Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Carson who?

i was a foles fan in 2013.. way before i knew what a wentz was.

his 2013 and 2017 run is legendary.
Carson was still the main reason we had home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Nick was lights out in the last two games but I doubt we get the #1 seed if he played all season.

Congrats from the other Penn State team fan... who didn't need to trade up to draft Carson Wentz (pick SIX!! Can you believe it?).

Enjoy this..

If he isnt back until week 8 or 9 and Philly are 6-2 with Foles, can you really make the change? Next season might be a write off too.

See my quoted post.

Reckon we might Teddy him. Make sure he is back 100% health and confidence before throwing him back out.

Also how much does a brace limit mobility?

So this happened last night...

28168440_10215266376081561_4928537113108116152_n.jpg

9 players the Eagles can cut or trade to save salary cap space

With less than a month until 2018 NFL free agency officially begins on March 14, the Eagles currently rank dead last in salary cap space. Over The Cap has Philadelphia at negative $9,666,190, which means the Birds will need to make some moves just to get out of the hole.

In the Eagles’ case, not having a lot of cap space is the price to pay for fielding a Super Bowl winning quality roster. That’s a trade-off no one should complain about.

The good news for the Eagles, though, is that they can free up some money this offseason. And they’ll need to do that in order to try to re-sign an impending free agent like Nigel Bradham and/or hand out some other extensions.

Here’s a look at some potential moves that could be happening soon. Keep in mind the Eagles are free to cut any player at this point, but trades can’t be made until the new league year begins in March.

VIRTUALLY GONE
TORREY SMITH

Cut or traded: $5 million saved ($0 dead money)

Smith served his purpose as a deep threat role-player for the Eagles in 2017 but his time in Philadelphia is likely done. Given that there was no guaranteed money beyond the first year of his deal, the contract he signed last offseason was essentially a one-year deal. If Smith really wants to stay, maybe the Eagles would keep him if he takes a big pay cut. It would be shocking if he’s back at his current cap figure.

BRENT CELEK

Cut or traded or retired: $4 million saved ($1 million dead money)

It’s awesome that the Eagles were finally able to get a Super Bowl ring for the longest tenured player on their team. Celek busted his butt and gave this team all he had for 11 seasons. He always played through injury and only missed one game in his entire career. The feeling here is that Celek should go out on top. While there’s been no word on if he plans to retire, Celek turned 33 years old in January. Assuming he doesn’t want to stop playing, it’d be hard for the Eagles to justify keeping him around at his current figure. Celek has combined for 28 receptions and 291 yards over the past 35 Eagles games. For those wondering how Celek’s retirement would impact t the cap, it’s the same result as the Eagles cutting him.

DON’T RULE IT OUT
NICK FOLES

Cut: $2.2 million saved ($5.4 million dead money)
Trade: $5.2 million saved ($2.4 million dead money)

The Eagles obviously aren’t cutting their Super Bowl MVP. A trade is very much on the table, however.

It’s possible Foles is content with being a backup. If that’s the case, I’d argue that’s really not the message he’s conveyed during his post-Super Bowl media tour. He hasn’t been saying “Carson Wentz is the starter.” Instead, he said he’s going to let his agent take care of whatever happens moving forward. But maybe I’m reading into it too much.

In any case, it’s also possible Foles would like to have an opportunity to start somewhere. Getting traded to a new team would also likely come with a contract extension. If Mike Glennon can get paid just under $20 million last offseason, why can’t Foles make some good money?

The talk of turning down multiple first round picks for Foles is, quite frankly, insane. I get that having a good backup is important. Especially when Wentz’s Week 1 status is uncertain due to his ACL recovery. It’s at least possible Wentz WILL be ready, though, and doesn’t miss a game all season. He’s only missed three regular season starts in two years. If that’s the case, Foles would likely walk in free agency after 2018 and the Eagles would get nothing in return (or maybe a compensatory pick in 2020).

It’s not like the Eagles don’t have a backup quarterback if Foles isn’t retained. The team is high on Nate Sudfeld. It’s unclear if he’ll be as reliable as Foles, but I thought he showed a little bit of promise in Week 17. If the Eagles feel strongly about him, they might not think there’s a huge drop-off from Foles to Sudfeld. And if that’s the case, I think trading Foles makes a ton of sense. Save cap space and get a draft pick(s).

Some people have said “Is a draft pick going to win us a Super Bowl if Wentz goes down again?!” Well, I mean, a first-round pick (Brandon Graham) strip sacked Tom Brady to help the Eagles win the big game. And another first-round pick (Derek Barnett) recovered the ball. So ... yes.

Also: another thing to keep in mind here is that the Eagles will be tight on cap space in years to come, not just this offseason. With that in mind, draft picks are more valuable than ever to this team. They need to find cheap, young talent.

