Pick 10 +68 traded for Hawks 23 and 36 +first round of 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell some talk absolute s**t on here.

One day we are going to sit back and marvel at the genius of the man...Clarko. While we are passing the Carltons of the world in premiership totals, the rest of the comp are hating us more than they do now and we have the middle finger up, giving them the biggest fk you ever.

We are trend setters and every other side wants to be us. Enjoy tye ride, cause it only gets better from here on in.

Last edited:
A lot of hand-wringing going on here, which is understandable given how attached we become to our players. We are the family club, after all. But I have almost complete faith in Clarko and Wright and am excited about what will unfold in the next few years. Christ I'm going to miss Sammy, but the bloke has been with us for four flags and 300 games, and deserves to leave on his own terms with every Hawks fans' blessings.

Wake me up when trade period is over
You may as well stay awake for this, Hawthorn is making it the most watchable trade period in history whatever your view on it is. We will never die wondering.

upload_2016-10-14_23-10-58.png

It is the Draft that you can sleep through as we currently enter it at pick 52 (assuming pick 10 is for O'Meara) which will be closer to 60 after Academy and F/S is included. Will likely only use 3 picks in draft - currently 52, 68 and 70. Pick 88 for Mitchell unlikely to even be utilised.

Lewis almost certainly out the door. In divorce terms "irreconcilable differences". May pick up Demons second round pick there.

May get pick 16 for Hartung and Whitecross to Brisbane.

Last edited:

let me get this straight.

we are paying pick 10, brad hill/pick 23 , future first round , another second round pick for omeara plus more players as part of the deal to gold coast?

i want omeara but this cost is enormous and so much pressure on the kid now.

Not to nitpick but the brad hill/pick 23, future first and other second round pick (36) were traded to get pick 10 and 68.

Depending on what GW has up his sleeve it is looking like next years first, pick 36, brad hill and a hartung/whitecross type for JOM. To me that is not too bad a deal really, especially if we can get a third rounder back somehow.

Can recall Dangerfield deal got done with a #9 pick, 28 pick & Dean gore. Dangers was a proven star, and arguably the best player in the league. If were paying pick 10, practically losing our first round pick next year, Billy & whitex. I think that is madness. Gold coast have us in a barrel as they said we have to pay top dollar. We can't back out as we committed to O'Meara back in July.

I'm into the intrigue massively!
Very bold move to disregard, to some extent, these picks.

Whatever happens in trade period, I think that the rookie listings will be the coup de grace to this whole shebang almost to the point of the Mitchell trade in terms of WTF!

We will go to the PSD & Rookie draft with a light list & pull some left field picks to cover 2017 & beyond.

Edit: looking at the delistings & retirements from afl clubs, there are 6-12 players that could be regarded reasonable depth IMO.

Last edited:
I reckon we'll end up with 29 (Melb), 30, 44 & 62 (GCS) and wind up with two good players out of the draft, one of whom will be better than one of GCS's top 10 draftees. People will sit back and call GW a draft genius and he'll be sitting there thinking "It's not rocket science, literally everyone said it was the most even draft in history."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to nitpick but the brad hill/pick 23, future first and other second round pick (36) were traded to get pick 10 and 68.

Depending on what GW has up his sleeve it is looking like next years first, pick 36, brad hill and a hartung/whitecross type for JOM. To me that is not too bad a deal really, especially if we can get a third rounder back somehow.

Its worth it if Jaeger isn't affected by the Injury and plays 200 games and 10 seasons by us.

You may as well stay awake for this, Hawthorn is making it the most watchable trade period in history whatever your view on it is. We will never die wondering.

View attachment 300537

It is the Draft that you can sleep through as we currently enter it at pick 52 (assuming pick 10 is for O'Meara) which will be closer to 60 after Academy and F/S is included. Will likely only use 3 picks in draft - currently 52, 68 and 70. Pick 88 for Mitchell unlikely to even be utilised.

