Resource Pick 1 (+POLL) - What would you do with it?

Pick 1 - What will you do with it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a favourable trade for not bidding has been occurring for years.

The 1st draft order manipulation for bidding points was actually between West Coast & Sydney when they twice swapped picks.

The AFL allow it, so we need to once again use it to our advantage like when we have prized good picks from GWS.

You're right, West Coast has always been pretty crafty with pick trading.

What WC and SS did was trade a pick future picks, bid and then trade picks back with a bit of extra on top for the hassle.

AFL has now changed the rule so you can't trade the same pick back to the same club without the pick going through a 3rd club, effectively ruling that scenario happening in the future.

The only club in history to trade pick #1 was Freo in 2001 who traded #1, #4 for Croad and some other stuff.

Pick #1 was Luke Hodge.

Don't do it! It will haunt you for decades.

Pick 1 has been traded four times (and twice involving the club you support), going by https://www.draftguru.com.au/trades trade tracker:

In 1988 Hawthorn traded Paul Harding, Peter Russo and Robert Handley for pick 1 from St. Kilda. Ending in a nil-all draw as McDonald (the player hawks used for pick 1) played 100 games for the hawks, and that collective played 100 games for Saints between them (+-5 for both)

In 1992 West Coast traded Tony Begovic and Scott Watters to Sydney for pick 1, which was used to select Drew Banfield. Both players Sydney received had the left the club by 1995.

In 1996 Port Adelaide traded pick 1 and 24 to secure the services of Ian Downsborough from West Coast. West Coast selected Michael Gardner and Josh Wooden. Port got someone who played 7 games... and well, West Coast got a pretty good ruckman.

and finally, the Hodge trade.

Getting a favourable trade for not bidding has been occurring for years.

The 1st draft order manipulation for bidding points was actually between West Coast & Sydney when they twice swapped picks.

The AFL allow it, so we need to once again use it to our advantage like when we have prized good picks from GWS.
Thing is, clubs cannot be forced to bid on other clubs' players so I don't think we can be done for not bidding because we got something else favourable.

The thing that came out of the Tiprat saga is that one of the main principles of draft tampering is not to be unfair to other clubs (according to wikipedia).

Any trade we make with Syd with us not bidding on Campbell as one of the things on the table, other clubs can try to offer us with alternative trades, or go to Sydney and offer them something to deal with bids on Campbell.

Other clubs are not prevented from pitching better offers to us or Sydney, so I don't think it is being unfair on them if we do make a deal with Sydney.

Oh, and just don't put anything in writing!

Pick 1 has been traded four times (and twice involving the club you support), going by https://www.draftguru.com.au/trades trade tracker:

In 1988 Hawthorn traded Paul Harding, Peter Russo and Robert Handley for pick 1 from St. Kilda. Ending in a nil-all draw as McDonald (the player hawks used for pick 1) played 100 games for the hawks, and that collective played 100 games for Saints between them (+-5 for both)

In 1992 West Coast traded Tony Begovic and Scott Watters to Sydney for pick 1, which was used to select Drew Banfield. Both players Sydney received had the left the club by 1995.

In 1996 Port Adelaide traded pick 1 and 24 to secure the services of Ian Downsborough from West Coast. West Coast selected Michael Gardner and Josh Wooden. Port got someone who played 7 games... and well, West Coast got a pretty good ruckman.

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

It also backs up my point.

Trading pick #1 is a terrible idea.

Dude, my post was a friendly jibe. Why so serious?

In essence, my preference is to read posts referring to trade ideas with a semblance of reality to them, and there are plenty of those on here, thankfully. I was referring to the never-gonna-happen, long-winded trade hypotheticals that involve multiple picks, multiple players, between multiple clubs. Science fiction.

Now, THAT'S BORING (to me, anyway).
Any trade scenario involving trading out pick 1 or bringing in Rankine are pure fantasy. No chance either happen.

Forget Andrew McLeod, Pick #1 AND #24 for Ian Downsborough has to be the single worst trade of all time in any sport, ever. The people on the wrong end of the Manhattan purchase would look at that and think 'We might have been ripped off and defrauded and lost all our land, but thank * we didn't trade pick #1 for Ian Downsborough'

Pick #1 not enough? Did they chuck in #24 as a sweetener? Were they somehow obliged to trade pick #1?

Forget Andrew McLeod, Pick #1 AND #24 for Ian Downsborough has to be the single worst trade of all time in any sport, ever. The people on the wrong end of the Manhattan purchase would look at that and think 'We might have been ripped off and defrauded and lost all our land, but thank fu** we didn't trade pick #1 for Ian Downsborough'

Pick #1 not enough? Did they chuck in #24 as a sweetener? Were they somehow obliged to trade pick #1?

Ok, so wikipedia has a tid-bit with this:

"At the end of 1996 Downsborough was signed to the incoming Port Adelaide as a free agent. West Coast also traded Shane Bond and Brayden Lyle to the Power to ensure the Eagles could get the #1 pick in the 1996 AFL draft as compensation for losing Downsborough" .

