Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Anyway, photo time - be blunt

View attachment 1023641 Himeji Castle, Japan, Jan 2020. Effects mode with the fade at the edge of the frame

View attachment 1023643
Walking 6th Avenue, Manhatten, Sept 2019. My back wouldn't allow me to bend anymore to eliminate the traffic light support. Hoping to learn a trick or 2 to be able to delete it.

View attachment 1023644

View attachment 1023646

Last 2 - Kalbarri July 2018; 2nd one has the effects setting, love how it's been framed
Blunt comments incoming.

Firstly composition on all shots looks great.

Secondly I'm not a fan of the effects - I prefer a more natural look.

The first shot looks a little soft but it's very hard to tell if it's just because I'm looking at a small image - perhaps the effect softens the image.

The Manhattan shot - if you really want to remove the traffic light support it's pretty easily done in post processing. Personally I'd leave it there as I think it adds to the urban feel.

Re getting a DSLR - tips I'd suggest are learn to shoot in Manual - auto modes can be very nice but camera smarts can be fooled by tricky lighting and other things. M allows for more creativity with exposure, depth of field, motion blur and sharpness etc.

Post production (I mainly use lightroom) really helps with getting your images to pop - I also suggest shooting in RAW as you can do a lot more in post production than if you have shot in jpg (a compressed) format.

Post production (I mainly use lightroom) really helps with getting your images to pop - I also suggest shooting in RAW as you can do a lot more in post production than if you have shot in jpg (a compressed) format.

Always...always....shoot RAW.
Can't expect to get the best out of your pics, shooting jpegs

_MG_0095.jpg

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Blunt comments incoming.

Firstly composition on all shots looks great.

Secondly I'm not a fan of the effects - I prefer a more natural look.

The first shot looks a little soft but it's very hard to tell if it's just because I'm looking at a small image - perhaps the effect softens the image.

The Manhattan shot - if you really want to remove the traffic light support it's pretty easily done in post processing. Personally I'd leave it there as I think it adds to the urban feel.

Re getting a DSLR - tips I'd suggest are learn to shoot in Manual - auto modes can be very nice but camera smarts can be fooled by tricky lighting and other things. M allows for more creativity with exposure, depth of field, motion blur and sharpness etc.

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated. Definitely going to shoot in manual, purpose of why I've signed up for the course course I'm doing. Shooting in RAW rather than Jpeg, another Shane Sheridan idiocy factor, no idea how I would go about changing that setting. Probably should have had a read through the manual.

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated. Definitely going to shoot in manual, purpose of why I've signed up for the course course I'm doing. Shooting in RAW rather than Jpeg, another Shane Sheridan idiocy factor, no idea how I would go about changing that setting. Probably should have had a read through the manual.

Just go into the menu on whatever camera you have. It shouldn't be hard.

You really should also check that all the settings are as you want them to be.
Best served spending a day educating yourself here and your work will be so much better for it.
Youtube is your friend....Download a manual....speak to someone. Many ways to go about it.

Then spend weeks learning Lightroom.
This guy has a good channel, or just Adobe itself - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkHNVO_aPDSqjfIG_XHlYIg

TIP - Learn how to import your images properly, first. Spend time on this as it will save you a lot of heartache thereafter

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's tricky photographing snow as the camera wants to read snow as grey .
The composition is superb.
You got any tips? I haven't spent too much time around snow, especially photographing, but I'll be here all winter. Is it just a case of playing around with the editing or are there some settings I should be looking at while taking the photo also?

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
You got any tips? I haven't spent too much time around snow, especially photographing, but I'll be here all winter. Is it just a case of playing around with the editing or are there some settings I should be looking at while taking the photo also?
I'm just getting back into it but if you overexpose a little ,the snow will be whiter and not grey or blue.
Your whites look fine with the available light.

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
Hi guys

Just getting into photography, buying a camera a couple of months ago

current setup= nikon d5600, 18-55mm, 55-300mm 4.5-5.6 and a 35mm 1.8f

I am looking to get a macro lens as thats the stuff i really enjoy shooting. i have been cheating a bit with the telephoto lens but would like a specific macro lens. Any advice on what i should be getting? brands? focal length? cheers in advance

a couple of pics for your trouble

DSC_0438_Fotor.jpg
DSC_0350_Fotor.jpg

Shop Landscape Photography Prints - TOM PUTT

Met this bloke down Sorrento yesterday. Amazing pics (and good guy too).

I think they're missing out on some $$$. Like I get it, its in a "rich" part of town- but not everyone can blow 3K on a photo. Just have some copies A4ish size for a more reasonable price, i definitely would have bought one of those.

It's the tree that's from the film. That tree is dark and evil and makes funny sounds.

Hey- I may be skeptical but.. strange things happen for sure.

One episode of Naked and afraid* the trees at night were making some weird af sounds and the woman started screaming thought she saw a "face"... it was in some area known for its voodoo.

*yes i know its a reality show and who knows what they could be doing behind the cameras.

Gunamatta Beach on the Mornington Peninsula last Saturday. Unfortunately I was a day early for the incredible sunset that happened. Great spot none the less!
View attachment 1041053

I almost got a bit teary, going for an early morning walk down the beach when I was down there over NYs- hardly anyone around. Was just too perfect. Best place to be.

Back