Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

I’m so torn on this. I loved Wentz before this season. But there was so many fundamental flaws in his game that were deplorable this season that I truly wonder whether he could reach the same heights.

Regardless of how he played, this is such a ridiculous failure by our organisation. How Howie still has a job is beyond me.

As an FYI, that’s probably the last time I buy a jersey with a players name on it.

I was his biggest defender, but his play and his refusal to improve it made me unable to defend him.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pathetic coach. How did he win a SB? Was he trying to get sacked?
A lot of people credit Frank Reich for the offenses success. I guess that bears witness that Pedersons performance deteriorated after Reich left. And Pederson obviously not a good people person, manager, as can be seen with the feud with Howie, Wentz, and then the debacle week 17

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
A lot of people credit Frank Reich for the offenses success. I guess that bears witness that Pedersons performance deteriorated after Reich left. And Pederson obviously not a good people person, manager, as can be seen with the feud with Howie, Wentz, and then the debacle week 17

Dougy was never given free reign to run the team as he saw fit because, one has to assume, he wasn't trusted by the FO to be able to do a competent job. What other reason could there have been, except for maybe a power hungry GM refusing to relinquish an ounce of power? Nah, too far fetched... So now imagine you are working in that environment - you've been appointed HC & a couple years later delivered a SB to a starved franchise. Yet nothing changes.

I'm surprised he didn't tell everyone to go * themselves much sooner.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dougy was never given free reign to run the team as he saw fit because, one has to assume, he wasn't trusted by the FO to be able to do a competent job. What other reason could there have been, except for maybe a power hungry GM refusing to relinquish an ounce of power? Nah, too far fetched... So now imagine you are working in that environment - you've been appointed HC & a couple years later delivered a SB to a starved franchise. Yet nothing changes.

I'm surprised he didn't tell everyone to go fu** themselves much sooner.
Probably didnt deserve to have free reign. Look at the cluster* that was Pederson in the last couple years. Who is he that he demands free reign. Very few HCs have that

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Probably didnt deserve to have free reign. Look at the clusterfu** that was Pederson in the last couple years. Who is he that he demands free reign. Very few HCs have that

By free reign I am referring to week to week running of the team. You think GM's should be deciding who does & doesnt play on Sunday? Conveying that to the HC on the ******* Thursday?? Ridiculous stuff.

& then there's the drafting. Hurts might turn into the second coming, unlikely but not impossible, but drafting him was plain stupid given the holes elsewhere. You reckon Doug had any input into that decision, what was best for the team at pick 2?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
By free reign I am referring to week to week running of the team. You think GM's should be deciding who does & doesnt play on Sunday? Conveying that to the HC on the ******* Thursday?? Ridiculous stuff.

& then there's the drafting. Hurts might turn into the second coming, unlikely but not impossible, but drafting him was plain stupid given the holes elsewhere. You reckon Doug had any input into that decision, what was best for the team at pick 2?

I wanted to cry watching Winfield this season.
Again not all HCs have that. Many do, many dont. Coaches with a long history in the league or experience, do. They command control when interviewed for a job. Young bucks like Pederson, first gig, dont

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Again not all HCs have that. Many do, many dont. Coaches with a long history in the league or experience, do. They command control when interviewed for a job. Young bucks like Pederson, first gig, dont

Sure but success has to buy you wiggle room & all the evidence points to Pederson never receiving any.

Dunno why I am defending the guy, didn't like the hire, hated his first season, looked at my old posts a while ago & I ripped into him more than once. But he delivered the Holy Grail so there's that. & his hair, never like the hair;)

Probably didnt deserve to have free reign. Look at the clusterfu** that was Pederson in the last couple years. Who is he that he demands free reign. Very few HCs have that

Rubbish.

After his first season he took injury decimated teams to the playoffs in every year but one, and in that one we were in the mix until the second to last week. He was continuously able to rally teams that should have fallen apart.

He wasnt able to overcome a quarterback that would refuse to throw the ball at times, but he is imo a good coach.

Where he had problems was in his trust of assistant staffs that were not up to it.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Rubbish.

After his first season he took injury decimated teams to the playoffs in every year but one, and in that one we were in the mix until the second to last week. He was continuously able to rally teams that should have fallen apart.

He wasnt able to overcome a quarterback that would refuse to throw the ball at times, but he is imo a good coach.

Where he had problems was in his trust of assistant staffs that were not up to it.
His playcalling was beyond poor ever since he took over the offensive calls

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NBC Sports' Peter King reports many in the Eagles organization believed Carson Wentz "couldn't handle hard coaching" and was coddled in his final years in Philadelphia.
King said Wentz's persistent clashing with former offensive coordinator Mike Groh, followed by the team firing Groh, created widespread perception that the quarterback was unable to take constructive criticism. Wentz's relationship with Philadelphia coaches -- including former head coach Doug Pederson -- steadily eroded after Frank Reich left for Indianapolis and ex-QBs coach John DeFilippo parted ways with the Eagles, according to King. Wentz reportedly didn't connect with many teammates in Philadelphia and could be "stubborn" with offensive coaches devising game plans. The team drafting Jalen Hurts in the 2020 NFL Draft "completely blindsided" Wentz, per King, further damaging his relationship with coaches team officials. It would seem Reich, Wentz's new head coach in Indianapolis, has more to handle than just improving Wentz's mechanics and decision making.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com
Feb 22, 2021, 9:22 AM ET

Back