Lewis almost certainly out the door. In divorce terms "irreconcilable differences". May pick up Demons second round pick there.

May get pick 16 for Hartung and Whitecross to Brisbane.

I think our late picks improve, as clubs taking academy players/father sons use their next available picks to make up the points. Ie, matching pick 10 might use selections 36,37,38.

So we'd go back one, and forward three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft picks used for unproven players are very overrated.
Going back to 2009 I would still take in Josh Gibson and Shaun Burgoyne over any of the drafted players.
Nat Fyfe at 20, Jack Gunston at 29 and Max Gawn 34 with the exception of maybe Dustin Martin at 3 would all be worth more than any of the first round picks.
Picks 14, 28, 29, 30, 46, 69, 70 and 86 are the drafted Premiership players.

Four premierships players were traded in to teams that year Josh Gibson picks 25, 41, Shane Mumford 28, Shaun Burgoyne 9 and Josh Kennedy 39, 46, 70.

There is still a lot to happen with the draft class of 2009, but as of now the use of picks 46, 69 and 70 have 8 premierships, double the amount of the first round picks.

Don't forget when Sam Mitchell was eligible to be drafted more then 88 players were picked before him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude ... we are paying all that to get o'meara. Yes I understand we traded those picks to get 10 and 68 but that is the price we are paying a top pick next year and two second rounders plus a player(s) still to be determined. A first and a player is all that is needed but Gold Coast are calling our bluff and we are blinking first. I trust they know better than us ... hope they are vindicated.

Dude ... we are paying all that to get o'meara. Yes I understand we traded those picks to get 10 and 68 but that is the price we are paying a top pick next year and two second rounders plus a player(s) still to be determined. A first and a player is all that is needed but Gold Coast are calling our bluff and we are blinking first. I trust they know better than us ... hope they are vindicated.

Getting Tom Mitchell for our first round pick and letting Brad Hill go for pick 23 makes sense, the rest don't. Letting Sam Mitchell go for nothing when next year we are still in premiership window was madness. Trying to secure JOM was even more madness by upsetting both our older players like Lewis/Mitchell and youngsters like Bruest as being spoken as trade bait is just bad for fabric of football club. Also, trading our only other speedster besides Smith when we have lost Hill does not make sense. Vickery on $500K is not great either, especially when it means had to let royalty in Mitchell go.

I do not understand why we had to trade with st kilda and west coast unless those players did not want to go to gold coast. Surely, pick 23, sam mitchell, Lewis (even not include in trade is sufficient) for JOM would have been more than enough. Suns are craving leadership. We have not only lost pick 23, Mitchell but now more than that in players and picks.

I do not understand why we had to trade with st kilda and west coast unless those players did not want to go to gold coast. Surely, pick 23, sam mitchell, Lewis (even not include in trade is sufficient) for JOM would have been more than enough. Suns are craving leadership. We have not only lost pick 23, Mitchell but now more than that in players and picks.

Correct no way known Sam Mitchell or Jordan Lewis want to play for the Gold Coast.

[QUOTEhttp://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf="HolyRioli, post: 47338972, member: 79860"]Mate we've brought in 3 senior players this year, our drafting is going to be minimal anyway. I'm guessing Ben Jarman as a F/S if he nominates us, and a rookie upgrade

Mate, we haven't got enough points to get Jarman at the moment excluding pick 10 we have 280 points total.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf[/QUOTE]
That's assuming that anyone bids on him

Pretty sure the Crows will and they know they can get him for cheap considering our position with picks.

We've made enough list changes this off-season that we don't need to play an active part in the draft (afl changed the rules to include trades in the mandatory list changes)
They would've gutsy to bid little, as we could still get him

Pretty sure the Crows will and they know they can get him for cheap considering our position with picks.[/QUOTE]
If Jarman nominates us then why would the Crows pick him ?

Pretty sure the Crows will and they know they can get him for cheap considering our position with picks.

We can go into debt with picks/points, so can match any bid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
How does this work? Does this mean you owe in the next draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back