Resource Pick 1 (+POLL) - What would you do with it?

Pick 1 - What will you do with it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
20201101-jpg.1000426
I'll leave the poll unlocked but here are current votes not long before trade week so could be a good snapshot of peoples' views.

Maybe someone can pick the 4 most likely players for us to draft with pick 1 and poll who everyone in here would like to see? I haven't seen all the players so seeing what consensus would be interesting for the sake of it.
Ok, will put a poll in this new thread (since the 2020-draft is heading for covid lockdown soon) ... standby.

Alrighty... some assumptions:

* Assume we have no compo pick 2 - this zeroes in what you would do with pick 1.

* Let's ignore FS/Academy players we're unlikely to be able to get - assume Hamish makes the requisite bids on WB, Sydney, etc.

* You can have multiple votes (for those who can't make up their minds).

* You can change your vote(s) anytime.

* Voters are publicly visible.

* I'll use Knighmare's current power rankings to pick the 4 or so names that have been posted about most here.

So, the choices:

Trade into 2021 draft
It might look a bit weird to have a pick trade as an option but I reckon we might have a real opportunity to get a low 2020 pick as well as get draft stock for next year when we might really, really want to get Horne. For the sake of this choice, let's say we get an offer to do this - say Swans are desperate for McDonald so will trade pick 4 and their 2021 r1 for pick 1 (including any sweeteners to make the deal acceptable both parties).

Other
Please post who/what you have in mind would be helpful.

Logan McDonald
ronald-e-png.969817

Current stand out KPF achieving in the WAFL.

Will Phillips
phillips-e-png.969818

Concerns seem to be possible go home factor.

Elijah Hollands
hollands-e-png.969820

ACL injuries seem to be what stops him being near universal choice for pick 1.

Riley Thilthorpe
tilly-e-png.969821

Local Crows supporting lad who might have fallen lower in favour lately, especially with E.Himmelberg's recent improvement.

I can add more player options if some crop up often enough.

Player Videos (mostly from Mutineer's posts)

* Kaine Baldwin .
James Borlase (Sturt) .
Tanner Bruhn [interview] .
Jackson Callow ... [vid.2] ... [vid.3] .
* Braeden Campbell [@3m25s] .
* Malachy Carruthers (sturt) ... [vid.2] .
* Brayden Cook (south) ... [vid.2] .
* Nikolas Cox .
* Zac Dumensy (south) .
* Eddie Ford ... [interview] .
* Jack Ginnivan [interview] .
* Denver Grainger-Barras ... [vid.2] ... [vid.3 @4m30s] .
* Oliver Henry [interview] ... NAB Draft Class .
* Riley Holder (glenelg) .
* Elijah Hollands .
* Lachie Jones (wwt) .
* Zavier Maher [interview] [post] .
Finlay McRae .
Logan McDonald ... [WA combine] .
* Henry Nelligan (norwood) .
Nathan O'Driscoll (@7m00s) ... [interview] .
Luke Pedlar .
* Archie Perkins .
* Will Phillips [interview] .
* Caleb Poulter ... [vid.2] .
* Tom Powell (sturt) .
* Xavier Robins (glenelg) .
* Jack Saunders (norwood) .
* Henry Smith .
* Phoenix Spicer (south) .
* Conor Stone .
* Riley Thilthorpe ... [vid.2 @7m50s] .
* Zane Trew ... [interview] .
* Jamarra Ugle-Hagen [@0m00s] .

* Bunch of posts with SANFL AFL Combine tweets (Borlase, Edwards, Cook, ...).

Last edited:

Well, Other has got a good start :grin:

Would be good to see your preference.
I'd bid on Braeden Campbell and be happy if Sydney didn't match (I think they wiill).
I'd then bid on Jamarra Ugle Hagan and be happy if the Dogs didn't match (I think they will)
I'd then take Elijah Hollands in that scenario.
Mission accomplished and assists how we use our other picks.

Assuming no Pick 2, I’d bid on JUH, and then select McDonald.
Could Also consider getting WB 1st rounder for 2nd & other pick in our favour on the promise we won't bid on JUH... as they would save significant points.

