Phuket

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah my ate from work scored a root in the water and had a cut on his foot, very infected the rest of the trip. No way would i take a root in their rather do it in the middle of a circle of people cheering lol

Yer will be booking within a fortnight, organisational skills are minimal on my behalf so hopefully my mates get motivated.

As a word of advice though, don't catch a water taxi during the party. They always overload them and there have been numerous cases of tourists drowning because the boats sink. Just book accommodation in advance and you'll be fine.

As a word of advice though, don't catch a water taxi during the party. They always overload them and there have been numerous cases of tourists drowning because the boats sink. Just book accommodation in advance and you'll be fine.

Ha I can vouch for that, our boat was very close to taking on water, was dodgy as ****. With the 30minute ride you would screwed if it happened mid trip. We almost collided with another boat too.

Heading there in late Feb, our last couple of nights we want to stay at a real nice 5-star luxury resort obviously near by so the drive to the airport isn't far away.

Any suggestions?

In Patong ? Or do you want to be away from the action?
Roughly 40 minutes from airport to Patong.

Heading there in late Feb, our last couple of nights we want to stay at a real nice 5-star luxury resort obviously near by so the drive to the airport isn't far away.

Any suggestions?

Mate, depends how 5 star you want. This place is awesome but its awesomely expensive too (by most peoples standards) - deals start at about $550 AUD a night (rack rates are $1500 a night) ...

Its near the airport, a long way from Patong...

http://phuket.anantara.com/

Another nice place near the airport is dewa phuket

http://www.dewaphuket.com/

If you stay at Dewa, stay in a pool villa room. Unfortunately for you room rates are high season rates until 28 February and then drop about 50% on 1 March ... about $250 a night from 1 March...

In the pool villa, dewa is a unique, nice relaxing couples type getaway ... your own pool that almost feels like part of the room... the beach at Dewa is not the nicest in Phuket but its fine and there is a thai village in walking distance with some beach bars and some local food and stuff - the resort has a restaurant and there are private taxis outside that you can book for a full day (to drive you around and wait for you) for about $50 a day ..

Hope that helps...

In Patong ? Or do you want to be away from the action?
Roughly 40 minutes from airport to Patong.

Yeah I was thinking anywhere within an hour to the airport.

Mate, depends how 5 star you want. This place is awesome but its awesomely expensive too (by most peoples standards) - deals start at about $550 AUD a night (rack rates are $1500 a night) ...

Its near the airport, a long way from Patong...

http://phuket.anantara.com/

Another nice place near the airport is dewa phuket

http://www.dewaphuket.com/

If you stay at Dewa, stay in a pool villa room. Unfortunately for you room rates are high season rates until 28 February and then drop about 50% on 1 March ... about $250 a night from 1 March...

In the pool villa, dewa is a unique, nice relaxing couples type getaway ... your own pool that almost feels like part of the room... the beach at Dewa is not the nicest in Phuket but its fine and there is a thai village in walking distance with some beach bars and some local food and stuff - the resort has a restaurant and there are private taxis outside that you can book for a full day (to drive you around and wait for you) for about $50 a day ..

Hope that helps...

They're the kinds of places I we were thinking of. We're going from 22 Feb - 6 of March so we may get lucky with a place for the last few days rates go down from March 1.

Thanks for the two suggestions, definitely will look into it.

Yeah I was thinking anywhere within an hour to the airport.

They're the kinds of places I we were thinking of. We're going from 22 Feb - 6 of March so we may get lucky with a place for the last few days rates go down from March 1.

Thanks for the two suggestions, definitely will look into it.

I would second Nai Yang beach (where Dewa is situated).

I stayed at place called Indigo Pearl....it aint as small/boutique as Dewa but we had a ball. Would recommend hitting up the beach restaurants too!

http://www.indigo-pearl.com/

I would second Nai Yang beach (where Dewa is situated).

I stayed at place called Indigo Pearl....it aint as small/boutique as Dewa but we had a ball. Would recommend hitting up the beach restaurants too!

http://www.indigo-pearl.com/

Sweet getting excited, will definitely be seeking out beach restaurants.. the perfect location to eat and drink.

I just booked this joint for my honeymoon in March.

http://www.malisavillas.com/

Also had a look at trip advisor and everybody seems to give it a wrap.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...-Reviews-Malisa_Villa_Suites-Kata_Phuket.html

These places look amazing.

Saving these places recommended so I can show the others. Thank you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pattaya is the better destination. Haha.

Going to bump instead of a new thread but can people tell me a bit about this place? I went to Patong Beach last year so I kind of know what to expect when it comes to Thailand/beach side resorts etc. After a bit of reading it seems like Pattaya is more of a place driven by the sex industry rather than partying/night life, but I've also read that Pattaya shits all over Patong as a destination in all aspects.

