• Horne-Francis

Votes: 227 92.7%
  • Callaghan

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a members Q&A. I'm not faulting the media team for answering our questions.
Our media team are awesome
It wont just be from us members.
Every interview they do with any media outlet will ask JHF questions.
Its part of being the number 1 pick.
CCJ is lucky he came in this year in a way.
Otherwise we would have 5 CCJ articles before next season.
Was listening to SEN yesterday and they had the Panthers coach on.
Pretty sure he's sick of people asking about JHF too.
Reckon he almost said at one point 'hey I coach other players too'

AFL Draft 2021: Experienced Roos recruiter rates Jason Horne-Francis as best No.1 pick he can remember
North Melbourne threw a mega deal at Dustin Martin a few years ago, only for him to remain a Tiger. Now, the Roos are weeks away from landing their Dusty clone.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

North Melbourne’s experienced recruiter Scott Clayton has labelled South Adelaide wonderkid Jason Horne-Francis “as good as any No. 1 as in any year I can remember”.

The South Australian phenom is all but certain to go to the Kangaroos in next month’s draft, with Horne-Francis on the weekend conceding he is already thinking of himself as a North Melbourne player.

Clayton, who is the Kangaroos’ head of player personnel and has been a recruiter/list manager since 1991, said he was thrilled about the prospect of drafting Horne-Francis with pick 1.

“It’s a big mantle to carry for your whole career and this young man will carry it amazingly well,” Clayton said on an online Kangaroos’ member QandA.

Jason Horne-Francis (middle) has received high praise from an experienced North Melbourne recruiter. Picture: Russell Millard

Jason Horne-Francis (middle) has received high praise from an experienced North Melbourne recruiter. Picture: Russell Millard

“The thing that first jumps out is that he wants to be No 1, I just get that feeling.

“He is as good as any No. 1 as in any year I can remember.”

Horne-Francis’ stellar performances for the Panthers in the SANFL have resulted in him being labelled as a Patrick Dangerfield/Nat Fyfe clone.

Why the hype? Jason Horne-Francis' 2021 SANFL season
Games: 20
Averages
Disposals:
Disposal efficiency: 69.7 per cent
Contested possessions: 8.8
Marks: 4
Clearances: 3.1
Tackles: 4.2
Ranking points: 88
Preliminary Final v Glenelg
Disposals: 24
Contested possessions: 18
Clearances: 11
Goals: 3
Score involvements: 10
Ranking points: 160

Clayton said there were some other greats of the game that Horne-Francis shared attributes with.

“I don’t necessarily want to compare him to a player but he has the attributes of a (Michael) Voss and (Patrick) Dangerfield with that power and endurance combination that a lot of those great players have,” he said.

“Dusty Martin being another one.

“He certainly has that as well as courage, he is very forthright, he is assertive.

“He has everything, we meticulously rate and mark characteristics... and he is just a really exciting talent.”

But Clayton said it was some other aspects that had the Roos extremely excited about Horne-Francis.

Clayton said Horne-Francis possesses the power-endurance traits of Patrick Dangerfield. Picture: Paul KaneGetty Images)

Clayton said Horne-Francis possesses the power-endurance traits of Patrick Dangerfield. Picture: Paul KaneGetty Images)

“The thing that stands out above all that is that he is just a great teammate, that appeals to us more than anything,” he said.

“Everywhere you go, who do you respect the most as a teammate it is just him and also what came through loud and clear is how loyal he is.

“He is really looking forward to stamping himself as a professional athlete... it is a very exciting prospect.”

Kangaroos general manager football Brady Rawlings also confirmed that ex-Adelaide Crow Tom Lynch would be added to North’s rookie list.

Lynch had agreed to become a development coach at the Roos after he was not offered a new deal with the Crows and the 31-year-old will also be a player at his new club.

Kangaroos list manager Glenn Luff said this would help the development of younger players.

“From the forward line point of view it’s probably our youngest line across the ground and to have someone like Tom and his experience and to have that coaching while playing is valuable,” he said.

AFL Draft 2021: Experienced Roos recruiter rates Jason Horne-Francis as best No.1 pick he can remember
North Melbourne threw a mega deal at Dustin Martin a few years ago, only for him to remain a Tiger. Now, the Roos are weeks away from landing their Dusty clone.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

North Melbourne’s experienced recruiter Scott Clayton has labelled South Adelaide wonderkid Jason Horne-Francis “as good as any No. 1 as in any year I can remember”.