I'd bid on Braeden Campbell and be happy if Sydney didn't match (I think they wiill).
I'd then bid on Jamarra Ugle Hagan and be happy if the Dogs didn't match (I think they will)
I'd then take Elijah Hollands in that scenario.
Mission accomplished and assists how we use our other picks.
Ah yeah, that was an assumption (to disregard FS/Academy players) I added that got scrubbed when I added a poll to the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's the option for not getting pick 1, but pick 2?
You mean because we bid on JUH and is matched? Think we should ignore bids on FS/Academy players we're very unlikely to get as it just muddies the waters.

Oh wait, you mean if the Roos do a super TANK and we let our guard down :( - just transfer votes to Pick 2 - What would you do with it? I guess.

I'm going Hollands but if you look at needs, we are well stocked with KPPs.

Worrell
Butts
McAsey
Fogarty
Himmelberg
Doedee

I'd even consider McAdam and Frampton.

I think if it's line ball, go mids.

unpopular I think but I would try and cut a deal with Sydney for their 1st and their 2021 1st with us maybe giving back a 2nd rounder there..maybe. This assumes we hold brad crouch. I just think that there is no standout at the very top that is not academy aligned and I would be happy to pick one of Thilthorpe / McDonald / Hollands or Phillips with the Sydney pick and bank another 1st in the strong draft next year

I'd definitely like a key forward first and foremost from this draft. Spend big to replace Tex and let them build around Himmelberg and co.

From there onwards, I'd focus on midfield for the rest of the picks before NGA.

[tenor.com] soul-train-happy-dance-hip-bump [e].gif

Also thought it a good opp to copy over some chat from the draft watch thread...

And I don’t think we would get him at pick 1. So if we get the same player at pick 2 as we would have at pick 1 anyway, what’s the difference? May as well go all out for the win and try and avoid the spoon.
Yeah... but then we lose the ability to be able to say to another club, we may be trying to negotiate a trade with, “look, we are trying to trade in good faith with you here but you are not being reasonable so we may just have to pick up _____ in the PSD”...

What if a trade for a currently OOC Caldwell, hately, Sparrow etc etc type player goes wrong in the up and coming trade period and they are forced into the PSD?..

It would just be like this club to hand the first opportunity to North Melbourne to pick that player up... all because we had to instead prove how great we are by winning a dead rubber against the tigers... for nothing more than a “my dicks bigger than yours” exercise in futility.

Sure, I agree with most here, I couldnt give a flying fck about having pick 1 or 2 in the main draft.. we will get a bloody great prospect at either pick...

But pick 1 in the PSD could be an extremely valuable commodity this year given their are not only some decent players OOC this trade period that may not find a new home but, with potential list reductions, you just never know what half decent player might fall through the cracks and end up in the PSD..

Do we want first dibs on that player?.. or do we want to hand that nice little advantage over to Norf?..
Pick one would also help with dealing with Sydney and Bulldogs. "make the deal sweeter and we wont bid on your academy player" has massive points ramifications in the draft.

And, and ... pick 1 gives us first dibs should there be a club like Sydney, Hawks, Freo, ... that might be desperate for pick 1 this year to get McDonald, say, that might allow us to leverage into the 2021 draft.

So say Sydney would be willing to trade their pick 4 and 2021 r1 for our pick 1 and 2021 r2 pick - that still gives us a shot at getting one of the current top 4 we might want and extra draft ammo next year to try and get Horne, or just an extra pick in the reputed talent rich r1 next year.

So to sum it, pick 1 gives us:
* PSD leverage to use in trades
* Academy bidding leverage for pick trades this year
* Leverage into 2021 draft r1

So yeah, holding pick 1 definitely has benefits to letting it go.

Here's a controversial one...

Do we trade our 2021/1st to North for pick 2, potentially giving us 1, 2 and 3 in this draft.

Sounds crazy, but I'm quite bullish we won't be bottom 3 after what we've seen the last month, not just form us, but also from Melbourne, North and Hawks.

The question would be, are the top 3 this year better than 5-8 next year?

I'm going Hollands but if you look at needs, we are well stocked with KPPs.

Worrell
Butts
McAsey
Fogarty
Himmelberg
Doedee

I'd even consider McAdam and Frampton.

I think if it's line ball, go mids.

Mids -

B Crouch
M Crouch
Laird
Schoenberg
Hately
Jones
Sparrow
Sloane
Keyes
McHenry ...

Id be taking hollands for the number one pick. Elite user of ball on both sides, hits the scoreboard, play inside and out and not scared to get dirty.
Has a knee injury, doesn't get much of the ball?

Back