Resource Pick 1 (+POLL) - What would you do with it?

Pick 1 - What will you do with it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we do bid on Braeden but can't see Sydney not matching.

I’m not sure if there’s a scenario where this could occur but if our pick 1 is worth 3000 points or whatever it is, and our first pick is matched and we have effectively pick 2 does it’s points value drop to pick 2 and so on if you do it again. If it was traded would it be then worth less points As it’s effectively pick 3?

I don’t know who it is, but pick the best big-bodied midfielder available.
hollands is as close as it gets because he has the height to get to that eventually after a few years playing more forward and on the outside. it’s certainly not will phillips who is more of what we already have.

Here's something for you guys:

Adelaide is likely to cost its prized draftee a shot at becoming the richest teenager football has seen by bidding the No.1 draft pick on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
The Western Bulldogs have priority access to Ugle-Hagan through their Next Generation Academy and would match the bid, forcing the Crows to pick again at No.2.

The Dogs will secure a 20 per cent discount on the points value of those picks, but having to match a bid at No.1 would still see them pay more than taking Ugle-Hagan at No.3.

NAB, the major sponsor of the AFL national draft, confirmed to News Corp it had recommitted to handing an extra $10,000 to this year’s No.1 pick.

The bank said it would be paid as cash shortly after the draft and would go to Ugle-Hagan should the Bulldogs match a bid at No.1.

It will be a difficult decision for the Crows to either bid on a player they would immediately lose or select a player they would actually keep.

But Adelaide’s policy under list boss Justin Reid and recruiter Hamish Ogilvie has always been to rigorously follow their draft order, even if it means they are bidding on rival players.

Adelaide has repeatedly bid on rival players, including North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas and GWS players Harry Himmelberg and Harry Perryman.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been likened to Lance Franklin.
Adelaide will not publicly confirm its talent order until the night of the draft, but recruiters are in agreement that Ugle-Hagan is the best player.

The Crows have been linked to talent including SANFL key ruckman/forward Riley Thilthorpe, who fits their needs as a replacement for former captain Taylor Walker.

This year’s No.1 draft pick could receive as much as $210,000 before a potential finals series next year.

Under the AFL Players’ Association’s Collective Bargaining Agreement the maximum earnings for top-20 draft picks will jump to $200,000.

They will pocket a base salary of $100,000, match payments of $4000 and can also receive a $12,000 bonus, plus NAB’s $10,000 for the No.1.

The AFL wants players to take a pay cut however the AFLPA is strongly resisting after this year’s $90 million sacrifice.

Adelaide bidded on Tarryn Thomas in the first round. Picture: Michael Klein
If the Crows bid on Ugle-Hagan their supporters could feel aggrieved at walking away from a wooden-spoon season without the player their club wanted, and their No.2 pick also wouldn’t be thrilled at missing out on the $10,000.

But if Ugle-Hagan quickly proves he was clearly the best in the draft the Crows will be able to counter that they at least bid on him and kept the Dogs honest.

The commercial cost of dropping from No.1 to No.2 would also be a consideration for some clubs, although more so for 17th-placed North Melbourne than the Crows.

Marketing teams enjoy selling hope to their fans after securing the best kid in the country.

Melbourne drew an extra 10,000 people to Queen’s Birthday in 2009 by unveiling No.1 pick Jack Watts in what was effectively a marketing ploy.

But that proved to be a hindrance for Watts and the pressure of being No.1 must be weighed up against the promotional value.

If Ugle-Hagan somehow slips past the Crows then the Kangaroos would bid.

Ugle-Hagan is a lightning-fast Indigenous tall likened to Lance Franklin and his pace will help him create mismatches on taller opponents, with most track-watchers believing he will play early next season.

The AFL’s draft will be held around December 7, with live bidding to again be held on the night.

Here's something for you guys:

Adelaide is likely to cost its prized draftee a shot at becoming the richest teenager football has seen by bidding the No.1 draft pick on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
The Western Bulldogs have priority access to Ugle-Hagan through their Next Generation Academy and would match the bid, forcing the Crows to pick again at No.2.

The Dogs will secure a 20 per cent discount on the points value of those picks, but having to match a bid at No.1 would still see them pay more than taking Ugle-Hagan at No.3.

