List Mgmt. Pick 1,2,3 or 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. No doubt we have the midfield, a top quality ruckman and a dangerous forward line. A coach with fresh ideas, assistants and game plan may turn things around quicker than you think.
Pendlebury will start to decline before he retires even if it's 10% that's a drop off in the midfield.

I'd consider trading our first pick (say 1-6) plus either of Thomas and Keeffe (if Brisbane actually wanted either) for Schache.

The bargain we'd be pushing for to get back would be their second pick (currently 15) or third pick (currently 19). If that doesn't work, go after their fourth pick (currently 38).

We'd be basically giving up a player that's somewhat capable but not in our 22 for a third year KPF who's about ready to become a regular best 22 performer.

Yes, we could draft a kid, but let's not forget they'd be a first year player. They probably wouldn't play much in their first year, and their second year output would likely also be low. Add to that, they could be a total bust.
Why are we suddenly so desperate to have a second year player over a first year? I didn't realise we were challenging for the flag.

Why are we suddenly so desperate to have a second year player over a first year? I didn't realise we were challenging for the flag.

Third (which he will be next year) over first. Think where Moore is now compared to when he played his first game against the Hawks 2 years ago.

Not necessarily challenging for the flag now, but could be the difference between challenging for the flag in 2020 instead of 2022, no?

Third (which he will be next year) over first. Think where Moore is now compared to when he played his first game against the Hawks 2 years ago.

Not necessarily challenging for the flag now, but could be the difference between challenging for the flag in 2020 instead of 2022, no?
Less chance of them playing 300 games for us if we don't draft our own. I'd rather get a one club player.

So when you left the Carlton game you thought we played like a top 12 side or top 17?

Top seventeen. It was our worst loss so far.

But its what your capable of that matters, not what your worst is. And we have shown to be capable in more games than not. Dogs and Tigers it was bad set goalkicking, Swans was an awesome start and a solid slog, Geelong was four quarters, so was GWS.

Last chance month of games coming up. We need to win four straight against weak opposition, no mistakes no excuses no room for bad luck. After the next four games we can decide if bottom four is where we belong.

Agreed i would rather pay overs for a Lobb or Patton than get a key forward and spend 5 years developing them until we see anything.

Neither will leave the Giants

Funnily enough our defence, which I was super nervous about coming into 2017, has been a strength for us this season. We have the best score against outside of the top 8 and we are actually 7th overall. Our goal scoring woes remain the real issue. We are keeping teams down to beatable scores but then we aren't doing enough in the forward line to actually beat them. We aren't getting blown away because we aren't letting good teams score highly against us.
We need a forward to help out Darby desperately. A player like, dare I say, Daniher but more accurate. Similar age and heading upwards.

I cant say i agree with that. Lobb is probably on say 200-300k. We could offer 800+ for him. Would be very very very hard for him to say no.

Would not be the least bit disappointed if we offered him that money. Guy is exactly what we need. He is a gun in the making

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of Collingwood's (currently pick 4). The bigfooty trial phantom draft is underway and I drafted this guy for Collingwood:

(If anyone wants to follow along here is the link): https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...om-draft-trial-run-starts-monday-9am.1170814/

Quick copy paste job from my July Power Rankings.

Collingwood #4 -
Will Sutherland (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 195cm, 90kg
Recruited from: Scotch College
Projected draft range: Top ten
Similar to: Jeremy Cameron
June Ranking: Not ranked
Rationale: Previously left out of these power rankings under assumption that he would choose a career in cricket. The choice by Sutherland to participate in this year's Under-18 Championships means he needs to enter the discussion. Possesses the upside to be the best in the draft.
Strengths:
Aggressiveness and intimidation
Loves the physical side of the game
Clean at ground level
Tackles with force
Acceleration
Agility
Repeat speed
Bodywork in one-on-one contests
Takes marks at highest point
Long and reliable kick
Versatility to play key forward or as a midfielder
Weaknesses:
Overhead marking needs to become consistently one grab
Limited exposure against good opponents with only the three Under-18 Championships matches played and no TAC Cup football under his belt
Endurance
Strength

--
Why Sutherland for Collingwood?

With Collingwood lacking good key position players and the good ones coming early. Had to go with Will Sutherland, in an attempt to find a long term partner to Darcy Moore.

Paddy Dow was the highest rated player remaining on my draft board and would also with his contested ball winning, explosive pace and skills have been a strong choice. I was initially thinking him, but I restrained myself and considered the clubs list needs, not feeling like the long term key forward to build around as a focal point will come through the trade or free agent period.

Will Sutherland with his aggressive approach is the type of character with the scope to be Collingwood's number one option up forward and a complement to Darcy Moore.

Since I placed the first pick for the bigfooty trial phantom draft in here, I may as well place my next selection here.

# 36 Collingwood
(received from the Brisbane Lions) Brayden Crossley (QLD – Gold Coast Academy)
Best position: Ruck
Height, weight: 198cm, 105kg
Recruited from: Labrador Tigers
Projected draft range: second round onwards
Similar to: Braydon Preuss
Rationale: Strength in the ruck combined with his rare followup work by position. Crossley has the scope to develop into a monster of a ruckman.
Strengths:
Roves off a contest like a small
Recovery after ruck contests rare
Followup work with ground ball winning and tackling exceptional
Physical impact around the ball
Freakish cleanness at ground level for someone his height/size
Strength
Bodywork in the contest
Agile
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Leap
Acceleration
--

Why pick Crossley? Simple best available talent as my only remaining top 20 rated talent (rated 16 in my July power rankings).

Crossley playing a Shane Mumford style of game with that same strength, recovery from ruck contests and followup work winning the ground balls and tackling. He is made of AFL stuff and can at AFL level be a lead ruckman for a club - as shown v Metro where he was in my view certainly through the 1st half and probably for the match B.O.G. with his impact significant.

