15994712_10208151541849471_3312405124892696016_o.jpg
15994533_10208151541489462_7645778315122812813_o.jpg

15977602_10208151542489487_6130474632556470421_n.jpg

15936868_10208151543289507_6705706705986540257_o.jpg

15972381_10208151542809495_7874029773511430322_o.jpg

16113229_10208151543049501_6064943769778347584_o.jpg

IMG_2034.JPG

Last edited:
I found a few pics from the Kimberly when there over a decade ago.

These are at Windjana Gorge towards the end of the dry season. During the wet season more water flows through this gorge than flows through The Amazon. At this time of year however it was a few water holes with a few freshwater crocs, the photos were taken standing on the riverbed. Seeing basic primitive cave painting impacted me way more than I ever thought it would, and the feeling gave me a tiny hint of why our Indigenous folk are so attached to their land. It's living, ancient history, and it's their history.

upload_2017-2-10_14-49-41.png

upload_2017-2-10_14-50-7.png

upload_2017-2-10_14-51-24.png

upload_2017-2-10_14-50-36.png

So I think I've decided I'm going to buy a DSLR, given I plan to go to both New Zealand and South America in the next year.

Problem is, I know naff all about cameras.

Someone in the know, please give some recommendations. Best value for money is a high consideration.

So I think I've decided I'm going to buy a DSLR, given I plan to go to both New Zealand and South America in the next year.

Someone in the know, please give some recommendations. Best value for money is a high consideration.
And don't PM Doss either. Those pics above Doss' post were taken with a 3 year old camera in 2006. That is still my current camera.

I think I'm due for an upgrade but have absolute zero Kelvin's idea of where to start

Doss this depends on three things: 1. how much money you want to spend, 2. what type of photographs you take and want to take, and 3. what you want to do with your images.

Doss this depends on three things: 1. how much money you want to spend, 2. what type of photographs you take and want to take, and 3. what you want to do with your images.

1. Actually not even sure - maybe ~$700-800. Don't fancy breaking the bank.
2. Nature and landscapes. Particularly landscapes (mountains, beach, etc). Much more into that than urban photography
3. Mostly just for myself. Might get the odd one blown up and framed, maybe

1. Actually not even sure - maybe ~$700-800. Don't fancy breaking the bank.
2. Nature and landscapes. Particularly landscapes (mountains, beach, etc). Much more into that than urban photography
3. Mostly just for myself. Might get the odd one blown up and framed, maybe
I like nikons but some people prefer canons. I personally wouldn't step outside these two for what you want.

For around $600 (if you shop around) you can get a d5300 with an 18-55mm lens, which will do most of what you want. The d5300 is a decent step up from the entry level d3300. For a little extra you could get a zoom thrown in like a 70-300mm (so you can, at a stretch, photograph critters) or buy a decent tripod and wireless remote shutter release, which you will probably need if you ever want to blow up your shots. The other option is to get a decent second hand d7200, a further step up. With these cameras in some ways it's the lenses that are just as important as you will change bodies from time to time. In fact, I am considering replacing my d90 body with a d7200 as the d90 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I have totally loved the d90.

dpreview.com is my go to site for comparing cameras but I can, and do, get lost in there for hours.

Last edited:
tesla1962 so are most/all of the shots you post in here with the d90?
Yeah pretty much. Some old shots like the osprey with the fish were on a d80 before it got drowned and some really old shots I took with a Lumix I bought in San Francisco (for about half the price it cost in Aust at the time) in 2004. That was my first digital camera and a move away from slide film. That camera had a gorgeous Leica lens.

Last edited:
I like nikons but some people prefer canons. I personally wouldn't step outside these two for what you want.

For around $600 (if you shop around) you can get a d5300 with an 18-55mm lens, which will do most of what you want. The d5300 is a decent step up from the entry level d3300. For a little extra you could get a zoom thrown in like a 70-300mm (so you can, at a stretch, photograph critters) or buy a decent tripod and wireless remote shutter release, which you will probably need if you ever want to blow up your shots. The other option is to get a decent second hand d7200, a further step up. With these cameras in some ways it's the lenses that are important as you will change bodies from time to time. In fact, I am considering replacing my d90 body with a d7200 as the d90 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I have totally loved the d90.

dpreview.com is my go to site for comparing cameras but I can, and do, get lost in there for hours.
Shots with the kids, some action shots and some not, and landscape shots would be my primary usages. Do you recommend the same for those?

Shots with the kids, some action shots and some not, and landscape shots would be my primary usages. Do you recommend the same for those?
Maybe not, sports and action is not something I know a lot about except that long lenses that are fast cost big bucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I particularly love tesla1962's shot of the alpine tarn above.

Something about the blue against the alpine tundra that looks amazing. Also love the snow persisting into summer - always a great sight.

I particularly love tesla1962's shot of the alpine tarn above.

Something about the blue against the alpine tundra that looks amazing. Also love the snow persisting into summer - always a great sight.
I see from the travel thread you are off to Torres del Paine soon (think nat geo has it in its top 10 most beautiful places). Kinda jealous. From all I hear and see it's amazing. I head off to the states in two weeks time - some work but mainly holidays. I will spend some time in the eastern sierras, which will still have a fair bit of snow. It's not Torres del Paine but pretty nice from what I hear.

I see from the travel thread you are off to Torres del Paine soon (think nat geo has it in its top 10 most beautiful places). Kinda jealous. From all I hear and see it's amazing. I head off to the states in two weeks time - some work but mainly holidays. I will spend some time in the eastern sierras, which will still have a fair bit of snow. It's not Torres del Paine but pretty nice from what I hear.
I suspect we have a severe dose of 'mountain love' in common, my friend.

Yes, off to South America at the end of the year but in the more near future, this time in five weeks I will be in New Zealand, namely Wanaka, Te Anau and Queenstown.

The Rockies/Sierras/Cascades are definitely on my to do list.

I look forward to living vicariously through your images here!

I knew San Fran had hills, but shiiiiiit.

Also - we bought a Canon EOS 1300D, 18-55mm lens. Just in time for New Zealand. :)
Perfect! You will have a ball with it in NZ.

It seems like my beloved D90 is soon to go into forced early retirement. Yesterday in Yosemite one of my GF's girls was swinging on a shelf and it toppled on top of her. She is ok thankfully but my camera didn't fare so well. The lens won't come off (fortunately it's my 18-200, so it's versatile), the autofocus is ****ed and although the the manual focus seems ok most of the time, it plays up a bit. I'm in the eastern sierras now and hoping to nurse the camera through so I can at least get some shots.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back