Phillip Hughes death inquest

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for the family of Hughes having to go through this. His team mates too. Let's be real. This was a tragic, freak and accidental death. There is no way the bowlers actually intended to kill him.

Cricket has risks. Sadly we witnessed a one in a million event.

this in a official inquest carried out into his death, it must been seen as independent and thorough ,in carrying out it duty
lets wait and see what the official outcome is before blaming the system

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t/news-story/4ccf7e1058a8a9d0af62909055bba8d1

I felt the questioning, particularly towards Doug Bollinger was quite unfair and I'm not sure what the outcome is that they're trying to achieve with those types of questions.

Any thoughts?
I guess what they are trying to do is determine if there was a pattern of intimidatory bowling that led to the death. Questioning the tactics and alleged sledging has to be part of that. (By the way, I reckon Doug did say that, but is so horrified by what happened that he has wiped it from his memory because it is too much to bear.)

There is some good that can come from this. Firstly, it will be looking into the safety equipment used and if that can be improved in a way that would prevent these accidents from being fatal. There would be universal support for this.

Secondly, it could lead to changes that require umpires to be more active in stopping intimidatory bowling. Perhaps suggest a rule change in the same way rules were changed after Bodyline.

Finally I have seen comments saying the Hughes family would be distressed at hearing the testimony but they are there and seem quite supportive of the inquest, amd they have every right to have these matters heard.

There has also been some concern expressed as to any sledging that may have taken place that day. [Phillip's brother] Jason Hughes has, with the benefit of the video footage available, prepared a ball by ball analysis of the short-pitched deliveries that will assist your honour in understanding these issues.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1061097.html

I know it must be extremely hard for the family to go through this again but the above bit astonished me. Why would his brother go through the footage and compile the tactics used unless he thought there was something more sinister to it? That and the fact that the family were seen to shake their heads when Bollinger denied saying he was going to kill him and I feel they are looking for someone to blame that I've never got a sense of until today.

Interesting exchange this morning with Cooper denying that he told the Hughes family about the alleged Bollinger sledge.

“Mr Cooper, I suggest to you, you told Jason these words and you are now denying them,” barrister for the Hughes family Greg Melick SC said on Tuesday.

“No,” Cooper replied.

Jason Hughes shook his head at times during Cooper’s evidence.

Pretty disappointing from the Hughes family imo. To try and place any blame on players is unfair and putting unessesary stress on those that were out there. Even if it was a deliberate ploy to bowl short balls at him it still doesn't change anything, it was one ball that did the damage not several.

There is some good that can come from this. Firstly, it will be looking into the safety equipment used and if that can be improved in a way that would prevent these accidents from being fatal. There would be universal support for this.

Secondly, it could lead to changes that require umpires to be more active in stopping intimidatory bowling. Perhaps suggest a rule change in the same way rules were changed after Bodyline.

Finally I have seen comments saying the Hughes family would be distressed at hearing the testimony but they are there and seem quite supportive of the inquest, amd they have every right to have these matters heard.
Both can be achieved without putting the players on trial and further traumatizing them imo which effectively what these proceedings are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...t/news-story/ff4c57237bec335292bb7ab0aef95a6d

Clark believes the inquest will investigate making dramatic changes to the use of short-ball bowling in cricket and the potential danger verbal sledging can have on batsmen.

“If they’re looking to ban the short ball, they are going to ruin the game,” he said.

“The game won’t exist, but that’s fine. If that’s the outcome, the game will cease to exist.

I'm not sure what the point of this whole thing is besides trying to vilify the players involved, the whole thing was a tragic accident and nothing more, if you went back you would probably find almost every match a bowler threaten to kill a batsman or worse and even worse again in park cricket.

It was the worst kind of tragic, freak accident and that is that.

Even if Bollinger did say he was going to kill him, did he actually mean that? Of course he didn't, it's a stupid throwaway line that is uttered very often on the field. Is it okay to say that someone? No, it isn't.

But to pretend it's even remotely relevant to what happened to Hughes is ridiculous. It was a tragic accident, one we will almost certainly not see again in our lifetimes in first class cricket in this country.

