Resource Pick 1 (+POLL) - What would you do with it?

Pick 1 - What will you do with it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a controversial one...

Do we trade our 2021/1st to North for pick 2, potentially giving us 1, 2 and 3 in this draft.

Sounds crazy, but I'm quite bullish we won't be bottom 3 after what we've seen the last month, not just form us, but also from Melbourne, North and Hawks.

The question would be, are the top 3 this year better than 5-8 next year?
I think we need to stay involved in next years draft. This year is so unpredictable with all the Vic Kids not playing. There will most likely be a few missed in the top 10 this year. If anything we probably should be aiming to get more picks next year.

Mids -

B Crouch
M Crouch
Laird
Schoenberg
Hately
Jones
Sparrow
Sloane
Keyes
McHenry ...
Assuming we lose B Crouch, Imagine a possible starting centre square next year..O'Brien, M Crouch, Shoenberg (this kid is going to be a star) and Laird.. then rotate through there Sparrow, Hately, Keays with the additions of say Hollands maybe later in the year..a young and fresh look at our future centre square set up

Sloane becomes a permanent half forward and Jones works through the half forward line and has bursts in the middle

I'd bid on Braeden Campbell and be happy if Sydney didn't match (I think they wiill).
I'd then bid on Jamarra Ugle Hagan and be happy if the Dogs didn't match (I think they will)
I'd then take Elijah Hollands in that scenario.
Mission accomplished and assists how we use our other picks.
Exactly the same strategy.
Whatever we do bid on Campbell and later Jones.

Last edited:
Assuming no Crouch compo
Assuming WB and Syd snub our offers to get their first rounders off of them.

Bid on JUH , WB match
Bid on Campell, Syd match

Then trade it out to say hawks at 3 for their next years second rounder
Hawks pick someone, kangaroos pick someone, neither hollands or tilthorpe picked yet
We pick up Tilthorpe at 3.
Syd's pick's gone.

Offer GC a tempting offer 8 plus something for their 5, get 5 pick hollands.

Or leave 8 where it is and bank on Hollands lasting.

Job done.

EDIT actually you could bid on Jones with 8, might get him, might not. Might lose hollands if you do get Jones though.

Assuming no Crouch compo

Bid on JUH , WB match

Hawks pick someone, kangaroos pick someone, neither hollands or tilthorpe picked yet
Syd's pick's gone.

Job done.

EDIT actually you could bid on Jones with 8, might get him, might not. Might lose hollands if you do get Jones though.
I'm betting Hollands will be one of the prime candidates once Campbell and JUH are off the table.
We either take him early (if that's who we want) or lose him.

Assuming no Crouch compo

Bid on JUH , WB match

Syd's pick's gone.

Job done.

That is unlikely to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm normally not a complainer!

But I do wish we had a thread to house all the (obviously) PlayStation trade hypotheticals.

Then, I wouldn't have to trawl through/over them.

Dismounts Soap Box... :)

Assuming no Crouch compo

Bid on JUH , WB match

Syd's pick's gone.

Job done.

simply no

Western Bulldogs effectively have pick 1 with whatshisname. I don't follow the draft that closely but apparently the Bulldogs have first dibs on the best player available.

1. We don't have 2 of those yet
  2. Sloane will be effectively gone in 2 years
  3. We may lose Brad
  4. You can play more than 6 mids, but not KPPs
You named players like Doedee and Worrell that are third talls.

By that logic, we need a minimum six a week.

We have McAsey as a long term key defender and Himmelburg and Fogarty as hopeful key forwards. Butts might become a key defender, but even he is currently better suited to the Doedee role.

We need a genuine tier 1 key forward, and should try to find a project key defender in the next year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm normally not a complainer!

But I do wish we had a thread to house all the (obviously) PlayStation trade hypotheticals.

Then, I wouldn't have to trawl through/over them.

Dismounts Soap Box... :)
What posts are you actually expecting to read?

If you don't want to read people proposing trade ideas, do you just want the draft threads to be the same five names getting mentioned over and over and over again? That would get boring REALLY fast.

