Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you bypass the best talent because of a perception? That will be purely down to Hamish and his team to assess and make their judgement call on.

Jack Gunston's father if my memory serves me was at Essendon yet Jack went to the Hawks?

I did say when we drafted Jack that I thought he was a huge flight risk. He comes from a seriously wealthy family, Ray was CFO of Tattersalls, in addition to being on the Essendon Board. Whilst I expected the Bombers to be sniffing around, Hawthorn was my second guess. As a Haileybury alumni, the culture shock of venturing down to Elizabeth (“I felt my personality was changing.......”) from the leafy Eastern suburbs of Melbourne was too much for mummy and daddy to endure.

I am not saying we should ignore every private school student in Melbourne. There are plenty of non silver-spooners in colleges in Melbourne (and Adelaide), many of them on footy scholarships. I do believe it is a red flag if they come from very privileged backgrounds, add in a close connection to the VFL old boys club and you are on a hiding to nothing.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I'd look at trading our 1 to gold coast for their 2x first draft picks, currently 5 and 14, but reckon they will both be lower by the end of the year, guessing 3-4 and 8-9.

I don't mind this idea, but i'll say of the two picks, one would have to be #3 and the other would have to be single digits also

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did say when we drafted Jack that I thought he was a huge flight risk. He comes from a seriously wealthy family, Ray was CFO of Tattersalls, in addition to being on the Essendon Board. Whilst I expected the Bombers to be sniffing around, Hawthorn was my second guess. As a Haileybury alumni, the culture shock of venturing down to Elizabeth (“I felt my personality was changing.......”) from the leafy Eastern suburbs of Melbourne was too much for mummy and daddy to endure.

I am not saying we should ignore every private school student in Melbourne. There are plenty of non silver-spooners in colleges in Melbourne (and Adelaide), many of them on footy scholarships. I do believe it is a red flag if they come from very privileged backgrounds, add in a close connection to the VFL old boys club and you are on a hiding to nothing.
Wonder how Jack would've gone these days with our SANFL team instead of being mini-drafted to Centrals.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was stand in CEO at the Dons brought in for a short period to manage them through their "crisis" after Ian Robson stood down, less than 12 months I believe.
This is spot on. He was however on the Essendon Board prior to the acting CEO role. He was on the Essendon Board when we drafted Jack.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I'm in the Noah Anderson team if it comes to a choice between the two. 190cm 87Kg vs 178cm 75Kg

And don't be surprised if another Oakleigh Charger Forward/Midfielder in Dylan Williams 185cm 81Kg with a good Championships pushes right up there
Only have to look at the Difference Greenwood and CEY have made to our team, To me, Anderson is a CEY with elite talent and speed.
To me, Anderson is a Better Fit for the Crows, The Crows seem to be pretty covered with small mids, in saying that I would still be happy if we got Rowell,
But one thing I don't want to see is us trading out a top 3 pick this year,

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
This is spot on. He was however on the Essendon Board prior to the acting CEO role. He was on the Essendon Board when we drafted Jack.
Yet Jack went to the Hawks?

Dean Anderson has a background in banking and Senior Management with HSBC so we shouldn't draft his son if he's available?, he's also a Caulfield Grammar old boy Egads!

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're joking of course?
No, I know you're have a closer eye than most on the actual talent, but history suggests 2 players in the top ten are more likely to succeed than than one higher pick. By succeed, I mean Brownlow form. I also think the pressure on our club to retain a Rowell or Anderson from the media would be intense, particularly from the Vic media. That's 2 points, but the first point is driving my thoughts here.

On Pixel using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd look at trading our 1 to gold coast for their 2x first draft picks, currently 5 and 14, but reckon they will both be lower by the end of the year, guessing 3-4 and 8-9.
If Anderson & Rowell remain as the 2 standout candidates, they'd face similar issues as us choosing one of them so don't think it's really a good idea for them to swap places with us. In any case, their current pick 5 could get even better by season's end.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yet Jack went to the Hawks?

Dean Anderson has a background in banking and Senior Management with HSBC so we shouldn't draft his son if he's available?, he's also a Caulfield Grammar old boy Egads!
To the people that live in and around the Hawthorn area, Essendon is NQOCD*.

I predicted that we would lose both Fergus and Jack when we drafted them. I was very happy to draft the Crouches. I was worried when we drafted Dangerfield but he did slum it in Adelaide for seven years.

I don’t want to go to war on this but we don’t have a great record with Melbourne silver spooners.

*Not Quite Our Class Darling

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Surely no interstate club is that dumb that they would draft a lad from one of Melbourne’s elite private schools AND whose father sits on the Board of a Victorian AFL club?

Excluding Fergus Watts and Jack Gunston of course :rolleyes:.
Draft them, look after them and be tough at the trade table should they still want to leave

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
... if you look at the 2 lads Rowell looks the most mature bodywise. In that sense Rowell looks much like Jordan Gallucci when we drafted him with a very well developed muscular body for his age, Anderson not quite so much yet. ...
Could be a point for selecting Rowell (if we get to choose between the two) as he might be more likely to hit the ground running and benefit us early on.

The go home risk with both must be high and if we can benefit sooner rather than later from whoever we pick and they continue their form, we hopefully ought to be able to recoup our draft stock if we end up having to let them go.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
To the people that live in and around the Hawthorn area, Essendon is NQOCD*.

I predicted that we would lose both Fergus and Jack when we drafted them. I was very happy to draft the Crouches. I was worried when we drafted Dangerfield but he did slum it in Adelaide for seven years.

I don’t want to go to war on this but we don’t have a great record with Melbourne silver spooners.

*Not Quite Our Class Darling
Ah well we'll just have to settle for the kid in my avatar I guess, from the less well off region the Latrobe Valley, a resident of Fish Creek and a student at the less refined Lowanna College in Moe/Newborough? ;)

Back