Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

hippyhippy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Having Pick 1 in the bank is a wonderful luxury to have. It will be hard to get wrong.
And having first pick of both days in the draft makes me think that there will be some magic happening.
Im petty sure I heard hamish say Jack watts was clearly the best also... All the recruiters said it

I would trade pick 1 or 2 for multiple top 10 picks of given the chance

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
It is clear you have no idea what we are doing, in terms of a list rebuild
I think that we all know that you are rebuilding.
In fact, I think it's a good rebuild.
In fact, it's probably in your top 2 rebuilds out of 5 in the last 20 years.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
If you can’t use history as a guide how can you analyze anything.
It’s just a guessing game.
The Carlton supporters that are left are the True rusted on. Beaten and broken to the point of purity. They cling on to the lifeboat, adrift in the ocean, bobbing and splashing, every sparkle of stars on the water in the distance a possible ship to rescue. Eventually, they wash up on shore they find a rod and bait, they cast again and again but alas, no big fish, then finally, they carve SOS into the sand and wait for their prayers to be answered.

JennyTalia

All Australian
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Carlton supporters that are left are the True rusted on. Beaten and broken to the point of purity. They cling on to the lifeboat, adrift in the ocean, bobbing and splashing, every sparkle of stars on the water in the distance a possible ship to rescue. Eventually, they wash up on shore they find a rod and bait, they cast again and again but alas, no big fish, then finally, they carve SOS into the sand and wait for their prayers to be answered.
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Your research is really poor.
  • Compare Stocker to next year's draftees, not this year
  • Many of the recruits we added were before the current regime
  • Many of the recruits we added were salary dumps for trading in other players
  • The side you listed, most were poor decisions from past regime
If you or any other supporter think we will finish bottom, or 2nd last for that matter, happy to have a wager with anyone of you, $1000K perhaps? ;)
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Would we give up Pick 1 for Rankine?
It really depends on what kind of year he has, if he lights it up and looks like he'll be a superstar then yeah we would. If he get injured or struggles I feel we wait till his contract is up and simply hand over what ever first rounder we have that year, if he signs an extension in the first year and then spuds it up maybe only need a 2nd

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would we give up Pick 1 for Rankine?

Depends. Can we get him for our 2020 and 2021 firsts with a third coming back? If so then, I’d be happy to wait and get him a year later and add an extra pick 1 to the list. If Luko AND Rankine look likely to come home then definitely. Take one with pick 1 2019 and the other with our next 2 firsts. Maybe both in 2019 for pick 1, 19 and our 2020 1st if they tell GC they are leaving at the end of their contracts.

I actually think both Rankine and Luko’s value will have dropped significantly if they aren’t prepared to sign extensions. Part of the value that you place on taking them as draftees is that you might be able to keep a player you would otherwise not be able to attract. Once they say they are leaving, that value diminishes. Not sure if that will be reflected when we try to trade for them though.

EC, you are better than that, basing future outcomes on what has taken place in the past is flawed and you know it

Like me suggesting that your club will continually yo-yo in and out of finals without ever winning a flag

Perhaps take note of where people had sides like North, WC, Pies finishing this year, before the start of the season

Teams that are coming off a 2 win season don't have the luxury of saying that "we could jump upwards". That is not a result you end up with just due to bad luck/external factors, more as a club you've ****ed up to the point that you're so far the 8 ball that any jump is simply impossible as you cannot feasibly make up that ground within 1 year. Now if you finished somewhere between 1 and 14, or had been around that mark for a while and dipped for a year, I could be persuaded by that line of rhetoric because the league is even enough that luck/external factors could quite feasibly be the difference between two finals at home and missing it all together. There is a big jump between that group and 15-18 though.

Past performances is usually a solid indicator of what would happen, or at least a solid indicator of when it's time to really panic with a long term plan. Something that if Carlton (and their supporters) had even a shred of honesty about their position, they should be doing because to believe your rebuild is working right now is just baffling.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like we have an infestation of sosages...

592510_a1014fe3f43ff7f92af6cf85a9c706fc.gif

Lucky you didn't search for sausage gif at work. the results would have been terrible

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Tweet deleted ??!!

