Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nothing wrong with Rowell's acceleration from the contest, no doubt he's stronger in the contest at this point in time but if you look at the 2 lads Rowell looks the most mature bodywise. In that sense Rowell looks much like Jordan Gallucci when we drafted him with a very well developed muscular body for his age, Anderson not quite so much yet. Rowell much like Walsh this year looks a plug and play type from day 1.
You can tell, Rowell's got that powerful looking upper body through the shoulders and chest. Have you heard much about their tanks to this point? They run well?

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

It's a trick of Rowell being closer to the camera than Anderson, but if I had to pick which one of those was 190cm 87Kg vs 178cm 75Kg, I'd say that Rowell was the bigger one from that pic. Did Rowell grow/increase in weight since public measurements were last taken?

Will be very interesting to see their size and weights come the combine.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
It's a trick of Rowell being closer to the camera than Anderson, but if I had to pick which one of those was 190cm 87Kg vs 178cm 75Kg, I'd say that Rowell was the bigger one from that pic. Did Rowell grow/increase in weight since public measurements were last taken?

You need to look at the ground both lads are standing on, there's an appreciable slope in that ground.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

L - R : Dylan Williams, Noah Anderson, Nick Bryan, Matt Rowell, Trent Bianco.....all odds on to to get drafted IMO.

Edit that pic is from only a month or so ago

1557728846397.png

Last edited:

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
L - R : Dylan Williams, Noah Anderson, Nick Bryan, Matt Rowell, Trent Bianco.....all odds on to to get drafted IMO.

Edit that pic is from only a month or so ago

View attachment 673092

Thanks Bicks, so interesting when you see some of these "natural footballers" come up through the ranks together.
Kids come out of primary school and just keep tracking up towards the AFL as a group, dominating every age group.

Victoria's SSV U12 squad in 2013
Noah Anderson - Auburn Primary School
Jehtt Brazionis - Cheltenham Secondary College
Nick Burke - Stella Maris Catholic Primary School, Beaumaris
Joel Capetola - St Clement of Rome School, Bulleen
Adam Carafa - St John's School, Heidelberg
Josh Daniel - St John's School, Heidelberg
Marcus Emmett - Geelong Grammar School, Toorak
Jack Hindson - Fairfield Primary School
Deklan Loveridge - Mildura South Primary School
Finn Maginness - Brighton Beach Primary School
Jack Mahony - St Kevin's College, Toorak
Harris Mastras - Kew East Primary School
Fischer McAsey - Elsternwick Primary School
Matthew Rowell - Mont Albert Primary School
Cooper Saunders - Maiden Gully Primary School
Caleb Serong - Warragul Primary School
Brock Smith - Lowanna Secondary College, Moe
Cooper Stephens - Trinity College, Colac
Ryan Sturgess, Sacred Heart School, Diamond Creek
Jack Toner - Beaconhills College, Pakenham
Jackson Voss - St Bede's College, Mentone
Dylan Williams - Roberts McCubbin Primary School, Box Hill South
Luke Winter - St Kevin's College, Toorak

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we'll trade Pick 1 for later picks because we also have Pick 19.
If anything we might try to bundle pick 19 or our 2nd with a player to get another higher pick if there is someone there we really want..just speculating. Pick 1 (assuming it turns out that way) will be used for best available talent or maybe to try and deal with GC for luko or rankine

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anything we might try to bundle pick 19 or our 2nd with a player to get another higher pick if there is someone there we really want..just speculating. Pick 1 (assuming it turns out that way) will be used for best available talent or maybe to try and deal with GC for luko or rankine
Do we really want to go down that track? I understand the obsession with Adelaide kids - but seriously, why would we overpay when they haven't done anything to prove themselves yet? Surely we wait and see and cherry pick them when they are elite like the Vic clubs do?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I would be happy for the club to use our first this year with whatever else might do to go after Rankine and Luko.
Yeah I wouldn't mind either.

In Luko and Rankine you immediately have top notch and timely replacements for Lynch and Betts.

With Fogarty and Berg replacing Walker and Jenkins we would then have renewed the entire core of our forward line.

Plus Fog-Luko-Rankine all local lads and crows fans that will give full loyalty, play for the jumper and no flight risk.

HF: McAdam Fogarty Lukosius

FF: Rankine Himmelberg Murphy

...is a highly talented spearhead.

Draft a number 1 pick from the Melbourne upper classes and I can just see it being 2-6 years of constant innuendo before he goes home.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting fact - Only 3 Clubs have never had Pick 1 Adelaide, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

Another interesting fact no No.1 Pick has made it into the AFL Hall Of Fame as yet and only 1 player Adam Cooney has won a Brownlow.

The last 8 Pick 1's have all been from the Victorian TAC System.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I wouldn't mind either.

In Luko and Rankine you immediately have top notch and timely replacements for Lynch and Betts.

With Fogarty and Berg replacing Walker and Jenkins we would then have renewed the entire core of our forward line.

Plus Fog-Luko-Rankine all local lads and crows fans that will give full loyalty, play for the jumper and no flight risk.

HF: McAdam Fogarty Lukosius

FF: Rankine Himmelberg Murphy

...is a highly talented spearhead.

Draft a number 1 pick from the Melbourne upper classes and I can just see it being 2-6 years of constant innuendo before he goes home.
Not to mention the fact that whoever Anderson or Rowell decided to go to wouldnt have a pick anywhere near what we should get.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Not to mention the fact that whoever Anderson or Rowell decided to go to wouldnt have a pick anywhere near what we should get.
Yep we will get a couple of picks back to take back to the draft and start from scratch again after developing him and pumping games into him at someone else's expense.

We've all seen this show before

I mean Dangerfield only got us pick 12 and 27 or whatever then won the Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep we will get a couple of picks back to take back to the draft and start from scratch again after developing him and pumping games into him at someone else's expense.