So yes, I would trade Foles for the right offer. Howie Roseman will, too, in my opinion. I think a second-round pick plus something else is the move that will materialize.

VINNY CURRY

Cut or traded: $5 million saved ($6 million dead money)

This is a tough spot for the Eagles. Curry had a good season in 2017. Not great, but good. He finished the year ranked 13th out of 39 4-3 defensive ends in pressure rate. His 17 quarterback hits ranked second in the NFL at his position. At the same time, Curry only played 56.1% of the team’s defensive snaps. And he has the fourth highest cap number on the team in 2018. So he’s being paid to be one of the team’s best players but he’s not at that elite level. I don’t think the Eagles will cut Curry, who turns 30 this summer, but I do think they’d love if some team made a trade offer for him. That would probably net a Day 3 pick, at best. The Eagles might try to see if they can restructure Curry or get him to take a pay cut.

MYCHAL KENDRICKS

Cut or traded: $4.4 million saved ($3.2 million dead money)

The Eagles have been trying to trade Kendricks forever now. He’s even requested to be out, too. Thankfully they didn’t move him prior to 2017. Kendricks was important to have around after Jordan Hicks went down. He might be important to hang on to moving forward, too, given the uncertainty of Nigel Bradham being a free agent and Hicks being injury prone. I don’t think the Eagles will cut Kendricks. Like Curry, though, I’m sure he’s available for a reasonable price. Kendricks was good in 2017 but he’s been up and done throughout his career. Plus the Eagles really only use two linebackers a bulk of the time. If Bradham and Hicks are starting, do the Eagles really want to be paying a lot of money to a third linebacker who might not get a lot of snaps?

CHANCE WARMACK

Cut: $1.15 million saved ($875,000 dead money)
Traded: $1.65 million saved ($375,000 dead money)

The Eagles probably won’t be cutting Warmack, especially with Jeff Stoutland around. I can’t imagine he’ll be a hot trade commodity, but the Eagles would save a little extra by dealing him. Maybe some team gets desperate for offensive line help after striking out in free agency or the 2018 NFL Draft. We saw Matt Tobin get traded last summer so hey, you never know.

DONNIE JONES

Cut or traded: $1.63 million saved ($250,000 dead money)

It’d break our hearts to see the Eagles cut Donnie Jones. If they really feel strongly about 2017 undrafted free agent Cameron Johnston, though, they might consider it. It’s also possible Jones, who turns 38 in July, decides to retire. In training camp last year, he said he plans to play until he’s 40, but maybe the Super Bowl win changes that.

PROBABLY WON’T HAPPEN
JASON PETERS

Cut or traded: $4.3 million saved ($6.3 million dead money)

Doug Pederson already committed to Peters as his left tackle in 2018, so I can’t imagine JP is going anywhere. Peters was playing at a very high level before suffering an ACL injury in 2017. The Eagles seem to have faith that the 36-year-old athletic freak can continue to defy Father Time.

If anything, the Eagles might try to restructure Peters or get him to take a pay cut. They tried that last offseason, but it didn’t work. He got an extension instead.

It’s not like the Eagles MUST do something with JP’s contract. He’s the 16th highest paid left tackle in terms of annual value. That’s certainly not unreasonable money for his contributions.

CHRIS MARAGOS

Cut or traded: $1.5 million saved ($250,000 dead money)

I can’t see the Eagles cutting their special teams captain. He’s an important part of Dave Fipp’s unit. Maragos is coming off a PCL injury and he turned 31 in January, so there are some concerns, but not enough to warrant his termination.

OTHER WAYS TO SAVE MONEY
As I’ve already mentioned a few times now, it’s possible the Eagles could ask some of these players to take a pay cut. That happened to Celek last offseason.

The Eagles could also try to free up some money by restructuring contracts. They did that with Rodney McLeod, for example, last year. The problem with that is it’s kicking the can down the road.

The Eagles can also lower a player’s cap hit in 2018 by giving them an extension. Brandon Graham is a prime candidate for that. Maybe the Eagles could drop his $8 million cap figure if the two sides can reach a new deal.

Jason Kelce’s contract situation is something to watch as well. He’s currently signed through 2020, but he has no guaranteed money in his deal beyond 2018. The Eagles could try to give him more guaranteed money while lowering his cap figure.

THE BOTTOM LINE
Howie Roseman and Eagles director of football administration Jake Rosenberg are usually pretty great when it comes to managing the cap. Based on their track record, Eagles fans should have confidence they’ll be able to figure it out.

The obvious moves with Smith and Celek will save them $9 million off the bat. Trading at least one of Curry or Kendricks would bring that up to around $14 million. That would give the Eagles a positive $5 million in cap room. Is that enough to help them re-sign Bradham and make other moves this offseason? Maybe not.