The South Australian phenom is all but certain to go to the Kangaroos in next month’s draft, with Horne-Francis on the weekend conceding he is already thinking of himself as a North Melbourne player.

Clayton, who is the Kangaroos’ head of player personnel and has been a recruiter/list manager since 1991, said he was thrilled about the prospect of drafting Horne-Francis with pick 1.

“It’s a big mantle to carry for your whole career and this young man will carry it amazingly well,” Clayton said on an online Kangaroos’ member QandA.

“The thing that first jumps out is that he wants to be No 1, I just get that feeling.

Horne-Francis’ stellar performances for the Panthers in the SANFL have resulted in him being labelled as a Patrick Dangerfield/Nat Fyfe clone.

Averages
Disposals:

Clayton said there were some other greats of the game that Horne-Francis shared attributes with.

“I don’t necessarily want to compare him to a player but he has the attributes of a (Michael) Voss and (Patrick) Dangerfield with that power and endurance combination that a lot of those great players have,” he said.

“He certainly has that as well as courage, he is very forthright, he is assertive.

“He has everything, we meticulously rate and mark characteristics... and he is just a really exciting talent.”

But Clayton said it was some other aspects that had the Roos extremely excited about Horne-Francis.

“The thing that stands out above all that is that he is just a great teammate, that appeals to us more than anything,” he said.

“Everywhere you go, who do you respect the most as a teammate it is just him and also what came through loud and clear is how loyal he is.

“He is really looking forward to stamping himself as a professional athlete... it is a very exciting prospect.”

Kangaroos general manager football Brady Rawlings also confirmed that ex-Adelaide Crow Tom Lynch would be added to North’s rookie list.

Lynch had agreed to become a development coach at the Roos after he was not offered a new deal with the Crows and the 31-year-old will also be a player at his new club.

Kangaroos list manager Glenn Luff said this would help the development of younger players.

“From the forward line point of view it’s probably our youngest line across the ground and to have someone like Tom and his experience and to have that coaching while playing is valuable,” he said.

“Dusty Martin being another one."

So Voss, Dangerfield,and Martin? No pressure or expectation at all.

You would say that cunners is just a consistent beast and will always get things done. While I would say that Cunners can do things few in the AFL can, I wouldn't say he is a mercurial match-winner, more of a consistent gun.

TT has had moments, LDU too. I don't think we have seen these two off the chain yet.
Cunnington is a matchwinner all be it not necessarily mercurial. The game we came back from 4 goals down and pumped godees a few years back was purely by the hands of Cunnington.

Herald sun can’t get enough of JHF

Buzzing over Hornet

KANGAROOS recruiter Scott Clayton has labelled South Adelaide teenager Jason Horne-Francis “as good as any No.1 as in any year I can remember”.

The SA star is all but certain to go to the Roos in next month’s draft, with Horne- Francis conceding he is already thinking of himself as a North Melbourne player.

Clayton, head of player personnel and a recruiter/list manager since 1991, was thrilled about the prospect of drafting Horne-Francis.

“It’s a big mantle to carry for your whole career and this young man will carry it amazingly well,” Clayton said on an online Kangaroos’ member Q&A.

“He is as good as any No.1 as in any year I can remember … he has the attributes of a (Michael) Voss and (Patrick) Dangerfield with that power and endurance combination that a lot of those great players have.”

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

Averages
Disposals:

Very nice. But it’s “wunderkind”, Nate.

Alright, threw this together in about 30 minutes. It's not perfect, but it'll be an impression on where my thoughts are regarding this draft class.

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Nick Daicos
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
7 - Josh Gibcus
8 - Mac Andrew
9 - Sam Darcy
12 - Matthew Johnson
13 - Jacob Van Rooyen
14 - Ben Hobbs
15 - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
16 - Tom Brown
17 - Jye Amiss
20 - Matt Roberts
21 - Tyler Sonsie
22 - Jack Williams
23 - Zac Taylor
24 - Arlo Draper
25 - Leek Aleer
28 - Judson Clarke
29 - Lewis Rayson
30 - Ned Long
31 - Mitch Knevitt
34 - Blake Howes
35 - Sam Butler
36 - Arthur Brown
39 - Lachlan Rankin
40 - Noah Gribble
41 - Jesse Motlop
42 - Oscar Morrison
43 - Toby Conway
44 - Josh Browne
45 - Joel Fitzgerald
48 - Noah Gadsby
49 - Josh Fahey
50 - Jase Burgoyne
51 - Isaiah Dudley

EDIT: Made some minor positional adjustments in tier 1 and 2.

