Philippines new President - Rodrigo "The Punisher" Duterte

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not one yet, he just seems like he has the makings of one. We'll see what happens in 6 years, I guess (if he lives that long).

Ok good enough.

I completely disagree considering his form in Davao, and he simply doesn't have the power base to become a dictator.

Philippines has been run by a group of families that collectively behave as dictators though - controlling the military, judiciary, police and government. Duterte is just not one of them. Like you said, he's far more likely to get assassinated by his political rivals than he is to assassinate his political rivals.

Last edited:
“If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.”

“More people will be killed, plenty will be killed until the last pusher is out of the streets. Until the (last) drug manufacturer is killed, we will continue and I will continue.”

“They’re all enjoying your money, money that destroyed your brain. You know who the drug lords are. Would you like to kill them? Go ahead. Killing them is allowed because you are the victim.”

Those are comments are typical of his off the cuff bluster, and if taken literally (though translating often loses some of the meaning) and seriously it would be alarming. Have a look at the video I posted earlier in the thread if you want to see what he actually said to the police regarding the rule of law and the use of force.

There's a narrative in the west that somehow since he's come to power the country has degenerated into anarchy, when the opposite is true.

I checked the video and it's the typical pro-Duterte propaganda. They didn't cover the quotes I gave above, it just gives some other quotes and pretends that is all he has said. I had a quick look for video of some of the other quotes, but there wasn't much on the first page of results other than this:

About 15 seconds in he says to call the police, or "feel free to kill them yourself if you have a gun. You have my support." He's said stuff like that multiple times and is cool with suspected addicts being murdered as well as suspected dealers.

He may not be part of the old ruling elite, but he's still wealthy, corrupt and has little respect for human rights. The Trump comparisons are pretty close to the mark IMO, but without the comedy value.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/141215-oman-manaois-dagupan-drugs-war-killed

Oman, as fondly called by family and friends, was picked up at 9 pm from his house by a tricycle driven by his friend, Julio*. On the way to Galvan Market, a neighbor named Zaldy Abalos hailed the vehicle and requested to be dropped off at Lucao district.

While paying his fare at his destination, Zaldy was gunned down at close range by men wearing bonnets.

According to Oman’s relative, Melandrew Velasco, Julio, who was able to flee, recalled that Oman held up his hands, seemingly asking for mercy, when the gunmen turned to him.

The merciless suspects, however, proceeded to kill the 20-year-old Oman.

Zaldy Abalos was a drug dealer and was executed without trial by vigilantes acting on the words of the president. Oman Manaois was guilty of being a passenger in the same tricycle. One of my friends there is a tricycle driver. Maybe he should start asking for police checks on his customers, just to be sure he doesn't end up in the firing line like this kid.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/141215-oman-manaois-dagupan-drugs-war-killed

Zaldy Abalos was a drug dealer and was executed without trial by vigilantes acting on the words of the president. Oman Manaois was guilty of being a passenger in the same tricycle. One of my friends there is a tricycle driver. Maybe he should start asking for police checks on his customers, just to be sure he doesn't end up in the firing line like this kid.

Are you saying the president ordered the death of these men? I find that highly unlikely. Make no mistake, the ousted power families are also involved these killings. As are the cartels directly. As are the NPA. As are Catholic militants.

In any case, interesting developments and of far more relevance today:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-04/duterte's-shift-on-china-could-have-us-sweating/7899034

Basically telling the US flat out that Philippines interest int he spratlys will not be used a precursor to war with China.

Power Raid called this on page 1 one of the thread btw.

Are you saying the president ordered the death of these men?

I'm saying the president gave the green light for both police and civilians to execute people without trial and therefore is responsible for every EJK, whether the victim was an actual dealer shot by police, a 4 year old girl hit by a stray bullet or an innocent man sharing a tricycle with the wrong person.

I find that highly unlikely. Make no mistake, the ousted power families are also involved these killings. As are the cartels directly. As are the NPA. As are Catholic militants.

In any case, interesting developments and of far more relevance today:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-04/duterte's-shift-on-china-could-have-us-sweating/7899034

Basically telling the US flat out that Philippines interest int he spratlys will not be used a precursor to war with China.

Power Raid called this on page 1 one of the thread btw.

I don't understand how you can read that and still think this idiot is the right man for the Philippines. He is all over the place. He's at Trump levels of unsuitability for the office.

