Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

I been a fan since around 02 when we lost to the buccs who won the superbowl.
sorry nobby and "gus" but your cases for being tortured fans is super weak and this is coming from someone who has been a fan for about the same amount of time. I understand we have experienced some really painful losses (mine was 4th down drop from Kelvin curtis vs arizona in conf champ game 09). But there has also been a flock tonne of WINNING. Panthers fans have a stronger case for being tortured (kickoff that setup game winning drive in SB vs pats or losing to manning who could not throw further than 5 yards).
go have a look at this page and check out our record since 2000. If you want to know what a tortured fanbase looks like, go check out the skins record since 2000. We have 10 10+ win seasons in 17 seasons, been to 3 conference championship games. IMO we been spoilt

FYI I miss andy reid. Is he the best coach ever for developing quarterbacks?? Every QB he has coached has excelled under him, some being reclaimation projects (alex smith, michael vick, andy garcia), some flaming out after being traded (mcnabb, kolb)

Usually, if you're going to quote something there's a requirement that it's actually been said first. No one described us as tortured.

Having said that, considering our results without context is a poor idea. You could think better of some of the winning without superbowl success, if you didnt exist in a division like the NFC East with your rivals all being buried under Lombardis for example.

Usually, if you're going to quote something there's a requirement that it's actually been said first. No one described us as tortured.

Having said that, considering our results without context is a poor idea. You could think better of some of the winning without superbowl success, if you didnt exist in a division like the NFC East with your rivals all being buried under Lombardis for example.

This. All of this.

Yeah sorry for misquoting you. But when you say stuff like:
Not sure the precise time. I suspect I'm just short of Nobby's mark.

Anyway, long enough to have seen us lose multiple champs games, a superbowl, and a number of one and done playoff losses including that one to Tony Romo who never beat anyone in the playoffs.

It does something to your pysche after a while.

I fully expect to see the Eagles lose the superbowl to cap off my 12 months.

You are implying we have some sort of losing tradition just because we have not won the superbowl. Don't get me wrong, I hate the losses too (riley cooper across the middle). But I have been super happy as a fan just to be consistently be relevant at the end of the season and playoffs year in and year out. Its much better than being a Lions fan or a rams fan, where their seasons are finished by week 11.

I'm implying that we've had a series of disappointing playoff performances. That's not really debatable is it?
If you been a fan since 2000 then you would have witnessed a playoff record of 10-10, that is not disappointing. If you want to see disappointing go check out the dallas playoff record since 2000 its 2-6, washington is 1-4. I think your implication is absolutely absurd. But that probably is because believe the notion that if you don't win the championship, your season is a failure, is not a good attitude to have.

Why are you so insistent on ignoring any and all relevant context?

Losing a home championship game is infinitely more disappointing than losing away wild cards. Losing a superbowl more than either.

If you don't believe that the winning of championships is important, I'm not prepared to put any weight on your views on success or otherwise.

Why are you so insistent on ignoring any and all relevant context?

Losing a home championship game is infinitely more disappointing than losing away wild cards. Losing a superbowl more than either.

If you don't believe that the winning of championships is important, I'm not prepared to put any weight on your views on success or otherwise.
I agree that, in the moment of the loss, its more disappointing, given the stakes are so high. Maybe your expectations are higher than mine when it comes winning in the playoffs, hence why you are more disappointed than me.

Of course I believe that championships are important, but I don't subscribe to the notion that if you don't win trophy, your season is a failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all context really.

My expectations were high in the McNabb/Reid era- they were particularly high when Owens was on the same page. Not winning a championship in that era feels still like a lost opportunity (which is amplified by not having won a superbowl ever). The Arizona championship game feels like a massive missed opportunity, considering what we did to Pittsburgh earlier that year.

Not every loss stings the same, but they do compound to some degree.

I don't treat every year we don't win a superbowl the same. Last year for example was clearly a building year to develop Wentz- that encouraged some patience.

We've got a long term D-line pieces in Cox, Jernigan, Barnett...

This is going to be a tough defense to play against for some time now I reckon.

Throw in the Cb pieces of Darby & Jones, Hicks to return... looks pretty sweet.
I hope the D can really lock down for the rest of the season & consolidate on a great start.
It would be pretty cool to get a "legion of Boom" type tag as the season moves to a close

Darby confirmed he will play vs Dallas.

Great news.

Will mean we get PRob in the slot vs Beasley. Mills and Darby on the outside and Douglas in relief. Rotations will be much better, will allow the safeties to rotate properly without having to cover slot as much with Jenk/Graham

Ellerbe is official too. Cut McDougle.

Helps our short term LB depth. Will be in on 3 LB sets for run support, and then let Bradham and Kendricks play the Nickel/Dime packages. Give some relief for Walker

3 reasons why the Eagles have handled adversity better than the Cowboys

Excuses.

Those were all I saw after the Dallas Cowboys lost to the Atlanta Falcons last Sunday.

“The Cowboys didn’t have Tyron Smith! Sean Lee got hurt! Ezekiel Elliott wasn’t playing! Dan Bailey was out!”

Guess which other team has been playing without their left tackle (Jason Peters), middle linebacker (Jordan Hicks), running back (Darren Sproles), and kicker (Caleb Sturgis)?

Oh, that’s right, the team with the best record in the NFL at 8-1: the Philadelphia Eagles.

And when you look at it more closely, the Eagles’ injury adversity is much worse.

There are three big reasons why the Eagles have done a better job at responding to this adversity. These reasons bode well for Philadelphia’s chances of beating the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.

