Tutorial Photoshop Tutorial

Remove this Banner Ad

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have made a tutorial on how to create a football gurnsey in Abode Photoshop CS2.
You will have to download the .psd from the following link because this is the one I used in my tutorial
Download Link
I didn't make this and I cant remember who made this, so if someone can tell me I will give them credit for it. :)

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]This is what you will start with when you open up the .psd you just downloaded
s-shotofphotshop.jpg

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now look for this
layerstoolbar.jpg
and open up the socks group.

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I do not use the first two layers in the socks group so just ignore those.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Move on to the third layer named “Top right sock” and double click on the dark circle to the right of the layer name.
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now there should be a new window like this
layerstyle.jpg

6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Go down to the “Color Overlay” tab on the right and make sure the small box is ticked and select the tab.
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now the window should look something like this
layerstylecoloroverlay.jpg

8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Go and click the red rectangle and “Color picker” should pop up now select the color you want the top of the right sock to be and click OK. I am going to make mine blue.
9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now repeat this for the layer named “Bottom right sock”
10.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]As you keep looking down the layers in the sock group see layers named “</Layer group>” and “Left Sock shading”. I do not use these layers either so I ignore them.
11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Repeat steps 4-8 for the layers named “Top left sock” and “Bottom left sock”. I am going to make my socks solid blue
aftersocks.jpg

12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now there will be a text layer called “BACK” and two groups under it called “Shirt back” and “Shorts Back” open up the group named “Shirt back”
13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Select the layer “Left Arm Cuff” and double click on the dark circle, just as you did for the socks.
14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The “Layer Style” window will pop up again and go down to the “Color Overlay” tab again.
15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The rectangle will be white this time. Go click on it and select the color you want the left cuff to be. I am going to make mine red.
16.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Repeat these step for the layer under it called “Left Arm Cuff”
17.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ignore the next layer and go on to the layer named “Collar”
18.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Repeat steps 13-15 for the collar. You can make it the same color as your arm cuffs or a different color. I am making mine white
aftercuffs.jpg

19.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ignore the next five layers and select the layer named “Base”
20.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Double click the dark circle, select “Color Overlay” and click on the white rectangle and select the base color you want your jumper to be. I am making mine the same blue as my socks
afterbase.jpg

21.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Open up the group that is called “Shorts Back” and ignore the first two layers, you do not need to change these.
22.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Select the “Base” layer in this group and repeat step 20 on this layer. You can choose to color the shorts for a home strip or leave them white for an away strip. I am making mine the same blue as my jumper and socks
aftershortsback.jpg

23.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now there will be another text layer called “FRONT” and two groups under it called “Shirt front” and “Shorts front” open the group “Shirt front”
24.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]This will look similar to the “Shirt back” group from earlier.
25.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Repeat steps 13-15 for the layers named “Left Arm Cuff” and “Right Arm Cuff” and “Collar”. I am making my cuffs red and collar white after collar
aftercollar.jpg

26.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Once again ignore the next five layers and go on to the layer named “Base”
27.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Repeat step 20 for this layer. I am making mine blue
afterbasefront.jpg

28.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now go on to the group named “Shorts front” and ignore the first three layers.
29.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Select the layer named “Base” and repeat step 22. I am making mine blue
aftershortsfront.jpg

Now your finished the layer editing and I am assuming if you are reading this you know enough about Photoshop to add details like sponsors, numbers and sashes/stripes/hoops to go on and do that on your own but if you are beginner feel free to ask questions and myself or someone here will try to respond ASAP
Thanks
Also I think this should be stickied

Heres the apparel sponsor templatates
Credit for actual template goes to InCase, credit for collar designs goes to LeeARM and credit for putting the template and collar together goes to GANTY

TEMPLATE DOWNOAD LINKS NOW IN POST NUMBER 210 ON PAGE 9 OF THIS THREAD

Now I will go on to adding details like hoops/stripes/yokes, sponsors and numbers.
30.Go back to the group named “Shirt Front” and select the layer named “Base” again, but DO NOT edit it. Now click the little picture of the pages at the bottom of the layer window. In CS2 it is the second from the right. Now you have new layer to work with and re-name it “Red Hoop” and make sure you have it selected before starting the next step
aftercreatenewlayerforredhoop.jpg

