Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

how do you feel about it?
Proven but only 5 years of peak player
or unproven, potential and 10 years (if they dont leave for a Vic club)
I would be happy if it looked like we could challenge for another flag after this year. If this year goes to shot and it looks like some of our core are on the way out, then I would want us to go to the draft.

I would be happy if it looked like we could challenge for another flag after this year. If this year goes to shot and it looks like some of our core are on the way out, then I would want us to go to the draft.
who does he push out?

Essendon weren’t going to give him up cheap, what makes you think they would have?

Despite what the media reported, and what we all think he was worth, Essendon offered him up cheap towards the end of the trade period in 2017, and neither is nor Port took them up on the offer.

Given his talents, I find that extremely surprising and it probably speaks volumes of where he was at mentally more than anything else.

Credit to both him and Essendon for turning it around, he’s a superb player. But yes imo, the boat has sailed and I think he will be with the bombers for a while longer.

Despite what the media reported, and what we all think he was worth, Essendon offered him up cheap towards the end of the trade period in 2017, and neither is nor Port took them up on the offer.

Given his talents, I find that extremely surprising and it probably speaks volumes of where he was at mentally more than anything else.

Credit to both him and Essendon for turning it around, he’s a superb player. But yes imo, the boat has sailed and I think he will be with the bombers for a while longer.
Whats cheap?

According to who?

How would people feel about ybecrows swapping Carlton’s first next year for Josh Kelly?

Of course. Any club would do that. The question would be how would you feel about paying him north of $1m a season. He isn’t going to choose the crows because of the amount of money he can earn in Melbourne.

With Sloane’s new deal you can forget about any $1m a season player for the next 3-4 seasons I reckon. Sauce will free up a fair bit, but a lot of that will be needed to keep players on their next contracts.

According to who?

According to someone, that has been on the money time and time again.

Make of it what you will. I got shut down (of course, it’s the AFC board) when I mentioned it a few months ago amongst trade discussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, people probably won’t believe it, but was told a 3rd rounder.
I know you have a good source on this, but it goes against every previous Essendon trade to think this could be true. It HAS to be the other way around, surely.

Gc is golden for the spoon... Next should be either carlton or saints... I think the saints list is worst. . So gonna put them 2nd spooners... Port smokey for 3rd imho... Then Carlton.. So who's looking like a star for pick 4?

I haven't looked at port's fixture but I tend to think that interstate sides need to be diabolical to finish bottom 3. Don't see Port being close to that bad

Crows trade pick 2 (received from Carlton) and pick 20 (received from GWS) for Rankine and pick 6.

Crows can then go to the draft with pick 6, use pick 6 to trade for one of Harrison Himmelberg or Aaron Francis (both out of contract), or trade for more currency in 2020 to make a play for Lukosius.

Assumptions:
1 - Carlton finish bottom 3 (I have them finishing 17th)
2 - Brisbane climbing a little (I have them finishing 13th)
3 - Gold Coast are not confident in keeping Rankine past 2020, thus are open to trading him in 2019.

Obvious alternative:
Crows go to the draft with pick 2 and select a top end prospect. Dylan Williams, Brodie Kemp, Noah Anderson, Matthew Rowell, Luke Jackson or Sam Flanders all look to be decent talents.

That seems a pretty heavy discount on a contracted player taken at 3 the previous year. I couldn’t see 2 getting it done let alone the 20 to 6 upgrade.

Again, people probably won’t believe it, but was told a 3rd rounder.

If that’s the case then we made a big booboo...

I was quite disappointed that we weren’t able to work something for Francis in the 2017 trade period. He was a like for like for Lever, an elite talent with a clear reason for his struggles to that point and SA boy to boot.

I hope we weren’t too shy following Menzel...

Just my opinion but no way do I see Adrian Dodoro signing off on a 3rd round draft pick for a lad that they had invested so heavily in up to that point, just goes against a decade of Dodoro's history of dealing. He didn't get the reputation of being an absolute r-sole to deal with for no good reason.

Back