Phone call from Microsoft - This Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a Phone Call from an Indian Bloke saying he was from Them.

He said there was a Big Virus thing that was going been put out this week that put Hacking stuff on your Computer and Will Delete everything. Then he asks you to check Event Screen and Ask to See Errors and then ask you to go on the Net to try Microsoft Defender. Then I hung up as I thought this is a Con or Scam.

Just warning people that this could happen

I'm glad you were wise to it. This has been a very successful scam and catches alot of people.

I 1st thought was WTF? but I said see what he was doing and soon as he wanted to check my Internet. I knew something funny was happening when he said hook up the net

lol I remember hearing about this years ago as some classic scam that apparently got people. I can imagine Americans getting ****ed over by this kind of stuff. In reality you don't even need their updates and their anti-viruses, if you're not an idiot you wont download anything stupid and wont get any problems. Getting a computer virus if you know how to use a computer is as likely as being hit by a car using a pedestrian crossing.

LOL they also called me and I told them I had a Mac. They instantly hung up.

That is the 1st thing I told them when they Asked to go my Windows Machine. I said I was using our Mac but they kept on trying to get me on my Windows Machine that has not been on the net for a Few Years

called me a few times but never get far as i work in IT feel for the oldies who come into the shop after getting sucked in

Been going on for years. I string them along for as long as I can knowing full well that it is a scam. While they are trying in vain to pull my puppet strings, they are not bothering the less well informed. Well at least one of them is. Got to find a way I can engage multiple of them at one time. Longest I have been able to string them out is 52 mins. It ended in tears. Not mine though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had them going on the phone for 10 minutes once and in the end he told me he would going to rape my daughter.

My partner's mother got stung for this... Stupid thing is it was less than a week after I told her NOT to deal with people doing this.

I wasn't sure where else to post this but I thought I'd share...

I received a phone call from a Sydney landline (02). There was an Indian male on the other end of the phone who referred to me by my Christian name. He mentioned he was from hotmail security. He then said, "you have an email account with us...." and then he provided the name of the email account. Usually I'd have hung up by now but given he knew my name and had a correct email account linked to me, I started to consider whether it was a legit phone call.

Anyway, after I answered, "I did have an email account in that name but I don't use it anymore" the Indian bloke disconnected the phone call.

I tried calling the number back and it failed to establish a connection. I googled the phone number but it wasn't linked to a known scam.

Just wondering if others have had a similar phone call, and whether I should be worried about anything?

I'm guessing somehow they have accessed my data linked to another website given they are in possession of my phone number, name and old email account...

I wasn't sure where else to post this but I thought I'd share...

I received a phone call from a Sydney landline (02). There was an Indian male on the other end of the phone who referred to me by my Christian name. He mentioned he was from hotmail security. He then said, "you have an email account with us...." and then he provided the name of the email account. Usually I'd have hung up by now but given he knew my name and had a correct email account linked to me, I started to consider whether it was a legit phone call.

Anyway, after I answered, "I did have an email account in that name but I don't use it anymore" the Indian bloke disconnected the phone call.

I tried calling the number back and it failed to establish a connection. I googled the phone number but it wasn't linked to a known scam.

Just wondering if others have had a similar phone call, and whether I should be worried about anything?

I'm guessing somehow they have accessed my data linked to another website given they are in possession of my phone number, name and old email account...

Have you checked this site?

Another question: ever bought a domain? name?

Have you checked this site?

Another question: ever bought a domain? name?
Interesting. Never used that but it confirmed that old email account has two breaches. Thanks :thumbsu:

The name of the email account was in the name of a business I used to own, so perhaps relevant to the question you are asking?

Interesting. Never used that but it confirmed that old email account has two breaches. Thanks :thumbsu:

The name of the email account was in the name of a business I used to own, so perhaps relevant to the question you are asking?

It'll be the breach that likely has done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back