Phuket

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you know which tuk tuk's are mafia driven and which aren't? When I was up there, we always picked the loudest and brightest we could find at night :D

Much like the jetski operators on Patong Beach, the tuk tuks are all operated by dubious individuals ... not so much the individual drivers (although like their BKK counterparts they are the bottom end of the tourist food chain and need to be "trusted" accordingly) ...

If you jump in a tuk tuk to head home to a nearby Patong hotel and you have a rough idea of the way you should be fine, if you catch a tuk tuk to head a bit further, out of Patong, there are plenty of people with limited Thai language skills who can tell you stories of blatant and unpleasant rip offs ... often more a pain in the arse than real money (I mean ultimately 200 baht turning into 500 baht isnt big bikkies) ...

The Jet Skis at the beach are more of an issue when they claim damage and ask for 10,000 baht+ because you aint insured. Call the local cops and they umm .. interested parties in the business ...

Just beware of some of the dodgy guys is I guess the message and chok dee mak mak ...

Phuket and Ko Samui are the two parts of Thailand where it is necessary that you hire a motorbike - Eagle is right about the Mafia Tuk Tuk drivers.

Jet Skis - make sure that you take pics before hiring - Then you have proof if the owners claim there is damage to the jet-ski.

Phuket and Ko Samui are the two parts of Thailand where it is necessary that you hire a motorbike - Eagle is right about the Mafia Tuk Tuk drivers.

Jet Skis - make sure that you take pics before hiring - Then you have proof if the owners claim there is damage to the jet-ski.

Im pretty sure no-ones topped the Pattaya scam yet where they rent you a motorbike, get all your details, then come and steal the bike from your hotel (with the second key) at 4.30am and then when you report the theft they point out you arent insured for theft .... ask you for the 45k replacement cost and then wait til you leave Thailand and rent it to someone else ...

Fortunately, even for the Pattaya cops, this was seen as too big a deal so they shut them down ...

It is creative though :D

Im pretty sure no-ones topped the Pattaya scam yet where they rent you a motorbike, get all your details, then come and steal the bike from your hotel (with the second key) at 4.30am and then when you report the theft they point out you arent insured for theft .... ask you for the 45k replacement cost and then wait til you leave Thailand and rent it to someone else ...

Fortunately, even for the Pattaya cops, this was seen as too big a deal so they shut them down ...

It is creative though :D

Gotta say that Nar Harn is a lovely beach - reminded me of the headland type beaches in Sydney.

Phuket is continually developing - Kata and Rawai are far more developed.

Eat like a westerner and prices are only 15 to 20% less than Hong Kong.

And still lots of Italians - Good for the wife to practice her Italian - And the espressos.

Gotta say that Nar Harn is a lovely beach - reminded me of the headland type beaches in Sydney.

Phuket is continually developing - Kata and Rawai are far more developed.

Eat like a westerner and prices are only 15 to 20% less than Hong Kong.

And still lots of Italians - Good for the wife to practice her Italian - And the espressos.

Can't speak on the number of Italians but the rest of your post is spot on. The good thing about the development is that there are plenty of alternative destinations to Patong .... ;)

Was that your first visit to Nai Harn Beach? Its a good spot and if you just want a few days of R&R the Yacht Club at the beach there isnt a bad spot ..
http://www.theroyalphuketyachtclub.com/

How was the break? The weather ok?

Can't speak on the number of Italians but the rest of your post is spot on. The good thing about the development is that there are plenty of alternative destinations to Patong .... ;)

Was that your first visit to Nai Harn Beach? Its a good spot and if you just want a few days of R&R the Yacht Club at the beach there isnt a bad spot ..
http://www.theroyalphuketyachtclub.com/

How was the break? The weather ok?

Spent a total of 2 weeks in Phuket - rained about 4 times - 2 were brief showers - and two decent sessions overnight.

In Ko Samui for one week - Rained twice - once a good session overnight and the other one was a brief shower.

Apparently the second week of JANUARY was wet in Ko Samui - including the airport being closed 10th of January due to inclement weather.