I'd definitely like a key forward first and foremost from this draft. Spend big to replace Tex and let them build around Himmelberg and co.

From there onwards, I'd focus on midfield for the rest of the picks before NGA.

Pick 1 and bcrouch for rankine and a mature classy midfield utility. Will have to add bling to that trade with multiple clubs.

If we want to develop Forwards, we got to get the ball to them. And fogarty is a much better player, in the role he had in the sanfl.

It was clear as the driven snow, the impact he had as a defensive winger at stoppages.

I have my concerns about picking KPFs as #1. N. Riewoldt was obviously a champion but, otherwise, they don't live up to their expectations. Look at Watts, Patton, McCartin and Boyd (although Boyd did win the Dogs a flag with his one good game). I'm leaning towards Hollands purely because we lack some class in the middle. Having a Bont-like player running around is exactly what we need.

Last edited:
Could Also consider getting WB 1st rounder for 2nd & other pick in our favour on the promise we won't bid on JUH... as they would save significant points.

Sounds like draft tampering.

Surprised for how few posters voted for Thilthorpe.

Given Walker is probably at the end of his career, I would have thought many wanted a KPF who could play in the forward line with Fogarty for the next 10 years.

Could be your Kennedy/Darling.

Pick 1 and bcrouch for rankine and a mature classy midfield utility. Will have to add bling to that trade with multiple clubs.

If we want to develop Forwards, we got to get the ball to them. And fogarty is a much better player, in the role he had in the sanfl.

It was clear as the driven snow, the impact he had as a defensive winger at stoppages.

The only club in history to trade pick #1 was Freo in 2001 who traded #1, #4 for Croad and some other stuff.

Pick #1 was Luke Hodge.

Don't do it! It will haunt you for decades.

The only club in history to trade pick #1 was Freo in 2001 who traded #1, #4 for Croad and some other stuff.

Pick #1 was Luke Hodge.

Don't do it! It will haunt you for decades.
McPharlin was part of that trade as well. It was him and Hodge for #1, #20 and #36. The Hawks picked Daniel Elstone with #20 (who?) but the other 2 picks were Hodge and Mitchell. As good as McPharlin was, was he worth that sacrifice?

I have my concerns about picking KPFs as #1. N. Riewoldt was obviously a champion but, otherwise, don't live up to their expectations. Look at Watts, Patton and Boyd (although Boyd did win the Dogs a flag with his one good game). I'm leaning towards Hollands purely because we lack some class. Having a Bont-like player running around is exactly what we need.
I agree totally with you. Taking a key position player with pick one is a massive risk. I remember watching jack watts in the under 18s championshis and he dominated and deserved to go number one but he never lived up to it.

Taking a midfielder is much lesser risk and i would definately be taking hollands. Hollands is the most skillful midfielder i have seen in the under 18s for quite a while and i watch quite a bit of it. Sure he is coming off an acl injury but if the club is confident he is recovering well im taking him.

If we do like mcdonald i would only take him if we have pick 1 & 2.

Sounds like draft tampering.

Surprised for how few posters voted for Thilthorpe.

Given Walker is probably at the end of his career, I would have thought many wanted a KPF who could play in the forward line with Fogarty for the next 10 years.

Could be your Kennedy/Darling.
Getting a favourable trade for not bidding has been occurring for years.

The 1st draft order manipulation for bidding points was actually between West Coast & Sydney when they twice swapped picks.

The AFL allow it, so we need to once again use it to our advantage like when we have prized good picks from GWS.

What posts are you actually expecting to read?

If you don't want to read people proposing trade ideas, do you just want the draft threads to be the same five names getting mentioned over and over and over again? That would get boring REALLY fast.
Dude, my post was a friendly jibe. Why so serious?

In essence, my preference is to read posts referring to trade ideas with a semblance of reality to them, and there are plenty of those on here, thankfully. I was referring to the never-gonna-happen, long-winded trade hypotheticals that involve multiple picks, multiple players, between multiple clubs. Science fiction.

Now, THAT'S BORING (to me, anyway).

Back