"Hey China, get out of the Spratly Islands. We're willing to fight you over this if we have to and the US has our back, right US? [US clears throat..."Er, if you are attacked, sure, but not if you attack first"]. Okay, China. Actually, I didn't mean that we would fight, just that we would never give up our rightful territory. Actually, now that the UN has decided in our favour, we'd like to work something out with you. You can have the islands but you have to build some railroads and stuff for us. Don't worry, it'll cost you far less than the islands are worth, plus you get to dominate the whole South China Sea, not just us!"

"Hey America, leave Mindanao, we don't need your help there and we don't trust you. Actually, my general just informed me that we do need you there and you've been cool, so please stay. We can still be military allies, but from now on we're trade partners with China. And no more war games because China doesn't like it."

I'm saying the president gave the green light for both police and civilians to execute people without trial and therefore is responsible for every EJK, whether the victim was an actual dealer shot by police, a 4 year old girl hit by a stray bullet or an innocent man sharing a tricycle with the wrong person.

Ok so its an emotive response not actually based in fact. Thanks for clarifying. This issue is far more nuanced than you give it credit for.

I don't understand how you can read that and still think this idiot is the right man for the Philippines. He is all over the place. He's at Trump levels of unsuitability for the office.

"Hey China, get out of the Spratly Islands. We're willing to fight you over this if we have to and the US has our back, right US? [US clears throat..."Er, if you are attacked, sure, but not if you attack first"]. Okay, China. Actually, I didn't mean that we would fight, just that we would never give up our rightful territory. Actually, now that the UN has decided in our favour, we'd like to work something out with you. You can have the islands but you have to build some railroads and stuff for us. Don't worry, it'll cost you far less than the islands are worth, plus you get to dominate the whole South China Sea, not just us!"

"Hey America, leave Mindanao, we don't need your help there and we don't trust you. Actually, my general just informed me that we do need you there and you've been cool, so please stay. We can still be military allies, but from now on we're trade partners with China. And no more war games because China doesn't like it."

How is he all over the place? He's been very consistent, and is far more successful as a politician and administrator than Trump. Also far more popular.

He had/has a clear plan to pivot towards China and potentially play the US for more money over it. He does not want to fight China. Power Raid predicted as much back when this thread started.

Its an interesting presidency because of the potential it has to make so many lives better in a country that has exploited the poor for hundreds of years, as well as the potentially massive impact on the region with a more assertive China and their face off with the US.

Ok so its an emotive response not actually based in fact. Thanks for clarifying. This issue is far more nuanced than you give it credit for.

Huh? Are you still refusing to believe that he did actually make the quotes that have been attributed to him? Or you just think there's nothing wrong with a president instructing citizens to kill each other?

How is he all over the place? He's been very consistent, and is far more successful as a politician and administrator than Trump. Also far more popular.

He's all over the place because he usually just blurts out the first thing that he thinks of and it's often either wrong, stupid or offensive. In one mouthful he says he supports the LGBT community and in the next he is accusing people of being homosexual in a derogatory fashion. He tells China that he will ride a jet ski to the Spratly Islands, plant the flag and dare them to kill him. Then he's talking about trading the islands for some train tracks. He tells the US that they need to get out of Mindanao and then says they can stay. He tells people that he believes in the rule of law and then tells people to take it into their own hands.

He had/has a clear plan to pivot towards China and potentially play the US for more money over it. He does not want to fight China. Power Raid predicted as much back when this thread started.

Its an interesting presidency because of the potential it has to make so many lives better in a country that has exploited the poor for hundreds of years, as well as the potentially massive impact on the region with a more assertive China and their face off with the US.

Well, we agree that it's interesting and could have a massive impact on the region. I'm just not so optimistic about that impact being a net positive.

Huh? Are you still refusing to believe that he did actually make the quotes that have been attributed to him? Or you just think there's nothing wrong with a president instructing citizens to kill each other?

No I think its a very long bow to draw to say vigilantes killed this man on the orders of Duterte. There's a lot of murderers in Philippines, and there is no way to tell if this was someone Duterte inspired or not. Blaming every one of those killings on Duterte shows a distinct lack of understanding of what is actually going on.

He's all over the place because he usually just blurts out the first thing that he thinks of and it's often either wrong, stupid or offensive. In one mouthful he says he supports the LGBT community and in the next he is accusing people of being homosexual in a derogatory fashion. He tells China that he will ride a jet ski to the Spratly Islands, plant the flag and dare them to kill him. Then he's talking about trading the islands for some train tracks. He tells the US that they need to get out of Mindanao and then says they can stay. He tells people that he believes in the rule of law and then tells people to take it into their own hands.

