Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think it touched Hester's fingers, and if at all, so slightly that it didn't affect the spin of the ball.
Parkey's previous kick (that was iced) had the same trajectory/aim....aiming at the left post and let the slice bring it back center, especially as he was kicking from the right hash, he just aimed it a little too much left the second time and it didn't slice back but kept going.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I don't think it touched Hester's fingers, and if at all, so slightly that it didn't affect the spin of the ball.
Parkey's previous kick (that was iced) had the same trajectory/aim....aiming at the left post and let the slice bring it back center, especially as he was kicking from the right hash, he just aimed it a little too much left the second time and it didn't slice back but kept going.

I’ll defer to footy fans. But seemed to me like his hand flattened out, and his index and middle finger were pushed back.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
It looks to change trajectory to me, but in any event you'd have to be pretty out there to think you know better than the player who says he touched it.
Not to discredit our players but that’s not exactly saying something is it? I mean Steve Silvagni still swears he touched Michael Long’s goal on the line...

Either way, it never went in and that’s all that matters!

Not to discredit our players but that’s not exactly saying something is it? I mean Steve Silvagni still swears he touched Michael Long’s goal on the line...

Either way, it never went in and that’s all that matters!

Motivations differ.

It's a very different thing to unnecessarily concoct something in the event of a favourable event than it is to maintain something after an unfavourable one.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Cos he feels bad for him, no one likes seeing someone getting trashed in social media etc.
Like i said before tho, Hester probably got a slight finger to it, but it certainly didn't alter the spin or flight of the ball imo. The ball was aimed left (like the previous kick) but it didn't draw back in like the previous one.

As a golfer, sorry but I must, as a right hander/footer, left to right is fade, not a draw. :rolleyes:

Cos he feels bad for him, no one likes seeing someone getting trashed in social media etc.
Like i said before tho, Hester probably got a slight finger to it, but it certainly didn't alter the spin or flight of the ball imo. The ball was aimed left (like the previous kick) but it didn't draw back in like the previous one.

Honestly, I have no idea how you can make those two statements back to back.

It's entirely plausible that if the trajectory of the kick was similar to the good kick, and it didnt come back as the good kick did, that an intervening event was responsible.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, I have no idea how you can make those two statements back to back.

It's entirely plausible that if the trajectory of the kick was similar to the good kick, and it didnt come back as the good kick did, that an intervening event was responsible.
He pushed it a little wider the second time tho. You can see the trajectory from both kicks yourself if you pause the videos.
Like, what's the big debate? The kick got the slightest touch, but certainly not enough to even change the spin of the ball whatsoever, so the kick was always going to miss anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Aussies are far better equipped to discuss this than yanks. 99% of us have never kicked/punted a ball and have no idea about the intricacies involved with putting fade or draw on anything other than a golf ball.

Add in the impact a slight touch may have on a kick and o_O.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
this video, there's a close up shot showing Hesters fingers get pushed back as the ball passes.

never said there wasn't a touch, but it's so slight the spin of the ball doesn't even change, so it was minimal, as obviously the ball still had the same spin, the same power behind it, that it went all the way to post....and, at the same height and speed as the previous kick did.

if you watch the first view of it, from behind the kicker, the ball really does follow the same trajectory it had before it reached Hester, it was pushed a little too far left from the outset.

anyway, i can stand down on the insistence the touch did NOT have an impact on the flight of the ball, but i just don't see it. Still think it would've missed if Hester didn't touch it (which i cannot prove) given the same power, speed, height was evident in both kicks.

so if the ball went in even after it got slightly touched the NFL would also change the scored FG to a "blocked kick"? sure

'If a receiver catches it after a defender bats it in the air do they count it as a pass defended?'- no one with sense.

Stop being asinine. You were wrong, have some grace about it.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
'If a receiver catches it after a defender bats it in the air do they count it as a pass defended?'- no one with sense.

Stop being asinine. You were wrong, have some grace about it.
I was never wrong. Said the ball got slightly touched from the outset, just dont believe it had a significant affect on the ball.
That's not something you can prove either....that it would've gone in without his touch.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
this video, there's a close up shot showing Hesters fingers get pushed back as the ball passes.

never said there wasn't a touch, but it's so slight the spin of the ball doesn't even change, so it was minimal, as obviously the ball still had the same spin, the same power behind it, that it went all the way to post....and, at the same height and speed as the previous kick did.

if you watch the first view of it, from behind the kicker, the ball really does follow the same trajectory it had before it reached Hester, it was pushed a little too far left from the outset.

anyway, i can stand down on the insistence the touch did NOT have an impact on the flight of the ball, but i just don't see it. Still think it would've missed if Hester didn't touch it (which i cannot prove) given the same power, speed, height was evident in both kicks.

But GG, we see kicks all the time where the ball has a weird trajectory off the boot then straightens into its natural spin/arc. There's no telling what effect a slight touch early in flight would have later on. But I'm betting it could be enough to change direction a centimetre or two, which is all we're talking about here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back