Phoenix Saved! The Distance Derby lives on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump.
Some good signs from (I believe) our CEO...
Anyway, quoting someone from Yellow Fever:

"David Dome was on Radio Sport and also had call in questions, some really interesting information here. If you don't want to listen here is main points I got.

Nix are near to signing a new contract;

Nix TV Viewership numbers, we aren't the lowest in the league. About 8th or 9th. Nix about 8th in crowd numbers;

Nix doesn't get funding from Sky TV directly;

Nix would love to have a W-League team in Australia;

FFA wants more travelling fans, suggested chartered flights... Nix say that isn't realistic. Nix are more focusing on Overseas supporter groups in Australia instead;

Of all domestic teams, Nix are second most supported in NZ after the Warriors;

Nix are blessed with Yellow Fever and make Wellington the best away trip in the league;

(About Auckland pitch) Nix were told QBE pitch would be fine for months, a week out they told them ground wouldn't come right. Did look at possible transfer but would have been a logistical nightmare. Groundsman was very embarrassed, Nix will put in new controls now and make sure they actually view ground a month out;

Long term, Wellington needs a 10-15k stadium to compliment Westpac but of course not something that would happen soon;

(Auckland kit clash with Melbourne Victory) Nix said at start of season they wanted to play in Grey for Auckland. FFA thought our grey was going to be darker than it was. Mel Victory apparently refused to change because of different sponsors;

Winning means people are 50% more likely to attend the next game. Nix putting as much money into the squad to get this with players like Roly; "

We're hanging in there and could be around for a while yet.

There's some strange quotes there...

- I'd be fascinated to know how they decipher who are the most and least watched clubs - is it just ratings cut in half? In any case, when the draw is as imbalanced as it is (eg. Victory playing a couple of teams 3 times before they've played other teams twice) I don't know how reliable that figure is anyway. And in any case, this notion of using clubs like CCM, Perth and Newcastle as low watermarks is pathetic (on the part of Wellington, and on the part of the A-League with things like the salary cap). They hold the entire league back, and by comparing themselves to the low watermarks Wellington are complicit in that.

- I'm pretty sure they were offered a spot in the W-League when it began and they decided it wasn't viable and it wasn't worth their money.

- What are they doing to try and engage an Australian supporter group? I'm pretty in tune with the A-League, particularly with the Melbourne teams, and I see no evidence of this whatsoever. I know a couple of Kiwi blokes in Sydney who go to a couple of Nix games a year (in Sydney) who have lamented for years that they don't do this.

- I don't know that much about Super Rugby - but I find it very hard to believe that they're a more successful team by any measure than the most successful SR teams (eg. Crusaders)

- How can they not already have controls in place to monitor the state of a ground that they play at once a year? That's almost comedic.

- We know for a fact that the line about the Victory refusing to change jerseys isn't right - they warmed up in the blue jerseys at the behest of the referee and De Bohun over ruled them. That seems like trying to shift the blame because like with the stadium, they made a plan (with the jerseys) and never followed up with the execution.

I like the Nix, I think they add to the league and I want them to stay - but the CEO certainly isn't doing any favours by telling fibs and by highlighting their own ineptitude.

There's some strange quotes there...

- I'd be fascinated to know how they decipher who are the most and least watched clubs - is it just ratings cut in half? In any case, when the draw is as imbalanced as it is (eg. Victory playing a couple of teams 3 times before they've played other teams twice) I don't know how reliable that figure is anyway. And in any case, this notion of using clubs like CCM, Perth and Newcastle as low watermarks is pathetic (on the part of Wellington, and on the part of the A-League with things like the salary cap). They hold the entire league back, and by comparing themselves to the low watermarks Wellington are complicit in that.
#metrics
Crowd numbers. Anything for us is better than last place.

- I'm pretty sure they were offered a spot in the W-League when it began and they decided it wasn't viable and it wasn't worth their money.
Different owners. Before we had Terry Serepises, now we have Rob Morrison and Welnix group.

