Strategy Pick 1 Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get too carried away with pick one.

Have heard from two people, one in AFL clubland (not AFC), the idea of a lottery for non finalists for draft picks could be tested this year

The justification being the shortened season for not just AFL, but underage comps.

This will be talked about in August/September.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

That's the public reason. The real reason is someone other than Gold Coast, Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, GWS or St Kilda is likely to get the #1 pick for the first time since Richmond in 2004 (excluding Essendon's cheat year)

That's the public reason. The real reason is someone other than Gold Coast, Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, GWS or St Kilda is likely to get the #1 pick for the first time since Richmond in 2004 (excluding Essendon's cheat year)
The real reason is AFC will earn it and we can't have that

Have heard from two people, one in AFL clubland (not AFC), the idea of a lottery for non finalists for draft picks could be tested this year

The justification being the shortened season for not just AFL, but underage comps.

I will cancel my membership if the AFL allow it to happen this year.

Can't wait for us to take a KPF, only to have this board complain for the next 10 years that they get no supply because we haven't got elite mids......
They'll complain we took the local KPF when we should have taken the 180cm Vic metro mid

Should we start a " Death riding Fremantle " thread ?

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
On Freo, would like us to be into Valente now as contract up at end of the year. Over injuries now and bulked up over two years. Worth the chance on a local guy you know has character. Adds a midfielder assuming Brouch goes too.

Oh that is so AFC. Can't even tank to get no 1 pick without the AFL saying bend over we are about to screw you over again.

I don't think they'll change the rules for this season, I mean a large number of scouts have been let go from most clubs and you want a lottery.... Nah.

I think the ground swell for VIC bias is pretty real this year, its not just 1 or 2 low level radio personalities talking about it anymore. But if they truly floated this it would turn into a full blown storm that the AFL can't afford.

They already have WA teams furious right now, both Adelaide clubs are perennial kicking posts for the paid AFL Media, they've treated the QLD clubs with utter disregard for the last 15 years.

If they pulled the rug out with a lottery when a SA based club finally has the #1 pick I think most commentators would finally see this comp for what it has truly become.

Just straight up FIFA levels of painfully obvious corruption!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the ground swell for VIC bias is pretty real this year, its not just 1 or 2 low level radio personalities talking about it anymore. But if they truly floated this it would turn into a full blown storm that the AFL can't afford.

They already have WA teams furious right now, both Adelaide clubs are perennial kicking posts for the paid AFL Media, they've treated the QLD clubs with utter disregard for the last 15 years.

If they pulled the rug out with a lottery when a SA based club finally has the #1 pick I think most commentators would finally see this comp for what it has truly become.

I'd actually like Adelaide, Port, WC and Freo stand up to the AFL and say no, this isn't happening, we will forfeit games, etc if you pull this sort of crap

I'd actually like Adelaide, Port, WC and Freo stand up to the AFL and say no, this isn't happening, we will forfeit games, etc if you pull this sort of crap
Eventually if the non Vic clubs want to get some equality in the AFL system they will need to stand up together and present a united front. The AFL is so terrified of negative press that I genuinely don't think they would be able to handle a scandal like that, especially after COVID.

Hell even the threat of presenting a united front against the VIC bias would most likely rattle the AFL into some form of action. They caved into giving the GC a wildly over the top draft stimulus package because an old white man threatened to become a 6000 pound Gorilla. Imagine what they would do if a third of the AFL clubs came at them with a long list of grievances!

You think? I think we'd just roll over and take it without a whimper of protest out of West Lakes.

Eventually if the non Vic clubs want to get some equality in the AFL system they will need to stand up together and present a united front. The AFL is so terrified of negative press that I genuinely don't think they would be able to handle a scandal like that, especially after COVID.

Hell even the threat of presenting a united front against the VIC bias would most likely rattle the AFL into some form of action. They caved into giving the GC a wildly over the top draft stimulus package because an old white man threatened to become a 6000 pound Gorilla. Imagine what they would do if a third of the AFL clubs came at them with a long list of grievances!
Especially if it's the teams like WC and Adelaide who are bringing in the money for the league. We are a so called 'big club', so it's time to start actually using that rather than just taking the negatives associated with it.

Adam Simpson saying they are just going to leave the hub - I like it. They've done their bit, now it's time for Vic clubs to do the same.

You think? I think we'd just roll over and take it without a whimper of protest out of West Lakes.
You're right, we would probably just thank them for their infinite wisdom and take our inevitable pick 10 in the lottery like good the little lemmings we are.

But the media would and should go completely bats**t crazy. And some clubs who actually have a bit of backbone like Freo and Sydney probably would likely kick up a fuss as well.

You are 100% correct, but it simply can't happen.

The teams that need to stand together are;
West Coast (financially strong and independent)
Adelaide (financially ok, but weak as piss)
Fremantle (financially ok, but on borderline)
Port Adelaide (always on AFL life support and handouts)
Brisbane (AFL handouts)
Gold Coast (AFL Handouts)
Sydney (sometimes strong but still need AFL funding to survive)
GWS (building on field, but still on life support off it)

That literally leaves two teams that could stand together, but only one that actually has the strength to do it.

Maybe one day the clubs will be strong enough to stand on their own feet, but it's a long way off. Just as the VFL wants it...

Especially if it's the teams like WC and Adelaide who are bringing in the money for the league. We are a so called 'big club', so it's time to start actually using that rather than just taking the negatives associated with it.

Adam Simpson saying they are just going to leave the hub - I like it. They've done their bit, now it's time for Vic clubs to do the same.
Really? I didn't see that. Good on them for standing up to the man!

On a side note, If i wasn't such a Crows tragic I think I would be a Eagles fan. They seem like a very easy club to stand behind.

That's OK, as long as they also have a premiership lottery to decide who wins the flag.

To be honest, the idea of a draft lottery was once worth looking into but it pretty much died when they allowed Essendon to keep pick 1 after the supplements scandal saw most of their team suspended. After that, how can you ever justify not giving pick 1 to the legitimately bottom-placed team?

Is there a third Adelaide-based team in the AFL that I've forgotten about? Because you can't seriously be talking about the Crows standing up to the AFL.

That's OK, as long as they also have a premiership lottery to decide who wins the flag.

To be honest, the idea of a draft lottery was once worth looking into but it pretty much died when they allowed Essendon to keep pick 1 after the supplements scandal saw most of their team suspended. After that, how can you ever justify not giving pick 1 to the legitimately bottom-placed team?

Geelong would end up with both the flag and pick 1.

Is there a third Adelaide-based team in the AFL that I've forgotten about? Because you can't seriously be talking about the Crows standing up to the AFL.
No, but we all know there are two clubs down at Alberton, despite what they tell us

You're right, under our current 'leadership', we wouldn't cause any ripples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back