1 - The Quarterback
I’ve gotta admit, seeing all the “It doesn’t have to be one or the other, it’s OK to admit Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott are both good quarterbacks, ” was driving me crazy this week. I’m not trying to single anyone out here, by the way, I saw a lot of people saying this.

Look, if that’s how you feel, fine. Personally, I’m not as big on Dak as many seem to be. You can say I’m biased, and I probably am, but I’d like to think it’s more complex than that.

Dating back to last season, I’ve been arguing all along that Prescott has benefited greatly from his supporting cast. Ezekiel Elliott’s presence has been especially great for him. Zeke being such a talented running back has made life SO easy on Prescott. In 2016, Prescott attempted the third fewest passes of any quarterback in the league. Contrast that to Wentz, who attempted the second most passes of any rookie quarterback EVER.

It’s not just about the fewer attempts. It’s also about those attempts being assisted by effective play-action. And those attempts coming on 2nd-and-4 situations instead of 2nd-and-9. What I’m trying to say is that Elliott’s presence has a huge impact on Prescott. And that’s why it’s such a joke that Prescott won Rookie of the Year over Zeke.

So my whole thing is that I’ve really been wanting to see how Prescott operates without Elliott. And though it’s only been one game so far, and Tyron Smith wasn’t playing, the results don’t look so great. In the Cowboys’ loss to the Falcons, Prescott didn’t look very resilient. It was a tough situation, yes, but adversity isn’t an aberration in the NFL. A quarterback isn’t always going to have the perfect situation around him.

Part of the reason why franchise quarterbacks are at a premium is because elite ones can elevate the team around them. That’s exactly what Wentz HAS done this season. Wentz was getting hit a lot early in the Eagles-Panthers game. He didn’t fold. Instead, he continued to play at an MVP level like he has for most of the 2017 season.

So I don’t really wanna hear “they’re both good quarterbacks” because I do think that gives Dak more credit than he deserves while also taking away from Wentz. I think Dak is a fine game manager type who can have success when everything around him is going good. I think Wentz is a potentially elite quarterback who can elevate a team to greatness. At least, that’s what we’re seeing this season.

2 - The Head Coach
I still have no idea what Jason Garret even does.

He doesn’t call the plays. He doesn’t pick the players. Beside clap on the sidelines, what does he even do?

Does he formulate the game-plan? The one that called on Chaz Green not getting a lot of help and allowing five sacks against the Falcons?

Just as it is with Prescott winning Rookie of the Year last season, it’s a joke that Garrett won Coach of the Year in 2016.

The 2017 Coach of the Year, Doug Pederson, is much more inspiring than Garrett. I don’t know if I expected I’d ever be saying that about Pederson, but here we are.

Pederson’s just done a tremendous job this season. The play-calling has been creative. The team chemistry is great. There isn’t a lack of leadership or discipline. Can’t really say enough good things about the guy.

One of the most impressive parts about Pederson and his coaching staff is how they’ve operated around such key injuries. The players filling in for the injured guys haven’t look unprepared. The offense/defense hasn’t suddenly collapsed with the absence of one or two key players. The Eagles have been able to scheme around some of their injuries.

That’s all a testament to good coaching.

3 - The Front Office
The Cowboys’ front office has gotten a lot of praise in recent seasons. People look at Dak, Zeke, the offensive line and think: wow, this team is loaded!

Well, not exactly.

The Cowboys’ problem is that they’re obsessed with their logo. They’re all about star power. You need premier talent to win in the NFL, yes, but you also need depth. Dallas does not have depth.

Look no further than the Tyron Smith situation. He goes down and his backup, Chaz Green, surrenders five sacks. Now Green has been benched for a guy who has also really struggled: Byron Bell.

This isn’t the only position of concern for Dallas. The running backs behind Zeke aren’t scaring anyone. Sean Lee is hurt for the billionth time in his career and there’s no great option behind him despite the fact the Cowboys should know better by now.

I mean, the Cowboys do have Jerry Jones, former Executive of the Year, after all.

Contrast the Cowboys’ lack of depth to the job that Howie Roseman and Joe Douglas have done building up the Eagles’ roster. Philly invested in offensive line depth. Jason Peters goes down and Halapoulivaati Vaitai looks at least serviceable in his absence. Darren Sproles goes down but the running game doesn’t struggle since the blocking is still good. Defensively, the Eagles alleviated their secondary concerns by investing in a defensive line that now leads the league in generating pressure. Not to mention being historically great at stopping at the run.

Parting Thoughts
Earlier this week, our friend John Stolnis wrote a great piece about how you shouldn’t feel bad about other teams dealing with injuries. He’s right. The Eagles have had to deal with a lot of adversity.

But unlike others, they haven’t made excuses. They’ve been able to rise above it.

That shows the mark of a truly great team.

I enjoy the behind the scenes stuff, not so much the interviews but the raw emotion of a team pre and post game

Jalen Mills is a savage, didn't realise he was such a vocal player and leader

and

Brandon Graham @ 1:40 below :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Yeah Mills has that confidence and attitude good DBs have. One of our writers put it earlier in the year of Mills vs Rowe last year. Mills believes he can shut down any receiver in the league. While Rowe took home a preseason INT that didn't stand because he fell OOB.

That's the difference.

The guy is a second year 7th round corner. It's pretty incredible.

Well that was a fun watch. First half was very, very average. Kicked into gear in the 2nd though.

Crazy how easily we blew them away, considering how poorly we started.

Bears next week at home. Not the complete easy beats that some thought they were but we should account for them easily enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back