Phone call from Microsoft - This Week

Remove this Banner Ad

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Got a Phone Call from an Indian Bloke saying he was from Them.

He said there was a Big Virus thing that was going been put out this week that put Hacking stuff on your Computer and Will Delete everything. Then he asks you to check Event Screen and Ask to See Errors and then ask you to go on the Net to try Microsoft Defender. Then I hung up as I thought this is a Con or Scam.

Just warning people that this could happen

LukasTheGreat

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Thanks for the Article.

I did hang up after he said to hook up the net to the Computer that not been on the Internet for a year or more

I'm glad you were wise to it. This has been a very successful scam and catches alot of people.

simba_

WHITE NOISE
Jun 2, 2009
50XX
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Utah Jazz, mew2king
lol I remember hearing about this years ago as some classic scam that apparently got people. I can imagine Americans getting *ed over by this kind of stuff. In reality you don't even need their updates and their anti-viruses, if you're not an idiot you wont download anything stupid and wont get any problems. Getting a computer virus if you know how to use a computer is as likely as being hit by a car using a pedestrian crossing.

SugarShane

C12 H22 O11
Sep 9, 2007
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strikers, BMS Goats
Has been going for years. I work in a computer shop and we get people ringing and asking us if it's legit all the time. Quite a few still get stung on it too. A select few even argue with us when we tell them it's a scam.

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL they also called me and I told them I had a Mac. They instantly hung up.

That is the 1st thing I told them when they Asked to go my Windows Machine. I said I was using our Mac but they kept on trying to get me on my Windows Machine that has not been on the net for a Few Years

mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
called me a few times but never get far as i work in IT feel for the oldies who come into the shop after getting sucked in

MisterB

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2008
Melboune
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been going on for years. I string them along for as long as I can knowing full well that it is a scam. While they are trying in vain to pull my puppet strings, they are not bothering the less well informed. Well at least one of them is. Got to find a way I can engage multiple of them at one time. Longest I have been able to string them out is 52 mins. It ended in tears. Not mine though.

Rack Watts

Here's MASON
May 24, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
CLEVELAND BROWNS
They ring up and say "I am from Windows".
I love to troll them, "Yeah nah mate, I don't have a computer or the interweb".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Engimal

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had them going on the phone for 10 minutes once and in the end he told me he would going to rape my daughter.

Wickzki

Definitely Sam MacLure.
Oct 1, 2010
Not the media
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidians Old Boys, Blazers, MCFC
My partner's mother got stung for this... Stupid thing is it was less than a week after I told her NOT to deal with people doing this.

X_box_X

The Opportunist
Mar 15, 2001
DogLands
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
I wasn't sure where else to post this but I thought I'd share...

I received a phone call from a Sydney landline (02). There was an Indian male on the other end of the phone who referred to me by my Christian name. He mentioned he was from hotmail security. He then said, "you have an email account with us...." and then he provided the name of the email account. Usually I'd have hung up by now but given he knew my name and had a correct email account linked to me, I started to consider whether it was a legit phone call.

Anyway, after I answered, "I did have an email account in that name but I don't use it anymore" the Indian bloke disconnected the phone call.

I tried calling the number back and it failed to establish a connection. I googled the phone number but it wasn't linked to a known scam.

Just wondering if others have had a similar phone call, and whether I should be worried about anything?

I'm guessing somehow they have accessed my data linked to another website given they are in possession of my phone number, name and old email account...

Wickzki

Definitely Sam MacLure.
Oct 1, 2010
Not the media
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I wasn't sure where else to post this but I thought I'd share...

I received a phone call from a Sydney landline (02). There was an Indian male on the other end of the phone who referred to me by my Christian name. He mentioned he was from hotmail security. He then said, "you have an email account with us...." and then he provided the name of the email account. Usually I'd have hung up by now but given he knew my name and had a correct email account linked to me, I started to consider whether it was a legit phone call.

Anyway, after I answered, "I did have an email account in that name but I don't use it anymore" the Indian bloke disconnected the phone call.

I tried calling the number back and it failed to establish a connection. I googled the phone number but it wasn't linked to a known scam.

Just wondering if others have had a similar phone call, and whether I should be worried about anything?

I'm guessing somehow they have accessed my data linked to another website given they are in possession of my phone number, name and old email account...

Have you checked this site?

Another question: ever bought a domain? name?

X_box_X

The Opportunist
Mar 15, 2001
DogLands
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Have you checked this site?

Another question: ever bought a domain? name?
Interesting. Never used that but it confirmed that old email account has two breaches. Thanks :thumbsu:

The name of the email account was in the name of a business I used to own, so perhaps relevant to the question you are asking?

Wickzki

Definitely Sam MacLure.
Oct 1, 2010
Not the media
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Interesting. Never used that but it confirmed that old email account has two breaches. Thanks :thumbsu:

The name of the email account was in the name of a business I used to own, so perhaps relevant to the question you are asking?

It'll be the breach that likely has done it.

Remove this Banner Ad