Phoenix's 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

PhoenixBonez

All Australian
Jan 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys long time watcher, just now trying to contribute.

Keep in mind I don’t have any inside information from clubs or connection. This is based on my own thoughts of games I have watched throughout the season.

Feel free to add any comments or feedback.

DRAFT SUMMARY:

Round 1:
1. Essendon - Hugh McCluggage
2. GWS - Andrew McGrath
3. Gold Coast (Brisbane bid) - Jack Bowes
4. Brisbane - Ben Ainsworth
5. Carlton - Will Brodie
6. Gold Coast - Sam Petrevski-Seton
7. Fremantle - Tim English
8. Gold Coast - Tim Taranto
9. GWS (Sydney bid) - Will Setterfield
10. Sydney - Jack Scrimshaw
11. Gold Coast - Todd Marshall
12. North Melbourne - Daniel Venables
13. West Coast – Oliver Florent
14. Adelaide – Griffen Logue
15. GWS (Port Adelaide bid) - Harry Perryman
16. Port Adelaide - Jarrod Berry
17. Brisbane - Josh Rotham
18. Port Adelaide - Jy Simpkin
19. Western Bulldogs - Brad Scheer
20. Sydney - Jordan Gallucci

Round 2:
21. Essendon - Josh Battle
22. Brisbane - Sam Powell-Pepper
23. GWS (Brisbane bid) - Harrison Macreadie
24. GWS (Brisbane bid) - Zac Sproule
25. Brisbane - Brennan Cox
26. St Kilda - Shai Bolton
27. Geelong - Alex Witherden
28. Carlton - Kobe Mutch
29. Western Bulldogs – Will Hayward
30. Richmond – Cedric Cox
31. Collingwood - Jonty Scharenberg
32. Essendon - Dylan Clarke
33. Port Adelaide – Luke Ryan
34. Port Adelaide - Willem Drew
35. North Melbourne – Myles Poholke
36. North Melbourne - Patrick Kerr
37. West Coast - Zach Fisher
38. Fremantle – Matt Guelfi
39. Collingwood (St Kilda bid) – Callum Brown
40. St Kilda- Jack Graham
41. Geelong - Brandon Parfitt
42. Brisbane (Fremantle bid)- Jacob Allison
43. Fremantle - Joseph Atley

Last edited:
Phantom Draft - Round 1

1. Essendon - Hugh McCluggage
Reminds me of: Dane Swan
185cm, 75kg, MID, North Ballarat Rebels
Essendon have been crying out for a dominant mid with high scoreboard impact for years and they can fill this need while taking one of the best mids in the draft. Prolific numbers, leaning slightly towards an outside mid but has been improving the contested side of his game. I’m not sure who in the AFL he can be compared against well but the way he just knows where to go to get the ball without being blessed with extreme speed and the way he can go forward, be strong overhead and impact the scoreboard reminds me of Dane Swan. If he continues to improve at the rate he has over the past year, could be just about anything, especially given the lack of pre-season this year.

2. GWS - Andrew McGrath
Reminds me of: Jason Johannisen
179cm, 75kg, MID/GEN DEF, Sandringham Dragons
Has been very strongly linked to GWS. Apparently a great guy with strong leadership skills and also an outstanding athlete. Measured at 177cm at the combine but also scored very well in the vertical leaping tests and is a very strong presence overhead despite his size. Tackles well, can take the ball at top acceleration and can play multiple positions. Showed that he can play a very good shut down role on a forward while also providing excellent run and carry out of defence. Also showed he can go into the middle and get his own ball as well.

3. (Expected Bid from Brisbane) Gold Coast - Jack Bowes
Reminds me of: Dylan Shiel
187cm, 78kg, MID, Surfers Paradise
Expecting a bid from Brisbane for the best QLD talent, and a no-brainer decision to match by the Suns, may end up the best player in the draft.

4. Brisbane - Ben Ainsworth
Best case scenario: Brad Johnson
179cm, 74kg, MID/GEN FWD, Gippsland Power
Ainsworth is a difficult one to place, a dominant forward throughout his junior years but at a height just under 180cm and mainly playing as a lead up forward he may slip down the pecking order. Showed later in the year that he can also make an impact in the midfield – but there are still queries over his ability to do this on a consistent basis. However Brisbane have been strongly linked to this boy and I’m sure they’ll be very happy to take him.