That’s why trading Foles could be key. That extra $5.2 million saved is a lot for this team. That would put the Eagles at over $10 million to work with, which seems more reasonable.

It’ll be an interesting offseason for the Eagles. It always is.

Thoughts on the Eagles' trade of WR Torrey Smith to the Panthers for CB Daryl Worley

USATSI_10296444.be1a47c1.fill-735x490.jpg
BOB DONNAN/USA TODAY SPORTS
New Eagles CB Daryl Worley.

Howie Roseman and the Philadelphia Eagles' front office were at it again on Friday, when they dealt wide receiver Torrey Smith to the Carolina Panthers for cornerback Daryl Worley. This trade can be looked at from a lot of different angles, and we'll attempt to cover them all here.

Why did the Eagles trade Smith?
The real question to ask here is, "How in the world did the Eagles trade Smith for anything?!?"

Smith is a good person and locker room presence, however, the Eagles made the extraordinarily easy decision to save $5 million by parting ways with him. In my view, Smith did not play well enough in 2017 to justify that price tag. He led the team in drops by a considerable margin, and often went long stretches without making plays in the offense. His release (or rather, the Eagles' decison not to pick up a team option on him) was inevitable. It's crazy that another team would give anything up for him, much less take him on at his current contract.

Why do the Eagles like Worley?
The Eagles had Worley in to visit the NovaCare Complex for one of their 30 pre-draft visits in 2016. He went to West Virginia, a school that produced CB Rasul Douglas, WR Shelton Gibson, and RB Wendell Smallwood, who were all selected by the Eagles in the last two drafts. The Eagles seem to have interest in WVU players, though their batting average with them hasn't been great so far.

Worley led the Mountaineers with six INTs in 2015, a season after picking off three passes in 2014. He has very good size at 6'1 to go along with 33.5" arms, and had good ball skills at WVU. However, he ran a terrible 4.64 40 at the NFL Combine.

He also has some character concerns, in that he missed a bowl game for academic reasons, and had an off-the-field incident in which he was accused of assaulting a female. The Eagles undoubtedly investigated what happened with those incidents prior to the 2016 draft. Worley ended up getting drafted by Carolina in the third round, two spots before the Eagles drafted Isaac Seumalo.

Worley's character concerns could explain his departure from Carolina, but that is purely conjecture on my part. The Eagles have more than shown a willingness to take chances on character concern players.

In his two years with the Panthers, Worley started 25 games, making 152 tackles and intercepting 3 passes.

So, what does this mean for the salary cap?
The Eagles are projected to be about $9 million over the salary cap when the new league year begins on March 14th. So this will put the Eagles at around $4 million over, right?

Nope.

As we explained a week ago, because trades don't officially occur until after the start of the new league year, the Eagles will have to get under the salary cap before 4:00 p.m. on March 14th without the benefit of trades. In other words, the Eagles will still have to shave about $9 million off their cap before the start of the new league year.

So wouldn't the Eagles have just been better off releasing Smith than trading him so that saved money could count toward their cap-shaving efforts prior to the new league year?

Nah, the Eagles just traded for Michael Bennett, as I'm sure you'll recall. He's going to cost about $5.65 million on the cap this season, so Smith's release will mostly offset the cap charge added by trading for Bennett. Understand? OK, good.

So who's the Eagles' starting wide receiver opposite Alshon Jeffery now?
Uh, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As PhillyVoice reported earlier this week, the Eagles hired Mack Hollins' old college coachat North Carolina, Gunter Brewer. That could certainly help his chances, though I don't think the Eagles would be wise to trust Hollins this soon as a starter, seeing as he's never had more than 35 receptions in a season, going back to his college days.

The Eagles could potentially view Nelson Agholor as a starting receiver after breaking out last year. Agholor's issues his first two seasons in the NFL, when most (self included) were calling him a bust, were mental. Now that he has some confidence, a move to the outside may not seem so daunting. Then again, Agholor was great in the slot last year, so why mess with a good thing?

The sense here is that the Eagles will try to add a wide receiver, whether that be in the draft or in free agency. We'll see.

Should we glean anything from the addition of a cornerback, as in, what does it mean for the corners on the roster?
That depends on what the Eagles actually think of Worley. He has started 25 games in his first two seasons, which is an uncommonly high number. Do the Eagles view him as a legitimate contributor on the defense? Or is he just an extra guy to bring to training camp, because the Eagles thinking was, "What the hell, we were getting rid of Torrey anyway?"

My guess is that they do indeed have interest in Worley. Had the Eagles declined to pick up Smith's $5 million contract in 2018, he would have counted toward the compensatory pick formula, meaning that the Eagles might have earned a comp pick had another team signed him. Certainly the Eagles considered this, and the thinking here is that Worley was more appealing than a potential comp pick... or the Eagles think they are already going to max out at four comp picks anyway, so losing Smith didn't matter... but now I'm rambling down the nerd hole here.