I mean Dangerfield only got us pick 12 and 27 or whatever then won the Brownlow.
and there is in a nutshell why we should use the pick as part of a package to try and get Luko and Rankine back as our 1st option - they are SA lads, both were crows fans and should be career players with us once we got them...oh and add to that they are ridiculously talented

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
and there is in a nutshell why we should use the pick as part of a package to try and get Luko and Rankine back as our 1st option - they are SA lads, both were crows fans and should be career players with us once we got them...oh and add to that they are ridiculously talented
Why would we do that while they are both under contract, Adelaide have almost certainly the highest draft pick we've ever had that Gold Coast would want as a non negotiable for either player and likely more considering what picks they used originally....to put it mildly GC would have us over a barrel. Now next season's end if either of them are still uncontracted and unconditionally want out it would be Adelaide that holds the upper hand in negotiations and unless we turn to crap in 2020 we wouldn't need to give up near as much collateral either.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
... Another interesting fact no No.1 Pick has made it into the AFL Hall Of Fame as yet and only 1 player Adam Cooney has won a Brownlow. ...
Luke Hodge (2001 pick #1) will probably make it into HoF one day but generally, it's probably not surprising as pick #1's with few exceptions nearly always end up in the Club finishing bottom of that year.

Also wondering whether pick #1 has been traded in the past - looks like pick #1 in 1992 was traded by Sydney to WCE, who were the Premiers.

The closest other case is Collingwood in 1999 trading what would have been pick #1 based on their table finishing position (which ended up as #3) to Richmond (Coll had pick #1 but that was a priority pick that year)

Some exceptions of pick #1's not going to bottom club:

* Freo, GC & GWS as startup clubs

* 2007 - #1 went to Carlton (finished 2nd last) as a priority pick

* 2002 - #1 went to StK (finished 2nd last) after Carlton were stripped of picks

* 1996 - #1 went to WCE as compo for losing Downsborough to Port (WCE finished 4th - 13th last - in 1996)

* 1995 - #1 went to Freo, not sure why as they finished 4th last (startup concession?).

* With Cooney, WB finished 3rd last, 8th last & 9th last (in top 8) in the 3 subsequent seasons (and 5th last, 7th last in the 2 preceding seasons)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Luke Hodge (2001 pick #1) will probably make it into HoF one day but generally, it's probably not surprising as pick #1's with few exceptions nearly always end up in the Club finishing bottom of that year.

Also wondering whether pick #1 has been traded in the past - looks like pick #1 in 1992 was traded by Sydney to WCE, who were the Premiers.

The closest other case is Collingwood in 1999 trading what would have been pick #1 based on their table finishing position (which ended up as #3) to Richmond (Coll had pick #1 but that was a priority pick that year)

Some exceptions of pick #1's not going to bottom club:

* Freo, GC & GWS as startup clubs

* 2007 - #1 went to Carlton (finished 2nd last) as a priority pick

* 2002 - #1 went to StK (finished 2nd last) after Carlton were stripped of picks

* 1996 - #1 went to WCE as compo for losing Downsborough to Port (WCE finished 4th - 13th last - in 1996)

* 1995 - #1 went to Freo, not sure why as they finished 4th last (startup concession?).

* With Cooney, WB finished 3rd last, 8th last & 9th last (in top 8) in the 3 subsequent seasons (and 5th last, 7th last in the 2 preceding seasons)
Trent Croad traded to Freo by the Hawks for Pick 1 wasn't he.

Edit : details here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Croad

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would we do that while they are both under contract, Adelaide have almost certainly the highest draft pick we've ever had that Gold Coast would want as a non negotiable for either player and likely more considering what picks they used originally....to put it mildly GC would have us over a barrel. Now next season's end if either of them are still uncontracted and unconditionally want out it would be Adelaide that holds the upper hand in negotiations and unless we turn to crap in 2020 we wouldn't need to give up near as much collateral either.
Maybe. But the risk is then that port might also go really hard for them then and if they can offer more than us and they have shown themselves very willing to sell the farm to get what they want, we might miss out and personally i want both of them at our club because quite simply they are the best junior talent to come out of SA in years

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Maybe. But the risk is then that port might also go really hard for them then and if they can offer more than us and they have shown themselves very willing to sell the farm to get what they want, we might miss out and personally i want both of them at our club because quite simply they are the best junior talent to come out of SA in years
Generally the players name the destination club of their choice and that's where they end up historically as a counter to that.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers

Our trading has changed massively since Reidy took over, 12 for Charlie, 13 and McAdam for Gov, Pick 1 for 19 and 16ish. I have no doubt we will get more than fair if the next Danger happens. He won't give a crap if your other 1st is spoken for, it would be pay up or no deal. Back the Haggis to pick the right man, Back Reidy to get Fair value if it comes to that.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Our trading has changed massively since Reidy took over, 12 for Charlie, 13 and McAdam for Gov, Pick 1 for 19 and 16ish. I have no doubt we will get more than fair if the next Danger happens. He won't give a crap if your other 1st is spoken for, it would be pay up or no deal. Back the Haggis to pick the right man, Back Reidy to get Fair value if it comes to that.
We're still not going to get anywhere close to pick 1 back when he goes back to Melbourne

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Ah well we'll just have to settle for the kid in my avatar I guess, from the less well off region the Latrobe Valley, a resident of Fish Creek and a student at the less refined Lowanna College in Moe/Newborough? ;)
Less refined is an understatement, I went to Lowanna and count myself lucky to have gotten out sometimes 😄

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Traded pick 24 and a future fifth round for pick 28 and what is currently pick 19.

That's extraordinary. Reid had pretty much nailed all his trades.

Back