Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

More impressed with him today than I was last week. Never stopped or complained against bigger bodies and worked his backside off. Still able to show his class late in the game when others were tiring.
Agree. Thought he might have run around the mark with his last kick for goal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd like someone to point out an error that Walsh has made with ball in hand - just one over the course of 2 JLT games. Walsh is already a top5 player for Carlton in my books - scary good - extremely pleased the new Carlton didn't get sucked into soggy biscuit reach for Shiel and give up getting this future Captain of the Club. Fisher/SPS/Cuningham/Dow/LoB can all look to how he plays if they want a role model for their running game and knowing how to position for team mate's advantage.

I'd like someone to point out an error that Walsh has made with ball in hand - just one over the course of 2 JLT games. Walsh is already a top5 player for Carlton in my books - scary good - extremely pleased the new Carlton didn't get sucked into soggy biscuit reach for Shiel and give up getting this future Captain of the Club. Fisher/SPS/Cuningham/Dow/LoB can all look to how he plays if they want a role model for their running game and knowing how to position for team mate's advantage.

Walsh is showing composure, work ethic beyond his years.

Only one very very minor observation, I love that he takes the game/opposition on, but when he decides to side step an opponent and rebalance, it disrupts the space our leading/outlet targets have further up the ground, which stifles ball transition

Either move the ball on with first option, or continue to gain ground, to disrupt the opposition press

As I said, just a minor observation

Looking forward to seeing him run all night on the G

He'd be around 10th imo

Cripps, Charlie, Murphy, SPS, Simpson are clearly ahead of him in 2019 (not a bad thing).

The best thing about this guy is that he's completely selfless, he doesn't try to take on everyone or blaze away instead he makes the right decision every single time. He'll win plenty of individual awards (bnf's mvps etc) along the way purely from being the least selfish player on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh is showing composure, work ethic beyond his years.

Only one very very minor observation, I love that he takes the game/opposition on, but when he decides to side step an opponent and rebalance, it disrupts the space our leading/outlet targets have further up the ground, which stifles ball transition

Either move the ball on with first option, or continue to gain ground, to disrupt the opposition press

As I said, just a minor observation

Looking forward to seeing him run all night on the G
That could also be regarded as an advantage, as it was in JLT 1 when he unexpectedly sidestepped and went inboard through centre corridor; in that it disrupts the opposition defenders reading of the upcoming play, and reduces the probability of an intercept. The key is for his team mates to learn his mode of play.

That could also be regarded as an advantage, as it was in JLT 1 when he unexpectedly sidestepped and went inboard through centre corridor; in that it disrupts the opposition defenders reading of the upcoming play, and reduces the probability of an intercept. The key is for his team mates to learn his mode of play.

While you never want to stifle players wanting to take the game on, the key is the gameplan, not an individual's mode of play

While you never want to stifle players wanting to take the game on, the key is the gameplan, not an individual's mode of play

Like I said in my preview for Richmond game- pretty obvious the 'game plan' is a work in progress atm. Players have to start learning to combine with each other in little one two three passages of play - very little evidence of this atm but Walsh and SPS with ball in hand are the boss...I am 100% confident they wont F*** up a basic skill execution - cant say that for ANY other player atm - eg Fisher yesterday was as bad as Murphy in his disposal efficiency - really poor game.

Fun, albeit meaningless, exercise. Assuming fit I'd very arbitrarily have top 10 rankings something like:
Cripps
Docherty
C Curnow
Weitering
Simpson
Kreuzer
SPS
Walsh
Murphy
Marchbank

Incredible that Walsh could easily be argued higher.

Noticed the Collingwood players being quite physical with young Sam.

His opponents also ran extremely hard both ways.

He looked quite fatigued at the end of the match. But kept wiling himself on..

Will be all the better for it.

It is a right of passage for any #1 draftee - he shrugged it all off and kept motoring for 4 quarters- way fitter than most other Carlton players already. He could have won the game for Carlton in the last 2 minutes with that kick from 45-50 meters out - but I'm happy he can have that to look forward too in a real game. His second game was more impressive than his first JLT - Collingwood took the game quite seriously on TV Buckley stressed the importance of finishing off the game to reinforce their 'brand' in his final quarter rev up. Their defensive mix is their achilles heel - too short.

Walsh will be right behind Cripps as our 2nd best midfielder in blink of an eyelid. He’ll be a great Carlton player.

Why 2nd best? From what I’ve seen in his first professional games of AFL (seen all 3) if he improves in line with average AFL standards of improvement (with his work ethic you would assume that’s the bare minimum) he’ll be as good if not better than Crippa within 3 to 4 years, maybe even sooner. That’s saying something! Add Samo and Dow who show elite traits as well and by 2021 we’ll have four of the premiere midfielders in the game in their prime or entering their prime and Walsh is more than likely going to be the best of the lot. Plus Setters, Fish and Obrien who could be anything as well. Exciting times to be a blues supporter

Walsh will be right behind Cripps as our 2nd best midfielder in blink of an eyelid. He’ll be a great Carlton player.

I personally trust the ball in Walsh's hands more than Murphy at the moment.

That's not a knock on Murphy either. Consider it a glowing appraisal of Walsh.

Still think we need to temper our expectations though because as the season starts, things will become more physical and the game will be played at a higher intensity.

I have no doubt that he'll be a very good long term prospect for us.

Why 2nd best? From what I’ve seen in his first professional games of AFL (seen all 3) if he improves in line with average AFL standards of improvement (with his work ethic you would assume that’s the bare minimum) he’ll be as good if not better than Crippa within 3 to 4 years, maybe even sooner. That’s saying something! Add Samo and Dow who show elite traits as well and by 2021 we’ll have four of the premiere midfielders in the game in their prime or entering their prime and Walsh is more than likely going to be the best of the lot. Plus Setters, Fish and Obrien who could be anything as well. Exciting times to be a blues supporter

I was referencing to his immediate impact, this season, in course of the next few years agree with you , he’ll be our best midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back