5. Carlton - Will Brodie
Reminds me of: David Mundy
187cm, 80kg, MID, Murray Bushrangers
A simple case here of picking the best available here, I believe Brodie could be the best player in the draft and will be too difficult for Carlton to pass up. I think he's the closest "sure-thing" as far as draftees go this year after his impressive form against the VFL sides as well as the U18 championships. Showed the ability to dominate around the clearances and get the footy out, but also displayed a quick burst of speed on the outside before a couple of niggling injuries held him back a bit towards the latter half of the year.

6. Gold Coast - Sam Petrevski-Seton
Reminds me of: Michael Long
181cm, 76kg, MID, Claremont Tigers
With a number of picks inside the top 10, expect Gold Coast to be somewhat strategic with their selections and I see Petrevski-Seton not only the best available here but also close to a certainty to go to Fremantle if available so Gold Coast will want to take him before Fremantle get the chance. Gives Gold Coast a skillful polished mid that may go forward early in his career and have a strong impact there.

7. Fremantle - Tim English
203cm, 86kg, RUCK, South Fremantle
Best case scenario: Stefan Martin/Unique tall defender
An interesting ruckman who looks better around the ground and very impressive below his knees for a big man but not quite dominant with his tap work. Could develop into one of the best KPDs out of this draft as he has shown glimpses when moved back but only glimpses. Has also been able to lay good tackling pressure through the packs for a big man which is great to see.
Could go slightly higher or could slide depending on how clubs rate using a 1st rounder on a ruckman type.

8. Gold Coast - Tim Taranto
189cm, 88kg, MID/FWD, Western Jets
Best case scenario: Brett Deledio
A tall midfielder that can also go forward and has great hands overhead, leading the U18 champs for marks with 23 (including 3 contested) and can also be damaging by foot. Good balance of inside/outside midfield ability and a haul of Bowes/SPS/Taranto will go a long way to recovering from the loss of Prestia and O’Meara (the latter not really having an impact in the last couple of years anyway).

9. (Expected Bid from Sydney) GWS - Will Setterfield
190cm, 80kg, MID, Sandringham Dragons
Reminds me of: Ryan Griffen.
GWS will match this bid and be happy about it. A very tall midfielder who has the scope to do just about anything with his size and athletecism.

10. Sydney - Jack Scrimshaw
193cm, 80kg, KPD/GEN DEF/MID, Sandringham Dragons
Reminds me of: Grant Birchall
Sydney has been well linked to Logue but I think if Scrimshaw is available here they are more likely to snap up the silky skilled Scrimshaw. Has played most of his juniors down back and gas the height to play on talls and the nous to play on smalls. Very damaging by foot and loves to run the footy forward out of the back 50 and is the type of player you really want in modern footy to capitalize on turn overs. He is a strong big-bodied presence which has seen him being likened to Bontempelli by some, personally I don’t think he has yet cemented his ability to play through the midfield in a permanent role but having that possible multi-position ability will only increase his draft stocks.

11. Gold Coast - Todd Marshall
Best case scenario: Darcy Moore
197cm, 87kg, KPF, Murray Bushrangers
Appears the best available KPF prospect in this draft at the moment and I believe Gold Coast can take the slight risk in picking Marshall up after taking 3 talented mids. Will likely strongly consider Logue here as well but KPFs are always in demand.

12. North Melbourne - Daniel Venables
Reminds me of: Paul Chapman
186cm, 81kg, MID/GEN FWD, Western Jets
A high impact mid/forward who adds star class. Hasn't been as prolific as I'd like but when he gets it, good things happen. Has very good scoreboard impact and a high retention rate for having the majority of his posessions forward of centre. Love his burst of speed as well and just seems a natural footy player.

13. West Coast – Oliver Florent
Reminds me of: David Zaharakis
183cm, 74kg MID/GEN FWD, Sandringham Dragons
A talented midfielder who is probably the biggest bolter in this draft year. Steadily improved throughout the year, tested really strongly at the combine and has shown the ability to play both inside and outside with a decent turn of pace and generally an effective kick.

