Research Photos - anyone got a clue

Remove this Banner Ad

? You can see the TAB reflection in the background from my pic.

Not having a crack at you mate.

Check out some of the scaling and shading in the back row of that picture.

Thanks for that, the photo was owned by my grandfather who was in it and was on the wall of his office in all the pubs he owned across Melbourne and country Victoria, he passed away in the 1970's, my father passed it on to me but had no idea where and when it was taken, i tracked down its location to a pub in Hobart ( kingston Beach) that was demolished many years ago.

We all assumed it was a pub in Melbourne at a CFC function

http://www.brhg.org.au/brhg/Then_&_Now.html

Australasian%20Hotel%20c%201920_1.jpg

If google did not exist i doubt whether we would have found out where it was taken
Australasian Hotel at Kingston Beach, south of Hobart.
Built in the 1880s and was pulled down circa 1962/63 to make way for the current (and very ugly) Salty Dog (known for decades as the Beach Hotel) right opposite Kingston Beach.
The old Kingston Beach Oval, former home of current Tasmanian State League club, Tigers FC (Kingborough Tigers, formerly known as Kingston) was/is directly behind it.
They left the Kingston Beach Oval at the end of 2010 to move to Kingborough Twin Ovals at Huntingfield, the old ground still gets used for junior footy and club cricket.
On a side note, I've got cutlery from the old Australasian Hotel around here somewhere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back