2003 - pick 14: Fergus Watts
2001 - pick 12: Brent Reilly
2000 - pick 7: Lawrence Angwin

Those were the days...
2004 - pick 8: John Meeson
2003 - pick 14: Fergus Watts
2001 - pick 12: Brent Reilly
2000 - pick 7: Lawrence Angwin
2002 - Didn't we trade pick 2 and 20 to Kangaroos for Wayne Carey and told Matthew Pavlich thanks but no thanks?!

Paid pick12 for Scott Thompson.

We traded Tyson Stenglein to WCE for picks 12 and 29. We traded pick 12 to Mebourne and picked Chad Gibson with pick 29 from Norwood. Chad never played a game for us.

Gibson was yet another failed attempt to find a KPF in those days. We failed miserably for years.

Gibson was yet another failed attempt to find a KPF in those days. We failed miserably for years.
Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?

2002 - Didn't we trade pick 2 and 20 to Kangaroos for Wayne Carey and told Matthew Pavlich thanks but no thanks?!

Yes we did overpay after the VFL changed our trade due to Bloos tanking fine. Original trade for sugar was pick 4 and Jason Torney. That pick 4 became pick2. We were committed to Carey at that stage. Both Crows and Tigers said the trade would not have gone ahead if they had known about the sanctions coming. Pav maintains he was thinking Pear moreso than us. Nevertheless we had also approached him.
More VFL House crap under Dimwit to screw us. UGH, hate them all with a passion.

Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?

Nick Gill. Came down to Gill and Westhoff. Went with the older lad. Gill, great mark but couldn't kick for sh#t. Hoff really good career.

Nick Gill. Came down to Gill and Westhoff. Went with the older lad. Gill, great mark but couldn't kick for sh#t. Hoff really good career.
But Hoff couldn't kick for s**t in front of goal either

Expectations should be really high here, Hope he's not coming home thinking this will be an easy ride.
First round pick in a super draft and has spent 2 yrs learning his craft with a group of very good (elite) mids.
He looks fit and ready to go, yeah we paid very little to get him in terms of draft picks but that doesn't reflect the output that should be demanded of him.
We now have 3 first rounders from the super draft it's time for these guys to step up.

Proven to be the better player though. Didn't miss multiple times from 10-15 metres dead in front, like Gill did.
To be fair, Nick Gill showed signs of potential greatness, just never lived up to it. I can see why the Crows recruited him at the time.

I saw him tear an SANFL game apart live for the Roosters (I think it was against Sturt, but not sure). He produced the most unbelievable sequence of game breaking plays that I’ve ever seen. It was astounding.

I thought he was going to be a star, lol.

I also saw him play guitar in a pub beer garden after, so...guess not.

To be fair, Nick Gill showed signs of potential greatness, just never lived up to it. I can see why the Crows recruited him at the time.

I saw him tear an SANFL game apart live for the Roosters (I think it was against Sturt, but not sure). He produced the most unbelievable sequence of game breaking plays that I’ve ever seen. It was astounding.

I thought he was going to be a star, lol.

I also saw him play guitar in a pub beer garden after, so...guess not.

I remember that game (Rooster fan) but he just wasn't a reliable kick for goal. He came across from 2 stints on 2 Vic team's rookie lists and played 8 games for Melbourne I think it was.
These days he co hosts the brekkie show on radio in Newcastle. Made radio his career after footy.

The Hoff would have been a better choice. Still thems the breaks in a recruiter's life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expectations should be really high here, Hope he's not coming home thinking this will be an easy ride.
First round pick in a super draft and has spent 2 yrs learning his craft with a group of very good (elite) mids.
He looks fit and ready to go, yeah we paid very little to get him in terms of draft picks but that doesn't reflect the output that should be demanded of him.
We now have 3 first rounders from the super draft it's time for these guys to step up.
Let's keep things in perspective a bit here. If people are expecting Hatley to come in and be consistent midfielder who wins the ball 20+ times a game and be one of our prime movers next year......well settle down please.

The kid has played 13 AFL games. That is SFA. Hately, like the rest of our list requires development and a lot of it.

Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?

The Ferg?

Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?

Scott stevens.

Mark stevens also, but consider him a hit that was unlucky with injury

Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?