Go see a real Thai kick-boxing match (Not the overpriced & staged stuff) There are some great fighters to watch only if you're into that?

Koh Samui

"Tonight... LIVE... Thai Kick Boxing, NINE O'CLOCK, NINE O'CLOCK, Get the seat earlier... Tonight, Tonight! LIVE, from Chaweng Stadium, NINE O'CLOCK, NINE O'CLOCK..."

Going to bump instead of a new thread but can people tell me a bit about this place? I went to Patong Beach last year so I kind of know what to expect when it comes to Thailand/beach side resorts etc. After a bit of reading it seems like Pattaya is more of a place driven by the sex industry rather than partying/night life, but I've also read that Pattaya shits all over Patong as a destination in all aspects.

Hmmm, the comparison between 2 shitholes :)

Patong is crap as a thai/beach side resort!! So if thats your experience then, with respect, you have no idea what to expect when it comes to same. There are several very nice resorts in Phuket, none in Patong. Patong is package tourist central, has Bangla road (with its crap nightlife) and well thats about it.

Pattaya is Bangla Road on steroids but with way too many Russians!! haha - East Moscow these days...

I am no great fan of either place but if you were looking for clubs, gogo bars and beer bars etc you'd likely be better off in Pattaya. It is also only 90 mins from Bangkok, so you can escape to something approaching civilisation.

If you are looking for genuine beach resorts and something approaching thai style, you'd go to neither.

mate u r spot on.

pattaya is the seediest place i have ever been. go go bars line every street.

i prefer the islands

mate u r spot on.

pattaya is the seediest place i have ever been. go go bars line every street.

i prefer the islands

Thats not quite true. Certainly lots of beer bars but gogo bars are less prevalent.

It is seedy though. Which is occasionally entertaining.

Which islands?

I mean there are plenty of them....

Phuket is essentially a place for old men to find prostitutes and unless you want a restaurant or a bar full of prostitutes there isn't much on offer. Very westernised and quite boring.

Haven't posted in this thread since my trip (unsure if I have posted anywhere else but anyway..)

Had a great time. Can't believe how many bars there are there..

Phi Phi Island was my highlight, absolutely loved everything about it, so much to do in the day, cliff diving (didn't try it), Scuba diving, snorkeling, canoeing around the place etc.. and the nightlife is great too. So many good places with largely under 25's everywhere.

Phuket was good, very touristy though but for a few days its worth a visit. Can't believe how many ladyboys are there, and how much they look like women.

If you want to get drunk, hook up with nice Russians/thais/backbackers and swim every day Thailand is the place. So cheap too, I can see why Australians keep going back.

Amongst other things (shooting range, elephant ride and so on) we hired a scooter for a day and did some exploring and crashing :eek:.

Those buckets are lethal, never been so drunk so often as I was in Thailand. But the people are great once you get used to the Tuk Tuk, Suit and DVD guys.. (and massage women).

Except for a coruple of nights where I acted like a tool with one of the fellow travellers (an ex), most of which I don't remember.. and for dropping my camera in my bucket.. I had the time of my life. Will not be the last time I visit this beautiful country.

Phuket is essentially a place for old men to find prostitutes and unless you want a restaurant or a bar full of prostitutes there isn't much on offer. Very westernised and quite boring.

Swap "phuket" for "patong" and you likely have a point.

If you reckon the entire island of Phuket has nothing to offer except hookers you didn't try very hard. More likely you just sat in a s**t hotel near Bangla Road in Patong ... like most Aussie package tourists. :p

Swap "phuket" for "patong" and you likely have a point.

If you reckon the entire island of Phuket has nothing to offer except hookers you didn't try very hard. More likely you just sat in a s**t hotel near Bangla Road in Patong ... like most Aussie package tourists. :p

That is an experience in itself though.

Btw, in Patong beach.. what was in the water? Felt like something stinging us every now and then? Couldn't work out what it was.

Bangla Road was funny just for the fact that I had read so much about it here and elsewhere and it was exactly like I had pictured it.

That is an experience in itself though.

Btw, in Patong beach.. what was in the water? Felt like something stinging us every now and then? Couldn't work out what it was.

Bangla Road was funny just for the fact that I read so much about it here and elsewhere and it was exactly like I had pictured it.

Yes, there is stuff in the water at Patong Beach ... no idea what, never wanted to know ... :p

Nothing in there though that stings you as much as the jet ski rental places around there ...

Bangla Road is certainly an experience and one can certainly have some fun around there with the right attitude but it is the "touristy" version of that stuff much like Patpong in BKK - I mean I live in BKK and as far as I can tell ony tourists actually go there - there are plenty of similiar "nightlife" areas that aren't quite as irritating.

And if you really want the "sleaze" that Bangla sort of promises, just go to Pattaya ... that is Sodom & Gomorrah.

Did you get out of Patong and explore the rest of Phuket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back