Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Less refined is an understatement, I went to Lowanna and count myself lucky to have gotten out sometimes 😄
A while ago?

I've heard nothing but good since they upgraded their Sports Department back in 2015 with a focus also on Academic studies....Basically no sport if students fall behind in their grades seems to be working with outstanding results academically and on the sporting fields and courts?

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting fact - Only 3 Clubs have never had Pick 1 Adelaide, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

Another interesting fact no No.1 Pick has made it into the AFL Hall Of Fame as yet and only 1 player Adam Cooney has won a Brownlow.

The last 8 Pick 1's have all been from the Victorian TAC System.

So in conclusion, frequent wooden spooners have poor recruiting/development teams? ;)

Interesting fact - Only 3 Clubs have never had Pick 1 Adelaide, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

Another interesting fact no No.1 Pick has made it into the AFL Hall Of Fame as yet and only 1 player Adam Cooney has won a Brownlow.

The last 8 Pick 1's have all been from the Victorian TAC System.

Yeah, I reckon Reiwoldt and Hodge might be decent bets to go into the hall at some stage.

So in conclusion, frequent wooden spooners have poor recruiting/development teams? ;)

Not even- it's a stat that sounds impressive but isnt as it's predicated upon pretty much the entirety of the modern draft era not being eligible yet.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
A while ago?

I've heard nothing but good since they upgraded their Sports Department back in 2015 with a focus also on Academic studies....Basically no sport if students fall behind in their grades seems to be working with outstanding results academically and on the sporting fields and courts?
I was being a bit cheeky, it's a great school just a bit rough around the edges.
The sports program has been a revelation from all reports and had the school reach elite levels in national basketball a year or two ago from memory.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
and there is in a nutshell why we should use the pick as part of a package to try and get Luko and Rankine back as our 1st option - they are SA lads, both were crows fans and should be career players with us once we got them...oh and add to that they are ridiculously talented

My thoughts are consider it and then say no thanks. The No1 pick will be a champ if we do our due diligence . Luko and Rankine can be done in another trade if we have the currency. I doubt we could get both. We have to pay massive overs to get them contracted. I would never trade pick 1 to Collingwood for Grundy. Its more about not making your key rivals stronger. They will be able to in sort, replace him and we would max out our cap truing to get him. Let Collingwood max their cap out. They have a few player coming into contracts in next 2 years.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My thoughts are consider it and then say no thanks. The No1 pick will be a champ if we do our due diligence . Luko and Rankine can be done in another trade if we have the currency. I doubt we could get both. We have to pay massive overs to get them contracted. I would never trade pick 1 to Collingwood for Grundy. Its more about not making your key rivals stronger. They will be able to in sort, replace him and we would max out our cap truing to get him. Let Collingwood max their cap out. They have a few player coming into contracts in next 2 years.
Yeah, give Collingwood pick #1 (Stocker or Anderson) ... what great idea, they could do with some help.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been thinking about how the club would look at this opportunity.

They have three choices:
(1) Keep the pick and draft the best talent​
(2) Use the pick in a trade for existing talent​
(3) Use the pick to setup for future drafts​

I reckon option (2) is a possibility. If we had pick 1 or 2 last year ... I reckon Hamish have taken Luko. That rating would not have downgraded would it? We might have the pick that starts the conversation this time around.

There are also some good out of contract players in the mix this year, and if we can use someone like Jenkins as extra bait maybe we can do something that involves a bit older player that gives us a quick payback?

I've been firmly in the option (1) group, but I've gotta say that there will be a lot of options on the table if we fluke pick 1 out of all this :)

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Yeah, give Collingwood pick #1 (Stocker or Anderson) ... what great idea, they could do with some help.
Do you mean Rowell or Anderson?

It did get me thinking though. Could we offer 1 and 19 to Carlton for Liam Stocker?

I mean, he's got that extra year of development in him ;-)

LOLOLOL

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you mean Rowell or Anderson?

It did get me thinking though. Could we offer 1 and 19 to Carlton for Liam Stocker?

I mean, he's got that extra year of development in him ;-)

LOLOLOL
That’s the thing, if they kept their pick and it was 1-2 and we came to them with Stocker and say pick 12, they would have told us to get off the drugs.

CH Jazz

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m assuming we’ll have pick 1-3 and I can only think of two outcomes I’d be happy with. Either take the best talent on the table or trade the pick for two high first rounders.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been thinking about this a bit ... but surely the use of this super low pick comes down to a simple choice.

Either we think the talent available at the pick is better than Lukosius, or we think Lukosius will be too expensive to get.

I'm pretty sure that Hamish had Luko at the #1 spot last year for us, so what has changed? If we believe as a club that Luko is the best of the 2018 class ... then the only things that would stop you from targeting him this year would be the cost or we think Rowell/Anderson are better prospects.

I'm not sure that we are after anyone in the "established star" category OR that we want to split the pick into two lesser picks at the risk of missing out on the absolute elite talent - so surely it comes down to a pretty simple equation?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been thinking about this a bit ... but surely the use of this super low pick comes down to a simple choice.

Either we think the talent available at the pick is better than Lukosius, or we think Lukosius will be too expensive to get.

I'm pretty sure that Hamish had Luko at the #1 spot last year for us, so what has changed? If we believe as a club that Luko is the best of the 2018 class ... then the only things that would stop you from targeting him this year would be the cost or we think Rowell/Anderson are better prospects.

I'm not sure that we are after anyone in the "established star" category OR that we want to split the pick into two lesser picks at the risk of missing out on the absolute elite talent - so surely it comes down to a pretty simple equation?
The club would be negligent if it did not put it out there that for the right price, pick 1 (should we get it) is up for trade. It would be interesting to see what sort of offers from clubs would come our way. We can then make a final decision on whether to trade it or take it to the draft

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
The club would be negligent if it did not put it out there that for the right price, pick 1 (should we get it) is up for trade. It would be interesting to see what sort of offers from clubs would come our way. We can then make a final decision on whether to trade it or take it to the draft
That feels like a passive strategy to me. I'd prefer we went out and got what we wanted.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Back