Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Father Dean played for the Hawks and is a current Saints board member.

Edit : Forgot to mention Dean also played for the Saints as well as the Hawks
Yeah, I read about that. Not far off father son too. Wasnt sure if there was something else, ie Bailey Smith rumours.

Probably have to back in our recruiters in any case.

Hopefully we get Pick 1 and get Rowell anyway.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm 50/50 on this.

We also need to think about a mini-rebuild, as we have six or so first choice players leaving in the next 18 months, before you even think about trades or delistings.

GWS would trade both first round picks (minimum) for pick one or two.

We'll have a lot of talent from early in the draft for our 2021 team.

6 sounds like a lot to be worried about. There seems to be enough talent on the list already to cover those players to a pretty good extent. Talia probably the exception. But you don’t waste high end picks on stoppers.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't know that SOS thought that far into it. I doubt he did. I think he thought Liam Stocker was a gem, and that Calrton would move up the ladder this year, and maybe didn't rate us because he's one eyed or something. Who would know.

I think from his commentary at the time he thought they'd do better. He was using Melbourne as an example of how clubs don't stay down and implied Carlton would rise up the ladder this year.

Apparently on pure draft points value we win if this happens:

Blues 18th, Crows finish 14th or better
Blues 17th, Crows finish 11th or better
Blues 16th, Crows finish 6th or better
Blues 15th, Crows finish 3rd or better

That's just points though. There is daylight between pick 1 and 2, and the rest of the draftees this year. So either of pick one or two and we've shifted the value way beyond the points system.

It's only round eight still, but we're obviously killing it with this trade right now.

It was always going to look good for us due to the variance between what pick we gave up in 2018 and where Carlton valued Stocker. Future trading isn’t an exact science but you need to be able to pull the trigger at some point, so you have to have some form of best guess ladder made prior to going in. I think Carlton would have reasonably factored pick 4 for pick 12 and Stocker, who they rated about 8 in 2018 and higher again if he was in this year’s draft. Unless you don’t trust your talent ID crew I think you do that deal every time. They haven’t been rewarded with many points but they’ve played well enough for long enough to have notched a couple more.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, I read about that. Not far off father son too. Wasnt sure if there was something else, ie Bailey Smith rumours.

Probably have to back in our recruiters in any case.

Hopefully we get Pick 1 and get Rowell anyway.

If there’s daylight between 2 and the rest and 2 is a huge flight risk you’d have to consider swapping with Saints if we can get a good deal. I wouldn’t go to them during trade week but I’d be ready with a take it or leave it offer come draft night.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Any talk of trading what will likely be pick 1 or 2 for Rankine and/or Lukosius is just dumb. And, more importantly, WILL NOT HAPPEN. DO NOT WASTE YOUR COLLECTIVE BIGFOOTY BREATHS.

It's simple folks, don't try and over-complicate things. These are separate transactions.

Transaction #1 (2019) - Thanks to the Blues (and I'm not talking B.B. King), we pick up (hopefully) the best young footballer in Australia.

Transaction #2 (date unspecified) - If we still rate them, we work on getting Lukosius and/or Rankine at a later time.

FWIW, Rowell in front for me.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
If there’s daylight between 2 and the rest and 2 is a huge flight risk you’d have to consider swapping with Saints if we can get a good deal. I wouldn’t go to them during trade week but I’d be ready with a take it or leave it offer come draft night.
I honestly don't think Anderson is any bigger flight risk than Rowell, they're both Vic Metro/Carey Grammar/APS Schoolboys. There's plenty of footballers playing the game with fathers or close relatives that played the game that don't seem to want home at the first opportunity. The fact is the Melbourne Private Schools System turns out a high percentage of the top end draft talent year in year out and won't be changing anytime soon.
If it was a line ball decision talent wise between a Vic Country and a Vic Metro lad only then would I factor that in. I'm quite happy for Hamish and his crew to do their due diligence and back them in.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
And even with the likely 1 & 2 picks Rowell and Anderson playing for Carey Grammar Haileybury still emerged the victors.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Jees Matt Rowell looks like he never skips a weight room session.

Looks like a ready made AFL midfielder doesn't he?
I'm in the Noah Anderson team if it comes to a choice between the two. 190cm 87Kg vs 178cm 75Kg

And don't be surprised if another Oakleigh Charger Forward/Midfielder in Dylan Williams 185cm 81Kg with a good Championships pushes right up there

Last edited:

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Surely no interstate club is that dumb that they would draft a lad from one of Melbourne’s elite private schools AND whose father sits on the Board of a Victorian AFL club?

Excluding Fergus Watts and Jack Gunston of course :rolleyes:.
So you bypass the best talent because of a perception? That will be purely down to Hamish and his team to assess and make their judgement call on.

Jack Gunston's father if my memory serves me was at Essendon yet Jack went to the Hawks?

hugecannon

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I'm in the Noah Anderson team if it comes to a choice between the two. 190cm 87Kg vs 178cm 75Kg

And don't be surprised if another Oakleigh Charger Forward/Midfielder in Dylan Williams 185cm 81Kg with a good Championships pushes right up there
I voted for Anderson as well, his extra size is very enticing (seeing how much impact CEY & Greenwood are having for us ATM) plus the descriptions describe how dangerous he is as a medium forward, which gives him a role he could fit into early on while he builds fitness and becomes predominantly a midfielder.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I hear Anderson is the more explosive/breakaway midfielder, while Rowell is the more inside dominant, clearance beast. Would that be an accurate description? If so then I could see why we would lean that way.

I can't wait until the championships this year. Although based on the top 20 player lists it looks like team SA is going to do it tough!

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I hear Anderson is the more explosive/breakaway midfielder, while Rowell is the more inside dominant, clearance beast. Would that be an accurate description? If so then I could see why we would lean that way.

I can't wait until the championships this year. Although based on the top 20 player lists it looks like team SA is going to do it tough!
Nothing wrong with Rowell's acceleration from the contest, no doubt he's stronger in the contest at this point in time but if you look at the 2 lads Rowell looks the most mature bodywise. In that sense Rowell looks much like Jordan Gallucci when we drafted him with a very well developed muscular body for his age, Anderson not quite so much yet. Rowell much like Walsh this year looks a plug and play type from day 1.

Back