EDIT 2: Missed Arthur Brown so I slotted him in.

Last edited:
Alright, threw this together in about 30 minutes. It's not perfect, but it'll be an impression on where my thoughts are regarding this draft class.

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Nick Daicos
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
7 - Josh Gibcus
8 - Mac Andrew
9 - Sam Darcy
12 - Josh Rachele
13 - Jacob Van Rooyen
14 - Jye Amiss
15 - Ben Hobbs
16 - Tom Brown
17 - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
20 - Matt Roberts
21 - Tyler Sonsie
22 - Jack Williams
23 - Zac Taylor
24 - Arlo Draper
25 - Leek Aleer
28 - Judson Clarke
29 - Lewis Rayson
30 - Ned Long
31 - Mitch Knevitt
34 - Blake Howes
35 - Sam Butler
36 - Cooper Murley
39 - Noah Gribble
40 - Jesse Motlop
41 - Oscar Morrison
42 - Toby Conway
43 - Josh Browne
44 - Joel Fitzgerald
47 - Noah Gadsby
48 - Josh Fahey
49 - Jase Burgoyne
50 - Isaiah Dudley
Thanks mate. Appreciate the effort.
:)

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Nick Daicos
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
7 - Josh Gibcus
8 - Mac Andrew
9 - Sam Darcy
12 - Josh Rachele
13 - Jacob Van Rooyen
14 - Jye Amiss
15 - Ben Hobbs
16 - Tom Brown
17 - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
20 - Matt Roberts
21 - Tyler Sonsie
22 - Jack Williams
23 - Zac Taylor
24 - Arlo Draper
25 - Leek Aleer
28 - Judson Clarke
29 - Lewis Rayson
30 - Ned Long
31 - Mitch Knevitt
34 - Blake Howes
35 - Sam Butler
36 - Cooper Murley
39 - Noah Gribble
40 - Jesse Motlop
41 - Oscar Morrison
42 - Toby Conway
43 - Josh Browne
44 - Joel Fitzgerald
47 - Noah Gadsby
48 - Josh Fahey
49 - Jase Burgoyne
50 - Isaiah Dudley
Dudley at 50?
Thought he was rated a bit higher than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tier 1
1 - Jason Horne
4 - Nick Daicos
5 - Josh Sinn
6 - Neil Erasmus
7 - Josh Gibcus
8 - Mac Andrew
9 - Sam Darcy
12 - Matthew Johnson
13 - Jacob Van Rooyen
14 - Ben Hobbs
15 - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
16 - Tom Brown
17 - Jye Amiss
20 - Matt Roberts
21 - Tyler Sonsie
22 - Jack Williams
23 - Zac Taylor
24 - Arlo Draper
25 - Leek Aleer
28 - Judson Clarke
29 - Lewis Rayson
30 - Ned Long
31 - Mitch Knevitt
34 - Blake Howes
35 - Sam Butler
36 - Cooper Murley
39 - Noah Gribble
40 - Jesse Motlop
41 - Oscar Morrison
42 - Toby Conway
43 - Josh Browne
44 - Joel Fitzgerald
47 - Noah Gadsby
48 - Josh Fahey
49 - Jase Burgoyne
50 - Isaiah Dudley

EDIT: Made some minor positional adjustments in tier 1 and 2.
At first glance I was wondering why Daicos would slip to 4.
Then I realized it would be Adelaide bidding, which they do every year.
Makes sense.

Souup - if you had to pick 1 player out who you've ranked lower but have a slight feeling if it all came together could be a boom prospect who would it be?

I'm talking the type of value bet who isn't a smokie but slip into the 20-40 range and ends up defying their draft position.

eg - Fyfe, Hanneberry, Parker

Souup - if you had to pick 1 player out who you've ranked lower but have a slight feeling if it all came together could be a boom prospect who would it be?