Going for the first time in March

I am going with 5 other mates so 6 total for 13 nights me and another bloke are the only two that have not been there

Going to Koh Samui (Chewang Beach) first for 6 Nights and going to the Full Moon party then going to Phuket (Patong) for 7 nights

It cost us about $2000 each where staying at pretty good resorts and got pretty cheap flights

Can not wait can people give me any tips on anything i should be looking to do there

Going for the first time in March

I am going with 5 other mates so 6 total for 13 nights me and another bloke are the only two that have not been there

Going to Koh Samui (Chewang Beach) first for 6 Nights and going to the Full Moon party then going to Phuket (Patong) for 7 nights

It cost us about $2000 each where staying at pretty good resorts and got pretty cheap flights

Can not wait can people give me any tips on anything i should be looking to do there

Best advice is to hire a motor bike - Cost about $10 per day.

Tuk Tuk's in Phuket and Ko Samui are expensive.

Great thread. Will re-read it again for further advice.

I'm a 26yo male and I'm headed to Thailand at the end of April.

I'm starting in Phuket for 3 days, then flying Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui and starting a Contiki tour that runs 9 days. I decided to do the tour due to the fact I'm going alone, this will give me an opportunity to have some people to enjoy the place with.

The tour goes from Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan over the 9 day period, doesn't actually have a lot in its actual itinerary but is only $780 including accom. and most breakfasts.

At the end of the tour I've got 3-4 days to choose where to go. I probably wont venture anywhere out of the places I've already mentioned but will choose which one to go back and stay in based on how much fun I had in either place.

Questions;

Can anyone recommend a good place for a single bloke to spend 2-3 nights in Phuket? Despite all the Patong bashing here, it's the first time I've ever left Australia and I want to have bulk fun and get shitfaced, the usual single bloke holiday stuff.

Does most accom really need to be booked well in advance? As I said, I plan to choose where to go back to at the end of my tour and wonder if I can leave it until then to just check into a hotel etc?

I believe I'll be in Koh Samui for the FMP so I'm excited about being in a group that are all going to be wanting to head to it.

Should be pretty fun, I've got plenty of cash to blow so I should do it comfortably too.

Great thread. Will re-read it again for further advice.

I'm a 26yo male and I'm headed to Thailand at the end of April.

I'm starting in Phuket for 3 days, then flying Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui and starting a Contiki tour that runs 9 days. I decided to do the tour due to the fact I'm going alone, this will give me an opportunity to have some people to enjoy the place with.

The tour goes from Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan over the 9 day period, doesn't actually have a lot in its actual itinerary but is only $780 including accom. and most breakfasts.

At the end of the tour I've got 3-4 days to choose where to go. I probably wont venture anywhere out of the places I've already mentioned but will choose which one to go back and stay in based on how much fun I had in either place.

Questions;

Can anyone recommend a good place for a single bloke to spend 2-3 nights in Phuket? Despite all the Patong bashing here, it's the first time I've ever left Australia and I want to have bulk fun and get shitfaced, the usual single bloke holiday stuff.

Does most accom really need to be booked well in advance? As I said, I plan to choose where to go back to at the end of my tour and wonder if I can leave it until then to just check into a hotel etc?

I believe I'll be in Koh Samui for the FMP so I'm excited about being in a group that are all going to be wanting to head to it.

Should be pretty fun, I've got plenty of cash to blow so I should do it comfortably too.

If you just want to get s**t faced and shag the locals then Patong will be a place you can achieve those goals and being there alone would work fine ...

As far as accommodation, early May is far from peak season and you'll be able to get plenty of last minute accommodation either by rocking up or via agoda or latestays.com ....

If you really wanted to go hardcore shitfaced and "the usual single bloke holiday stuff" head to Pattaya :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pattaya is in Phangan?

Koh Phangan is an island (koh is thai for island).

Pattaya is 90 mins south of Bangkok. You'd have to fly (or take a very long bus trip/taxi ride) to get to Pattaya.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find that out on the internet :p

But seriously, you were suggesting heading to Phuket & Patong in particular for getting s**t faced and "doing what young single guys do" or words to that effect ... if thats your primary objective, Bangla Road is the Little League compared to Pattaya ...

Koh Phangan is an island (koh is thai for island).

Pattaya is 90 mins south of Bangkok. You'd have to fly (or take a very long bus trip/taxi ride) to get to Pattaya.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find that out on the internet :p

But seriously, you were suggesting heading to Phuket & Patong in particular for getting s**t faced and "doing what young single guys do" or words to that effect ... if thats your primary objective, Bangla Road is the Little League compared to Pattaya ...

Gotta wonder about the mentality of getting s**t faced on holidays.

Maybe I am different but I treat holidays as a chance to be more healthy - eat better foods and rarely drink.

Probably cheaper to get drunk in Pattaya rather than Phuket.

