Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally I would love something like this but he'd just be under the thumb like Doug was, they have to go outside for someone who will tell them what's what & not be dictated to.
Being reported the HC search will be extensive, no quick decisions. As I said in the Texans thread, the league is pushing all clubs to not skimp on the Rooney Rule this year. Protracted coaching searches all around and will last post-SB. Under pressure to ensure legitimacy.

Like are the issues scheme or personnel? Are they a few tweaks away from getting back into playoff contention or do they need a rebuild? Getting rid of Doug over Howie would make it seem like it's the former (or at least Lurie thinks it is). Dunno what the problem is (kinda seems like everyting?), but know that Howie having this much influence is not a particularly great thing.

Either way, the Linc's gonna burn if they don't end up with Smith or Chase at 6.

So what happens to Hurts??? Does he get traded now??

No way we'd let him out- he's at worst a fill in capable back up (and that's significant given Wentz's injury history), and on his rookie contract. Would take significant trade compensation, that I doubt is forthcoming.

Probably just starts again when Wentz is benched next year.

Like are the issues scheme or personnel? Are they a few tweaks away from getting back into playoff contention or do they need a rebuild? Getting rid of Doug over Howie would make it seem like it's the former (or at least Lurie thinks it is). Dunno what the problem is (kinda seems like everyting?), but know that Howie having this much influence is not a particularly great thing.

Either way, the Linc's gonna burn if they don't end up with Smith or Chase at 6.

We can't really rule either out.

It's possible that JJAW and Reagor are just simply duds. But are they as bad as they've looked? It is telling perhaps that we've had no receivers come on at all during Doug's time- the best that we had was Jeffrey, and the further he was with us the worse he became. Other guys came in, looked promising then simply disappeared. Look at how Agholor looked at Oakland. Suddenly he's clutch big play guy?

Almost 12 hours since hearing about this and I'm still stunned.

If you believe the news this year:
- Pedersen was told to bench Wentz when he did
- Pedersen wasn't even picking the gamedy 45
- the last game debacle was probably the result of a lack of communication and a belief from Pedersen (if not an outright order) that they were better off tanking.

And having done all that... we make him the scapegoat? Lurie and Roseman need to look a little closer to home.

This is, I suspect, why we as a franchise are traditionally closer to a Jets/Browns, as opposed to a Patriots/Packers - good teams find their staff and power them up. Doug won the Super Bowl and immediately started conceding power.

Nothing about this situation makes sense to me, and given the ownership, Roseman's presence, the QB situation and the salary cap hell, it's the worst vacancy in the NFL.

Personally I still trade Wentz & go all in on Hurts if they can find the right coach but that doesn't appear likely.

Serious question - because I’m not across how the salary cap works in the NFL and getting out of contracts early- but is it even possible to trade him given the contract? Would the eagles need to give away serious draft capital to sweeten the deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question - because I’m not across how the salary cap works in the NFL and getting out of contracts early- but is it even possible to trade him given the contract? Would the eagles need to give away serious draft capital to sweeten the deal?

There was a tweet posted a couple of weeks back suggesting that if we wanted him gone bad enough, and if someone wants him enough, Wentz could write us a cheque to buy his way out of his contract ($20m) with the promise of a $20m signing bonus from say, the Colts.

Given the contract though, I don't think we'd get much more than a 3rd or 4th rounder, whereas the tweet suggested we could still get something much earlier in that situation.

I'd almost be tempted to try this if it were at all feasible (I'm just not sure it is). I don't think Wentz is beyond repair at all. I think he's still likely to be a better QB than Hurts. But given our salary cap hell, and given the possibility of the cap coming down due to 'rona, we can't win when next season cos we have a hundred gaps and can't afford to fill any of them. So get the salary cap problem out and go with the rookie contract if we can get away with it.

Only works if a deal gets done before Wentz's next seasons guaranteed money locks in, so it's unlikely but do able with the right partner. They're would be something coming back the other way, speculation was a second, take it & run if so.

I do believe Kellen Moore will become a head coach, and I do believe his offences will be some of, if not the best in the league.
Thing is, I believe now is too early at the NFL level.

If I felt he was ready Id become religious and be praying he becomes the Falcons HC.

If you got him, I believe you need to bring in Matt Patricia as DC. Or is there another potential DC with more experience than him? If Kellen Moore became HC this year anywhere, you'd need a DC who can just deal with the defence solely as Kellen grows into the role.

If the defence is trash, sure, it'll be fun watching the games (40+ shootouts) but it'll set Kellen up to fail (which might be good for me, because by the time he flames out, Andy Avalos might be looking to coach a bigger school in college

By the bye week, Wentz had been sacked an NFL-high of 32 times. A coaching analysis deemed the quarterback responsible for almost two-thirds. Around the break, one offensive lineman had gone to management and requested a switch to Hurts.

“Everyone believed Carson had no clue about when to get the ball out on time,” a source said, “and as a result made his [O-line] look terrible in times they were playing fine.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back