Resource Pick 1 (+POLL) - What would you do with it?

Pick 1 - What will you do with it?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so wikipedia has a tid-bit with this:

"At the end of 1996 Downsborough was signed to the incoming Port Adelaide as a free agent. West Coast also traded Shane Bond and Brayden Lyle to the Power to ensure the Eagles could get the #1 pick in the 1996 AFL draft as compensation for losing Downsborough" .

So it doesn't look like a direct trade, but instead some weird f***ery for FA compensation.

Port could sign five uncontracted players and the clubs they were signed from got picks 1-5 and 24-28, in reverse ladder order. We did a deal with Port where we sent them a couple of decent players in Shane Bond and Brayden Lyle on the cheap (for pick 57), and in return they would not only sign Downsborough as one of their five, they wouldn’t sign anyone from a club that finished below us so we were guaranteed to get pick one.

So it wasn’t that they traded pick 1 for Downsborough, as hilarious as that would be.

(Sydney did give us pick 1 for Scott Watters and Toby Begovich though, of their own free will. That was a shocker)

Agreed. I honestly believe we'll get thilthorpe at pick 8
Fogarty's probably our Walker replacement and with Himmelberg coming along well we're probably pretty comfortable that we don't necessarily need to go tall with our first pick.

What we need is some genuine elite midfield, matchwinning talent and Hollands probably best covers this.

Whilst most of us would like to see us increase the number of locally born/bread players on our list, I don't think pick one is the place to do this, nor is it to be too focused on needs.

Thilthorpe's a great prospect and I've no doubt we rate him highly, however I'm not sure he's quite pick 1 material, more a 3-10 range type. Key issue is he probably hasn't quite confirmed his best position, is it forward or ruck? Not that I'd be disappointed if we do pick him btw.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah... but if he wrote that into his comments it would completely destroy his already frail arguement..

seriously, I dont know how these fu**in morons actually get paid...
You see the thing is. It is good for Victorian media, and their audience to find a way to put a negative spin on how the Adelaide Crows are going to treat whoever they pick in the draught, poorly. Or water down any positive news our club could get out of marketing of having the number one draft pick.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

people forget Hollands is an Adelaide supporter, that surely ads to his resume along with being the most talented in the draft this year. would be devastated if we don't get Hollands
he referred to himself as born and bred in adelaide and that would generally suggest he identifies as being from adelaide - i don’t care about the other picks but i want hollands at pick 1

he referred to himself as born and bred in adelaide and that would generally suggest he identifies as being from adelaide - i don’t care about the other picks but i want hollands at pick 1
hes that X factor we need, could be CHF or a big body midfielder, he's just an enthralling player at his level, would be ecstatic if we land him. however would also be rapt if we get Mcdonald.

If the Swans make the 8 in 2021, is the trade a good move?
I think a pick one this year is worth a minimum 2 firsts next year. You have no idea where anyone will end up. Who would have swapped last years pick 4/5 for the crows 2020 1st.

Adelaide wont get pick 2 with all the draft tampering news coming out. The recently leaked AFL articles don't help either. Free agency compo isn't there to give you a direct replacement (full value) for a player if your side doesn't want them or cant match the salary. Otherwise its subject to tampering like we're currently seeing with St Kilda trying to 'free up space' to offer crouch more. If you want a better pick than band 2 then force the trade.

Adelaide wont get pick 2 with all the draft tampering news coming out. The recently leaked AFL articles don't help either. Free agency compo isn't there to give you a direct replacement (full value) for a player if your side doesn't want them or cant match the salary. Otherwise its subject to tampering like we're currently seeing with St Kilda trying to 'free up space' to offer crouch more. If you want a better pick than band 2 then force the trade.
If it was draft tampering it wouldn’t be legal.
Whether or not it helps the compensation is yet to be seen, but it’s definitely not draft tampering .

Oh so band 1 only applies to victorian side give me a break

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really didn't need your grafitti on one thread let alone two Boner.

If the supposed trade between Adelaide and st kilda to free up more space provides the saints market value then its not draft tampering. At all. What the saints do with that money is up to them. If it was me I'd use it to ensure i didn't have to pay a first round pick or 2 for a free agent. Just because it impacts your pick doesn't mean it's not allowed

Or Saints can offer $750K to not trade and keep their 1st rounder......

Back