Bringing this stuff up does nothing but cause hurt to Hughes' family, to Bollinger, to Haddin and everyone being put under the microscope. It's utterly pointless.

I think the inquest is a good thing and is being done the right way. If anything can be done to prevent another tragic incident then it going to make a positive out of such a bad circumstance. I do however, feel the reporting and negative attention toward Bollinger is incredibly unfair. It must be hard enough for Bollinger, Cooper and the rest of the players to be going through the horrific ordeal again- let alone having their name an these conversations splashed all over the media. I am not a huge Bollinger fan, but I feel really sorry for him at the moment.

I think the inquest is a good thing and is being done the right way. If anything can be done to prevent another tragic incident then it going to make a positive out of such a bad circumstance. I do however, feel the reporting and negative attention toward Bollinger is incredibly unfair. It must be hard enough for Bollinger, Cooper and the rest of the players to be going through the horrific ordeal again- let alone having their name an these conversations splashed all over the media. I am not a huge Bollinger fan, but I feel really sorry for him at the moment.

The only way to completely prevent a tragic accident like this or other accidents happening on a cricket ground is to cease playing the game all together....not sure anyone wants that.

Got no idea what they hope to achieve, it was common knowledge that Hughes couldn't handle the short ball.

Even if the NSW players admit that yes they sledged and had a purposeful strategy to bowl short because of his limitations and knowing it would get him injured or out, then what?....

Got no idea what they hope to achieve, it was common knowledge that Hughes couldn't handle the short ball.

Even if the NSW players admit that yes they sledged and had a purposeful strategy to bowl short because of his limitations and knowing it would get him injured or out, then what?....
That's the thing.

What is the end point here?

It may result in a coaching change for junior cricketers, or less likely- a change in helmet design.

An inquest would not be occurring if there were not an end goal. The findings will be published independently and hopefully Cricket Australia can see something within the findings to make a change. Accident's definitely happen- this one was tragic, but if the chance of such an accident occurring again can be reduced by the smallest of percentage's, then it is a good thing.

It was a completely freak accident, though.

Short of banning the bouncer completely, there is no completely, 100% sure fire way of ensuring it doesn't happen again.

As for helmet design, I'd be delighted to see better designs, if they exist, to help lessen the likelihood of it happening again. But if the end goal of the inquest is to help garner information that helps in better helmet design, why the roasting and accusations about whatever Bollinger said, or Haddin's tactics?

I don't condone sledging at all. But to pretend that comments made out in the middle that day contributed at all to what happened is a bridge too far. It does not need to be examined this forensically.

It was a completely freak accident, though.

Short of banning the bouncer completely, there is no completely, 100% sure fire way of ensuring it doesn't happen again.

As for helmet design, I'd be delighted to see better designs, if they exist, to help lessen the likelihood of it happening again. But if the end goal of the inquest is to help garner information that helps in better helmet design, why the roasting and accusations about whatever Bollinger said?

I don't condone sledging at all. But to pretend that comments made out in the middle that day contributed at all to what happened is a bridge too far. It does not need to be examined this forensically.
Completely agree with all of this. :thumbsu:

The way Bollinger and Haddin have been dragged through the mud has been incredibly sad. I just hope something good can come out of it all.

Completely agree with all of this. :thumbsu:

The way Bollinger and Haddin have been dragged through the mud has been incredibly sad. I just hope something good can come out of it all.[/QUOTE]

Add to that Tommy Cooper, who was at the other end and was Phil's housemate at the time. The players were all great mates with Phil and as we all know were shattered by what happened. The questioning that I have read seems to be directed towards finding someone to blame for what happened. For anyone to think that any of the players wanted harm to come to Phil Hughes is a disgrace. I am sad for the guys that they had to go through this initially when the tragedy occurred and even more sad that they are going through this now

I guess what they are trying to do is determine if there was a pattern of intimidatory bowling that led to the death. Questioning the tactics and alleged sledging has to be part of that. (By the way, I reckon Doug did say that, but is so horrified by what happened that he has wiped it from his memory because it is too much to bear.)

It wasn't intimidatory bowling