::NOTE:: Make sure you have red selected as the colour you are working with. If you don’t, select the “Eyedropper Tool from the toolbar on the left and click on one of the red cuffs.
31.Select the “Rectangle Tool”, on CS2 it is the button below the capital T. Now create a horizontal stripe which will be the front of our hoop. Make sure you leave some overhang on the outside of the jumper. I will explain what this is for later.
afterredhoop.jpg

32.Now I want my second hoop to be exactly the same size as my first hoop. To do this, right-click the “Red Hoop” layer in the Layers Panel and go select “Duplicate Layer…” Next a window will come up asking you what you want to name your new layer, so name it “White Hoop” and where you want to duplicate it to but don’t touch that. Next select the layer named “White Hoop” and repeat step 20 but this time make it white. Now select the Move Tool and move the white hoop straight down under the red hoop. To do this hold Shift and drag the white hoop directly down.
afterwhitehoop.jpg

This is Footscray’s 1952-1970 jumper design with a few changes for the tutorial. So I will be using the Western Bulldogs 2010 sponsors, Mission Foods. Kooga is the apparel sponsor but I didn’t have a Kooga template when I started this tutorial.
33.Here are the Mission and AFL logos I will be using on the front. Download them and open them up in Photoshop.
34.Now copy the Mission logo by clicking on the dotted line box in the top left corner of the toolbar, mak a box that selects the whole logo and press Ctrl+C and paste it on to the jumper. Re-name the logo layer “Mission Logo” and put the layer above the “White Hoop” layer.
35.Move the Mission logo around and put it in the typical sponsor position.
36.Repeat steps 34 and 35 for the AFL logo.
afterfrontlogos.jpg

37.Now hide all the layers that you just made and the “Shirt bottom lines” layer by clicking the little eye to the left of the layer in the Layer Panel. Now select the “Magic Wand Tool” from the toolbar. It is in the second row in the right column and click on the front of the jumper. You should now have dotted lines around the outside of the blue. Right-click and select the option “Select Inverse” from the menu. Now Unhide all the layers you just hid and select “White Hoop” and press delete then select “Red Hoop” and press delete.
aftermagicwandfront.jpg

38.Now duplicate the “White Hoop” and “Red Hoop” layers and drag the duplicates up to the “Shirt back” group and position these layers above the “Base” layer.
39.Make sure you have the “Red Hoop copy” layer selected and hold Shift and drag to the back of the jumper. To position it perfectly use the right and left arrow keys to nudge it left and right.
40.Here is the Mission logo for the back.
41.Repeat steps 34 and 35 but do it on the back of the jumper.
42.Now we will put numbers on our jumper. Firstly go to the Guernsey Designers Number List and look at the first post then pick out a number that hasn’t been taken.
43.Now here are the numbers that are most similar to the font the AFL uses.
jumper_numbers.png

Right click and Save As to use them in Photoshop.
44.Now open in Photoshop and use the magic wand to select the number(s) you are using and right click and copy. Make sure you have the “Mission Logo” on the back selected then go back to the kit you are creating and paste. Rename the layers whatever number it is for example I would normally rename mine “1”
45.If you have picked a two digit number go back and repeat step 44 for your second number. My number is 1 so I do not have to do it a second time.
46.When you have got the numbers on to the kit you have to position them.
afterjumpernumber.jpg

47.If you want an outline around the number double click on the jumper number layer and select the Stroke tab from the menu on the left and make the size 3 px. Then pick the colour you want to make the outline. Im not putting an outline on this jumper because it is not needed.
48.Now on to the front of the shorts. Open up the Mission and AFL logos that you were using earlier and repeat steps 34 and 35 put the layers in the “Shorts front” group and place the layers above the Base layer. Also when actually positioning the logos on the shorts the Mission and AFL logos go on opposite sides to what they did on the actual jumper.
aftershotslogos.jpg

Feel free to ask questions and I or someone here will try to respond ASAP
Thanks

Here's a fairly quick and simple way to make them on photoshop that I essentially use.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PS054TZT
The picture's fairly big so I'll just post a link.