There are others who could have filled other list needs but ultimately my interest is in drafting someone I'm confident is AFL quality rather than someone I feel is only a speculative chance.

Since I placed the first pick for the bigfooty trial phantom draft in here, I may as well place my next selection here.

# 36 Collingwood
(received from the Brisbane Lions) Brayden Crossley (QLD – Gold Coast Academy)
Best position: Ruck
Height, weight: 198cm, 105kg
Recruited from: Labrador Tigers
Similar to: Braydon Preuss
Rationale: Strength in the ruck combined with his rare followup work by position. Crossley has the scope to develop into a monster of a ruckman.
Strengths:
Roves off a contest like a small
Recovery after ruck contests rare
Followup work with ground ball winning and tackling exceptional
Physical impact around the ball
Freakish cleanness at ground level for someone his height/size
Strength
Bodywork in the contest
Agile
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Leap
Acceleration
--

Why pick Crossley? Simple best available talent as my only remaining top 20 rated talent (rated 16 in my July power rankings).

Crossley playing a Shane Mumford style of game with that same strength, recovery from ruck contests and followup work winning the ground balls and tackling. He is made of AFL stuff and can at AFL level be a lead ruckman for a club - as shown v Metro where he was in my view certainly through the 1st half and probably for the match B.O.G. with his impact significant.

There are others who could have filled other list needs but ultimately my interest is in drafting someone I'm confident is AFL quality rather than someone I feel is only a speculative chance.
That and it brings another Brayden into the club. Keep the Braydens coming :)

# 54 Collingwood (received from the Brisbane Lions) - Brent Daniels (VIC)
Height, weight: 172cm, 70kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Similar to: Dayne Zorko
July Ranking: 21
Rationale: Exceptionally talented small forward who hits the scoreboard and wins a high proportion of the ball in the contest.
Strengths:
Acceleration
Agility
Evasiveness
Natural forward talent
Knows what will happen before it happens
Keeps his feet
Clean kick to target
Vision
Decision making
Finishing around goal
Reads the ball in flight early
Aerial marking
One touch at ground level
Crumbs off packs
Contested ball winner
First possession winner at stoppages
Capable midfielder with scope at AFL level to rotate through there
Weaknesses:
Tackle numbers
Forward pressure
Work rate
Endurance

--

Why pick Daniels for Collingwood? Best available and someone I feel has the scope to develop in an AFL environment. Very talented forward with all the attributes and just needs to build up his endurance and give more consistent when the ball isn't in his hands.

Collingwood need more talent up forward, and guys with genuine pace who can offer scoreboard impact. Daniels ticks those boxes.

#57 Collingwood - Cassidy Parish (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 190cm, 84kg
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: first to third round
Similar to: Matt Priddis
July Ranking: 25
Rationale: As dominant as any midfielder at the coal face. Would be higher if he was a more reliable kick or if he had some other tricks.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Stoppage work
Clearances
Gets to the right spots at stoppages
Production
Weaknesses:
Overhead marking
Reading of the flight
Kicking consistency
Lacks a second position

--
Collingwood don't need midfielders. That said, with no players who fills list pressing needs adequately or projects as future best 22 players. I'm looking at a best available selection and someone who should have been selected sooner. Parish leads the TAC Cup with averages of - 28 disposals per game, 14.6 contested possessions per game and 8.1 clearances per game. And we're talking about a genuine 190cm midfielder who wins first possession more than anyone else nationally of this years prospects.

Parish's kicking while not ideal, is showing signs of growth. Overall I'm less concerned with his kicking as much as I just want him adding extra elements to his game, as he's presently a midfielder only who doesn't offer anything elsewhere or have any tricks other when he's not going for the ball at stoppages.

Collingwood's midfielder would still benefit from the addition of a clearance and first possession winning machine, lacking one. Given this, Parish can fill a list hole and make life easier for the clubs other midfielders.

On the topic of Collingwood's (currently pick 4). The bigfooty trial phantom draft is underway and I drafted this guy for Collingwood:

(If anyone wants to follow along here is the link): https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...om-draft-trial-run-starts-monday-9am.1170814/

Quick copy paste job from my July Power Rankings.

Collingwood #4 -
Will Sutherland (VIC)
Height, weight: 195cm, 90kg
Recruited from: Scotch College
Projected draft range: Top ten
Similar to: Jeremy Cameron
Rationale: Previously left out of these power rankings under assumption that he would choose a career in cricket. The choice by Sutherland to participate in this year's Under-18 Championships means he needs to enter the discussion. Possesses the upside to be the best in the draft.
Strengths:
Aggressiveness and intimidation
Loves the physical side of the game
Clean at ground level
Tackles with force
Acceleration
Agility
Repeat speed
Bodywork in one-on-one contests
Takes marks at highest point
Long and reliable kick
Versatility to play key forward or as a midfielder
Weaknesses:
Overhead marking needs to become consistently one grab
Limited exposure against good opponents with only the three Under-18 Championships matches played and no TAC Cup football under his belt
Endurance
Strength

--
Why Sutherland for Collingwood?

With Collingwood lacking good key position players and the good ones coming early. Had to go with Will Sutherland, in an attempt to find a long term partner to Darcy Moore.

Paddy Dow was the highest rated player remaining on my draft board and would also with his contested ball winning, explosive pace and skills have been a strong choice. I was initially thinking him, but I restrained myself and considered the clubs list needs, not feeling like the long term key forward to build around as a focal point will come through the trade or free agent period.

Will Sutherland with his aggressive approach is the type of character with the scope to be Collingwood's number one option up forward and a complement to Darcy Moore.
Being from Scocth worries me. I prefer a country lad like Johno Brown than a Jack Watts type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back