Anyway, if the Eagles do indeed have plans for Worley in their defense, it's worth remembering a rumor started by Chris Mortensen of ESPN earlier this week, who threw out the notion that the Eagles could be trading a cornerback for a third round pick. That scenario has a number of layers to it as well, so go read it if interested, but the Cliff's Notes version is that we landed on Ronald Darby as the most likely trade piece.

So it is a good trade for the Eagles?
That's a resounding yes. I mean, why not? They were going to cut Smith anyway, and instead they were able to trade him for a 23-year-old corner with 25 starts under his belt. Hell yes you make that deal.

Foles is unlikely to go anywhere until they know Wentz is on track.

Smith trade is great for salary cap.
He had a massive drop rate.
As others have said I think Celek is gone, along with Kendricks and Sproles and Curry and Robinson.
Peters, Cox and Kelce may all be asked to slightly restructure their 2018 salary to get cap space benefits - only need one to agree and we should be close to being under the cap.
I want them to keep Burton, but I think he is gone.

I have faith in Rosie to get us decent returns for most departures. Punter is my main concern at this point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beau Allen's goodbye message.

It’s crazy to think I got to Philadelphia 4 years ago. Thank you to the entire Eagles organization for giving me a shot. Thank you to the coaches and staff that have helped mold me into the player and person I am today. Huge shout out to the city and the fans! Thank you for embracing me and showing this dude from the Midwest what it means to be from Philly!

I put a lot of sweat and blood into the game of football during my time in Philadelphia and was rewarded with a Super Bowl Championship and memories that will last a lifetime. I can’t say enough about the teammates and brothers I’ve shared this experience with, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!

Philadelphia will always hold a special place in my heart and I will always share a special bond with my brothers that brought the Lombardi to Philly.

Excited to see what the future has for me!

Really wish we kept him. Played his ass off. 7th round pick to becoming a really good DT in this league.

We've also cut Celek. Hopefully he retires, would hate seeing him in another jersey, but he probably is still a backup TE in the league.

Burton also gone, so very interesting what we do at TE

DYL9_R9WAAA7nlB

In signing news.

- We are working to re-sign PRob. I like it. With his age, hopefully comes at a decent price and relatively short term (Easily cut before 3rd year type deal)

- We have agreed to sign Ngata (reportedly). Can see why Beau Allen was let go for sure.

- Restructed Lane's contract which frees up 7.5m this year. Really helpful money there.

- Rumours of Suh and Martellus Bennett (ugh please no) as well.

- Tavon Austin wants to play for us, but we haven't reached out to him. If it's cheap I wouldn't mind him. Explosive as hell.

I suspected Celek might be resigned after the salary cap was cleaned up but reading the Eagles press release, that looks unlikely, which is a pity imo as it wont hurt to have him around another season esp with Burton going.

Suh could be a handy pickup seeing as apparently he said last off-season he would play for the Eagles for free...

Suh, Cox, Michael Bennett, Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Chris Long, and Tim Jernigan
889.gif

Didnt resign Robinson, he got a nice deal with the Saints. TBH I'm not that disappointed. Whilst he played very well this year and was a great signing for us, I just didnt really want to lose one of our better long term prospects in Darby, Mills, Jones or Douglas to keep him.

We offered more overall money, but less guaranteed.

31yo I'm not too fussed.

Will always be remembered for the pick-6 in the NFCCG.

More cap space:

Eagles created $5.407M in cap space in 2018 by converting $7.21M of TE Zach Ertz's $8M base salary into a fully guaranteed roster bonus.

More cap space:

Eagles created $5.407M in cap space in 2018 by converting $7.21M of TE Zach Ertz's $8M base salary into a fully guaranteed roster bonus.

& decision on Curry expected shortly as he has money due.

I has a minor aneurysm trying to work out what cap room the Eagles now have so gave up but it must be somewhere around 10mil mark before a decision on Curry.

One issue I'm pondering, and it's a big one, is Jason Peters. What happens there I wonder given the significant number he will cost the team in 2018 & the big question of whether he ever returns to his former glory, which given the nature of the injury for a guy his size, has to be of concern. Don't want to see him disrespected by being dumped & the D did more than ok in his absence but what an addition if he comes back fit.

& decision on Curry expected shortly as he has money due.

I has a minor aneurysm trying to work out what cap room the Eagles now have so gave up but it must be somewhere around 10mil mark before a decision on Curry.

One issue I'm pondering, and it's a big one, is Jason Peters. What happens there I wonder given the significant number he will cost the team in 2018 & the big question of whether he ever returns to his former glory, which given the nature of the injury for a guy his size, has to be of concern. Don't want to see him disrespected by being dumped & the D did more than ok in his absence but what an addition if he comes back fit.
?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back