It's for this template which is a edited version of Mero's Reebok jumpers on footyjumpers.com.
Blank2-1.png

The template could also be used for paint but my tutorial is using Photoshop.

It's a very good tutorial but you've actually stopped at my main problem. What's your method of putting sashes/stripes/hoops on the jumper? Because mine ends with the design going out of the template then i have to erase around the outline.

Right click on the base layer.
Duplicate.
Click the eye next to the layer to hide.
Save your template for later use with the new hidden layer.

Create your style (sash, stripes, etc)

Right click the hidden layers thumbnail, click select pixels.
In your toolbar go to select, then inverse.
In your layer pallete select the layer(s) with your style on it, and press delete (backspace for mac)

Duplicate.

In your layer pallete select the layer(s) with your style on it, and press delete (backspace for mac)
Thank you very much.

Duplicate.

I do it a bit differently but if your way works...each to their own I guess:)

Actually, you can ignore the hidden layer steps, I do that if I need to rasterize a shape, you can just select pixels on the base layer.

what's your way?
1. I create the hoops/stripes on a new layer each time.
2. Once it's set out to my likeing I hide all of them and select the Base layer.
3. Then I use the tool that just selects only colour on 15-20 tolerance and use it to select the base so there is a little dotted outline now.
4. Then I right click and choose Sect Inverse.
5. Then I un hide all the layers I just hid and select them in the Layer Window one by one and press delete each time I select one.

Well done there GANTY, a simple but useful tutorial for Photoshop newbies.

I don't have it, or any other vector-editing program, and i don't know any of the lingo, but I still could understand the concepts (for pure interest's sake). Thanks.

Also I think this should be stickied

Agreed. Along with other tutorials, the current KOTW and AGOTW threads and the KOTW/AGOTW winners "roll of honour". This board needs a bit of a clean-up - our "moderator" Appleyard hasn't posted since 2007. Maybe time for our own mod?

Agreed. Along with other tutorials, the current KOTW and AGOTW threads and the KOTW/AGOTW winners "roll of honour".
On that note, the "rolls of honour" have been a bit stagnant for the last couple of months. I myself would be happy to devote some time to create a bit of a graphical tribute to our leading designers.

Everyone happy with that? InCase? Cory?

Well done there GANTY, a simple but useful tutorial for Photoshop newbies.

I don't have it, or any other vector-editing program, and i don't know any of the lingo, but I still could understand the concepts (for pure interest's sake). Thanks.

Smeagle, how do you make your designs look so professional without photoshop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a quick mock-up of how my KOTW "roll of honour" would look. Comments??
ezfomp.png

Its ok i guess.

You have Photoshop, yeah? How about making it a little simpler with less boxes and colours. Show off your skills! Like how InCase started them a while ago.

And I would PM him and cory, just to make sure they're OK with it. I know for a fact that InCase has been busy and was going to eventually get around to it...

Its ok i guess.

You have Photoshop, yeah? How about making it a little simpler with less boxes and colours. Show off your skills! Like how InCase started them a while ago.

And I would PM him and cory, just to make sure they're OK with it. I know for a fact that InCase has been busy and was going to eventually get around to it...
Haha, I'm a Paint man through and through.

I guess I did go a tad overboard with all the colours :D

I PM'd InCase and he's fine with it. (I'd be a bit annoyed if he wasn't, took me an hour)

I'll have to speak to Cory before I get on to making his.

By the way, I made them using Autoshapes in Powerpoint.

;)

Well, how 'bout it?

And BTW, I don't know about anyone else, but I can't view the bottom of the some of the images, just the top parts. What imagehoster are you using?

(I was going to post it on the thread itself, but I feel it should be kept clean and reply-less. Sorry for hijacking this thread, GANTY :eek: )

;)

Well, how 'bout it?

And BTW, I don't know about anyone else, but I can't view the bottom of the some of the images, just the top parts. What imagehoster are you using?

(I was going to post it on the thread itself, but I feel it should be kept clean and reply-less. Sorry for hijacking this thread, GANTY :eek: )
I see them fine and yes, this thread it messy now. Needs moderating.

Tutorial Photoshop Tutorial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back