How long have you been actually following Duterte and taking an interest in what he says. And what is your exposure to him, on the whole?

You come across as someone who has only paid attention to him since he became president.

He has done more for LGBT rights in Philippines than literally anyone who has come before him, for the record. Likewise prostitutes.

You really need to either get your head around when he is joking, and when he's being serious. It's like watching two different men. Likewise, translation can often lose a lot of local humour.

Well, we agree that it's interesting and could have a massive impact on the region. I'm just not so optimistic about that impact being a net positive.

It probably won't be positive for Americans, drug cartels or the Filipino "royal" families.

It is already very positive for the average Filipino, who provide him a huge level of public support. The only thing that is keeping him alive at this point.

No I think its a very long bow to draw to say vigilantes killed this man on the orders of Duterte. There's a lot of murderers in Philippines, and there is no way to tell if this was someone Duterte inspired or not. Blaming every one of those killings on Duterte shows a distinct lack of understanding of what is actually going on.

I'm not saying he ordered that specific act. He just told people it was okay to murder drug dealers and drug addicts. Now people are being murdered (including innocent bystanders and cases of mistaken identity), so I think it's reasonable to lay blame on him for that. Same as I would lay blame on our PM if he said something similar and thousands started showing up dead.

How long have you been actually following Duterte and taking an interest in what he says. And what is your exposure to him, on the whole?

You come across as someone who has only paid attention to him since he became president.

Since early in the election campaign. I haven't been to Davao and don't even follow local Australian politics, let alone provincial governments overseas. I followed the election campaign and took an early dislike to him. He's said and done things that I liked, but then he always follows that up with something ****ed.

He has done more for LGBT rights in Philippines than literally anyone who has come before him, for the record. Likewise prostitutes.

It's always seemed pretty LGBT friendly there. There's a LGBT political party, they can serve in the military, etc. What has he done that makes him literally the greatest advocate for LGBT people in the country's history? As far as I know, he's said some supportive things and also said some derogatory things but so far hasn't actually done anything. Interested to know more if he actually implemented stuff as governor.

You really need to either get your head around when he is joking, and when he's being serious. It's like watching two different men. Likewise, translation can often lose a lot of local humour.

My Tagalog isn't very good, but my anti-Duterte friends are native speakers and they don't find his rape jokes funny either. And it shouldn't be up to the rest of the world to figure out when he is joking and when he is serious.

It probably won't be positive for Americans, drug cartels or the Filipino "royal" families.

It is already very positive for the average Filipino, who provide him a huge level of public support. The only thing that is keeping him alive at this point.

He has the support, sure. Can you be more specific about how it is already very positive for the average Filipino? The Peso is weaker than it's been in years, so I guess OFWs are sending more money home. What else?

I'm not saying he ordered that specific act. He just told people it was okay to murder drug dealers and drug addicts. Now people are being murdered (including innocent bystanders and cases of mistaken identity), so I think it's reasonable to lay blame on him for that. Same as I would lay blame on our PM if he said something similar and thousands started showing up dead.

Things aren't that black and white. Not everyone being killed is being killed because of the war on drugs. Some people are being killed so that blame can be laid at Duterte's feet. Some people are being killed by cartels using the crackdown as an excuse to knock off rivals. Some people are being killed because they are turning themselves in. And yes, some are likely being killed by locals who think they're doing the right thing.

I think we both agree extra judicial killings are wrong, I'm just saying you can't blame every murder on Duterte, it isn't cut and dry. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, he had two senators threaten coups against him for example. And not empty threats either, both of those senators led failed coups in the past.

Since early in the election campaign. I haven't been to Davao and don't even follow local Australian politics, let alone provincial governments overseas. I followed the election campaign and took an early dislike to him. He's said and done things that I liked, but then he always follows that up with something stuffed.

Well I have been to Davao and have been following him closely since about 2008. There's a lot of very relevant information if you look at how he governed Davao, and why he was so (and still is so) incredibly popular down there.

It's always seemed pretty LGBT friendly there. There's a LGBT political party, they can serve in the military, etc. What has he done that makes him literally the greatest advocate for LGBT people in the country's history? As far as I know, he's said some supportive things and also said some derogatory things but so far hasn't actually done anything. Interested to know more if he actually implemented stuff as governor.