- What are they doing to try and engage an Australian supporter group? I'm pretty in tune with the A-League, particularly with the Melbourne teams, and I see no evidence of this whatsoever. I know a couple of Kiwi blokes in Sydney who go to a couple of Nix games a year (in Sydney) who have lamented for years that they don't do this.
Yeah, not too sure about this one haha

- I don't know that much about Super Rugby - but I find it very hard to believe that they're a more successful team by any measure than the most successful SR teams (eg. Crusaders)
From what I've read on the Nix forum, Super Rugby is also struggling for crowd numbers. Sure, the final got 36,000, but that was a final. I can't back it up with stats, though as I'm on my phone..
- How can they not already have controls in place to monitor the state of a ground that they play at once a year? That's almost comedic.
They had bigger things to worry about.. like surviving the New Year and the rest of the season. ;)

- We know for a fact that the line about the Victory refusing to change jerseys isn't right - they warmed up in the blue jerseys at the behest of the referee and De Bohun over ruled them. That seems like trying to shift the blame because like with the stadium, they made a plan (with the jerseys) and never followed up with the execution.
There's all kinds of rumours. I heard the FFA changed it up last minute. Who knows?????

Good news.

Wellington Phoenix and Football Federation Australia on cusp of licence agreement

The Wellington Phoenix are set to be granted a 10-year A-League licence extension.

It's understood that the Welnix group, who hold the club's licence, are on the verge of an agreement with Football Federation Australia (FFA) that would see the Phoenix afforded the tenure they're after.

There would be various strings attached, which dictate that the club have to continue meeting various agreed marks. Failure to do so would result in a swift review of their A-League status.

Well done 'Nux. Would love to see FFA work together with the NZ federation to get them into the AFC.

They don't want to go...
Good news.

Wellington Phoenix and Football Federation Australia on cusp of licence agreement

I'm not quite sure how I feel about additional "metrics" needing to be met... I guess we'll hear more about the specifics soon.

They don't want to go...

I'm not quite sure how I feel about additional "metrics" needing to be met... I guess we'll hear more about the specifics soon.

Don't understand why they wouldn't want to join AFC. Nix will be able to play in the AFC CL for starters. And it will surely help development of the NZ national teams at all levels.

Oceania is holding NZ back atm.

If the Nix do get renewed, it's probably more a case of the FFA not being able to acquire the necessary investment and funds for a Southern Sydney/Cronulla side.

Either that or foxsports negotiations wouldn't have increased as initially anticipated.

Don't understand why they wouldn't want to join AFC. Nix will be able to play in the AFC CL for starters. And it will surely help development of the NZ national teams at all levels.

Oceania is holding NZ back atm.

NZ's FA barely gives a s**t about the Phoenix - it was one of the primary reasons that there head has been on the block the last few months.

From what I understand, football is a top tier sport in Australia compared to how it's viewed in NZ. They don't have the players, the set up or the ambition to become any sort of a regional powerhouse in the way that Australia did - so for as long as they're a walk up start to a World Cup play-off every 4 years, why wouldn't they take it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great stuff by the Nix - I wonder if our (Jets) situation may have been a factor given we're still on the market for a new owner; not to mention a few other clubs needing FFA assistance.

NZ's FA barely gives a s**t about the Phoenix - it was one of the primary reasons that there head has been on the block the last few months.

From what I understand, football is a top tier sport in Australia compared to how it's viewed in NZ. They don't have the players, the set up or the ambition to become any sort of a regional powerhouse in the way that Australia did - so for as long as they're a walk up start to a World Cup play-off every 4 years, why wouldn't they take it?
True on the first part not so on the part that they dont have the players. Currently yes they wouldn't get in via Asia but youth football in NZ has very good numbers and the number of clubs and soccer fields you see would be on par with that in Australia. But you're 100% right the FNZ are inept at handling a professional sporting team or they don't want to help the Australian product. Either scenario is a joke really! They do everything they can to support their own tinpot domestic comp and leave the Nix to struggle

Third Sydney A-League team ruled out as Wellington Phoenix gain licence renewal

A top-tier club based in Sydney's southern suburbs will not enter the A-League for at least another four seasons after Wellington Phoenix agreed terms to a four-year licence extension with Football Federation Australia.