Don't forget Meesen and Sellar. Although I'm still not sure whether they were supposed to be rucks or forwards.

Josh Kreuger as well.

Scott stevens.

If we're going to include players who were recruited as forwards, but ended up finding a place in defence, you may as well throw in Rutten and Bock as well.

Let's keep things in perspective a bit here. If people are expecting Hatley to come in and be consistent midfielder who wins the ball 20+ times a game and be one of our prime movers next year......well settle down please.

The kid has played 13 AFL games. That is SFA. Hately, like the rest of our list requires development and a lot of it.

Hately is up to his 3rd preseason now (so his body should beginning to take shape now), and came into the system with a pretty advanced inside game (i.e. he was one of the most ready to go player in the the 2018 draft). Winning the ball 20+ times is firmly par this season and really, I'm comfortable if the expectation got pushed out to 23-25 disposals/4 clearances/5 tackles/5 marks as a rough par (which is roughly around the mark for an average inside midfielder). Hately has already shown the ability to rack up the ball decently well when played out of position (extrapolate up to a full game from the shortened version and Hately averaged 17.8 disposals out of position), tore apart the NEAFL in 2019 and will be getting a lot of inside minutes as he effectively replaces Brad.

If Hately is struggling to make 20 disposals regularly by the end of 2021 without either really high impact, or an obvious reason (i.e. injury, or we moved him forward), then we should be beginning to look at what our plan B is.

Last edited:
Hately is up to his 3rd preseason now (so his body should beginning to take shape now), and came into the system with a pretty advanced inside game (i.e. he was one of the most ready to go player in the the 2018 draft). Winning the ball 20+ times is firmly par this season and really, I'm comfortable if the expectation got pushed out to 23-25 disposals/4 clearances/5 tackles/5 marks as a rough par (which is roughly around the mark for an average inside midfielder). Hately has already shown the ability to rack up the ball decently well when played out of position (extrapolate up to a full game from the shortened version and Hately averaged 17.8 disposals out of position), tore apart the NEAFL in 2019 and will be getting a lot of inside minutes as he effectively replaces Brad.

If Hately is struggling to make 20 disposals regularly by the end of 2021 without either really high impact, or an obvious reason (i.e. injury, or we moved him forward), then we should be beginning to look at what our plan B is.
13 AFL games!

It is not about physical preparation, body size, strength etc. It is also about experience and that is something that you cannot buy. When he played those 13 games for GWS he practically got no attention from the opposition. He needs to get comfortable with the intensity, speed etc. of a full time midfield role at AFL level. That is not something that you can realistically get in 13 AFL games. Hately may be a long term replacement for Brad but he sure as hell is not replacing the loss of Brad's production in 2021. That is just simply unrealistic.

13 AFL games!

It is not about physical preparation, body size, strength etc. It is also about experience and that is something that you cannot buy. When he played those 13 games for GWS he practically got no attention from the opposition. He needs to get comfortable with the intensity, speed etc. of a full time midfield role at AFL level. That is not something that you can realistically get in 13 AFL games. Hately may be a long term replacement for Brad but he sure as hell is not replacing the loss of Brad's production in 2021. That is just simply unrealistic.
All depends on how you define production

Hately might get less touches but more value for touches

I will continue to debate strongly that Brad's level of production did not translate to actual impact on games

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But he has had or will have had 3 AFL preseasons by the time he runs out in a crows top for his 1st game with usso physically he should be thereabouts

Evan Hewitt
Chad Gibson
Daniel Schell
Ryan Fitzgerald

Who have I missed?
Adam Richardson

Sort of agree, but there’s a touch more to it than just being physically ready, though.

13 AFL games!

It's all about physical development and how advanced someones tools are. Afterall that dictates how capable they are. It's why you see kids step up into the big leagues seamlessly without any experience. Its why you see players who came into the system underdeveloped take 2-4 years to finally look like they belong.

13 AFL games means jack s**t in terms of Hatelys expectations. He won't fully replace the loss (not until 2022 at any rate) but the par for someone of Hatelys makeup right now is an average inside midfielder at this league. Its time for Jackson to live up to the advanced billing and considering that he's so far passed everything with flying colors, it should be expected he gets there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back