Votes: 227 92.7%
  • Callaghan

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton is entitled to his view.

Jason set himself the task of being the number one draft pick and he's pretty close to achieving it. I don't mind bringing a kid in that sets his own lofty goals.

Jason set himself the task of being the number one draft pick and he's pretty close to achieving it. I don't mind bringing a kid in that sets his own lofty goals.
Yeah some can handle it and some struggle a tad with it OUR bloke is going to thrive with it. Lets talk him up until the cows come home. Lets let the whole AFL world know what we have.

I think there's a difference between that, which I don't mind at all, and a senior recruiter for the club that's going to draft him publicly saying that they see him as a combo of Voss and Dangerfield or whatever it was.

Yeah some can handle it and some struggle a tad with it OUR bloke is going to thrive with it. Lets talk him up until the cows come home. Lets let the whole AFL world know what we have.
I agree. A lot of carey about him i think. Probably puff his chest out like a pigeon for a bit but i don't think it'd impact his performance whatsoever. He's a gamer. His performance in the prelim said it all.

I think there's a difference between that, which I don't mind at all, and a senior recruiter for the club that's going to draft him publicly saying that they see him as a combo of Voss and Dangerfield or whatever it was.

I guess but it's not the clubs line, it's a veteran recruiter getting excitable. The guys been in the game long enough to see the signs, he got caught out in his own exuberance. I found him more endearing than I thought I would as a result. Comments made now won't make a lick of difference in the long run surely.

I agree. A lot of carey about him i think. Probably puff his chest out like a pigeon for a bit but i don't think it'd impact his performance whatsoever. He's a gamer. His performance in the prelim said it all.
Yeah sure he will like all young blokes have ups and downs yet it is going to be fun watching him in the Blue and White stripes for the next 15 years

Also in regards to the Dangerfield/Voss tags, watch the kid play, what Clayton said is undeniable. He has those traits, which is exactly why he’s rated at #1.

How is it any different to JUH and the Buddy comparisons?
A lot more media and televised exposure in his draft year when the Victorian kids aren’t playing. Comparisons are a bit of fun at the end of the day.

I guess but it's not the clubs line, it's a veteran recruiter getting excitable. The guys been in the game long enough to see the signs, he got caught out in his own exuberance. I found him more endearing than I thought I would as a result. Comments made now won't make a lick of difference in the long run surely.
So I agree that the comments in isolation probably wont have an effect on Jason himself, but it has the effect that it pops up in the media, professional agitators like Cornes bring it up, it's leading the sports bulletins, etc, and as mentally strong as the kid might be, that kind of thing can have an effect. Especially if he has some down form early on or something and then it's just ripe to be brought back up again, if that makes sense. It's just all downside to those comments. I don't think there's anything good that can come out of that sort of stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I agree that the comments in isolation probably wont have an effect on Jason himself, but it has the effect that it pops up in the media, professional agitators like Cornes bring it up, it's leading the sports bulletins, etc, and as mentally strong as the kid might be, that kind of thing can have an effect. Especially if he has some down form early on or something and then it's just ripe to be brought back up again, if that makes sense. It's just all downside to those comments. I don't think there's anything good that can come out of that sort of stuff.

If he starts slowly the nuffies in the media will come for him.
Will have a target on his back but I think he thrives on it.

If he starts slowly the nuffies in the media will come for him.
Will have a target on his back but I think he thrives on it.

They came hard for Phillips & I honestly think that will fuel the fire for WP over this preseason and into the coming years. Like Will, I expect JHF to thrive on it.

This kind of spotlight is just a reality of being a high pick unfortunately. It’s a big reason why the recruiters target competitiveness & drive. Certain kids can handle it.

Clayton said he’s right up there with the no 1 picks in recent memory. That’s just the truth. Doesn’t mean he will be better than Sam Walsh or paddy Mcartin for that matter, but on his pre draft body of work, he’s close to, if not at the top.

And Clayton said he didn’t want to compare him to players but he has danger or boss type attributes. Isn’t that also just a fact? Doesn’t mean he will be as good as them.

JHF has made a bid deal about going no 1, so I’m sure the above comments will have zero impact on him. What they probably do is fuel unrealistic expectations from some supporters.

Clayton said he’s right up there with the no 1 picks in recent memory. That’s just the truth. Doesn’t mean he will be better than Sam Walsh or paddy Mcartin for that matter, but on his pre draft body of work, he’s close to, if not at the top.

And Clayton said he didn’t want to compare him to players but he has danger or boss type attributes. Isn’t that also just a fact? Doesn’t mean he will be as good as them.

JHF has made a bid deal about going no 1, so I’m sure the above comments will have zero impact on him. What they probably do is fuel unrealistic expectations from some supporters.
How many previous pick 1's have spent the last 2 years before getting drafted dominating against men in the state leagues?

The rule regarding picks in draft = available list spots was a good one.

Stopped teams just absolutely loading up on late picks that are equal to the value of a first rounder.

Complete and utter sh*t that it’s gone now.

My position on academies hasn’t changed. They should all be AFL run and every player available to all clubs.

They’re an absolute rort designed to benefit the ‘growth area’ clubs.
The list spots = picks in the draft rule is still in effect, it was only exempt for last year's draft because of Covid.

Collingwood are going to have to do a bunch of delistings/re-rookie moves to fit in Daicos and most likely will have to take 2 or 3 picks in the back end of the draft. Dogs the same.

If anything the rule has worked exactly as it should for Collingwood and the Dogs, both will have to fill their list with late round picks and Rookies to make up for the early bids.

They came hard for Phillips & I honestly think that will fuel the fire for WP over this preseason and into the coming years. Like Will, I expect JHF to thrive on it.

This kind of spotlight is just a reality of being a high pick unfortunately. It’s a big reason why the recruiters target competitiveness & drive. Certain kids can handle it.
JHF will be the best thing that will happen for Will Phillips. You can see Will's a competitive beast and he'll be ignited by the thought that he could be in the kid's shadow. You can't buy that stuff. It's what turns good teams into great teams.

There's pressure on pick 1 regardless, a few articles arent going to make a massive difference in the grand scheme of things.

With that being said, it is Cornes and SEN, so they're trying to milk whatever content they can.
in my mind there is little doubt either richmond or adelaide would have used the 1st pick if we were silly enough to trade it on JHF. wouldnt be any less pressure on him had either of these events transpired, the headlines would just say something like "monster offer 3 first rounder pick one recruit >insert story here <".

LDU same. Moreso even. TT too.
you can defend opposition talent ok until you get to a critical mass where there is just to much talent to contain, footscray did a good job last year of negating some very good midfields with libba leading the way and daniels and co chipping in, godees however with truk on fire, oliver not far behind and bradshaw / Viney in career best form then throw in gawn it becomes just to hard to hold them all down.

Last edited:
Back