In Davao he established things like a pride march for LGBT people. He's openly come out in support of gay marriage as well. He was actually the first politician in the country to support that LGBT party when they tried to register. He also introduced anti-vilification legislation (which was passed) in relation to gay rights.

This in one of the most hardline christian countries on earth. Relevant article from when he was mayor:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...rte-declares-support-gay-marriage-lgbt-rights

I detest homophobic slurs, but the man is 74 years old from a very heavily American-influenced country, and a very socially conservative one at that. I'd rather give weight to his many positive actions than the fact he used some bad words.

He has the support, sure. Can you be more specific about how it is already very positive for the average Filipino? The Peso is weaker than it's been in years, so I guess OFWs are sending more money home. What else?

Well people can go out at night without having to worry about petty crime. The drugs war is widely publicised, but its much farther reaching than that. Bagsnatching, assaults, rapes etc are way down. Likewise, people are very optimistic that he will implement the same social reforms that he did in Davao (so things like protecting prostitutes and removing pimps, better funding for roads, schools, hospitals and most of all safety).

Davao was literally the most dangerous city in all of Asia for a very long time. Then Duterte was elected and its now the safest in Philippines and one of the safest anywhere in Asia.

Last edited:
Things aren't that black and white. Not everyone being killed is being killed because of the war on drugs. Some people are being killed so that blame can be laid at Duterte's feet. Some people are being killed by cartels using the crackdown as an excuse to knock off rivals. Some people are being killed because they are turning themselves in. And yes, some are likely being killed by locals who think they're doing the right thing.

I think we both agree extra judicial killings are wrong, I'm just saying you can't blame every murder on Duterte, it isn't cut and dry. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, he had two senators threaten coups against him for example. And not empty threats either, both of those senators led failed coups in the past.

I'm saying you can, at least partially. He gave the green light for people to take the law into their own hands and carry out executions without trial. Even if many of the murders are something else, he's still partially responsible as they are using his words as cover. I don't think we're ever going to agree here. I just think it is completely reprehensible for the political leader of a country to tell citizens that it's ok to kill other citizens.

Well I have been to Davao and have been following him closely since about 2008. There's a lot of very relevant information if you look at how he governed Davao, and why he was so (and still is so) incredibly popular down there.

I did look into his time there a bit when I first heard of him. A lot of the claims about Davao are greatly exaggerated. His supporters were claiming that it was now one of the top ten safest cities in the world and this was being reported as fact in the media. That was based on some dumb website where people talk about how safe they feel. In actuality, Davao is still in the top 5 cities in the Philippines for murder, rape, assault and armed robbery. It might be better than it was 30 years ago, but it's not like he totally stamped out crime. Far from it. Davao had more murders than any other city from 2010 to 2015.

Also, going back to my dictator comment of a few posts ago...the fact that he was governor for that long (getting around term limits by having his kids pretend to be mayor for a year before stepping down and letting him back in) is a bit of a red flag.

In Davao he established things like a pride march for LGBT people. He's openly come out in support of gay marriage as well. He was actually the first politician in the country to support that LGBT party when they tried to register. He also introduced anti-vilification legislation (which was passed) in relation to gay rights.

This in one of the most hardline christian countries on earth. Relevant article from when he was mayor:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...rte-declares-support-gay-marriage-lgbt-rights

I detest homophobic slurs, but the man is 74 years old from a very heavily American-influenced country, and a very socially conservative one at that. I'd rather give weight to his many positive actions than the fact he used some bad words.

Fair enough. Although I've never really found Filipinos to be particularly hostile to gays, despite what the church says. Pre-colonization, they were very LGBT friendly and I think much of that tolerance has survived the centuries of Islamic and Catholic influence. There are gay bars and gay resorts all over the place.

Well people can go out at night without having to worry about petty crime. The drugs war is widely publicised, but its much farther reaching than that. Bagsnatching, assaults, rapes etc are way down. Likewise, people are very optimistic that he will implement the same social reforms that he did in Davao (so things like protecting prostitutes and removing pimps, better funding for roads, schools, hospitals and most of all safety).

Davao was literally the most dangerous city in all of Asia for a very long time. Then Duterte was elected and its now the safest in Philippines and one of the safest anywhere in Asia.

See above. This is highly questionable.

