4. WR Chris Godwin- This guy has to be one of the most underrated prospects of the year. He has great hands and route running. Just watch the game today.....Against USC and Adoree Jackson, he went for 187 yards and 2 TDs

5. RB Joe Mixon- Plays with a lot of power and has very shifty moves. The thing that makes this guy so special is that he reads the defense right after the snap and finds the perfect hole. Very few players in the NFL do that as well as him.....Leveon Bell and Shady do that exceptionally well. Due to his recent incident, he may not enter the draft, but if he does, he may fall because of it, giving the eagles a perfect opportunity to snatch their franchise running back

6th and 7th round go BPA, maybe a player who falls because of injury or off the field issue.

If the eagles were to do this draft, the CB WR and RB positions will be set for years to come.

& this player movement...

First of all lets take a look at this 2016 season

We end up with a 7-9 record (2-4 in our division). Of course its no what we all hoped for after that crazy hot start but all in all is not that bad. We all knew this would be a rebuilding season and honestly after this season im really hopefull for the futur.

Good things first : our defense could become elite with a little bit of CB help, Wentz showed he is the real deal, our Oline did pretty well when you take into account all those injuries and supensions, our TE played well (i still believe in Ertz) our special team is elite and the play calling got better week by week.

Now the bad stuff and there one major thing we all agree on ... CATCH THAT FU**KING BALL !!!! Our WRs are so bad i want to ram my head into a brick wall just thinking about it. We need some help at CB's and we need to get a real run game in order to help Wentz

Cut:
- Ron Brooks (CB) anybody can replace him
- Leodis McKelvin (CB) always injured and pretty bad when he is not
- Bryce Treggs (WR) a deep threat thats nobody is threatened by
- Allen Barber (OG)
- Alex McAllister (DE)
- Kamu Gruiger-Hill (LB)

Don't re-sign:
- Stephen Tulloch (ILB) salary doesn't match the production
- Nolan Carroll (CB) good corner but no worth it
- Kenjon Barner (RB) Byron Marshall can do what he does and is cheaper
Restructure:
- Chase Daniel (QB) $ 4 m/yr instead of 7m/yr
- Jason Peters (OT) $ 5 m/yr seems willing to take a pay cut, move him to RT and let him retire in midnight green
- Conor Barwin (DE) $ 3 m/yr , he said he wants to take a paycut to retire as an Eagle
Trade:
- Mychal Kendricks (LB) + 2016 4th round pick to Denver Broncos for Bradley Roby (CB) he said he will leave Denver if he doesn't get a starting spot and Kendricks fits Denver's systeme
- Jason Kelce (C) he isn't that bad and we could get a 4th for him (from teams like the Browns or the Bucs)
- Ryan Mathews (RB) old and injury prone, but still worth a 6th round pick
Resign:
- Jaylen Watkins (DB) $1.2 m/y as showen some good things, could become a solid backup
- Trey Burton (TE) $1.4 m/yr really solid backup, could replace Celek when he retires
- Bennie Logan (DT) $ 7 m/yr total beast and perfect partner for Cox
- Donnie Jones (P) $1 m/yr solid punter
- Najee Goode (ILB) $1 m/yr underated backup
- Stephen Wisniewski (C/OG) 2 yr 1.2m/yr can play center or guard
So we end up around 40 M cap space

---////////---

My FA list

Throw in DJax on the cheep, offer a LOT to Matt Kahlil & kick Peters to LG, bring in Javaris Jones & some D/L insurance in Demontre Moore...

I think we have so many needs that there are almost no positions we could say we are really "set" at (except QB and maybe D line).

Much depends on the outcome of some of the free agency discussions, especially as we have so little cap space to spare. One site has us as currently being only $520,000 under the cap for next year, just with existing contracts!!

While it would be nice to think we could get a DJax or someone similar at WR in free agency, it will require fairly creative trading away of some of the big contracts, or a restructuring of some.

Connor Barwin and Ryan Matthews are two of the more obvious targets to be moved on to free up cap space - but whatever we get from them going probably won't be enough to keep Bennie Logan, let alone go after a star WR.

Much of the draft needs analysis will depend on how you think the free agency situation will play out. And I am stuffed if I can see us having the same success at moving contracts that we had last off season.
WR was easily our weakest position this season. Was infuriating watching us drop good passes, some of which probably cost us games. Getting D.Jackson will help but I think we need someone else via the draft. Any good WR coming through in the upcoming draft?