I'm talking the type of value bet who isn't a smokie but slip into the 20-40 range and ends up defying their draft position.

hard to answer, i guess you never know which candidate will fall to that range until he does.

I tend to rate these sort of high upside w/ question mark guys higher than others naturally. This is why I've been big on guys like Goater, Erasmus, Wilmot basically from the beginning of the season.

The easiest way to answer this question is to mention guys I have closer to 20 than 40, but just to make it interesting, I really like the potential upside in guys like Ned Long, Jai Serong and Blake Howes.

The only reason I have Ned Long this low is because he may have only performed as well as he did in his 3 NAB League games this year due to his size. If we're rating players purely based on output per game this year, he's a top 15 lock. But in drafting, you need to take into account things like scope for development, which he doesn't have as much room for due to being a big size already (193cm, 93kg). There's a chance he adjusts to AFL-level as a big bodied mid with no issues and teams lament the fact they passed up on him despite him being so impressive.

Jai Serong has a ton of potential with his athletic traits, he still has room to improve in his endurance (this for me, is a key trait in unearthing potential in players. Players that have poor endurance but put in excellent performances and/or have very good athletic traits otherwise are a goldmine for hidden talent. You can make great strides improving endurance, speed, agility and leap, not so easy). He's got an excellent leap mixed with solid speed and very good agility. At ~192cm and 80kg, I think he has the potential to be that Nat Fyfe type if he puts in the hard yards. Played mostly high half-forward this year but would love to see him run through the midfield.

Blake Howes is an excellent athlete too who's been overshadowed by the amount of talent at Sandringham. I think he has potential to become a very damaging winger/half forward at AFL level with his 190cm height and sub 2.95 20m sprint. Would love to see him given a run as an on-baller too which he didn't really get the chance to do this year.

Last edited:

North won’t bid on Daicos, Darcy with top pick
Jake Niall

By Jake Niall
October 21, 2021 — 12.19pm

North Melbourne will not bid at pick No.1 on either Collingwood’s feted father-son Nick Daicos or Western Bulldogs’ father-son recruit Sam Darcy, in what will be a small relief for the Magpies and Bulldogs.

Sources have confirmed that North will call out the name of Jason Horne-Francis at pick one – the club’s choice an open secret in recruiting circles – and the Kangaroos want their first pick, a gifted inside and outside midfielder from South Australia, to know that they rate him as the best player in the draft.

The Magpies have already been told that North will not bid on Daicos, but sources at AFL clubs said they had not received any such guarantee from Greater Western Sydney, who have also indicated interest in drafting a tall at that choice – a positional need that clubs believe make it more likely that the Giants will place a bid for 203-centimetre Darcy, the son of ex-star ruckman Luke Darcy, at pick two.

If the Giants do not bid for Daicos at pick two or three (they can bid for more than one player under the system), then it appears likely that Gold Coast will bid on the son of Collingwood great Peter Daicos with the Suns’ first pick (No.3 or No.4, depending on whether there is a bid for Darcy).

Horne-Francis has been a standout for South Adelaide this year, with the ability to win the ball in the midfield trenches, play outside the contest and kick goals when stationed forward.

Many recruiters rate him as best player in the pool, though there are others who have Daicos as the best, in a draft that has been rendered difficult to assess due to the lack of under-19 games in Victoria compared to SA and Western Australia.

As pick one in the national draft, Horne-Francis would also be entitled to $20,000 from the AFL sponsor NAB as the first player drafted; last year, the NAB payment was split between key forwards Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Riley Thilthorpe after Adelaide bid on the former, a next generation academy player tied to the Bulldogs, and drafted Thilthorpe at pick two.

Collingwood have assembled 2406 draft points in their first seven draft picks, enough to match a bid at pick No.1 (2400, counting the 20 per cent discount). If the bid for Daicos comes in at pick No.4 from the Suns, the Magpies would need 1627 points, a scenario that would allow them to do further pick swaps.

Collingwood hold picks 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 55 and 58, along with 78 and 79, but they may not utilise those later choices. The Magpies are certain to be involved in further pick swaps during the draft, as their draft picks are consumed by the Daicos bid, given that they hold three future third-rounders.

The order of picks for all clubs changes after bids for academy or father-sons land.