14. Adelaide – Griffen Logue
Best case scenario: Michael Hurley/???
193cm, 92kg KPD/UTILITY, Swan Districts
Possibly the most versatile player in the draft. Has shown the ability to hold down a KPD position but also the ability to dominate the midfield. I dare say he’s the type of player that could be seen as a massive steal around this stage of the draft or a disappointment.

15. GWS (Expected bud from Port Adelaide) - Harrison Perryman
184cm, 75kg, MID, Collingullie
Best case scenario: Jarrod McVeigh
Honestly I have to say I haven’t been as impressed by Perryman as other draft watchers seem to have been. Personally I haven’t seen him that damaging coming out of the backline or through the midfield, at times looking a bit rushed with the ball to me. However I know he is highly rated so I’ve still got him going in the first round in my phantom.

16. Port Adelaide - Jarrod Berry
191cm, 80kg, GEN DEF/UTILITY, North Ballarat
Best case scenario: Bob Murphy
Another one that can play on either talls or smalls down back and rebound the ball really well from defensive 50 with strong leadership traits. Has also shown the ability to play through the midfield and even go forward at times and damage the scoreboard. Really like him and I think he’ll prove really good value for Port Adelaide at this pick.

17. Brisbane - Josh Rotham
Reminds me of: Andrew Mackie
192cm, 79kg, KPD/GEN DEF/MID, West Perth
I'd imagine Brisbane would be keen to grab Rotham and improve the depth of their defensive stocks. I'm not sure if he can play a KPD role at this stage but he is certainly very good overhead and looks to be strong athletically. Has the ability to play multiple roles and could also develop into a mid.

18. Port Adelaide - Jy Simpkin
181cm, 71kg, MID/GEN FWD, Murray Bushrangers
Best case scenario: Nick Dal Santo
Talented midfielder/general forward who could be the best/most damaging kick in the draft, however his season has been cut very short with a serious leg injury earlier this year.
Depending on his recovery he could be the steal of the draft, though he needs to develop his contested possession rate and this may be further reduced after his injury rather than developed.

19. Western Bulldogs - Brad Scheer (not matched by GC)
184cm, 83kg, MID, Palm Beach Currumbin
Best case scenario: Jimmy Bartel
A medium-big bodied midfielder. Has a strong overhead mark for his size and can drift forward to slot a goal or two and would be a great addition to the Bulldogs. At this stage I’m not sure if GC would match as they have no further points to use this year and the way I read the rules is that if Scheer is bid upon in the first round and they do choose to match, that would push back their first round pick next year, potentially moving say pick 2 to pick 8 which may be too high a price to pay without knowing what the top 2 vs the top 10 could potentially be next year.

20. Sydney - Jordan Gallucci
183cm, 75kg, MID, Eastern Ranges
Best case scenario: Hamish Hartlett
I had a bit of trouble deciding who Sydney were going to pick up here and ended up with Gallucci, the fast paced fella with a penetrating kick. Can be a real game changer with his run and carry and adds a bit more pace to the Swan’s midfield.

Last edited:
Phantom Draft ROUND 2

21. Essendon - Josh Battle
192cm, 90kg, KPF, Dandenong Stingrays
Best case scenario: Jack Darling
Battle is a hard one to judge. A smallish KPF in modern footy at 192cm but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far with both his 1-on-1 ability and his disposal by foot, including some pin-point I50s after leading up out of the arc. Seems to have good forward nous and Essendon ertainly need to improve the stocks of their KPFs, even if they are a bit smaller.

22. Brisbane - Sam Powell-Pepper
186cm, 83kg, MID, East Perth
Best case scenario: Dustin Martin
Big bodied contested player that just goes hard at the contest and hits it at speed. Not prolific but you can really feel his impact in the game, unlike a lot of other inside mids where sometimes you can hardly even notice them get the footy and suddenly they're on 20 possessions, you notice Powell-Pepper each time he attacks a contest.
Has been widely criticized for his disposal, and probably rightly so, however a lot of his possessions are under a lot of pressure as he bursts through packs and looks to drive the ball forward. This may, however, see him slip further down if clubs really focus on foot skills. Could also go higher given his talent – a tough one to judge but I feel Brisbane would be happy to have him.
I worry also that at times he seems to want to do too much himself.