WR was easily our weakest position this season. Was infuriating watching us drop good passes, some of which probably cost us games. Getting D.Jackson will help but I think we need someone else via the draft. Any good WR coming through in the upcoming draft?

Beyond Williams (Clemson) and Ross (Washington), from what I've seen and read I don't think there's a massive amount of depth in this years WR class.

I'd be stoked to get either of those players, but the more I think about it, we have so many gaps I think it's almost going to be a "best player available" pick. Granted, we don't desperately need much on our defensive front 7 (assuming we can keep Logan), nor do we need a QB, and I don't think Roseman is going to see himself needing tackles - but in the secondary, wide receivers, inside O-line man and running back? We almost have to take the best rated player on our big board from those positions.

I believe they see us having our two tackles already. Lane to LT. Big V at RT.

Just about if they see Seumalo as C or LG for the future too. Brooks locked into RG.

Only chance I see Peters staying it a large contract restructure. Same with Barwin. Both of them combined cuts will save 16-17m

Peters is staying. It's a no-brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fan of this mock..

1. CB Teez Tabor- The Eagles badly need help at cornerback, and Tabor has the potential to be a shutdown corner. If we draft him, we will be able lock down the great wide receivers in our division such as Odell and Dez for years to come.

2. WR Dede Westbrook- Assuming Corey Davis does not fall to us in the second round, we should take Dede Westbrook. He is lighting quick and will be able to create plenty of separation, something that our wr group has not been able to do all year.

3. CB Gareon Conley or CB Cameron Sutton- I would take whichever one falls to us. They are both second round talents, but due to the crazy depth at CB this year, they may fall in the draft. I would prefer Gareon Conley as he is an absolute beast. Just watch the Clemson-Ohio state game, he has great awareness and instincts.

4. WR Chris Godwin- This guy has to be one of the most underrated prospects of the year. He has great hands and route running. Just watch the game today.....Against USC and Adoree Jackson, he went for 187 yards and 2 TDs

5. RB Joe Mixon- Plays with a lot of power and has very shifty moves. The thing that makes this guy so special is that he reads the defense right after the snap and finds the perfect hole. Very few players in the NFL do that as well as him.....Leveon Bell and Shady do that exceptionally well. Due to his recent incident, he may not enter the draft, but if he does, he may fall because of it, giving the eagles a perfect opportunity to snatch their franchise running back

6th and 7th round go BPA, maybe a player who falls because of injury or off the field issue.

If the eagles were to do this draft, the CB WR and RB positions will be set for years to come.

& this player movement...

First of all lets take a look at this 2016 season

We end up with a 7-9 record (2-4 in our division). Of course its no what we all hoped for after that crazy hot start but all in all is not that bad. We all knew this would be a rebuilding season and honestly after this season im really hopefull for the futur.

Good things first : our defense could become elite with a little bit of CB help, Wentz showed he is the real deal, our Oline did pretty well when you take into account all those injuries and supensions, our TE played well (i still believe in Ertz) our special team is elite and the play calling got better week by week.

Now the bad stuff and there one major thing we all agree on ... CATCH THAT FU**KING BALL !!!! Our WRs are so bad i want to ram my head into a brick wall just thinking about it. We need some help at CB's and we need to get a real run game in order to help Wentz

Cut:
- Ron Brooks (CB) anybody can replace him
- Leodis McKelvin (CB) always injured and pretty bad when he is not
- Bryce Treggs (WR) a deep threat thats nobody is threatened by
- Allen Barber (OG)
- Alex McAllister (DE)
- Kamu Gruiger-Hill (LB)

Don't re-sign:
- Stephen Tulloch (ILB) salary doesn't match the production
- Nolan Carroll (CB) good corner but no worth it
- Kenjon Barner (RB) Byron Marshall can do what he does and is cheaper
Restructure:
- Chase Daniel (QB) $ 4 m/yr instead of 7m/yr
- Jason Peters (OT) $ 5 m/yr seems willing to take a pay cut, move him to RT and let him retire in midnight green
- Conor Barwin (DE) $ 3 m/yr , he said he wants to take a paycut to retire as an Eagle
Trade:
- Mychal Kendricks (LB) + 2016 4th round pick to Denver Broncos for Bradley Roby (CB) he said he will leave Denver if he doesn't get a starting spot and Kendricks fits Denver's systeme
- Jason Kelce (C) he isn't that bad and we could get a 4th for him (from teams like the Browns or the Bucs)
- Ryan Mathews (RB) old and injury prone, but still worth a 6th round pick
Resign:
- Jaylen Watkins (DB) $1.2 m/y as showen some good things, could become a solid backup
- Trey Burton (TE) $1.4 m/yr really solid backup, could replace Celek when he retires
- Bennie Logan (DT) $ 7 m/yr total beast and perfect partner for Cox
- Donnie Jones (P) $1 m/yr solid punter
- Najee Goode (ILB) $1 m/yr underated backup
- Stephen Wisniewski (C/OG) 2 yr 1.2m/yr can play center or guard
So we end up around 40 M cap space