NAB, the major sponsor of the AFL national draft, confirmed to News Corp it had recommitted to handing an extra $10,000 to this year’s No.1 pick.

The bank said it would be paid as cash shortly after the draft and would go to Ugle-Hagan should the Bulldogs match a bid at No.1.

It will be a difficult decision for the Crows to either bid on a player they would immediately lose or select a player they would actually keep.

But Adelaide’s policy under list boss Justin Reid and recruiter Hamish Ogilvie has always been to rigorously follow their draft order, even if it means they are bidding on rival players.

Adelaide has repeatedly bid on rival players, including North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas and GWS players Harry Himmelberg and Harry Perryman.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been likened to Lance Franklin.
Adelaide will not publicly confirm its talent order until the night of the draft, but recruiters are in agreement that Ugle-Hagan is the best player.

The Crows have been linked to talent including SANFL key ruckman/forward Riley Thilthorpe, who fits their needs as a replacement for former captain Taylor Walker.

This year’s No.1 draft pick could receive as much as $210,000 before a potential finals series next year.

Under the AFL Players’ Association’s Collective Bargaining Agreement the maximum earnings for top-20 draft picks will jump to $200,000.

They will pocket a base salary of $100,000, match payments of $4000 and can also receive a $12,000 bonus, plus NAB’s $10,000 for the No.1.

The AFL wants players to take a pay cut however the AFLPA is strongly resisting after this year’s $90 million sacrifice.

Adelaide bidded on Tarryn Thomas in the first round. Picture: Michael Klein
If the Crows bid on Ugle-Hagan their supporters could feel aggrieved at walking away from a wooden-spoon season without the player their club wanted, and their No.2 pick also wouldn’t be thrilled at missing out on the $10,000.

But if Ugle-Hagan quickly proves he was clearly the best in the draft the Crows will be able to counter that they at least bid on him and kept the Dogs honest.

The commercial cost of dropping from No.1 to No.2 would also be a consideration for some clubs, although more so for 17th-placed North Melbourne than the Crows.

Marketing teams enjoy selling hope to their fans after securing the best kid in the country.

Melbourne drew an extra 10,000 people to Queen’s Birthday in 2009 by unveiling No.1 pick Jack Watts in what was effectively a marketing ploy.

But that proved to be a hindrance for Watts and the pressure of being No.1 must be weighed up against the promotional value.

If Ugle-Hagan somehow slips past the Crows then the Kangaroos would bid.

Ugle-Hagan is a lightning-fast Indigenous tall likened to Lance Franklin and his pace will help him create mismatches on taller opponents, with most track-watchers believing he will play early next season.

The AFL’s draft will be held around December 7, with live bidding to again be held on the night.

He left out that the next 4 players drafted also receive $5000

I voted on McDonald but I’m split between he and Hollands. I watched the Giant Roo clip of Hollands again last night and jeez there’s a lot to like. A couple of insanely clean pickups below his knees. Looks as comfortable on his left as he does on his right and has a very penetrating kick which is a good point of difference to Sloane, Laird, and the Crouch’s.

I wouldn’t judge McDonald on yesterday’s game, the weather here was atrocious, I don’t think any young KPF would of stood out in those conditions. Really looking forward to the U18s games they have scheduled for October here. Will definitely head down to have a look. Will be interesting to see how players like McDonald, ODriscoll and DGB stack up against players of their own age.

So what Ralph is saying is that we're going to cost our first pick $10000 by picking the best player who we can't have. Correct?

What about JUH who is apparently the clear standout in the draft? - doesn't get picked at No1, even though he's the best, because teams know Bulldogs already have him, so is left until Bulldogs pick, and misses out on the No1's $10000.

If this is so, it's such a fcked system, just like the AFL. Or have I missed something?

So what Ralph is saying is that we're going to cost our first pick $10000 by picking the best player who we can't have. Correct?

What about JUH who is apparently the clear standout in the draft? - doesn't get picked at No1, even though he's the best, because teams know Bulldogs already have him, so is left until Bulldogs pick, and misses out on the No1's $10000.

If this is so, it's such a fcked system, just like the AFL. Or have I missed something?

Just sounds like Ralph trying to get Western Bulldogs to pay less for JUH.

We would be absolutely mad not to bid on him, why make another teams draft hand stronger?