A third team to be based in Sydney was lined-up to replace Wellington Phoenix as early as October but the New Zealand club has accepted a renewed offer from the FFA that guarantees its existence at least until the 2020 season, albeit with strict provisions.

Australia's 17-year link with football in New Zealand appeared set to be cut at the end of the season when the Phoenix's deal was due to expire. However, Wellington's owners negotiated a heavily incentivised deal that could ensure their long-term survival pending their off-field performance.

Fairfax Media understands a minimum four-year licence has been agreed upon by both parties with built-in extension clauses that could amount to a total of 10 years should the club meet high commercial targets.

After growing frustrated with the club, which has offered little in terms of revenue, public interest and benefit for Australian player development, the FFA rejected Wellington's application for a 10-year licence extension in October last year and began exploring the possibility of other teams to replace the Phoenix.

The Phoenix ownership consortium - the Welnix group - criticised the lack of incentive to invest in a club and negotiated a tiered structured licence of a minimum four years with two separate three-year extensions. Under the new deal, the FFA will impose strict and conditional requirements relating to memberships, attendances, TV viewers and broadcast revenue for the club. If the Phoenix meet the targets by the 2019-20 season, they will automatically be approved for a three-year renewal. The club will again have to pass commercial benchmarks to receive another three-year extension in season 2022-23. All extensions will require FIFA, Oceania Football Confederation and Asia Football Confederation approval.

Sources suggest much of these requirements could be met by the Phoenix raising their profile with big-name marquee players who would turn the forgotten club of the league into a drawcard for away games. As things stand, games against Wellington Phoenix often draw the lowest home crowds for Australian teams and fail to attract significant interest in New Zealand.

It is understood the FFA spends approximately $3.5 million a year on Wellington Phoenix through their share of the TV deal and additional travel costs, despite the club attributing to no more than $300,000 in total broadcast revenue.

Following an FFA board meeting last October, the club was told the governing body was not willing to continue funding it at such a rate under the current terms. The Phoenix sought greater contribution and involvement from New Zealand Football as well as the local council, which is helping establish a centre of excellence. To attract more fans and viewers, Phoenix are also looking at the possibility of following in the footsteps of New Zealand Warriors and adopting a more national profile, including playing more games in other major cities.

The development effectively kills the chance of a third Sydney team being established in the A-League in the near future despite the FFA undertaking major groundwork within the St George and Sutherland regions. Local football associations, councils and businesses had joined forces to support an A-League club in the region and were awaiting the green light from the governing body to help establish a club.

That club will not likely come into existence until 2019 once a new TV deal kicks in, financially enabling the FFA to open a bidding process for expansion to a 12-team competition. The region remains the frontrunner to become one of the new teams in the A-League and even attracted the interest of Socceroos star Tim Cahill. The format and timing in which the expansion process will be conducted hinges on the new broadcast deal which comes into effect in the 2017-18 season. A second team in Brisbane to rival the Roar remains another strong contender for an A-League licence in any expansion.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...nix-gain-licence-renewal-20160117-gm7ojz.html

How do they possibly make long term plans for the club, both on and off the field, if a gun is constantly being held to their head?

And since when was the aim of the Nix (and their predecessors) to develop Australian footballers? Surely it was to contribute something to Oceania, and to try and get additional money/resources out of another market?

Surely it was to contribute something to Oceania, and to try and get additional money/resources out of another market?
That would be something the A-League and FFA could possibly consider if FNZ or the OFC gave two shits about the Phoenix

I'm a bit unsure why the Nix having their licence renewed means a third Sydney (or any other expansion club) can't necessarily happen. Presumably it's due to the TV deal/broadcast rights in some way; but assuming any new franchise is sustainable, why not both?

Why do Sydney need a 3rd team? 2 is already enough.

Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily advocating for a third Sydney club (I'd rather a Wollongong team or revival of the Fury personally) but just curious why the article would hint that the Nix getting a renewal means an expansion club can't happen as a consequence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back