Phoenix Suns Thread - Like a sunrise

Remove this Banner Ad

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Blake Griffin to meet with the Suns this Saturday. Would be a great get if he can stay healthy. You'd be looking at a starting line up of Bledsoe,Booker,Jackson,Griffin and Chriss, with Ulis,Bender,Warren,Williams off the bench
Yep him and Millsap will be meeting with the Suns, happy to get either

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
Yep him and Millsap will be meeting with the Suns, happy to get either
Yeah we need a big power forward at the moment. Bender is still too raw and thin and Williams is like 6'2" and can't block or dunk. I think Chriss could be decent at centre

Griffin would be a huge coup. I'm a bit indifferent about Millsap. He'd be great but he's 32 years old, he won't exactly be around for long.

If we can get Griffin, just imagine how exciting the brand of basketball we could play? Maybe even go back to looking like we did in the mid 2000s.

Ain't it great that we've finally got free agents reaching out to come to Phoenix? Or he could just be using us to get a better offer from the Clips

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
Griffin would be a huge coup. I'm a bit indifferent about Millsap. He'd be great but he's 32 years old, he won't exactly be around for long.

Ain't it great that we've finally got free agents reaching out to come to Phoenix?
Probably because we're offering Griffin 130 million for 4 years

Probably because we're offering Griffin 130 million for 4 years
Well apparently Griffin reached out to us

And I'm pretty sure we still need to shed some cap space to be able to fit 130m over 4 years. So doubt we'd table an proper offer unless we were already in the process of getting that done

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
Well apparently Griffin reached out to us

And I'm pretty sure we still need to shed some cap space to be able to fit 130m over 4 years. So doubt we'd table an proper offer unless we were already in the process of getting that done
Hopefully looking at trading Bledsoe for someone handy. Imagine Ulis's alleyoop/passing game with Griffin and Chriss around the rim

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
Griffin would be a coup. After the addition of Jackson would give us a ball handler at four positions and if Bender can somehow develop as a C even potentially five down the track. He is a top 10 player in the league IMO when healthy and allows Booker to mature his game without the pressure of scoring and creating every night. Jackson, Griffen, Chriss is an absurd vertical threat the likes of which we have never seen in Phoenix. Negatives - injury prone, not really a wild driven athlete with a thirst for rings (from what I can tell), that rumored offer is prohibitive in years 3 and 4 when our rookie contracts end, we are a poor team a gazillion miles away from competing, especially defensively.

Millsap is 33 next season and any interest from us is perplexing to me.

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
And of course the usual caveat of nobody good ever signing with us, making the Griffin talk seem a bit far fetched.

I think we could get away with playing a bit smaller with Chriss at the 5, at least for the upcoming season

I'm not sure what to do with Bledsoe. He could be a big part in getting Griffin here (apparently he'll be at the meeting), but he also wouldn't fit into a system we'd likely play if we had Griffin and a smaller, faster brand of basketball. His isolation plays would stall us way too much

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
No to Millsap. Yes to Blake. Would like to see some offence run through the post as he's a decent passer for his position.
Decent is understating it I think. He is elite at passing and putting the ball on the floor for a big. Would transform our offense completely.

Decent is understating it I think. He is elite at passing and putting the ball on the floor for a big. Would transform our offense completely.
I'm a Suns fan so it's my job to understate things!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could potentially have 4 players who would be able to bring the ball up and/or handle the ball

Heck, in a few years we could even have 5 if Bender develops. Earl Watson came out and said he'd like to see Bender take up some ball-handling duties in the summer league

Some footage of his ball handling abilities

Last edited:

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
Griffin cancels his meeting... Great.

Chances are we're going to think about throwing all that money at Millsap now, which I think would be a big panic-buy mistake.
FFS.

Griffin agrees to 5 year, 173M deal with Clippers. Got him for a steal....

Millsap for 2 years would be good. Are there any other decent power forwards on the market at the moment?

FFS.

Millsap for 2 years would be good. Are there any other decent power forwards on the market at the moment?
Ibaka is an unrestricted free agent, Pau Gasol has a player option he can exercise or not, LaMarcus Aldridge is supposedly up in the air about staying in San Antonio and then there's Greg Monroe, who I'd think would be a great coup for us but unlikely.

I don't think we'd be at all interested in the first two. Aldridge, perhaps, considering we were after him when he was a free agent.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
FFS.

Isn't that the max for players his age?

Can't say I'm too disappointed about this. I really wasn't thrilled to hear that we were thinking about throwing max money at a guy whose body hasn't been any good in years, and who plays the same spot that the players we just used two top 10 picks to draft play. Let's just hope they don't now actually sign Millsap to a four year/max deal...

Watched a bit of today's summer league game

Bender still isn't there yet, shows a bit here and there but nothing that'll get you out of your seat. He's still young though, think one of, if not, the youngest on the summer league team

Josh Jackson looks good. His shooting motion, maybe not so much but it works ok. He's great on the defensive end

Reed was impressive. Shoots and defends well, and by all showings today he is proving to be a good second round pick.

Yes I saw a bit also. Good win against a strong squad in Sacto.

Liked Jackson slashing and Chriss looking confident as he should.

Reed lit it up, shooting wise.

Fox will be a stud for Sacto

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
Chriss was really disappointing tbh. And man has he piled on size. Bender looked strong on D. Jackson has all the makings of a general defensively. Never out of place on that side of the court and doesn't go chasing blocks and steals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back