Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if we keep the pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if we packaged it up or if GCS come to us looking for it. They may make the call that it will be the best return that they can get from us if either luko or rankine wanna come home.
Would be exciting having a pick 1 though.

It would be tough passing up an opportunity to draft a kid like Matt Rowell though, who starred this year as a bottom ager.

Great position for the club to be in

EC, you are better than that, basing future outcomes on what has taken place in the past is flawed and you know it

Like me suggesting that your club will continually yo-yo in and out of finals without ever winning a flag

Perhaps take note of where people had sides like North, WC, Pies finishing this year, before the start of the season
We won the minor premiership with a similar squad & could have won a flag with more luck.

Only reason we yoyoed out of the finals this year was a shocking injury run.

Champion Data have us thereabouts with the supposed 2nd easiest draw. I would be surprised if we were not top 4 & expect to be top 2, playing off for another flag.

We are not an average afl team.

What an in-depth analysis. No matter how many times you use the word "s**t", has no bearing on what the future looks like.

So by stating the Lions only rising to 15th, while only really having Cameron out of their best 22, your bias of our trade seems to have predicted that they will definitely finish above us? Interesting contradiction

Pretty sure this board is open to all supporters? If you want a Crows Only Thread, perhaps ask your Mods to change the title
You would make a great politician, talking alot but not much of it is worth listening to.

I tell you what, if you think you'll have a meteoric rise up the ladder based on trading in a lazy if mercurial forward and getting a HBF back off an ACL then good luck to you.

The problem you will continue to have is the fact your better, most important players are injury prone. The kids you have, whilst talented, dont have enough quality senior players around them to stop massive scores against them.

And your coach is trading on reputation rather than anything tangible.

Itll all depend on where they finish. If Carlton are 16th to 18th I reckon we keep it, if not I would say it goes somewhere for something

I wonder if we keep the pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if we packaged it up or if GCS come to us looking for it. They may make the call that it will be the best return that they can get from us if either luko or rankine wanna come home.

I can’t see them bailing on the path they have chosen to go down after 1 year. Even if Rankine and/or Luko refuse to extend early and it looks like they may leave after 2 years. The only way is if one of them actually requests a trade. As opposed to delaying etc.

We would be talking to their managers and would have a fair idea what’s going on. The tough decision may be if we have pick 1 in 2019 and both kids look like they will come home in 2020. Do we take the pick 1 to the draft and get the best kid of 2019. Or do we try to “slide” pick 1 in 2019 and get an extra first rounder in 2020 in order to pay for Rankine and/or Luko in 2020.

I can’t see them bailing on the path they have chosen to go down after 1 year. Even if Rankine and/or Luko refuse to extend early and it looks like they may leave after 2 years. The only way is if one of them actually requests a trade. As opposed to delaying etc.

We would be talking to their managers and would have a fair idea what’s going on. The tough decision may be if we have pick 1 in 2019 and both kids look like they will come home in 2020. Do we take the pick 1 to the draft and get the best kid of 2019. Or do we try to “slide” pick 1 in 2019 and get an extra first rounder in 2020 in order to pay for Rankine and/or Luko in 2020.
Having Pick 1 in the bank is a wonderful luxury to have. It will be hard to get wrong.
And having first pick of both days in the draft makes me think that there will be some magic happening.

I highly doubt we keep the pick knowing Hamish, however I think it will be how we view next year's crop. I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if we traded it for a mid-round first + a late round first/very early second. Brisbane and Dogs are looking like 2 teams who could satisfy that, but still lots of water to go under the bridge.

However if it's a shallow crop, Hamish may take the chance to grab a seriously elite talent and run for the first time in the club's history.

Having Pick 1 in the bank is a wonderful luxury to have. It will be hard to get wrong.
And having first pick of both days in the draft makes me think that there will be some magic happening.
I can go wrong all the time, when was the last time the very best player in his draft year went at number 1? probably Nick Riewoldt

We've seen Carlton, St.Kilda and Melbourne all completely screw it up.

I can go wrong all the time, when was the last time the very best player in his draft year went at number 1? probably Nick Riewoldt

Yeah, I wonder how much of that is nurture over nature though.
These kids can through extremely talented but as 18yo's they are still in their development arc. When you are dumped into a side that doesn't have a good critical mass of players around that help to teach elite AFL standards and practices they will have their development processes hampered. The inverse works for good clubs. I think that one of our successes has been that once players come here the quality of our playing group provides the necessary support to be able to thrive. When you look at failures like Weitering and Watts it's evident that they are talented, they just don't know how to make AFL work.

I think that we take Pick 1, we have the knowledge and knowhow how to get the best out of them.

See you are so far detached from reality. Case in point, Doc was ready to go round 19, but the decision was made to not risk him. He started a full preseason without restrictions. I won't get into a debate regarding other players or development, due to being purely opinion based.

When analyzing data, best you use all information rather than cherry picking to form a selective view/outcome

Perhaps adding the Demons, who finished 17th in 2013 (2 wins) & 14 (4 wins) 6 wins combined, yet finished 13th in 2015 ( 7 wins), would give more weight to your argument.

Happy to review how both of our sides finish, come the end of the year

When I read this the first time, I was like really, seems early to me.
Very sad for all involved. Great to have in super coach when he was firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't we just trade pick 1 for 3 and 6? Isn't that how it's done?

Nah, Hamish will flip it for two first rounders in 2020. Which he’ll then flip for three first rounders in 2021, to select 2 Tasmanians and a 187cm stick insect who was born on Dover Island before moving to Croatia at the age of 2 and becoming a teenage volleyball sensation.

Goddard 2002 to St Kilda. Wasn't a great year.

But your point is very valid, it's a rarity that pick one turns out to be the best player in the draft.

Back