23. (Bid from Brisbane) GWS - Harrison Macreadie
Best case scenario: Cale Hooker
196cm, 89kg, KPD, Henty
At this point I see no reason why Brisbane wouldn't want to bid here for Macreadie as they could definitely use another strong KPD, especially one from outside Victoria. GWS will surely match however.

24. (Expected bid from Brisbane) GWS - Zac Sproule
197cm, 84kg, KPF/KPD, Murray Bushrangers
Best case scenario: Less dominant Nick Riewoldt
I don’t see Sproule much behind Macreadie, had a strong finish to the year playing mostly out of the backline but has also showed his ability to lead well up forward. Runs all day and is a decent overhead mark and kick at goal. GWS's last selection for mine, to pick up Sproule and be very happy with this draft, walking away with all their targeted academy prospects as well as McGrath.

25. Brisbane - Brennan Cox
194cm, 90kg KPD, Woodville West Torrens
Best cast scenario: Robbie Tarrant
One of the better KPDs in the draft who also shows the ability to run off his opponent and provide a rebounding D50 option which is so important in the modern game. Has spent a bit of time up forward as well and looks comfortable in both positions.

26. St Kilda - Shai Bolton
177cm, 67kg, MID/GEN FWD, South Fremantle
Best case scenario: Leon Davis
Has been impressive with his burst of speed and creativity through the midfield as well as forward of centre. With a strong group of inside mids, Bolton could be the perfect foil for the Saints to get it on the outside and run.

27. Geelong - Alex Witherden
184cm, 76kg, GEN DEF, Geelong Falcons
Best case scenario: Nick Malceski
Another one who has missed a lot of footy due to injury. Really going to be interesting to see where he ends up landing, I feel if he gets to Geelong’s first pick they will be more than happy to snap up the best talent from the Falcons this year and also suits a need with the retirement of Enright and Mackie not getting any younger. They have, of course, brought in Tuohy but I think they still need more depth in this area. Could also develop into a midfielder.

28. (Expected Bid from Carlton) Carlton - Kobe Mutch
184cm, 79kg, MID, Bendigo Pioneers
Best case scenario: Steele Sidebottom
At this stage I don’t have Carlton matching this bid as I think they’ll be happy with their haul so far and be done with it. I wouldn’t blame them going either way with Mutch, doesn’t seem like the type of player they need but would be a strong pick up for Carlton as a player who can work both inside and accumulate on the outside to be the foil for a possible Cripps/Brodie combination.

29. Western Bulldogs – Will Hayward
186cm, 76kg, GEN FWD/MID, North Adelaide
Another bolter of the draft who has been massive toward the back end of the season with big goal hauls playing in the SANFL. Also showed an ability to go through the midfield in the All-Stars game which he hadn’t had much opportunity to do previously. Talented kid who will add further versatility to the Bulldog’s lineup.

30. Richmond – Cedric Cox
184cm, 70kg, GEN DEF/MID, North Ballarat Rebels
A talented player who excels most when able to run and carry the ball out of the backline, an area that is super important in the modern game and that Richmond need further improvement on so I see him as a good fit here.

31. Collingwood - Jonty Scharenberg
186cm, 80kg, MID, Glenelg
Best case scenario: Matt Priddis
Collingwood will be stoked to pick up Scharenberg here, a very strong, prolific inside clearance player who loves to tackle but needs to improve his disposal efficiency and scoreboard impact. Seems a natural footballer, has been ultra consistent and wills his team over the line.

32. Essendon - Dylan Clarke
187cm, 85kg, MID, Eastern Ranges
Best case scenario: Zach Merrett
Prolific inside mid who loves the contest and has been very impressive for Vic Metro. Is one of my personal favourites and would help boost Essendon's inside mid stocks with Watson/Goddard etc getting older.

33. Port Adelaide – Luke Ryan
185cm, 82kg GEN DEF, Coburg (VFL)
Reminds me off: Mark Baguley
A mature aged 20-year old that could help Port Adelaide consolidate their smaller defensive stocks while also providing good intercept and rebound ability.