Gotta wonder about the mentality of getting s**t faced on holidays.

Maybe I am different but I treat holidays as a chance to be more healthy - eat better foods and rarely drink.

Probably cheaper to get drunk in Pattaya rather than Phuket.

You've been to Patong & Pattaya I believe?

While I agree with you, it seems we are in a minority when compared with Aussie package tourists.

The blokes that get on the plane from Perth to Phuket at 9am and immediately start knocking back jack cokes "because theyre free mate and you can get pissed before you arrive" are an increasing group ...

Australian culture :)

While I agree with you, it seems we are in a minority when compared with Aussie package tourists.

The blokes that get on the plane from Perth to Phuket at 9am and immediately start knocking back jack cokes "because theyre free mate and you can get pissed before you arrive" are an increasing group ...

Tell me about it. Gives us all a bad name. :thumbsdown:

Best advice is to hire a motor bike - Cost about $10 per day.

Yeah, if you want to die.

I hired bikes all over SE Asia, but I refused to do so in Thailand. Far too much traffic on the roads for it to be anywhere near safe. i met countless people in plaster casts because of bike falls (if you are one of the unlucky ones you won't be able to swim with a cast on).

If you fill out a cab with your mates each trip will be like $2 each. Safer, quicker and more comfy than a bike.

I hired bikes all over SE Asia, but I refused to do so in Thailand. Far too much traffic on the roads for it to be anywhere near safe. i met countless people in plaster casts because of bike falls (if you are one of the unlucky ones you won't be able to swim with a cast on).

If you fill out a cab with your mates each trip will be like $2 each. Safer, quicker and more comfy than a bike.

Thailand is safer on a bike (with the exception of Bangkok) then Vietnam, Camboda, Indonesia and I'd reckon Malaysia ....

I'm not saying bikes are "safe" obviously they aren't as safe as a car but to argue that Thailand is less safe than "all over SE Asia" is patent nonsense.

Also interested in what "cab" you used in Phuket?

There are private taxis (cars not marked up as taxis) but the taxis in Phuket are actually the mafia controlled Tuk Tuks which aren't more comfortable than bikes. Also to book a private taxi in Phuket for, say, an afternoon out at Old Town or similar is likely $30 or $40 - which is fine, but you'd need a fair few mates squeezed in for $2 each :)

Personally, I'd just hire a car, especially if there was 3 or 4 of you. You can pay $40 or so a day and you're set...

Actually Patong/Kata/Rawai and Lamai in Ko Samui.

Drinking on planes - Never done it my life.

Actually noticed there were lots of Aussie women getting s**t faced with the guys.

My wife enjoyed Ko Samui - May take her to Hua Hin next time - Though she enjoys Patts/Jomtien.

I can understand your point of view - Actually my wife ( Indo ) always jokes that westerners can't safely ride motorbikes.

WE do it in Phuket and Ko Samui cause they are small islands so it is easier to travel around and much cheaper but never in Bangkok.

Would never ride a motorbike in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia.

Then again the wife would never ride a motorbike In Australia.

Thailand is safer on a bike (with the exception of Bangkok) then Vietnam, Camboda, Indonesia and I'd reckon Malaysia ....

I'm not saying bikes are "safe" obviously they aren't as safe as a car but to argue that Thailand is less safe than "all over SE Asia" is patent nonsense.

Also interested in what "cab" you used in Phuket?

There are private taxis (cars not marked up as taxis) but the taxis in Phuket are actually the mafia controlled Tuk Tuks which aren't more comfortable than bikes. Also to book a private taxi in Phuket for, say, an afternoon out at Old Town or similar is likely $30 or $40 - which is fine, but you'd need a fair few mates squeezed in for $2 each :)

Personally, I'd just hire a car, especially if there was 3 or 4 of you. You can pay $40 or so a day and you're set...

Yep, the private ones. Place I was staying at gave us a number and blokes would pick us up wherever. Cheap as chips (comparatively to AUS). I didn't travel large distances, only a few km at a time.

I avoided tuk tuks like the plague.

And as far as bikes go, the countryside in Vietnam etc. is way, way less crowded than in Thailand. I found it dangerous to drive anywhere on a bike in Thailand. Rural Vietnam though you'll barely see a soul. That can be both good and bad...if you end up on your ass in the middle of nowhere you're pretty screwed, but from my experience the chances of you getting in any trouble to begin with is lower.

I road bikes all over Vietnam save for Hanoi and Saigon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back