Methinks the author Sarah Olle has ****ed up because she's removed the line that said O'Neill was "in the pipeline" to be picked up by the Roos as an NGA
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...y/news-story/cf7eb4f2d0be76a8ab50adf81bcc76a2

Mitch O’Neill is hoping to follow in the same footsteps as his Allies teammate and first-round draft pick, Tarryn Thomas.
And as one of three bottom-agers in the 2018 All-Australian team, the midfielder is poised to do just that.

O’Neill was one of six Academy products to attend a week-long club experience at Arden Street, with the Tasmanian teenagers training alongside AFL stars. It’s just another way North Melbourne is strengthening its relationship with the Apple Isle.

“It’s massive learning from the older boys because they’ve got so much experience and knowledge of the game,” O’Neill told foxfooty.com.au.

Popleyzia

Draftee
Dec 17, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows trade pick 2 (received from Carlton) and pick 20 (received from GWS) for Rankine and pick 6.

Crows can then go to the draft with pick 6, use pick 6 to trade for one of Harrison Himmelberg or Aaron Francis (both out of contract), or trade for more currency in 2020 to make a play for Lukosius.

Assumptions:
1 - Carlton finish bottom 3 (I have them finishing 17th)
2 - Brisbane climbing a little (I have them finishing 13th)
3 - Gold Coast are not confident in keeping Rankine past 2020, thus are open to trading him in 2019.

Obvious alternative:
Crows go to the draft with pick 2 and select a top end prospect. Dylan Williams, Brodie Kemp, Noah Anderson, Matthew Rowell, Luke Jackson or Sam Flanders all look to be decent talents.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows trade pick 2 (received from Carlton) and pick 20 (received from GWS) for Rankine and pick 6.

Crows can then go to the draft with pick 6, use pick 6 to trade for one of Harrison Himmelberg or Aaron Francis (both out of contract), or trade for more currency in 2020 to make a play for Lukosius.

Assumptions:
3 - Gold Coast are not confident in keeping Rankine past 2020, thus are open to trading him in 2019.

Obvious alternative:
Crows go to the draft with pick 2 and select a top end prospect. Dylan Williams, Brodie Kemp, Noah Anderson, Matthew Rowell, Luke Jackson or Sam Flanders all look to be decent talents.

Take 6 to the draft. Wouldn’t pay 6 for either of those. Maybe HH. Definitely not Francis. But I’d pay it for Orazio.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Methinks the author Sarah Olle has ****** up because she's removed the line that said O'Neill was "in the pipeline" to be picked up by the Roos as an NGA
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...y/news-story/cf7eb4f2d0be76a8ab50adf81bcc76a2

Mitch O’Neill is hoping to follow in the same footsteps as his Allies teammate and first-round draft pick, Tarryn Thomas.
And as one of three bottom-agers in the 2018 All-Australian team, the midfielder is poised to do just that.

O’Neill was one of six Academy products to attend a week-long club experience at Arden Street, with the Tasmanian teenagers training alongside AFL stars. It’s just another way North Melbourne is strengthening its relationship with the Apple Isle.

“It’s massive learning from the older boys because they’ve got so much experience and knowledge of the game,” O’Neill told foxfooty.com.au.
Yep Olle made a mistake, giantroo from the NM board replied to her pointing out the mistake

There's no way O'Neill is NM academy eligible

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights

Assumptions:

Obvious alternative:
We're not getting Rankine at the end of next year, so no need to worry about that one. At the end of 2020, maybe, but GC will be utterly desperate to keep him.

I'd definitely be taking Carlton's 1st to the draft, not sure about our two 2nds though, see what comes up (i.e. who requests trades to and from us, there'll no doubt be another player in contract that wants to move)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Take 6 to the draft. Wouldn’t pay 6 for either of those. Maybe HH. Definitely not Francis. But I’d pay it for Orazio.
With his history of soft tissue injuries I certainly wouldn't and given what other "proven" players have brought at the trade table that looks like overs to me..

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
With his history of soft tissue injuries I certainly wouldn't and given what other "proven" players have brought at the trade table that looks like overs to me..

Yeah. Not considering that and it’s a very fair point. But fit and firing he and Grundy are the two SA players that I’d want to bring back and we will have to pay through the nose to do it.

Luko and Rankine I’d also pay up for at this early stage, but after a season we have to judge them on what they show.

Back