Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Anderson could play a similar role to Jordan De Goey up forward if required as well as midfield.

Dylan Williams could be the sleeper if he lives up to the promise he showed in 2018, slightly underwhelming thus far this season but if he performs at the Championships and in the back end of the season he could fly up the rankings with a bang.Highly skilled, highly talented.
Big fan of Dylan Williams

Hope he’s not the next Ben Lennon but I think he’s got more talent

A better version of Bailey Fritsch is what I expect

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
IIRC didnt SOS want three 1sts for Pick 1 ???

Now if something like that landed in our lap you definitely would consider the options. In terms of rebuilding, that would take a solid 3 years to acquire.

It’ll certainly be interesting how we play it, especially if we do have the number 1 pick. There would be more than a few Victorian clubs gushing over Rowell and Anderson. As I read it both Dylan Stephens, Cam Taheny and Will Gould are shaping as SA based potential top 5/10 picks, do we look to clean up from a local front, rather than putting the eggs in a Rowell/Anderson basket, where Anderson sounds a significant flight risk and Rowell sounds quality, but with the Crouch brothers, Jones and McHenry playing similar roles, are we better off diversifying? Stephens offers a more outside leaning mid, Taheny that classy, potential match winning half forward cum mid and Gould a potential long term key tall.

History says a few things, whilst the number 1 pick is generally quality, it’s rarely the best player in the draft. Hamish generally nails his 1st rounders and has repeatedly picked up better players in the teens than were selected at one.

Now the players mentioned above are probably more just vague examples at this stage, but it’s an interesting discussion as to how best to use pick 1.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’ll certainly be interesting how we play it, especially if we do have the number 1 pick. There would be more than a few Victorian clubs gushing over Rowell and Anderson. As I read it both Dylan Stephens, Cam Taheny and Will Gould are shaping as SA based potential top 5/10 picks, do we look to clean up from a local front, rather than putting the eggs in a Rowell/Anderson basket, where Anderson sounds a significant flight risk and Rowell sounds quality, but with the Crouch brothers, Jones and McHenry playing similar roles, are we better off diversifying? Stephens offers a more outside leaning mid, Taheny that classy, potential match winning half forward cum mid and Gould a potential long term key tall.

History says a few things, whilst the number 1 pick is generally quality, it’s rarely the best player in the draft. Hamish generally nails his 1st rounders and has repeatedly picked up better players in the teens than were selected at one.

Now the players mentioned above are probably more just vague examples at this stage, but it’s an interesting discussion as to how best to use pick 1.
Even if we do end up with pick #1 and decide we want to trade down for two or more mid-r1 picks, it wont be easy to do that, I think.

Obviously getting the first one is easy but the second one would be hard, the third one even harder. GC have #2 & #13 but they're probably unlikely to be interested, GWS is the only other club with 2 firsts (#7 & #16) and have their own problems getting their Academy player and more.

So getting 2 or 3 r1 picks for #1 will need to involve two or more clubs. Maybe if there was a big name player changing clubs maybe we could get involved and dig out a mid-r1 pick somehow.

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
I think after we watch Rowell/Anderson tomorrow many of us will not bother with trying to trade pick 1 for multiple first rounders.

We need elite talent. Elite, not workmanlike talent. We have too many first rounders in itself sitting in the 2s.
Sure you can trade out a pick 10 and a player for a higher first rounder.
But * trading out pick 1.
We’d be stupid to even think of doing this.

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
Number 1 priority has to be a Dangerfield/Shiel type player.

I know very little about Rowell or Anderson, but from memory one is a Matt Crouch type player and if so they would add little to no upside to our midfield mix.
I dunno.
Can Matt Crouch do this?

The other is a forward/midfield 190cm prototype

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dunno.
Can Matt Crouch do this?

The other is a forward/midfield 190cm prototype

It is highschool level, Rowell and Anderson no doubt look like guns, but put the SA boys at that level instead of playing against men in the SANFL and would they do similar?

U18 champs will give us a better guide. Stephens, Taheny and Gould appears to be putting up some really good numbers at SANFL league level, at this stage of the year that’s really impressive

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I know very little about Rowell or Anderson, but I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that one is a Matt Crouch type player and if so would it be worth drafting him?
Neither Dangerfield or Shiel WERE pick one.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think after we watch Rowell/Anderson tomorrow many of us will not bother with trying to trade pick 1 for multiple first rounders.

We need elite talent. Elite, not workmanlike talent. We have too many first rounders in itself sitting in the 2s.
Sure you can trade out a pick 10 and a player for a higher first rounder.
But **** trading out pick 1.
We’d be stupid to even think of doing this.
Agree but i would think that upgrading our pick 19 to a low teens pick or even late top 10 pick might be worth it to grab a talent like taheny who looks a real gem. If that was at all on the radar then GWS might be that team as the 'pick 7' they currently have could be absorbed if a team above bids on their academy player who is very highly rated. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders like 19 and 30 for 7 might do it for them?

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I know very little about Rowell or Anderson, but I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that one is a Matt Crouch type player and if so would it be worth drafting him?
From what I've heard Rowell is a couple of levels above a Matt crouch. Also different traits.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not talking about the stoppage work. Don’t care what level it is.
Have a look at the explosiveness.
Matt doesn’t have that, none of our midfielders have that explosiveness.

You're always going to look faster against lower grade opponents because they'll be slower on average.

Back