Fair enough. I'm at risk of becoming a defender of the guy which wasn't really the point of this thread.

I just think the media exposure we're getting of him is designed to portray him as an unstable, crass, violent, loose cannon. I don't think this is accurate in the slightest, and from a foreign policy point of view I think he could be a very important agent of change in the pacific. Not that it would be particularly great for Australia, though it could be very good for his people. I've got a lot of love for the Pinoys and as PR and myself have stated, there is such huge potential in that nation and I think the way our state and media is looking at him could cause Australia to miss out on some huge oppurtunities that China will be only too happy to provide in our place.

I'm definitely not a fan of extra judicial killings, but I think the issue is very grey as far as who is actually carrying them out and for what reasons. Its a very complicated country with very complicated people, and I think its a bit crass for anyone to assume the Filipino people didn't know what they were doing by electing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I checked the video and it's the typical pro-Duterte propaganda. They didn't cover the quotes I gave above, it just gives some other quotes and pretends that is all he has said. I had a quick look for video of some of the other quotes, but there wasn't much on the first page of results other than this:

About 15 seconds in he says to call the police, or "feel free to kill them yourself if you have a gun. You have my support." He's said stuff like that multiple times and is cool with suspected addicts being murdered as well as suspected dealers.

He may not be part of the old ruling elite, but he's still wealthy, corrupt and has little respect for human rights. The Trump comparisons are pretty close to the mark IMO, but without the comedy value.

you have to consider the audience he is addressing, it has to be kept very simple. after the one minute mark he clarifies what is required before using legal lethal force and it should be noted we have the same rights and laws here in Australia.

the big difference is the Philippines has been struggling with a civil war and has entered a period more similar to the last decade of the IRA. Those "terrorist/ separatist groups" negotiating peace are behaving, it is those not invited to the table that are responsible for most of the attacks and kidnappings.

At the same time you can't blame the terrorist/ separatist groups for doing what they do, given the political history of the nation.

I am not defending Duterte but I would suggest the Philippines needs a Duterte to draw a line in the sand and the line being a clear demarcation between the past (feudal system and violence) and the future. The question of whether the Philippines can grow under Duterte remains to be seen or whether that is the following presidents.

Fair enough. I'm at risk of becoming a defender of the guy which wasn't really the point of this thread.

I just think the media exposure we're getting of him is designed to portray him as an unstable, crass, violent, loose cannon. I don't think this is accurate in the slightest, and from a foreign policy point of view I think he could be a very important agent of change in the pacific. Not that it would be particularly great for Australia, though it could be very good for his people. I've got a lot of love for the Pinoys and as PR and myself have stated, there is such huge potential in that nation and I think the way our state and media is looking at him could cause Australia to miss out on some huge oppurtunities that China will be only too happy to provide in our place.

I'm definitely not a fan of extra judicial killings, but I think the issue is very grey as far as who is actually carrying them out and for what reasons. Its a very complicated country with very complicated people, and I think its a bit crass for anyone to assume the Filipino people didn't know what they were doing by electing him.

Big fan of the Filipino people as well, and agree that they have huge potential. Also agree that there needs to be change, and that having a president from outside the "elite" families is a good thing. I laughed at his comments about the pope and liked how he said there might not be a god. He's not all bad.

But there's too much ugliness surrounding him and I find a lot of his supporters to be...too devoted. It reminds me a bit of when Thaksin Shinawatra came to power in Thailand (policies appealing to the poor and a violent war on drugs). I was living there at the time and there was a bit of that Duterte or Trump-esque vibe about his supporters. Like he was the messiah for poor people, even though he was a corrupt billionaire.

I'm no more in favour of police killing drug suspects there than I am of them doing it here or in the US. I'm actually more likely to be chilling with drug suspects than police officers myself (here, there, Thailand, anywhere) and I don't believe I deserve to die for that.

I'll be touring Mindanao (november) from Zamboanga, down to Isabela City (nervous about this one), Pagadian, Cotabato then across to Davao. It will be interesting to hear the thoughts on the changes in the nation from the people that matter the most.

I'll be touring Mindanao (november) from Zamboanga, down to Isabela City (nervous about this one), Pagadian, Cotabato then across to Davao. It will be interesting to hear the thoughts on the changes in the nation from the people that matter the most.

I expect to be back in December 2017. If he's reduced the amount of corny xmas s**t at all, I may have a change of opinion. I can't stand the christmas season, and they can take it to sickening levels there.

