• Horne-Francis

Votes: 227 92.7%
  • Callaghan

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the draft at the end of November? Seems unnecessary. Make trade week smaller, do all the testing/camps etc and it’s all wrapped up in October. Gives the young players longer to get their sh*t together and say goodbyes before training starts as well. Most don’t know where they’re going.

Year 12 exams?

Why is the draft at the end of November? Seems unnecessary. Make trade week smaller, do all the testing/camps etc and it’s all wrapped up in October. Gives the young players longer to get their sh*t together and say goodbyes before training starts as well. Most don’t know where they’re going.
I agree, however it always seems like forever for us NM fans because we’re not playing finals..

it used to be a lot earlier, i recall a few years back new recruits going to preseason camps when they were all the rage.

Surely knowing that you've got the draft coming up just adds to the anxiety, wouldn't you be less anxious and have an easier time focusing on exams if you know what your footy fate is?

Conversely, shouldn't they be able to focus on their education without having to worry about a draft in the lead up? Including the disappointment of missing out before the most stressful culmination of years of education?

I'm all for the draft being much earlier, but in hand that means lifting the draft age by a year. 99% of the kids that get drafted are gonna need to nail their exams because this is not a lifetime gig.

Just wondering…..did the Dees have a thread like this the year they drafted Jack Watts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreuzer was another year. It was either Watts or Natanui
I just meant he was a player tagged as a clear #1 ahead of the draft, so someone fans might have got excited about in advance. The Watts year, like most years, it wasn’t clear who would be picked first.

Jack Watts was a reasonably consensus based #1 iirc. Natanui had a bit of hype in his bottom and top age years but there were some question marks over him. Might've been to the effect that he lacked a complete game or a tank and was a collection of highlights at that point.

Watts was this well spoken, private school boy, athletic KPF and his coach commented that he should charge people to watch him train, he's that smooth. He was seen as a very good fit for Melbourne and there wasn't a huge amount of objection in the media at the time.

The lone voice of dissent I recall was a Melbourne supporter mate's dad at the time who would put a hand on my shoulder each time I saw him and (butchering the name each time) bemoan not picking Natanui instead. He seemed to spot it as a **** up from the get-go.

The Kruezer Cup?

#1 picks that had much fanfare imo:

Josh Fraser. Was getting written up for 2-3 years prior as this new age of amazing player. That was before he was even attached to a Collingwood selection.

Luke Ball. Was getting lots of writeups, his family connections to Hawthorn were spruiked as was his intellect. Only trouble was hawks didn't take him.

Adam Cooney. Got a bit of press, Sheedy was hanging around watching him testing like some lolly carrying trenchcoat wearer. Pretty sure * did their obligatory s**t trade attempt (probably offered the dogs a 51yo Paul Van Der Haar) to try and get the pick off them.

Bryce Gibbs. Another one getting written up for 2 years leading in the draft and a BFNAAK as a bonus.

Matthew Kreuzer. Kreuzer Cup as above.

Christian Petracca. Unanimous #1 pick leading into the draft. I remember a saints mate wondering if he seemed a bit too arrogant and it was a fair question. In the end, not a problem they had to deal with.

Cameron Rayner. Lower level of fapping but definitely caught the tailwind of the 2017 Dusty train which lifted his rating a bit.

Did a quick side by side comparison of Twomey and our own Souup, I put the tiers in brackets next to the player.

As you'd expect some rated similarly and others very differently. Love to understand more on each of those as to what they see/don't see etc.

I'm preparing to play draft bingo on Nov 24. I think I'll probably play Souup's card!

TwomeySouup
1Nick Daicos1 - Jason Horne
2Jason Horne2 - Finn Callaghan (T2)
3Sam Darcy3 - Josh Goater
4Finn Callaghan4 - Nick Daicos
5Ben Hobbs5 - Josh Sinn
6Josh Ward6 - Neil Erasmus
7Josh Gibcus7 - Josh Gibcus
8Josh Rachele8 - Mac Andrew
9Mac Andrew9 - Sam Darcy
10Neil Erasmus10 - Darcy Wilmot (T3)
11Jye Amiss11 - Josh Rachele
12Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera12 - Matthew Johnson
13Josh Sinn13 - Jacob Van Rooyen
14Matthew Johnson14 - Ben Hobbs
15Arlo Draper15 - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
16Tyler Sonsie16 - Tom Brown
17Josh Goater17 - Jye Amiss
18Sam Butler18 - Josh Ward (T4)
19Darcy Wilmot19 - Paul Curtis
20Jesse Motlop20 - Matt Roberts
21Jacob Van Rooyen21 - Tyler Sonsie
22Campbell Chesser22 - Jack Williams
23Tom Brown23 - Zac Taylor
24Toby Conway24 - Arlo Draper
25Zac Taylor25 - Leek Aleer
26Josh Fahey26 - Campbell Chesser (T5)
27Matthew Roberts27 - Rhett Bazzo
28Blake Howes28 - Judson Clarke
29Marcus Windhager29 - Lewis Rayson
30Michito Owens30 - Ned Long
31Connor MacDonald31 - Mitch Knevitt
32Mitch Knevett32 - Jai Serong (T6)
33Rhett Bazzo33 - Hugh Jackson
34Jack Williams34 - Blake Howes
35Judson Clarke35 - Sam Butler
36 - Arthur Brown
37 - Cooper Murley (T7)
38 - Brady Hough
39 - Lachlan Rankin
40 - Noah Gribble
41 - Jesse Motlop
42 - Oscar Morrison
43 - Toby Conway
44 - Josh Browne
45 - Joel Fitzgerald
46 - Angus Sheldrick (T8)
47 - Conor McDonald
48 - Noah Gadsby
49 - Josh Fahey
50 - Jase Burgoyne
51 - Isaiah Dudley

Looking at that comparison, Souup appears to be a man with an opinion based upon his own observations whereas Twomey is reading the weather forecast from a teleprompter.

I’ve got no issue with Twomey having Daicos ahead of JHF, it’s a dead heat and if both were available it would be toss of the coin.

What is very obvious throughout the last few years, is that his opinions have gone from his personal views to what he’s fed by recruiters.

The interesting thing about this article though, is that McGowan recently said that 10 out of 12 club recruiters he spoke to, had JHF at 1, so it does seem to go against that narrative. My assumption is click bait which generates discussion, which appears to be successful 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve got no issue with Twomey having Daicos ahead of JHF, it’s a dead heat and if both were available it would be toss of the coin.

What is very obvious throughout the last few years, is that his opinions have gone from his personal views to what he’s fed by recruiters.

The interesting thing about this article though, is that McGowan recently said that 10 out of 12 club recruiters he spoke to, had JHF at 1, so it does seem to go against that narrative. My assumption is click bait which generates discussion, which appears to be successful 🤣🤣🤣

I accept that Daicos vs JHF is a matter of opinion but the rest of Twomey's list compared with Souup's looks very much like a safe bookie's odds for the Melbourne Cup. It's very vanilla.

Back