So it doesn't look like a direct trade, but instead some weird *ery for FA compensation.

Ok, so wikipedia has a tid-bit with this:

"At the end of 1996 Downsborough was signed to the incoming Port Adelaide as a free agent. West Coast also traded Shane Bond and Brayden Lyle to the Power to ensure the Eagles could get the #1 pick in the 1996 AFL draft as compensation for losing Downsborough" .

So it doesn't look like a direct trade, but instead some weird f***ery for FA compensation.

I think Port were given a few 1st rounders that they had to "trade out" as a part of their start up concessions. Similar concept to the GWS minidraft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised for how few posters voted for Thilthorpe.

Given Walker is probably at the end of his career, I would have thought many wanted a KPF who could play in the forward line with Fogarty for the next 10 years.

Could be your Kennedy/Darling.

Fogarty's probably our Walker replacement and with Himmelberg coming along well we're probably pretty comfortable that we don't necessarily need to go tall with our first pick.

What we need is some genuine elite midfield, matchwinning talent and Hollands probably best covers this.

Whilst most of us would like to see us increase the number of locally born/bread players on our list, I don't think pick one is the place to do this, nor is it to be too focused on needs.

Thilthorpe's a great prospect and I've no doubt we rate him highly, however I'm not sure he's quite pick 1 material, more a 3-10 range type. Key issue is he probably hasn't quite confirmed his best position, is it forward or ruck? Not that I'd be disappointed if we do pick him btw.

Lets say North Melbourne want Mcdonald really bad and we trade pick 1 and our atkins compo for pick 2 and Melbourne's first round pick?

Sounds like draft tampering.

Surprised for how few posters voted for Thilthorpe.

Given Walker is probably at the end of his career, I would have thought many wanted a KPF who could play in the forward line with Fogarty for the next 10 years.

Could be your Kennedy/Darling.
Draft tampering isn't something that the AFL pursues, and they haven't for 30 years.

Clubs can choose to draft or not draft whoever makes the most commercial sense for them.

The only club in history to trade pick #1 was Freo in 2001 who traded #1, #4 for Croad and some other stuff.

Pick #1 was Luke Hodge.

Don't do it! It will haunt you for decades.
That might as well be the 1920s. The science of drafting and trading has advanced exponentially since then.

Dude, my post was a friendly jibe. Why so serious?

In essence, my preference is to read posts referring to trade ideas with a semblance of reality to them, and there are plenty of those on here, thankfully. I was referring to the never-gonna-happen, long-winded trade hypotheticals that involve multiple picks, multiple players, between multiple clubs. Science fiction.

Now, THAT'S BORING (to me, anyway).
Okay - fair enough. :)

I sometimes overreact when people call everything a PlayStation trade. It shits me off, because often it's from people who aren't exactly contributing quality posts themselves.

Apologies on being a tool this time though

You're right, West Coast has always been pretty crafty with pick trading.

What WC and SS did was trade a pick future picks, bid and then trade picks back with a bit of extra on top for the hassle.

AFL has now changed the rule so you can't trade the same pick back to the same club without the pick going through a 3rd club, effectively ruling that scenario happening in the future.
Draft order manipulation happened well before that.

Off the top of my head, I remember it happening with GWS, GCS and Melbourne, and not bidding on Jack Viney after getting a beneficial trade.

Lets say North Melbourne want Mcdonald really bad and we trade pick 1 and our atkins compo for pick 2 and Melbourne's first round pick?
let’s wait see if they pick up cameron or daniher cos then north would pick hollands and that would be a disaster

I think Port were given a few 1st rounders that they had to "trade out" as a part of their start up concessions. Similar concept to the GWS minidraft.
The concept of swapping #1 for Ian Downsborough is so bad even that even I want what you posted to be true

Has anyone suggested we trade 1 out? Some (including me) have said trade it down a bit (in my case no lower than 4).
Trade out or trade down, no way we do either. Small chance we might trade pick 2 if we get it but no chance we use pick 1 in any deal.

Fogarty's probably our Walker replacement and with Himmelberg coming along well we're probably pretty comfortable that we don't necessarily need to go tall with our first pick.

What we need is some genuine elite midfield, matchwinning talent and Hollands probably best covers this.

Whilst most of us would like to see us increase the number of locally born/bread players on our list, I don't think pick one is the place to do this, nor is it to be too focused on needs.

Thilthorpe's a great prospect and I've no doubt we rate him highly, however I'm not sure he's quite pick 1 material, more a 3-10 range type. Key issue is he probably hasn't quite confirmed his best position, is it forward or ruck? Not that I'd be disappointed if we do pick him btw.

I guess Hollands is probably as close to a born and bred South Aussie as your gonna get. Crows supporter and has lived in SA previously. I don’t think the go home factor would be there for him.

Back