I actually wonder if the Mindanao people will have noticed a great deal of change considering his influence has been significant in that area for a long time.

The Cebuanos I know are big fans of him, the wealthier Tagalog speakers not as much. Would be interested to find out what the Ifugao think, considering they love the hash.

Also my favourite reggae night in Manila probably sucks now. I'd be tipping they can't openly sell blocks of hash there anymore.

This is an old article (April) but a friend just posted it on facebook.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/halalan2016/focus/04/19/16/understanding-duterte-what-a-psych-report-says

A psychological profile was done on him in the 90s as part of the annulment of his marriage and he didn't come out looking too good.

A report prepared by Dr. Natividad Dayan, former president of the International Council of Psychologists, concluded that Duterte was suffering from "Antisocial Narcissistic Personality Disorder,” a condition characterized by "gross indifference, insensitivity and self-centeredness," "grandiose sense of self-entitlement and manipulative behaviors" and "pervasive tendency to demean, humiliate others and violate their rights and feelings."

Among the features of said personality disorder are "inability for loyalty and commitment, gross indifference to others' needs and feelings, heightened by lack of capacity for remorse and guilt.

Results of Dayan's examination of Duterte showed that the mayor is likely to be "a highly impulsive individual who has difficulty controlling his urges and emotions. He is unable to reflect on the consequences of his actions."

The assessment further showed that Duterte can be easily upset when his needs and desires were not met. "Immediate gratification of his [Duterte's] needs and desires is always expected; any delay can upset him a great deal," the assessment said. The psychological assessment also found Duterte capable of destructive behavior and has poor capacity for objective judgment. "Such lack of self-discipline often leads him to engage in unhealthy or destructive behaviors. However, he is not apt to see his behaviors as such, and instead sees these as merely exciting and challenging," the assessment found.

“As it is, he has poor capacity for objective judgment. He fails to see things in the light of facts, or at least from the point of view of most people. He interprets his actions solely from his own viewpoint, which is blemished by his personal needs, biases and prejudices,” it continued.Duterte also tends to rationalize and justify his wrongdoings, according to the psychological assessment. “For all his wrongdoings, he tends to rationalize and feel justified. Hence, he seldom feels a sense of guilt or remorse.”

There's also some not so nice stuff about his treatment of women:

Several groups have also hit Duterte for his womanizing and alleged demeaning treatment of women. In one of his campaign sorties, Duterte was caught on video kissing a number of female supporters on the lips. Several women who Duterte forcibly kissed on the lips tried to avoid the presidential aspirant's actions, a seen on the video. In Pampanga, one woman tried to avoid Duterte's kiss. But the Davao City mayor held her by the face and kissed her on the lips.

What I said. Most 'personality disorders' are nonsense.

If you want to criticise someone's behaviour, then criticise their behaviour. We can see their behaviour. We can't see their thoughts.

Okay mate. Already did that. This was just another interesting part of the story, I thought. Not really interested in debating the merits of psychology.

Hard to see him being a success. In less than 15 weeks he's made more unforced errors than most heads of government do in their first term. VineyIsLORD will use his popularity as a shield - an odd thing to do given he got a lower vote than Malcolm Turnbull - but George W Bush was elected twice and only the devotees think he achieved anything.

Last edited:
Hard to see him being a success. In less than 15 weeks he's made more unforced errors than most heads of government do in their first term. VineyIsLORD will use his popularity as a shield - an odd thing to do given he got a lower vote than Malcolm Turnbull - but George W Bush was elected twice and only the devotees think he achieved anything.

The Presidential elections in Philippines are not comparable to the Westminster system in any way.

He absolutely smashed it in the election by Philippines standards. Its first past the post and among the 5 serious candidates, Duterte secured 39% of the vote, it was declared a massive win very early in the piece. Unprecedented support from Mindanao where he completely dominated, and he clearly won in Manila and Cebu(the two largest cities). In Australia that would be like someone winning every seat in Melbourne and Sydney, as well as the entirety of Queensland.

Turnbull dreams of having a result like that. Keep in mind he didn't just run as some rogue independent. He had the 'People's Power' Party behind him, with their long established support of fraternities, trade unions etc. It would be inaccurate to call them left wing, but by Filipino standards they're probably the most socially progressive and economically protective major party. They consider themselves 'democratic centrist socialists' so the ALP would probably be the closest Australian equivalent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back