34. Port Adelaide - Willem Drew
188cm, 78kg, MID, North Ballarat Rebels
Best case scenario: Jobe Watson
Port Adelaide will be pleased to secure a strong big-bodied midfielder who is great around the contest. Has also shown a strong ability to play forward and snare a couple of goals, adding to his verastility.

35. North Melbourne – Myles Poholke
184cm, 84kg, MID/GEN FWD, Dandenong Stingrays
Best case scenario: Paul Chapman
A well balanced inside/outside mid who gets a lot of his footy forward of centre and has a booming kick, kicking multiple goals from outside fifty. Needs to work on his consistency throughout games.

36. North Melbourne - Patrick Kerr
194cm, 93kg, KPF, Oakleigh Chargers
Best case scenario: Jeremy Cameron
Strong overhead mark and really impressed once the ball hit the ground as well. I'm sure North Melbourne wouldn't mind adding to their KPF stocks.

37. West Coast - Zach Fisher
175cm, 61kg MID, Perth
Best case scenario: Caleb Daniel
He’s small, he’s light framed but he can play football. Gets heaps of the footy, both inside and out, is generally effective with ball in hand and can impact the scoreboard as well. Just his body size/shape holding him back and whether he can transfer his game to AFL level.

38. Fremantle – Matt Guelfi
184cm, 78kg MID, Claremont
I’m a fan of Guelfi who had an excellent U18 champs as an inside leaning midfielder who was in the top 7 players for clearances, tackles, contested possessions and inside 50s. Needs to work on his kicking efficiency.

39. (Expected bid from St Kilda) Collingwood – Callum Brown
177cm, 68kg MID/GEN FWD, Eastern Ranges
Another player who had a strong U18 champs, Brown excelled when moved into the middle of the ground, while showing glimpses when playing as a small forward. Difficult to say how well his contested game will translate to AFL given his size and will certainly need to hit the weight rooms and develop his body a bit.

40. St Kilda- Jack Graham
183cm, 83kg, MID/GEN DEF, North Adelaide
Best case scenario: Brodie Smith
Another strong bodied contested midfielder for St Kilda who was just too good to pass up here. Has also shown he can provide good run and carry out of the defensive 50 and was named the best player in the U18 champs playing in this role.

41. Geelong - Brandon Parfitt
179cm, 78kg, MID, North Adelaide/NT
Best case scenario: David Rodan
An outside leaning flashy mid but he can still win his own ball. Earnt AA honors last year and has been one of the more impressive players for the Allies this championships as well. Provides a bit more run and carry on the outside for the Cats.

42. (Expected bid from Fremantle) Brisbane - Jacob Allison
194cm, 79kg, MID, Aspley
Best case scenario: Adam Hunter
A true utility and Brisbane will be very happy to take him here. Has huge potential but is yet to really show it all together in one game and hasn't been as impressive this year.

43. Fremantle - Joseph Atley
185cm, 80kg, MID, Bendigo Pioneers
Best case scenario: Cameron Ling
Strong inside leaning mid that improved each week throughout the U18 champs. Can do the hard stuff with tackling and clearances his main strength but also has a decent burst of speed.

Last edited:

Power Rankings

-- Top level --

1. Hugh McCluggage (VIC - MID/FWD)

2. Andrew McGrath (VIC - MID/DEF)

3. Will Brodie (VIC - MID)

4. Sam Petrevski-Seton (WA - MID/FWD)

5. Jack Bowes (QLD - Gold Coast Academy - MID)

6. Tim Taranto (VIC - MID/FWD)

7. Ben Ainsworth (VIC - FWD/MID)

8. Jack Scrimshaw (VIC - DEF/MID)

9. Tim English (WA - RUCK/UTILITY)

10. Will Setterfield (NSW - GWS Academy - MID)

11. Jarrod Berry (VIC - DEF/MID/UTILITY)

12. Griffin Logue (WA - KPD/UTILITY)

-- Second level --

13. Dylan Clarke (VIC - MID)

14. Daniel Venables (VIC - MID/FWD)

15. Josh Rotham (WA - KPD/DEF)

16. Jye Simpkin (VIC - MID/FWD)

17. Oliver Florent (VIC - MID)

18. Will Hayward (SA - FWD/MID)

19. Sam Powell-Pepper (WA - MID/FWD)

20. Shai Bolton (WA - FWD/MID)

21. Todd Marshall (NSW - KPF)

22. Brad Scheer (QLD - MID/FWD)

23. Jordan Gallucci (VIC - MID)

24. Josh Battle (VIC - KPF)

25. Harry Perryman (NSW - GWS Academy - MID/DEF)

26. Jonty Scharenberg (SA - MID)

27. Kobe Mutch (NSW - GWS Academy - MID)

-- Third level --

28. Alex Villis (SA - DEF/MID)

29. Jake Pitman (SA - MID)

30. Brennan Cox (SA - KPD)

31. Harrison Macreadie (NSW - GWS Academy - KPD)

32. Cedric Cox (VIC - MID/DEF)

33. Zach Sproule (NSW - GWS Academy - KPF)

34. Myles Poholke (VIC - FWD/MID)

35. Alex Witherden (VIC - DEF)

36. Patrick Kerr (VIC - KPF)

37. Joe Atley (VIC - MID)

38. Willem Drew (VIC - MID)

39. Sam Walker (SA - DEF)

40. Jack Maibaum (VIC - KPD)

41. Ryan Garthwaite (NSW - KPD)

42. Zach Fisher (WA - MID)

43. Jack Graham (SA - MID)

44. Corey Lyons (VIC - MID)

45. Callum Brown (VIC - MID/FWD Collingwood F/S)

46. Matt Guelfi (WA - MID)

47. Jacob Allison (QLD - Bris Academy - MID/UTILITY)

-- Fourth level --

48. Ben Davis (NSW - FWD/MID)

49. Luke Bunker (VIC - MID)

50. Brandon Parfitt (WA - FWD/MID)

51. Ben Long (NT - MID/DEF)

52. Ben Jarman (SA - FWD)

53. Josh Daicos (VIC - FWD/MID Collingwood F/S)

54. Jack Waterman (WA - FWD)

55. Cameron Zurhaar (WA - FWD)

56. Steven Slimming (SA - DEF/MID)

57. Tyson Stengle (SA - FWD)

58. Lachlan Tiziani (NSW - FWD)

59. Luke Strnadica (SA - KPF)

60. Quinton Narkle (WA - FWD)

61. Reece Piper (VIC- DEF)

62. Esava Ratougolea (VIC - RUCK)

63. Oscar Junker (VIC - MID/DEF)

64. Patrick Lipinsky (VIC MID/FWD)

65. Kym LeBois (SA - FWD)

Last edited:
Would also like to say that over the last few years I have really enjoyed reading through and keeping up with the posts on BigFooty regarding the upcoming drafts, especially those from Knightmare, Chris25, Skippos, Bishop etc and their own personal draft rankings and phantoms. I took a lot of inspiration from them in creating this phantom.

I don't think your bids and picks are not quite working correctly. Clubs get a discount and don't need to match the bid directly. Also, I really think it is unlikely that clubs with academies will do much cross bidding, if any at all.

On Fremantle, that would be a disappointing pick imo, not addressing any specific need, and especially with players like Rotham and Marshal available and addressing weaknesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think your bids and picks are not quite working correctly. Clubs get a discount and don't need to match the bid directly. Also, I really think it is unlikely that clubs with academies will do much cross bidding, if any at all.

On Fremantle, that would be a disappointing pick imo, not addressing any specific need, and especially with players like Rotham and Marshal available and addressing weaknesses.
I disagree, we have been screaming for a lockdown small defender since the departure of Roger Hayden. McGrath also adds a lot of pace and skills to our team which we also need badly. I think he will probably do his apprenticeship as a small defender before moving in to the midfield

I disagree, we have been screaming for a lockdown small defender since the departure of Roger Hayden. McGrath also adds a lot of pace and skills to our team which we also need badly. I think he will probably do his apprenticeship as a small defender before moving in to the midfield
Lee Spurr is very good in that role IMO.