Fogarty's probably our Walker replacement and with Himmelberg coming along well we're probably pretty comfortable that we don't necessarily need to go tall with our first pick.

What we need is some genuine elite midfield, matchwinning talent and Hollands probably best covers this.

Whilst most of us would like to see us increase the number of locally born/bread players on our list, I don't think pick one is the place to do this, nor is it to be too focused on needs.

Thilthorpe's a great prospect and I've no doubt we rate him highly, however I'm not sure he's quite pick 1 material, more a 3-10 range type. Key issue is he probably hasn't quite confirmed his best position, is it forward or ruck? Not that I'd be disappointed if we do pick him btw.
Why do people still continue to refer to Hollands as “an elite midfielder”??

When from his very own draft notes;

The 188cm Wodonga native has a knack for the mercurial, able to break games open with bursts of brilliance in the form of opportunist goals, bursting runs, or high-flying marks. Hollands was one of the rare bottom-agers to play all four national carnival games as a bottom-ager in 2019, and further proved his status as a high-end prospect with an eye-catching performance in the Under 17 Futures All Stars fixture.

While he spent most of his time as a forward or on the outside at the Under 18 level, the Murray product had eyes on moving into the midfield in his top-age season. His value over time in the engine room remains to be seen, but one thing for certain is that Hollands is a rare talent and one of the absolute best of his cohort.”

he is a forward who “had eyes on moving into the midfield in his top-age season”.. a season since destroyed by going down with an ACL.

its austounding that everyone has this lad being an elite midfielder set in stone.. when he’s not proven he even capable of it yet.

How do we know he can become a fulltime elite midfielder?.. Can someone please explain that, or is it just wishfull thinking?..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted on McDonald but I’m split between he and Hollands. I watched the Giant Roo clip of Hollands again last night and jeez there’s a lot to like. A couple of insanely clean pickups below his knees. Looks as comfortable on his left as he does on his right and has a very penetrating kick which is a good point of difference to Sloane, Laird, and the Crouch’s.

I wouldn’t judge McDonald on yesterday’s game, the weather here was atrocious, I don’t think any young KPF would of stood out in those conditions. Really looking forward to the U18s games they have scheduled for October here. Will definitely head down to have a look. Will be interesting to see how players like McDonald, ODriscoll and DGB stack up against players of their own age.
yes wait til you see hollands live — you won’t have any doubt any more. yes the acl is a risk but I’m more worried about ronald mcdonald who has come from nowhere and suddenly pick 1.

He left out that the next 4 players drafted also receive $5000
Yeah... but if he wrote that into his comments it would completely destroy his already frail arguement..

seriously, I dont know how these *in morons actually get paid...

if brouch ends up staying then it will be a tough decision out of hollands and mcdonald. I really like hollands but we need another key forward badly.

If our pick slides from 1 to 3 then probably. Theres no clear standout (non NGA) from what I can gather.

At 3 we can still get one of Hollands, Thilthorpe or McDonald.

I would rather use Pick 1 and tell the Dogs we intend to use it for the best player of the draft and see what they come up with first.

10k is huge for a kid coming out of school. Not so much if you happen to be on a AFL list.

I don't even know why Ralph is talking about it. It's insignificant in the scheme of their career.

10k is huge for a kid coming out of school. Not so much if you happen to be on a AFL list.

I don't even know why Ralph is talking about it. It's insignificant in the scheme of their career.

A 1st years players contract is a base of about $100k. :think: (with $5k per game)

So $10k in the scheme of things is not that big.

Im confident the Crows will also find a way (legally I hope) to remunerate a player. Much like how the Suns got their sponsors to give them cool things. :drunk:

In fairness though the $10k is for the best player drafted at Pick 1, if that happens to be JUH then so be it.

Our goal is to do whats best for the AFC, not a charity to give away $10k to a player.

Yeah, agree. If we draft the sort of player with Pick #1->2 who is immediately salty about missing out on a $10k payment from NAB instead of happy to be in the AFL, I have a strong feeling that they will be out the door in a couple of years when a big Vic club offers them 600k a year for 5 years after 15 games.

Because Ralph is a dick, and sticking to AFL media form is trying to find something negative about the Crows, even before it ******* happens.

We should be picking all the ‘untouchables’ and force the hand of teams tied to them.

Back