---////////---

My FA list

Throw in DJax on the cheep, offer a LOT to Matt Kahlil & kick Peters to LG, bring in Javaris Jones & some D/L insurance in Demontre Moore...

Barbre is super versatile and cheap, that doesn't make any sense. Khalil is absolute garbage as well, do not want him near the team. Do you mean Ryan Khalil?

Beyond Williams (Clemson) and Ross (Washington), from what I've seen and read I don't think there's a massive amount of depth in this years WR class.

I'd be stoked to get either of those players, but the more I think about it, we have so many gaps I think it's almost going to be a "best player available" pick. Granted, we don't desperately need much on our defensive front 7 (assuming we can keep Logan), nor do we need a QB, and I don't think Roseman is going to see himself needing tackles - but in the secondary, wide receivers, inside O-line man and running back? We almost have to take the best rated player on our big board from those positions.

For what it's worth Howie has said it's BPA. Drafting strictly on need has cost us in some recent drafts.

Barbre is super versatile and cheap, that doesn't make any sense. Khalil is absolute garbage as well, do not want him near the team. Do you mean Ryan Khalil?

Ryan Kalil re-signed with us this year, he must mean Matt.

He's a left tackle, he's always going to have a 'large' salary. They can't replicate his play cheaply, so they'll continue to pay and he'll continue to play.

I also don't think you're going into the season with Lane as your only established tackle given last year. You'll wait to see that he can stay out of trouble first.

Peters just came off a pro bowl season, his agent would bring this up as an indicator that he is still playing at a high level. He is probably looking to retire soon and probably does not want to move and uproot his family. The team will probably look to negotiate a small restructure, something that he would get if he hit the free agent market.

If you want to see who are likely cuts/contract renegotiations, check spotrac, when you see big discrepancies in their cap hit (cost of keeping) and their dead cap (cost of cutting). that is what makes for good candidates.

EG.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jason-peters-1179/
cap hit 9.7M minus dead cap 11.3M equals -1.6M. So cutting him actually costs money, not happening ever. Regardless of who the player is
cap hit 11.2M minus dead cap 2M equals 9.2M. Save $9.2M by cutting an Icon. Nobody wants this but the team would like to save some money, how about we find a middle ground.

Old but good content for better understanding of contract side of NFL:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/category/the-agents-journal/

No Matt.
I'll put his poor form down to coaching & he could be a little cheaper coming off injury.
Give Stoutland an off season with him & he would improve.

Barber... I'm not fussed either way.
I'd probably prefer to take a punt on a younger player with more upside if they are not a starter. Another Big V or Seumalo in the late rounds would be great!

Peters was underrated this year. His false starts were annoying but he routinely shut down the other team's best pass rusher. Vernon was invisible when we played the Giants two weeks ago. Graded out as our best offensive player period on PFF.

Peters is a gun & a future HOF.
I put his fauls starts to him knowing he is on the edge with his performance & needs every bit he can get.
He performed well but that leads me to think he still has value. Peters for another season or a guy you could have start for 5-6 years would be an easy choice for me.
Petets is 1 injury from retirement, has a big cap number & we won't be contenders next year, playoffs are a real chance.
The team needs to get younger now to support Johnson, Wentz, Ertz, Cox ect for the next 5 years.

Peters is a gun & a future HOF.
I put his fauls starts to him knowing he is on the edge with his performance & needs every bit he can get.
He performed well but that leads me to think he still has value. Peters for another season or a guy you could have start for 5-6 years would be an easy choice for me.
Petets is 1 injury from retirement, has a big cap number & we won't be contenders next year, playoffs are a real chance.
The team needs to get younger now to support Johnson, Wentz, Ertz, Cox ect for the next 5 years.

You don't mess around at the OT position. Wentz needs to be protected. Vaitai may be decent in the future, but he is a long, long way from being there right now. The last thing we need is Wentz getting killed. Keeping Peters for another year and having Lane stay at RT (and not get suspended) hopefully ensures that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back