Scheer may not be bid on in the top 10 but I can't see him lasting to the second round. Otherwise good effort.
Thanks for the feedback. I did, admittedly, previously have Scheer higher up the pecking order but just recently moved a few of the academy picks down as they haven't been as impressive in the Div1 championships as I would like. No doubt though that his pressure around the contest and composure with ball in hand has still been impressive. He hasn't been as prolific as I would like but still damaging when he gets the footy.
I'm just not sure where clubs are going to bid for these players though and you just have to look at examples last year like Kennedy and Keays who were bid on later than was predicted.

Who the $%&* is Adam Hunter and why do you think Allison plays like him?
As mentioned Adam Hunter was a very solid swingman for WCE not long ago. I see Allison playing a similar role as he is strong overhead, can play forward or back and has a booming kick. Was always a big fan of Hunter and couldn't quite think of a modern day comparison off the top of my head. Who does he remind you of?

As mentioned Adam Hunter was a very solid swingman for WCE not long ago. I see Allison playing a similar role as he is strong overhead, can play forward or back and has a booming kick. Was always a big fan of Hunter and couldn't quite think of a modern day comparison off the top of my head. Who does he remind you of?
Elliott Yeo

Thanks for the feedback.
RE: The bids and picks, I have calculated the discounts and compensations accordingly, just haven't specifically outlined them in my phantom draft as I thought it would over complicate things too much.
For example for the bid on Perryman this would have cost 80% of pick 10's worth (1395 x 0.8 = 1116), they matched this using their own first pick which I had at pick 16 (1067 points). Pick 18 which they had from Geelong was then bumped down to pick 19 to make up for the difference (985 to 948 points), though this pick was later used to match the bid on Setterfield at pick 16 (costing them 80% of 1116 which was 854) by using pick 19 on this (948 points) they then had 94 points left over and were hence given a pick at #65 (90 points)
Let me know if you believe I'm doing this incorrectly as I may not be understanding it properly.

RE: Fremantle picking up McGrath, I think he adds a lot to Fremantle as firstly a dominant small defender and then can also develop into a strong contested midfielder that is also defensively minded in the future. I strongly considered Rotham for this pick as it would also remove any "go home" factor but I felt McGrath is head and shoulders above both Rotham and Marshall talent wise at this point. If Rotham and Marshall show good improvement and development in the second half of this year, they may be more strongly considered at this pick.

Not a bad comparison - I see him as being more capable to play a key position role than Yeo but not able to be as dominant in the midfield as Yeo has shown he can be.
He was quite dominant in a midfield role last season with players like Keays and Wagner he's had a rather poor championships this year though I do think he has the tank to play midfield though because he showed it last year

Thanks for the feedback.
RE: The bids and picks, I have calculated the discounts and compensations accordingly, just haven't specifically outlined them in my phantom draft as I thought it would over complicate things too much.
For example for the bid on Perryman this would have cost 80% of pick 10's worth (1395 x 0.8 = 1116), they matched this using their own first pick which I had at pick 16 (1067 points). Pick 18 which they had from Geelong was then bumped down to pick 19 to make up for the difference (985 to 948 points), though this pick was later used to match the bid on Setterfield at pick 16 (costing them 80% of 1116 which was 854) by using pick 19 on this (948 points) they then had 94 points left over and were hence given a pick at #65 (90 points)
Let me know if you believe I'm doing this incorrectly as I may not be understanding it properly.

RE: Fremantle picking up McGrath, I think he adds a lot to Fremantle as firstly a dominant small defender and then can also develop into a strong contested midfielder that is also defensively minded in the future. I strongly considered Rotham for this pick as it would also remove any "go home" factor but I felt McGrath is head and shoulders above both Rotham and Marshall talent wise at this point. If Rotham and Marshall show good improvement and development in the second half of this year, they may be more strongly considered at this pick.

All correct except for this part. Any first round bid that is matched with a single pick does not get another pick back but gets the 90 points banked to be used in future years or at the end of the draft if you have a deficit. Guess its to stop having a single first round pick turned into a player and another pick.

Would be pretty happy to land Ainsworth and Gallucci in the draft.
Good effort and great read.
Thanks for your comments.

Yeah Ainsworth and Gallucci would be a good outcome for the first 2 rounds, there are plenty of players around those picks I fancy as well.
It's going to be interesting to see if Carlton look to take their picks to the draft once more or target more young talent from GWS (eg. Steele/Marchbank/Tomlinson etc).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back