The Bulldogs need 2013 points to match a bid at pick No.2 for Darcy without going into deficit. The Dogs have picks 23, 43, 44, 52 and 93 – and those five picks would be sufficient to match that hypothetical bid.

North have already spurned significant offers for pick one and the rights to Horne-Francis, with the Crows offering their 2021 and 2022 first-rounders and Melbourne’s future first, for pick one and North’s 2022 second choice in return.

Horne-Francis, who is the stepson of former Melbourne, Brisbane and Port Adelaide player Fabian Francis, has said that it is hard not to see himself as a North Melbourne player “when there is a lot of media stuff about it”.

North won’t bid on Daicos, Darcy with top pick
Jake Niall

By Jake Niall
October 21, 2021 — 12.19pm

North Melbourne will not bid at pick No.1 on either Collingwood’s feted father-son Nick Daicos or Western Bulldogs’ father-son recruit Sam Darcy, in what will be a small relief for the Magpies and Bulldogs.

Sources have confirmed that North will call out the name of Jason Horne-Francis at pick one – the club’s choice an open secret in recruiting circles – and the Kangaroos want their first pick, a gifted inside and outside midfielder from South Australia, to know that they rate him as the best player in the draft.

The Magpies have already been told that North will not bid on Daicos, but sources at AFL clubs said they had not received any such guarantee from Greater Western Sydney, who have also indicated interest in drafting a tall at that choice – a positional need that clubs believe make it more likely that the Giants will place a bid for 203-centimetre Darcy, the son of ex-star ruckman Luke Darcy, at pick two.

If the Giants do not bid for Daicos at pick two or three (they can bid for more than one player under the system), then it appears likely that Gold Coast will bid on the son of Collingwood great Peter Daicos with the Suns’ first pick (No.3 or No.4, depending on whether there is a bid for Darcy).

Horne-Francis has been a standout for South Adelaide this year, with the ability to win the ball in the midfield trenches, play outside the contest and kick goals when stationed forward.

Many recruiters rate him as best player in the pool, though there are others who have Daicos as the best, in a draft that has been rendered difficult to assess due to the lack of under-19 games in Victoria compared to SA and Western Australia.

As pick one in the national draft, Horne-Francis would also be entitled to $20,000 from the AFL sponsor NAB as the first player drafted; last year, the NAB payment was split between key forwards Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Riley Thilthorpe after Adelaide bid on the former, a next generation academy player tied to the Bulldogs, and drafted Thilthorpe at pick two.

Collingwood have assembled 2406 draft points in their first seven draft picks, enough to match a bid at pick No.1 (2400, counting the 20 per cent discount). If the bid for Daicos comes in at pick No.4 from the Suns, the Magpies would need 1627 points, a scenario that would allow them to do further pick swaps.

Collingwood hold picks 36, 38, 40, 46, 48, 55 and 58, along with 78 and 79, but they may not utilise those later choices. The Magpies are certain to be involved in further pick swaps during the draft, as their draft picks are consumed by the Daicos bid, given that they hold three future third-rounders.

The order of picks for all clubs changes after bids for academy or father-sons land.

The Bulldogs need 2013 points to match a bid at pick No.2 for Darcy without going into deficit. The Dogs have picks 23, 43, 44, 52 and 93 – and those five picks would be sufficient to match that hypothetical bid.

North have already spurned significant offers for pick one and the rights to Horne-Francis, with the Crows offering their 2021 and 2022 first-rounders and Melbourne’s future first, for pick one and North’s 2022 second choice in return.

Horne-Francis, who is the stepson of former Melbourne, Brisbane and Port Adelaide player Fabian Francis, has said that it is hard not to see himself as a North Melbourne player “when there is a lot of media stuff about it”.
Bloody collingwood.
Could have had daicos and callaghan this year :tearsofjoy:

Nah, we would've bid.
If we were in that situation, where they had pick 2 in this draft, I doubt we would have bid, unless the Pies were stupid enough to give Daicos a contract in advance like they have in the current situation. We would have run the risk of the Pies not matching and selecting Horne-Francis at 2, if they thought he was worth missing out on Daicos. I think we'd rather Pies getting another free swing at top 10 talent rather than missing out on the player we wanted just to mess with them.

I really hate the way F/S is done at the moment. I feel like teams should be forced to pay a premium to get these players into the club, rather than getting discounts on them.

The whole points system is a ******* debacle.

Back